The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 April 2017, 01:34 PM   #1
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Thoughts on MB&F

Did a search on this sub-forum for MB&F and didn't come up with any results. Does anyone here own a MB&F?

Lately, I've been think about the LM101. Curious to know about the ownership experience; the quality of the watches; service time and costs; and any other things to consider when buying from this brand.
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 05:09 PM   #2
archer75
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-AP- FPJ
I like their LM series a lot. It is a type of watch that many will not like but for me especially LM1 is the best. They announced yesterday that they will cease now the production and they released last edition in steel. I am offered one but probably will pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
archer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 05:52 PM   #3
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I love some of their watches, like the HM5 for example, probably because it reminds me of my childhood in the 70's in a huge way, but not a huge fan of many other models, there are 1-2 owners here, maybe they will chime in. They seem to be great watches but for some quite expensive
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 07:48 PM   #4
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
They have some very interesting designs, a unique and original brand. I'm a big fan of the LM series. Unfortunately, for the same money, most people would rather get a patek or an AP.
Old 26 April 2017, 08:22 PM   #5
texex91
"TRF" Member

I think they are interesting watches.

Would I add one, probably not, unless I had a 10-15 piece collection.

Very intriguing design and like the outside of the box thinking.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 10:11 PM   #6
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker View Post
They have some very interesting designs, a unique and original brand. I'm a big fan of the LM series. Unfortunately, for the same money, most people would rather get a patek or an AP.
I find the design of the LM series quite appealing. As you have noted, in this particular price range, there is some serious competition. But nothing thus far from the AP range has really appealed to me in the same way as the LM101.

As for Patek, I haven't come up with any direct competitor to the LM101.
Old 26 April 2017, 11:52 PM   #7
regnant
"TRF" Member

They're making watches out of this world in terms of shape and overall design. I find them cool but if I had to buy some unorthodox brand I would pick Urwerk
Old 27 April 2017, 02:42 AM   #8
lapince
"TRF" Member

If ever the prices fall more on the HM5 I will most certainly get one, was proposed 27K for the zirconium one, but that's 5-7k too much for comfort, at 22 or under I am getting one. About Urwerk I love the 210 black hawk, but the price is out of this world, 150 retail and possible around 105-110, at those prices you have serious competition. So I am interested in those watches but will either get one if prices drop considerably or at a point in my life where I have available cash and nothing and nobody to worry about, so probably never as you always have someone or something to worry about, I love watches but don't want to have watches that would sell for 2-3 years or at a fraction of what I paid for them if I need cash...
Old 27 April 2017, 03:30 AM   #9
PJ S
Banned

Depending on budget stretch, would a Romain Gauthier Insight Micro-Rotor be an alternative?

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/romain-g...o-rotor-watch/
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 08:01 AM   #10
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Depending on budget stretch, would a Romain Gauthier Insight Micro-Rotor be an alternative?

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/romain-g...o-rotor-watch/
Very cool PJ, prefer it to the MB&F Of the same type, but the price is very steep, for less you can have a Voutilainen or for more, but not loads more, you can have a Voutilainen unique piece, even the cheaper Voutilainen will be one of it's kind if you add a few K to customize the dial and movement, for me easy choice, but they are lovely
Old 27 April 2017, 08:44 AM   #11
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarky_hk View Post
Did a search on this sub-forum for MB&F and didn't come up with any results. Does anyone here own a MB&F?

Lately, I've been think about the LM101. Curious to know about the ownership experience; the quality of the watches; service time and costs; and any other things to consider when buying from this brand.
Although I do not own a MB&F watch, I have tried on several of their watches and to me the LM101 seems closest to be being a "normal" watch. I like their creative design. However there is a difference between liking their design and purchasing one to wear. I just couldn't convince myself that I would ever wear the LM101, so I passed on it as it would sit on a watch stand just for viewing.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 12:25 PM   #12
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Although I do not own a MB&F watch, I have tried on several of their watches and to me the LM101 seems closest to be being a "normal" watch. I like their creative design. However there is a difference between liking their design and purchasing one to wear. I just couldn't convince myself that I would ever wear the LM101, so I passed on it as it would sit on a watch stand just for viewing.
These are my thoughts as well. I find the MB&F LM series to be slightly unconventional yet appealing; and definitely the wearability of the LM101 is what is attracting to the piece along with a most size of 40mm as compared to the 44mm of the LM1 and LM2.

Given the relatively rarity of these pieces, it will be a challenge to find one and see it in the metal and try one on.
Old 27 April 2017, 04:21 PM   #13
Fiddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP AP PAM ROLEX
I own a couple LMs and I would say you will like it very much.
I've been worn LM1 more than 2 years and still in love with it.
LM101 is fit perfectly on the wrist.
The finishing is in the top level and on top of everything, Max always take very good with his customers.
Old 27 April 2017, 08:56 PM   #14
archer75
"TRF" Member

What do you guys think of the Last Edition of LM1 in steel? They are ceasing the production of LM1 and announced 18 pcs in steel in dark brown color. Do you think it will gain value over time - current retail price is 79 usd/chf + taxes.
Old 27 April 2017, 10:00 PM   #15
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
What do you guys think of the Last Edition of LM1 in steel? They are ceasing the production of LM1 and announced 18 pcs in steel in dark brown color. Do you think it will gain value over time - current retail price is 79 usd/chf + taxes.
I really don't think these watches will gain value, but it's the case with most independents, except very rare exceptions, at 79K plus taxes you have a ton of brands with excellent models, so I think people out there wanting to buy such a watch are not many, can't imagine them gaining value at all but pretty sure they will loose some value
Old 27 April 2017, 10:36 PM   #16
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Very cool PJ, prefer it to the MB&F Of the same type, but the price is very steep, for less you can have a Voutilainen or for more, but not loads more, you can have a Voutilainen unique piece, even the cheaper Voutilainen will be one of it's kind if you add a few K to customize the dial and movement, for me easy choice, but they are lovely
Price isn’t the only factor though, since if it were, you could name 100 models cheaper that would be an alternative option.
If you want the look but not the cost, then Bovet has it covered, with a few options.

http://www.bovet.com/timepiece/19thi...thirty-dimier/
http://www.bovet.com/timepiece/dimie...nsieur-dimier/
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 03:50 AM   #17
archer75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I really don't think these watches will gain value, but it's the case with most independents, except very rare exceptions, at 79K plus taxes you have a ton of brands with excellent models, so I think people out there wanting to buy such a watch are not many, can't imagine them gaining value at all but pretty sure they will loose some value

I need to be clear when i say gain value over time, i would expect to be at the full retail price incl vat so eur 90k. If u had without vat then u do not carry a risk. The only pitch i see is that it is the last edition, steel and only 18 pcs. The regular production in gold was trading at 50% of its retail like many of the other watches and there are not many examples to compare. Maybe I am optimistic that it will not hv the same destiny and this is what i am trying to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk