The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 February 2017, 05:27 PM   #1
lianghee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam, AP, Rolex
How do you wash your AP rubber strap?

Had my 44mm SS for close to 6months now. I wear it quite frequently. Alternative with other 3 watches once a week. I do sweat easily so I would wash the rubber strap almost everyday with warm water and hand soap. But now I have realised that it has developed a permanent kind of sweaty smell on the rubber strap.

How do I get rid of this smell other than changing a new strap? Is this normal ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lianghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 05:30 PM   #2
Skittman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please
I use Veraet products...
Both the watch spray and rubber care spray. Both work great on my rubber b strap.

Previously Owned - Yachtmaster I - Blue Dial. Sub C Date.116520 Daytona - White Dial. 116600 SD4K. 116515LN Chocolate. 116500LN Black Dial. 26320 AP ROC
Skittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 06:02 PM   #3
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Tap water and if very dirty, than toothpaste.
Old 3 February 2017, 06:15 PM   #4
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
If you wipe the rubber with acetone, then rinse in water, it will clean it and remove the shiny appearance making it like new again.
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 09:29 PM   #5
lianghee
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. Will try it out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 3 February 2017, 09:58 PM   #6
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
I massage my strap with regular soap under the tap every now and then.
Old 3 February 2017, 11:12 PM   #7
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianghee View Post
Had my 44mm SS for close to 6months now. I wear it quite frequently. Alternative with other 3 watches once a week. I do sweat easily so I would wash the rubber strap almost everyday with warm water and hand soap. But now I have realised that it has developed a permanent kind of sweaty smell on the rubber strap.

How do I get rid of this smell other than changing a new strap? Is this normal?
Change your hand soap!
Use something antibacterial (tea tree is a natural antibacterial) – avoid harsh chemicals like citrus (orange oil/lemon) which are likely to prematurely age the rubber.
Also avoid sunscreen and let any moisturiser used absorb fully.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2017, 05:57 AM   #8
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Change your hand soap!
Use something antibacterial (tea tree is a natural antibacterial) – avoid harsh chemicals like citrus (orange oil/lemon) which are likely to prematurely age the rubber.

Great points.
Any antibacterial hand soap is okay? I generally use a (cheap) like Bath+Body Co antibac hand soap - but I certainly wouldn't want any lingering smells or premature aging of rubber!!
The Veraet products won't cause this??
Thanks!!
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2017, 09:37 AM   #9
PJ S
Banned

Never used the Veraet, so can’t help with that one.

This might be useful, and you may only need to use it once or twice a week on the rubber.
If there’s no lingering smell on your wrist with your current handwash, and it’s just the strap that the odour-causing bacteria are camping on, then hopefully the above will fix the problem.
On the first use, I’d bend the strap back against its normal curvature, just so that the product can be worked into any micro-cracks there may be.

@sssteel – as you’re in the US, then you might want to look into these, asking if they’re suitable for the intended usage…I’d like to think they’ll not harm the rubber.
http://www.silversoftforskin.com/hand-sanitizer.html
https://silver-botanicals.com/produc...sanitizer.html
Old 4 February 2017, 02:26 PM   #10
lianghee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Change your hand soap!

Thanks for the advice. I have been using Kirei Kirei Anti Bacterial handwash to wash my rubber strap. I will try another brand. If it still can't get rid of the smell, I might try out veraet wash spray. I would need to order that from US as it is not available here in Singapore.

Old 4 February 2017, 04:23 PM   #11
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Never used the Veraet, so can’t help with that one.

This might be useful, and you may only need to use it once or twice a week on the rubber.
If there’s no lingering smell on your wrist with your current handwash, and it’s just the strap that the odour-causing bacteria are camping on, then hopefully the above will fix the problem.
On the first use, I’d bend the strap back against its normal curvature, just so that the product can be worked into any micro-cracks there may be.

@sssteel – as you’re in the US, then you might want to look into these, asking if they’re suitable for the intended usage…I’d like to think they’ll not harm the rubber.
http://www.silversoftforskin.com/hand-sanitizer.html
https://silver-botanicals.com/produc...sanitizer.html

Thanks for the suggestion!! Looks like a good product! Will look into ordering!
Old 5 February 2017, 03:50 AM   #12
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I have been using Kirei Kirei Anti Bacterial handwash to wash my rubber strap. I will try another brand. If it still can't get rid of the smell, I might try out veraet wash spray. I would need to order that from US as it is not available here in Singapore.
I’d almost guarantee that the smell/odour is bacteria on the strap, although that’s not ruling out the small possibility that the strap isn’t 100% as it should be or the rubber used is reacting to your skin chemistry – which you should know is a real thing, given how fragrances can often smell quite different from person to person.

The product linked to in your region might be just the ticket, since fridge manufacturers use nano-silver infused interior plastics and door seals.
Given the relative cost for the quantity, it should last a fair while, as I imagine you’ll only need 5 ml at most, to wet the whole strap, before leaving it aside to dry naturally.
Old 30 April 2017, 02:39 PM   #13
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittman View Post
I use Veraet products...
Both the watch spray and rubber care spray. Both work great on my rubber b strap.
Quote:

Well, I order multiple products from Veraet / WristClean.
However, they won't/haven't shipped them yet. I just remembered about them actually.
Sooo...... don't quite know what to say about that. Lol!
I'll keep you guys updated if I ever do receive anything.

I should have taken PJ's advice and ordered the Silver Products, but to be honest I forgot about that suggestion and just ordered from memory (WristClean)! Shame on me!

PS. I ordered a large regular watch spray, as well as both the rubber and leather strap cleaners....
Old 2 May 2017, 11:24 AM   #14
Ricky Spanish
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/YMii/50Fathoms
Thread hijack: Does anyone know how to stretch the rubber strap without deforming it? I need like 2mm and it will be perfect - it's just on the verge of uncomfortable now - the next notch bigger is too loose.
Ricky Spanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 01:12 PM   #15
sssteel
"TRF" Member

P.S. My Veraet order just shipped tonight, and they emailed me why there was a delay. Can't wait to try the products!
Old 2 May 2017, 01:56 PM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Spanish View Post
Thread hijack: Does anyone know how to stretch the rubber strap without deforming it? I need like 2mm and it will be perfect - it's just on the verge of uncomfortable now - the next notch bigger is too loose.
If you buy the short strap you'll have a middle ground by using one of the short straps and one of the regular straps. (Ditto xl strap if you have a very large wrist).

I wouldn't recommend trying to stretch it but hey, your watch
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2017, 12:33 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I wash all my watches in the shower once in a while. I use Veraet or even that KFC clean wipe sometimes for that extra shine.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote