The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 March 2017, 06:27 AM   #1
Regent street
"TRF" Member

About to take the plunge on a Diver

Hi guys,

Long time forum reader but wanted to jump in with my first post.

I am narrowing in on a long considered purchase of a ROO Diver 15710 with black dial. For me the open case back is the biggest factor vs the 15703 to see the amazing workmanship of the movement, especially as this will be my first 'holy trinity' piece.

When I first began scoping out AP I was set on the 15400, but even after trying all three dial colours it never grabbed me the same way as when I first tried on the diver - I almost bought it there and then on the spot !

One thing though that I am intrigued about is the price difference (when at full retail at any rate) between the diver and the 15400. In my book the diver, absent the virtually handmade bracelet, which clearly adds to the overall cost of manufacture should be positioned at a lower cost than the diver with a rubber strap. This is further compounded when the difference in dial manufacture method is taken into account, considering the presumed cost to manufacture difference between the stamped diver dial, and the machine turned 15400 dials.

I would be most interested in any reasons why you think it may be the case that the diver costs more - is the extra just due to the greater water protection around the gasket and crowns, or does the internal bezel bring a lot of extra manufacturing challenge and therefore cost ?

For those of you who have the diver on a bracelet, how is that as an option ? The photos I have seen on the forum look incredible.

Is this also a piece that can be sourced BNIB or near mint relatively easily by one of the sellers on here or is it best to just keep an eye out for as and when one comes available then snap it up.

Thanks all !
Regent street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 07:14 AM   #2
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
The Diver is a cool watch, I sold mine and I'm pretty sure I'll get another. The white dial is well worth trying - it doesn't photograph too well but is stunning on the wrist. I had the black face but will get the white next time.

To answer your question the Offshore range is more expensive than the RO right through the range.
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2017, 09:14 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Yes, it is part of the more expensive ROO range so is more expensive, altho if you put them side by side the bracelet is a hard thing to ignore and thus the ROs are comparatively good value.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 01:35 AM   #4
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
For your first I would skip the diver and go 15400. I have the diver and while I wear it, I do not love it. Wears a little to big for me and it is a scratch magnet. I have scratches on it that I have no idea where they came from!
Mainewatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 12:50 AM   #5
Mgsm
2024 Pledge Member

In my humble opinion, the Diver is to AP what Sub is to Rolex. Most recognizable,
right size, weight and a clean dial.
I have the 15300 and Diver.
Both wear differently - RO is elegant due to the braclet and thickness and the Diver is great for weekend and travels.
You can't go wrong with either - the 'original' AP DNA by Gerald Genta.
Try both on your wrist and let it go off for 1 week.
See which one sings to you most.
It is the journey that matters...

Sm
Mgsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 01:54 AM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
You're correct in that the royal oak line is a better value than the ROO line across the board. Imho of course.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 03:23 AM   #7
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You're correct in that the royal oak line is a better value than the ROO line across the board. Imho of course.
What is value? I agree that the RO bracelet is the best there is, but ROO is the coolest sport watch you can get. One can't go wrong with either line.

To the thread starter, buy what speaks to you. You will probably get the other in a not to distant future
Old 7 March 2017, 03:52 AM   #8
jackal981
"TRF" Member

Watch: RM FPJ PP AP R
I think the ROO Chronograph is a better buy than a Diver. However there is a bit of price gap
jackal981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 03:55 AM   #9
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
What is value? I agree that the RO bracelet is the best there is, but ROO is the coolest sport watch you can get. One can't go wrong with either line.

To the thread starter, buy what speaks to you. You will probably get the other in a not to distant future
Probably the coolest sport line would be in my book some RM models, but ROO's cleary come in second, I love the diver in ceramic but the SS is very nice, wonder if they'll make the diver in another kind of novelty material, or maybe in titanium, that would be rather cool if they made it with bracelet and gave the rubber strap extra, and blue dial, the beauty of diver on bracelet without the weight would be quite nice
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 03:42 PM   #10
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Probably the coolest sport line would be in my book some RM models, but ROO's cleary come in second, I love the diver in ceramic but the SS is very nice, wonder if they'll make the diver in another kind of novelty material, or maybe in titanium, that would be rather cool if they made it with bracelet and gave the rubber strap extra, and blue dial, the beauty of diver on bracelet without the weight would be quite nice
Touché, agree that RM is king! I'm regularly thinking of consolidating and making the leap...
A titanium diver with a blue dial... I like! Time will tell what they will do with the line, but I'm actually also to against keeping the diver series much like it is with only color options and material options to a minimum. If the do special models, they should be limited and boutique only in my opinion.
Old 7 March 2017, 04:35 PM   #11
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Depend on your lifestyle I guess. If you are the more sporty / casual kind of person, the Diver will be a better fit. BTW, I think the new yellow diver is very cool, esp if yellow is your favourite color.
Old 8 March 2017, 01:36 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
My line of thought was that for less money you're getting the iconic hand finished bracelet and excellent clasp as well as the pantograph dial. I would guess AP has stronger margins on the Diver than 15400 and in general that the ROO line enjoys stronger margins than the RO line. Hence, better "deal."

Don't mistake me for not liking the ROOs or putting them down. I like them and have owned a few

In fact the 44 Ti is tempting

Edit: whoops meant to quote you tomas....somehow quoted myself
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 03:43 AM   #13
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgsm View Post
In my humble opinion, the Diver is to AP what Sub is to Rolex. Most recognizable,
right size, weight and a clean dial.
I have the 15300 and Diver.
Both wear differently - RO is elegant due to the braclet and thickness and the Diver is great for weekend and travels.
You can't go wrong with either - the 'original' AP DNA by Gerald Genta.
Try both on your wrist and let it go off for 1 week.
See which one sings to you most.
It is the journey that matters...

Sm
Don't really agree on most recognizable, for me the most recognizable AP is clearly the RO line, but you are right on the sub for Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Touché, agree that RM is king! I'm regularly thinking of consolidating and making the leap...
A titanium diver with a blue dial... I like! Time will tell what they will do with the line, but I'm actually also to against keeping the diver series much like it is with only color options and material options to a minimum. If the do special models, they should be limited and boutique only in my opinion.
I probably would be tempted with a ti diver with blue dial and bracelet, not sure they will make one but they probably thought about the ti part
Old 8 March 2017, 06:51 AM   #14
Regent street
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all your great responses. GB-man, agree that yes the margin for AP is probably higher on the ROO diver than the RO, given the 'extra' level of complexity to produce each model. The only other thing I can imagine is the extra water protection / internal bezel boost things up a bit and the pricing is then kept in line with the rest of the ROO range.

I have tried on both the 15400 and 15710 and the diver is definitely the one that called my name ! I adore the artistry and craftsmanship that goes into making the 15400 - that bracelet is simply stunning how the light plays off the facets. But the diver just felt like the best fit for me and my day to day activities.

Is the diver bracelet also as highly polished and faceted as the RO bracelet - I can see that it's somewhat thicker in the photos on the forum and also looks less 'polished' is that true to the case in real life ?
Regent street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 10:46 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regent street View Post
Thanks for all your great responses. GB-man, agree that yes the margin for AP is probably higher on the ROO diver than the RO, given the 'extra' level of complexity to produce each model. The only other thing I can imagine is the extra water protection / internal bezel boost things up a bit and the pricing is then kept in line with the rest of the ROO range.

I have tried on both the 15400 and 15710 and the diver is definitely the one that called my name ! I adore the artistry and craftsmanship that goes into making the 15400 - that bracelet is simply stunning how the light plays off the facets. But the diver just felt like the best fit for me and my day to day activities.

Is the diver bracelet also as highly polished and faceted as the RO bracelet - I can see that it's somewhat thicker in the photos on the forum and also looks less 'polished' is that true to the case in real life ?
Diver sounds best for you. The ROO bracelets are quite heavy duty, I prefer the straps on them. I don't believe they shimmer quite like the RO bracelet.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 01:22 PM   #16
Left wrist
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP PATEK PAM ROLEX
Quote:
Hi guys,

Long time forum reader but wanted to jump in with my first post.

I am narrowing in on a long considered purchase of a ROO Diver 15710 with black dial. For me the open case back is the biggest factor vs the 15703 to see the amazing workmanship of the movement, especially as this will be my first 'holy trinity' piece.

When I first began scoping out AP I was set on the 15400, but even after trying all three dial colours it never grabbed me the same way as when I first tried on the diver - I almost bought it there and then on the spot !

One thing though that I am intrigued about is the price difference (when at full retail at any rate) between the diver and the 15400. In my book the diver, absent the virtually handmade bracelet, which clearly adds to the overall cost of manufacture should be positioned at a lower cost than the diver with a rubber strap. This is further compounded when the difference in dial manufacture method is taken into account, considering the presumed cost to manufacture difference between the stamped diver dial, and the machine turned 15400 dials.

I would be most interested in any reasons why you think it may be the case that the diver costs more - is the extra just due to the greater water protection around the gasket and crowns, or does the internal bezel bring a lot of extra manufacturing challenge and therefore cost ?

For those of you who have the diver on a bracelet, how is that as an option ? The photos I have seen on the forum look incredible.

Is this also a piece that can be sourced BNIB or near mint relatively easily by one of the sellers on here or is it best to just keep an eye out for as and when one comes available then snap it up.

Thanks all !

I've owned the diver and eventually traded it towards another piece and I really miss it.

You can find one from a trusted seller on here for a very good price. If you're flexible for a G or H serial without an open case back but with the old " wet dial" you may find an even better price. I personally like that dial more... Of course, get what you like and wear it in good health!
Left wrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 12:20 AM   #17
csi-n
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think you'll enjoy the Diver a great deal. I use it on both the rubber strap and the bracelet and feel like I own two Divers. Bear in mind, the bracelet is pretty chunky, so you'd have to sort of get used to it. Here are a couple of pics.

csi-n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 03:34 AM   #18
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Love the diver. I have the 15710 Black. Probably one of my most worn, most comfortable robust watches.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2017, 05:31 AM   #19
Phaedrus29
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure you can really rationalize the difference in price between 15400 and 15710 based on the production costs, etc. It's just a luxury product priced where they think it will sell most lucratively.

I recently traded in my 15703 for a new 15710...love the display back. No regrets whatsoever. Currently have the watch on the bracelet:

The bracelet is awesome but definitely HEAVY...it's nice to have other options to change occasionally. I have the stock rubber and also the black hornback strap from the survivor. When you switch back to a strap the diver feels super light.

I could be wrong but I think the RO bracelet has more polish to it than the ROO bracelet. The ROO bracelet just has a little polish on the top edges, while I think the RO bracelet has polish on the top and bottom of each of the little connecting links. The ROO bracelet still looks and feels like a million bucks, it just looks less shiny and more beefy and sporty.

A reputable seller on here should be able to track down a diver for you...you don't have to wait for one to pop up.
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 12:29 PM   #20
genauto
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL OF THEM
Diver

Think the DIVER is great choice. I had a black 15710 with bracelet and strap. I sold it and missed so I pick up another one, but this time figured I would try the white dial
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2811.jpg (106.6 KB, 466 views)
genauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 05:12 PM   #21
lapince
"TRF" Member

For me the coolest if you like black watches is the ceramic and I went with that one, if to choose in SS I prefer the white dial, which is strange as I am not a white dial fan, on 5 watches none has white dial...
Old 29 April 2017, 01:43 AM   #22
CSY
Banned

love the white

CSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 01:06 AM   #23
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Diver sounds best for you. The ROO bracelets are quite heavy duty, I prefer the straps on them. I don't believe they shimmer quite like the RO bracelet.
Diver must be had on the strap. The bracelet isn't as sharp as the bracelet on the Royal Oaks.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2017, 03:05 AM   #24
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY View Post
love the white

Just got one of these as well. It's a great summer sport watch with short sleeves
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2017, 04:12 AM   #25
CSY
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
Just got one of these as well. It's a great summer sport watch with short sleeves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CSY is offline   Reply With Quote