The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 April 2017, 02:40 PM   #1
nnicot
"TRF" Member

Halp. I am completely obsessed with the 15407ST

This is not going to end well. Ever since I laid eyes on it recently it has haunted my very existence, taunting me and beckoning to me with its perfectly polished bevels, its tastefully naked movement, and its slender golden hands sweeping around its body like a burlesque dancer shyly and unsuccessfully trying to protect her modesty.

It doesn't help that I visited an AP Boutique who told me "yes! It's your lucky day!" Lucky that they had one to show me, but unlucky because that example was already paid for. Now that I've fondled it there's no going back. I have to find one (from an authorized dealer, hopefully)!

Anyone have any good leads in the Taiwan or Hong Kong areas?
nnicot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 05:04 PM   #2
APAP
"TRF" Member

I hear you bro

APAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 05:17 PM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Happened to me with the 15305st at bal harbour a few years back. I would imagine the 407 is every bit as awesome. If you can, go for it!
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 05:43 PM   #4
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I was fortunate and got in line shortly after the announcement. I had to put down 25% deposit and was 5th of 5 on the list. Was told 6 to 9 months. Do not remember exact time but was just under 6 months i believe. Well worth the wait.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 06:16 PM   #5
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Must admit I was taken aback by the beauty of this watch, sadly it's highly unlikely to ever be in my collection.

Dread to think of the cost but this movement in the new full ceramic case would probably push me over the edge, emotionally and financially
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 03:04 AM   #6
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I was almost going to put a deposit on it, but I realized that I have too much money in watches already and that it wasn't very serious getting another piece, but in a few years I will probably move a piece or two and then the 15407 or the new full ceramic PC (waiting to see if prices fall a little on grey market as retail is too much for my comfort) might very well be my pick. If you can afford it go for it, not many brands make skeletons like AP...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 04:07 AM   #7
Vipes
"TRF" Member

It's predecessor ain't too shabby either.

Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 04:23 AM   #8
FlyinM3
"TRF" Member

I wish the 407 came in at 39mm
FlyinM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 04:31 AM   #9
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Congratulations on your career as a romance novelist.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 10:58 AM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
It's predecessor ain't too shabby either.

That's the ticket right there
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 11:30 AM   #11
nnicot
"TRF" Member

Ugh you guys are really not making this easy for me!! The struggle is real!!

your watches are all beautiful... ::tear::
Old 20 April 2017, 01:01 PM   #12
jem7v
Banned

Get it
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 01:47 PM   #13
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
It is a stunner

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 02:09 PM   #14
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Toledo 1952
Love my 15305OR

Sent from my Zeitwerk
Plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 02:32 PM   #15
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Beautiful watch, only one way to scratch that itch.
Old 20 April 2017, 07:27 PM   #16
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnicot View Post
Ugh you guys are really not making this easy for me!! The struggle is real!!

your watches are all beautiful... ::tear::
Oh you wanted us to discourage you from getting it? You came to the wrong place for that, most guys here will enable you, not discourage you, but I will give it a try: What putting that kind of cash in a watch? You need to be nuts, think of the great car you can get for that price (which will loose 30-40% of it's value in 2-3 years), or how many years of university you can pay for your kid (6 months, maybe 10?) Ok don't really know what else to add. It's a great watch, and the kind which looses little to zero value if you got it at the right price, don't think it will go up a lot in value, but if one day you need the cash should be rather easy to sell and get back 90-100% of your money, so I wouldn't hesitate, had I not already 5 watches and getting a 6th in 2 months I would have gotten it as I love it, the 15305 is nice as well but when I saw it in real it had a little too much grey for me, the 407 has a little more wow factor IMO
Old 20 April 2017, 09:54 PM   #17
nnicot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
the 15305 is nice as well but when I saw it in real it had a little too much grey for me, the 407 has a little more wow factor IMO
Completely agree with you about the 15305 vs 15407. I think the off-center golden balance wheel bridge really gives the watch that extra oomph. That's absolutely not to say the 15305 isn't a freaking amazing watch. If the 15305 were a nice dry-aged ribeye, the 15407 would be that ribeye with a dollup of butter on it. Of course my dr. is telling me to cut down on my butter....
Old 21 April 2017, 02:43 AM   #18
armen34
"TRF" Member

That's a beauty! I really like the skeleton dial...
armen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 03:40 AM   #19
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Here is mine.. I sometimes stare too often at it.. so when in a meeting.. looks like I am waiting for it to end.. because folks see me staring at my watch. Same is true for my pride of italy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg APskeleton.jpg (133.4 KB, 831 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2981w.jpg (117.3 KB, 838 views)
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 08:13 AM   #20
averynickt
Banned

what can you pick up a new one for?
averynickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 09:11 PM   #21
nnicot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by averynickt View Post
Short answer is you can't--they're sold out at every AD I've checked. I believe MSRP is $44.1k in steel and $76.8k in gold.
I'll probably be putting down my deposit at the boutique in the very near future and settle in for the *very* long wait!
Old 24 April 2017, 01:46 AM   #22
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by averynickt View Post
Look at smaller ADs. You won't get one for this year but I know plenty of AD's that have allocations for next year. You can get 20-25% off.
Old 24 April 2017, 01:51 AM   #23
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
Look at smaller ADs. You won't get one for this year but I know plenty of AD's that have allocations for next year. You can get 20-25% off.
20-25% on a piece which is sold out and has a waiting list? I kind of find that hard to believe, if I was an AD there is no way I would do that, on chrono24 the prices for new start at 42K and go until low 50's, so just under retail to over retail, don't see why the AD would do a big discount on such pieces, on others maybe, but that one hard to believe
Old 24 April 2017, 03:08 AM   #24
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
20-25% on a piece which is sold out and has a waiting list? I kind of find that hard to believe, if I was an AD there is no way I would do that, on chrono24 the prices for new start at 42K and go until low 50's, so just under retail to over retail, don't see why the AD would do a big discount on such pieces, on others maybe, but that one hard to believe
Well that's why if buying right was easy everyone would do it lol. It's about relationships.

I'll tell you this. My AD was going to give me that watch for a fantastic price. But I passed on it for the RG 44mm, which I am getting for a fantastic price too. He's got 10 people on the waiting list behind me just for the RG. Now if I wanted to get the 15407, I'd have to wait till next year or the year after since my AD has so many orders for that thing.

Go to small to mid size dealers. Don't go to a big dealer, you won't get any deal. Or a grey dealer. The downside is you better get in early, since small to mid size dealers will get like 2-3 of the 15407, and maybe 3-4 of the RG.

This isn't anything new. Same concept applies to highly demanded sports cars. I told my porsche dealer 2 years ago put me number one on the GT2 RS list lol. He most likely will only get one allocation. And guess what? I won't be paying a 50-100k premium for it. Same game, same strategy works in both. It's all about relationships, negotiations, what you bring to the table. I get bored of watches quick, so I flip in and out of them quickly. You wouldn't give a good discount to a new client to earn their business for years? I'd say if you didn't you were small minded.

This kinda stuff is also probably why AP is going boutique only soon lol.
Old 24 April 2017, 03:38 AM   #25
APAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree. I noticed his posts in multiple occasions where he says he can get a huge discount on the 15407 which is, imo, far from true. I would love to know who that AD is and if he'll ever get any in stock.

I have a 15407 and would buy another at retail. Many friends would kill for one.
Old 24 April 2017, 05:43 AM   #26
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAP View Post
Agree. I noticed his posts in multiple occasions where he says he can get a huge discount on the 15407 which is, imo, far from true. I would love to know who that AD is and if he'll ever get any in stock.

I have a 15407 and would buy another at retail. Many friends would kill for one.
Again....as I stated in my post, at the time I gave up my allocation for the RG so it went to the next person in the long line. But if you'd like me to give a deposit to my dealer just to show a price... I mean sure.

I've passed people on this forum to my dealer before. They know the prices are legit. Again......relationships. The only AP short of a concept that I couldn't get a big discount on, was the 15202. That one was like 15-20% and I am on a wait list for that one. Probably won't get it for at least a year. Maybe when the next racing edition comes out, probably that one too since the typically go up in value and are extremely hard to get.

If it isn't limited (as in 1 of x), it's not hard to get deals.
Old 24 April 2017, 06:24 AM   #27
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Halp. I am completely obsessed with the 15407ST

Lots of ADs say they will do this or that but until you have the watch in hand at that price it's all a circle jerk
Old 24 April 2017, 09:10 AM   #28
A3MED
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb-man View Post
lots of ads say they will do this or that but until you have the watch in hand at that price it's all a circle jerk
+1
A3MED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 10:07 AM   #29
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
Again....as I stated in my post, at the time I gave up my allocation for the RG so it went to the next person in the long line. But if you'd like me to give a deposit to my dealer just to show a price... I mean sure.

I've passed people on this forum to my dealer before. They know the prices are legit. Again......relationships. The only AP short of a concept that I couldn't get a big discount on, was the 15202. That one was like 15-20% and I am on a wait list for that one. Probably won't get it for at least a year. Maybe when the next racing edition comes out, probably that one too since the typically go up in value and are extremely hard to get.

If it isn't limited (as in 1 of x), it's not hard to get deals.
How many watches have you bought from your dealer? If you bought a decent amount from them and developed that relationship that might explain why you're getting good discounts. I recently bought my first AP, a 15400, for a decent discount but I doubt I could walk in today and get 15-20% off a 15202 or 15407 from the same AD.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 05:51 PM   #30
APAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Lots of ADs say they will do this or that but until you have the watch in hand at that price it's all a circle jerk
Precisely. A rep in an AD claimed he could get me a decent discount on the 15407. When I told his boss about it (who happens to be a good friend of mine), he just laughed.

It's probably lack of experience of that AD.