The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 24 January 2020, 04:41 AM   #1
Jhmessing
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Ceramic Sub
Thoughts on IWC?

Hi All, I’m looking to get into a IWC pilot chronograph ref 377709 with black dial on black leather strap. I have an opportunity to get one at a great deal too. Thoughts on this model and IWC overall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jhmessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:10 AM   #2
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Never owned one. But, I have admired from afar.
Old 24 January 2020, 06:25 AM   #3
eonflux
"TRF" Member

I had a 3706 a long time ago, precursor to the 3777.
That line of chronographs are great pilot watches.
Legible, practical, great quality.

More recently had a Timezoner chronograph (3950).
Awesome travel watch.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:32 AM   #4
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I own a 3706 and a Mark 18. Like them both. No problems.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:54 AM   #5
Jhmessing
"TRF" Member

Thank you. I’m entertaining a few pieces and this one is making me forget all the others!!

Old 24 January 2020, 06:59 AM   #6
MrBlahBlah
"TRF" Member

I have a Mark 18 Petit Prince Edition and I love it. For the chono though, I'd make sure to try it on first, as it's not a slim watch. I personally don't have the wrists for it.

IWC also recently extended warranties out to 8 years which is a nice piece of mind
MrBlahBlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 07:37 AM   #7
armidoro1
"TRF" Member

I have a couple of IWC's and they are great! They are one of my favourite brands. Also they actually treat their customers super well unlike Rolex.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+
armidoro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:15 AM   #8
ts3
"TRF" Member

Have had a 2001 Mark XV since new for now almost 20 years. Still my daily beater getting more wrist time than any other watch I own. Also had a 2001 GST Chrono for a few years but could not get used to the rotor noise and wobble of the Valjoux 7750. Didn't like that the blasted titanium turned shiny when scratched either. No issues with IWC service to report.

Like others I was disappointed how IWC changed after the takeover by Richemont in 2000. They went from a highly innovative and technology-minded company that was ahead of Rolex in many respects to a marketing-driven business with countless and often silly limited and special editions of mainly super-sized watches. IWC also lost the plot in terms of design and performed multiple U-turns especially across their Aquatimer and Ingenieur lines. Even the pilots looked worse with each new iteration until the Mark XVIII turned out to be a step in the right direction.

If I wanted an IWC pilot chrono today I'd look no further than the 3706 on the fabulous pyramid bracelet or get one of the Habring-developed doppelchronos 3711/3713 if I wanted a larger watch. But again, make sure you can live with the rotor noise and wobble before getting any IWC chrono.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:35 AM   #9
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armidoro1 View Post
I have a couple of IWC's and they are great! They are one of my favourite brands. Also they actually treat their customers super well unlike Rolex.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+
Richemont’s after sales has a dreadful reputation and this seems especially true for IWC. Plenty of horror stories in here for the OP to do a search on.
OJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:36 AM   #10
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Always liked IWC but I would go JLC first.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:56 AM   #11
armidoro1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJONES View Post
Richemont’s after sales has a dreadful reputation and this seems especially true for IWC. Plenty of horror stories in here for the OP to do a search on.
I get your perspective but every brand out there has had its instances of good and bad. I have been one of lucky ones I guess.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+
Old 24 January 2020, 08:58 AM   #12
armidoro1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Always liked IWC but I would go JLC first.
I have a JLC and yes I would defo choose them over most brands to be honest. I have one of their divers and it's amazing but if you want a pilot's watch then IWC is a good choice.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+
Old 24 January 2020, 10:52 AM   #13
Jhmessing
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the insight! I appreciate it. To me IWC has such a rich history especially with their ties to aviation.

Old 24 January 2020, 11:58 AM   #14
El-Duderino
"TRF" Member

Most are too big for my taste, but I respect the brand. Might pick up a vintage piece or 41mm Portuguese at some point for the collection.
El-Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 01:18 PM   #15
SeikoBake
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
This is a great watch. The blue dial is also fantastic. The only thing I don’t like is the small crown is a little bit painful to screw and unscrew, much unlike a big pilot crown. True first world problems ...
SeikoBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 05:24 PM   #16
WWC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armidoro1 View Post
I have a JLC and yes I would defo choose them over most brands to be honest. I have one of their divers and it's amazing but if you want a pilot's watch then IWC is a good choice.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+
IWC is a good looking watch I must say, however, if I had to choose that brand vs. others, I'd go for JLC as well. I find them way more reliable as opposed to the IWC, which my friend has one and finds it very innaccurate.
Cosmograph DAYTONA 116520 | DEEPSEA 126660 | Explorer 214270 | GMT Master II BLRO 16710 | GMT Master II VTNR 126720 | Submariner LV 16610 | Sky-Dweller 326139 | Prince Oysterdate 90630
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 10:41 PM   #17
armidoro1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWC View Post
IWC is a good looking watch I must say, however, if I had to choose that brand vs. others, I'd go for JLC as well. I find them way more reliable as opposed to the IWC, which my friend has one and finds it very innaccurate.
Yes totally agree! I would go for JLC over most brands!

Sent from my Galaxy S10+
Old 25 January 2020, 01:53 PM   #18
MCHI09
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Wearing a big pilot right now. Love it. Classic. 7 day movement with the fun power reserve on the dial. A keeper for sure
MCHI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:31 PM   #19
Johnnynic
"TRF" Member

I own the Mark XVIII and love it. Some weekends I keep it on over my a Rolex collection.
Johnnynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 06:12 PM   #20
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

It's a safe buy under $3400.

Do not buy at retail.

Otherwise it's a very nice watch.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 05:13 AM   #21
Razorbackrolex
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on IWC?

now I've only had my big pilot for two weeks but have worn it every day during that time. I am loving it, such a unique watch. Its about 12 sec fast per day but I don't care, I'm not timing anything extremely important with it. Love the flat black no nonsense dial, love the shape of the hands, love the splash of red on the power reserve, of course love the big crown. So far I'm an IWC fan...
Razorbackrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 05:32 AM   #22
armidoro1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbackrolex View Post
now I've only had my big pilot for two weeks but have worn it every day during that time. I am loving it, such a unique watch. Its about 12 sec fast per day but I don't care, I'm not timing anything extremely important with it. Love the flat black no nonsense dial, love the shape of the hands, love the splash of red on the power reserve, of course love the big crown. So far I'm an IWC fan...
Pretty awesome classic big pilot! You should check with a boutique because 12 seconds seems alot. My pilots say hi

Sent from my Galaxy S10+
Old 26 January 2020, 06:39 AM   #23
Razorbackrolex
"TRF" Member

That perpetual is the bomb
Old 26 January 2020, 07:01 AM   #24
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
The new 41mm spitfire chrono is a nice and smaller alternative, with an in house IWC mvt. 4k or so in the secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Megalobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 08:06 AM   #25
Razorbackrolex
"TRF" Member

That spitfire is beautiful too. Has anyone watched the Netflix documentary on the RAF spitfire? These WW2 era planes are so beautiful, esp the spitfire. I love the pilot history behind some of these watches.
Old 26 January 2020, 12:47 PM   #26
Justindo
"TRF" Member

A Portuguese Chronograph was among my first watches and the oldest watch I currently have. While I like it and it's still in my collection, I must admit that it doesn't get as much wrist time as most of my other watches.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 07:48 PM   #27
armidoro1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbackrolex View Post
That perpetual is the bomb
Thanks man! And I totally agree

Sent from my Galaxy S10+
Old 26 January 2020, 08:15 PM   #28
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

I have got 377714 (Little Prince edition) purchased back in 2016. It is in my regular rotation with other watches. Recommend buying original IWC NATO straps (you will need buckle too) for the hot climate/summer months and there is also a great selection of third party leather strap manufacturers. Wears big, but comfortable. I use chrono feature on my watches more than on my phone. If anything, I regret not getting stainless steel bracelet when I bought it as buying it now separately doubles its original cost. Mine is accurate to circa +3 s/day on watch winder and about +2 s/day if I wear it continuously. COSC standards.

I also have IWC 510202 Portugieser, hand-winding movement, 8-day power reserve. While under manufacturer's warranty, sent it back in the US (TX) for calibration as it was running fast. Great service, no damage by technician, happy with the service. Once out of warranty, I believe I have to send it to NJ, but I am not sure. I am wondering which service shop (warranty shop or after-warranty shop) is the one with bad reputation.

Btw, IWC accuracy standards for hand-winding movements are different than for the Pilot Chrono mentioned above. The manual-winding movement is set between 0s and +7s/day with a recommendation to wind it every day (I never do). Watch apparently keeps better accuracy at its peak power reserve. I only wind it once a week and it is circa +4s/day.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 10:27 PM   #29
karmatp
"TRF" Member

I have owned a couple pilot chronos in the past and currently have a Mark XVIII, blue dial, it’s a great watch that is running +3. IWC just extended its warranty to 8 years which should give us all piece of mind for a long time.

I say go for it, you have to experience one sometime in your life.
Old 27 January 2020, 06:04 AM   #30
cardiel
"TRF" Member

Intrigued by the quartz / auto chronographs - I believe the reference is 3740 from the 90's - at 36mm its the sweet spot for me and they 'aint expensive......but I know very little about them other than they look pretty
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote