The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 January 2020, 11:57 AM   #61
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
GS does dials like no one else. One of my favorite brands.
Old 24 January 2020, 01:46 PM   #62
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Go for it. A stellar watch. And I never had issues with GS bracelets like others so I guess it depends on wrist shape/size in terms of fit. They are as comfortable as they come and seem robust.
I don't have any trouble with bracelet fit, nor have I broken one.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 01:53 PM   #63
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
Finish is on par with Patek and absolutely nothing to worry about on the durability and reliability fronts. Accuracy will be as good as it gets to (if that floats your boat).

I don’t think you’ll be dissatisfied.
Lol. What a stupid comment. I don't have a PP, but I do have a GS. Love it. Love the work and design of the movement. But common. On a movement finishing level, it will never be (and it doesn't plan to be) on par with PP.
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 02:17 PM   #64
RolyMoly
Banned

Finally, an interesting thread...

I own both brands, I’ve got a GS SGBA413, and I’ve had lots of Rolex. Still currently own a RG DaytonaC, YG Blue Sub and a PT Day Date. I’ve also had an Expii and 2 Milgauss, ZBlue and GV.

First comparing GS, Rolex and Patek I think is just a mistake. They’re all just different watches, all their own things.

Second, granted, Rolex makes great bracelets. But I think people are too harsh on the GS bracelets. They’re nice bracelets. There are no micro adjustments as has been said, but they do have half links and you can get a perfect fit that way.

I love them all, but differently. GS def has the edge on finishing and dials. True masters there. Looks is up to eye of the beholder. Rolex are tanks. I love Rolex. What’s new? We’re on TRF.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in getting one. Just move away from the Rolex vs AP vs GS vs PP mindset.

RolyMoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:10 AM   #65
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Quality is excellent, I don't think anyone in the <$30K does better dials. The finish, be it high polished or brushed, on the indices, hands is absolute top notch. Static photos can't do justice to the lively depth of finish and movement on their textured dials.
The quality of case finish, be it brushed or polished is fantastic with clean sharp lines and edges ( although if I'm honest, my eyes can't tell between a regular polish and zaratsu polish ).

that said, I only only one at the moment, SBGE201 because many of the styles, being around 40mm, feel and look a bit small on me. If that's your size though and you like the style, don't hesitate from a quality POV.

Bracelet is just fine BTW, not up their with IWC but on par with the Oyster.

not a great pic sorry

dial detail

Great pics! I didn’t discover this particular GS reference until this week and I think I’m hooked.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:59 AM   #66
woodsworth
"TRF" Member

Very few pieces knock my socks off tbh....

GS dials, however, do.
woodsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 01:34 AM   #67
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
I buy what I love design wise and makes me feel inspired not by the deal.
GS can be more accurate, advanced... but not as accurate as my apple watch. So keeping accuracy aside, I'm left with design language, heritage, history and the cluster of inventions trademarks Rolex have written on the pages of it's CV.
I go Rolex.
Old 25 January 2020, 01:39 AM   #68
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Superb craftsmanship, exceptional timekeeping. However, you have to like the aesthetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spot on, don't want it to be a case of not seeing the wood for the trees. Same observation with those prizing exclusivity/rarity over everything else.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 05:08 AM   #69
Starlord
"TRF" Member

I HAD a GS SBGW231. I loved the simplicity and symmetry of the dial. However, I did not like the case and lugs design. It was way too thick for a manual wind and uncomfortable on my wrist. Ended up trading it in for a DJ36.

If it's a possibility, make sure you try it on before purchasing. I do miss my GS but I love my DJ36 more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seikos.jpg (112.6 KB, 214 views)
Starlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 09:04 AM   #70
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlord View Post
I HAD a GS SBGW231. I loved the simplicity and symmetry of the dial. However, I did not like the case and lugs design. It was way too thick for a manual wind and uncomfortable on my wrist. Ended up trading it in for a DJ36.

If it's a possibility, make sure you try it on before purchasing. I do miss my GS but I love my DJ36 more.

This looks pretty good on your wrist. I can see why you were originally attracted to it. Lately the GS pieces have been hitting my radar.

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 09:15 AM   #71
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
Finish is on par with Patek
No, it really is not.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 09:57 AM   #72
RCrusoe
"TRF" Member

I've tried and tried but just can't seem to fall in love with GS. I know they're extremely well finished and beautiful pieces but it's the overall aesthetic that I just can't get over...would love to find one that changes my opinion though.
RCrusoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 01:27 AM   #73
Billy D
"TRF" Member

I had a SBGR051 for a few years. I eventually moved it on in favor of a 36 OP. I have a thing for silver dials. The GS was comfortable but annoyingly top-heavy and never sat just right on my wrist like an OP or DJ does.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 01:58 AM   #74
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

The distinct models are the quartz and spring-drive. Both pretty special. The standard mechanical models are, in my limited experience, not as precise as a Rolex. All are well-finished, but most look best on a strap.
Overall, to me, Rolex feel the better watch, if narrowly. One other point, GS make far too many models, with too many dial changes. Quite confusing. And, of course, Rolex tend to hold value rather better. If you can buy one.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 06:45 AM   #75
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by zewill View Post
Lol. What a stupid comment. I don't have a PP, but I do have a GS. Love it. Love the work and design of the movement. But common. On a movement finishing level, it will never be (and it doesn't plan to be) on par with PP.
You are quite wrong making this statement. What comes out of the micro artist studio from Seiko is easily on par with Patek.
Depends on which GS you own
Old 26 January 2020, 07:18 AM   #76
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
You are quite wrong making this statement. What comes out of the micro artist studio from Seiko is easily on par with Patek.
Depends on which GS you own
Not at all in line with your first comment when you in no way specified a few models, that do not represent the typical GS, but simply stated GS finishing is on par with Patek.

Your first post is so absurd it is actually offensive and indicative either of ignorance or trolling. Either way it is not a contribution to be taken seriously.
Old 26 January 2020, 07:20 AM   #77
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
Not at all in line with your first comment when you in no way specified a few models, that do not represent the typical GS, but simply stated GS finishing is on par with Patek.

Your first post is so absurd it is actually is offensive and indicative either of ignorance or trolling. Either way it is not a contribution to be taken seriously.
Before this gets out of hand I would like to hear from folks who own BOTH PP and GS. I have heard many times that GS is some ways does compare with PP. At this time I don't own either so I would like to hear from someone who has or does own both
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 07:27 AM   #78
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
Before this gets out of hand I would like to hear from folks who own BOTH PP and GS. I have heard many times that GS is some ways does compare with PP. At this time I don't own either so I would like to hear from someone who has or does own both

It’s close in finishing. PP gets a slight edge.

BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 07:41 AM   #79
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post

It’s close in finishing. PP gets a slight edge.

Nice watches, exterior goes to Patek and between the movement of those two pieces the GS is not even in the same league, not even the same game really.
Old 26 January 2020, 07:59 AM   #80
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Macdermott View Post
January the 2nd I bought both a GS and Explorer. Both are very well made and finished the Dial and hand finishing on the GS is much better than the Explorer The bracelet on both is very well made and finished, the GS bracelet clasp is thinner on the wrist than the Explorer but is just as secure and well made.
I set both watches to my radio controlled clock on the 2nd and so far the Explorer is + 0.2 seconds a day and the GS is 0.0.
A surprising thing for the many who think heft is a sign of quality is that with both sized to my wrist the GS is the heavier watch.

The Explorer will most likely be the last Rolex I buy but I do intend to pick up another GS.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
The bezel on the Explorer looks so much nicer than that GS.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 08:09 AM   #81
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
I was a GS skeptic and completely changed my mind once I had the chance to handle one in the metal. Bought a SBGE249 and love it.

That's a nice GMT on the bracelet. If only more of GS watches were using the 3 link bracelets like their 9F quartz counterparts. I can't stand the omega/5 link style bracelets.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 09:08 AM   #82
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
The problem with this comparison is that one of these brands has a cult like following and will not concede anything, no matter the argument.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 09:43 AM   #83
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
The problem with this comparison is that one of these brands has a cult like following and will not concede anything, no matter the argument.
When you say anything to ANY person that contradicts what they already believe the only part of their brain that reacts is the amygdala and they react completely emotionally. Even if you present evidence that undeniably proves your point is 100% correct, doesn’t matter, they dig in further. (See anti vaccination movement).

I own 4 rolexes, 3 grand Seiko currently (3 additional in the past I sold) and one AP royal oak. When people say that GS finishing is on par with Patek they are referring to case and dial. NOT MOVEMENT. GS dial and case finishing is fantastic. Is it as intricate as a royal oak, no. But is the perfection there, yup. Go watch the Horology house video on the sbge245 to see how rediculous it is.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 09:46 AM   #84
Locust
"TRF" Member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JX88Vj4biU0
Old 26 January 2020, 10:50 AM   #85
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
When you say anything to ANY person that contradicts what they already believe the only part of their brain that reacts is the amygdala and they react completely emotionally. Even if you present evidence that undeniably proves your point is 100% correct, doesn’t matter, they dig in further. (See anti vaccination movement).

I own 4 rolexes, 3 grand Seiko currently (3 additional in the past I sold) and one AP royal oak. When people say that GS finishing is on par with Patek they are referring to case and dial. NOT MOVEMENT. GS dial and case finishing is fantastic. Is it as intricate as a royal oak, no. But is the perfection there, yup. Go watch the Horology house video on the sbge245 to see how rediculous it is.
Honestly, if you are trying to get us to a place where logic and truth have no sway I'm not going there with you. Just because unconscious brain activity occurs does not mean that it now rules all other conscious functioning.

Look at a watch like the spring drive above. Polishing done on a spinning tin wheel and hands and indices that are polished by one task workers to shine so well. That is fine. I appreciate a high polished finish. Now look at the Patek 5296G. That case is executed to a ridiculously high standard, by the hands of artisans every step of the way. Is it shiny like Zaratsu? No. Is it a higher finished case? Yes. Look at the printed dial on that Patek. It is printed but the realization of the task is artistic whereas the GS never achieves that moniker although it is technically excellent. With other Patek models, such as my 5124G, the level of dial, hands and Breguet numerals finishing is in another category than the GS, both artistically and technically. So, regarding the exterior any Patek is better finished than GS.

GS is it's own watch and there is a lot to like. It is ludicrous though to posit that they are finished to the same standard as Patek Philippe, on the outside or inside.
Old 26 January 2020, 11:17 AM   #86
Locust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Honestly, if you are trying to get us to a place where logic and truth have no sway I'm not going there with you. Just because unconscious brain activity occurs does not mean that it now rules all other conscious functioning.

Look at a watch like the spring drive above. Polishing done on a spinning tin wheel and hands and indices that are polished by one task workers to shine so well. That is fine. I appreciate a high polished finish. Now look at the Patek 5296G. That case is executed to a ridiculously high standard, by the hands of artisans every step of the way. Is it shiny like Zaratsu? No. Is it a higher finished case? Yes. Look at the printed dial on that Patek. It is printed but the realization of the task is artistic whereas the GS never achieves that moniker although it is technically excellent. With other Patek models, such as my 5124G, the level of dial, hands and Breguet numerals finishing is in another category than the GS, both artistically and technically. So, regarding the exterior any Patek is better finished than GS.

GS is it's own watch and there is a lot to like. It is ludicrous though to posit that they are finished to the same standard as Patek Philippe, on the outside or inside.
Not sure on earth how I’m “trying to get us to a point where logic and truth have no sway”. But you totally proved my point. Congratulations! ��. (Didn’t say ANYTHING in my post about Patek, but you ranted at me like I did)
Old 26 January 2020, 11:34 AM   #87
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Not sure on earth how I’m “trying to get us to a point where logic and truth have no sway”. But you totally proved my point. Congratulations! ��. (Didn’t say ANYTHING in my post about Patek, but you ranted at me like I did)
No, I did not rant at you and yes you did say something about Patek. You said: "When people say that GS finishing is on par with Patek they are referring to case and dial"

Now, when you start talking about emotion driving everything it might indicate that logic and truth are secondary tools. That is why I wrote "If you are trying to..."

So, you can't seem to read what you, or I, wrote. Maybe your Amygdala is so fired up that you are having trouble focussing? If anyone of us has proved your point I believe it would be you
Old 26 January 2020, 11:37 AM   #88
Locust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, I did not rant at you and yes you did say something about Patek. You said: "When people say that GS finishing is on par with Patek they are referring to case and dial"

Now, when you start talking about emotion driving everything it might indicate that logic and truth are secondary tools. That is why I wrote "If you are trying to..."

So, you can't seem to read what you, or I, wrote. Maybe your Amygdala is so fired up that you are having trouble focussing? If anyone of us has proved your point I believe it would be you
Yeah. This is done. Hope you have a nice time yelling at people on the internet :)
Old 26 January 2020, 11:43 AM   #89
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:

Zaratsu is shiny.....

BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 01:52 PM   #90
kiki9999
"TRF" Member

I have a GS SBGA403 "Lion" and a Rolex DSSD.
I enjoy both watches very much. No need to introduce the DSSD, and the GS is a very fun watch to wear. I agree that the GS Lion has a better finish on dial and case, and you need to consider that the DSSD is about $2k more expensive.But Rolex still has the best bracelet on market.

Overall, the GS Lion now became my favorite one And you got a see-thru case back!

No comment on Patek since I haven't owned one yet, hopefully soon
kiki9999 is offline   Reply With Quote