The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 January 2020, 11:19 PM   #31
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I don't doubt for a minute that these AD's are holding their stock in the back. The AD where I live and who I've known for over 20 yrs when he first went into the jewelry business wanted to put me on a list for 114300 OP. This is from a guy who I considered a friend. Well 2 weeks later after a text to Tony Geha-JustRolexes I received a beautiful preowned OP for way less than I would have paid with with a full retail price plus NYC sales tax. If I didn't say it was preowned you would never know. It came with boxes & over 4 yrs left on the warranty. Screw these AD's.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:40 PM   #32
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjweld View Post
So I’ve been traveling lots in the Midwest the past months and on my off time I am visiting as many AD’s as I can hoping to get “lucky”. Well today while in Cleveland an AD actually came in to me! Long story short but this person used to work at a local Rolex AD, that just closed.

She admitted that:

1. “Almost every Rolex AD has at least 3-5 SS pieces in the back”
2. Rolex is pissed of this practice thus they are closing roughly another 100 doors in the US this year
3. AD’s would still rather sell to Greys than to sell a piece from their safe. This ensures that they will sell more PM’s and wait until some 75K customer will come in then offer them a SS pro model as well.

I kinda believe this b/c I was in a very reputable AD a few days ago looking at the Tudor BB and the salesperson thought it was the 58, after I said I was interested due to the limited supply of the watch she double checked with the watch manager and he confirmed it was a BB Noir. BUT 2 min later they came from the back room with a BB 58 that was ordered but never picked up. This store was great and staff was unreal. I would buy in a second from them but couldn’t decide on the thinner 58 or BB and ultimately walked.

So to summarize- sell what you don’t have to create the NEED for something that the people don’t need. I believe the AD’s have created a perfect scenario for themselves. Rolex can’t police every ad and the ad are “selling” (although to lots of greys) their PM’s and SS allocations. So why not create this thirst for a Milgaus that used to sit in a vase collecting dust.

Thanks for listening to my two cents, I am ready to get blasted.

GO!

This makes sense. Look, most AD’s sell jewelry and the new generations just don’t have that kind of dough or are simply not as interested in jewelry as the previous generations. Many jewelry stores (not talking AD’s) have closed up or consolidated in my neck of the woods. It makes sense that these folks would leverage desirable models to get folks to either spend more on watches than intended or spend something on the jewelry. I mean most folks come in plunk down the money and get maybe one nice watch. There is all the incentive in the world to try to get folks to buy multiple models or work with gray market to boost their bottom line. Rather than fishing for costumers and having the majority of folks try on watches and walk out, the gray snaps up massive inventory. A bird on hand is worth two in the Bush.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:50 PM   #33
Ruddiger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infusion1 View Post
what AD in Cleveland just closed?
Howdy,

None, that's the problem with this post.

Cleveland still has the same three dealers we had six years ago. Kleinhenz, Alson, and Sheibans are all still here.

All three are still listed as ADs on the Rolex website.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Ruddiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:54 PM   #34
Ruddiger
2024 Pledge Member

Howdy,

Also, while I don't doubt at all that some AD's have stock "in the back" its not always for the nefarious reasons people suspect.

For example, my AD goes out of his way to ensure that valuable watches go to customers he KNOWS won't flip them.

To me, that's admirable and not something to be criticized for, particularly with all of the people pumping up the speculative bubble.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Old 25 January 2020, 12:03 AM   #35
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Of course ADs hold back some stock. They do it for preferred customers that they know want hard to get pieces.

My last AD visit had her bring out a nice box that when opened held 4 SS professional watches for me to pick from or take all 4.

There's nothing wrong with a business rewarding its best customers, from an airline that gives free upgrades or priority seating to its most frequent fliers to a burger franchise that issues freebies to people who use their app to purchase more than anyone else does.

I'm not sure why people who are keen only on spending as little as possible to get exactly what they want in highly in demand item all the while trashing the business expect anything else.

Yeah, everyone wants a brand new Ferrari for the price of a 2009 Honda Civic but to expect it is just weird.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:07 AM   #36
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddiger View Post
Howdy,

Also, while I don't doubt at all that some AD's have stock "in the back" its not always for the nefarious reasons people suspect.

For example, my AD goes out of his way to ensure that valuable watches go to customers he KNOWS won't flip them.

To me, that's admirable and not something to be criticized for, particularly with all of the people pumping up the speculative bubble.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Correct. My AD knows that I'm buying the watches to enjoy and not flip, endangering her relationship with Rolex and the steady supply of of high demand watches that she gets and her competitors do not. If I get tired of a piece, I'll sell it back to her and we both later still make a profit. She knows this and rewards her customers.

Now I only have to sell more when I buy LOL.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:15 AM   #37
michaeli3
"TRF" Member

i agree with part of that. I am sure there are some AD's that sell to the grey market.
What i am sure of is that the SS are sold on a select basis. I think is you have an AD that you have done quite a bit of business with over the years, there is some preferential treatment. Especially with a limited supply. Why not.
michaeli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 01:38 AM   #38
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
Yeah, everyone wants a brand new Ferrari for the price of a 2009 Honda Civic but to expect it is just weird.
No-one’s asking for Rolexes at Invicta prices

And the Ferrari argument is spurious - they only make around 8400 cars per year.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 01:42 AM   #39
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Howdy,

Cleveland still has the same three dealers we had six years ago. Kleinhenz, Alson, and Sheibans are all still here.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Thank you, good catch.

I think the ball is in OP's court now to provide proof to back up his post, for his own credibility's sake.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 01:44 AM   #40
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
My AD keeps the desirable stuff in back as well but just to try to not sell to flippers. The directive from the owner is “I want them sold to local clients that will wear them..” Once something comes in the clients are called and if no takers they’ll put it in the case. I’ve seen a SS Sub in their case within the past year.
H25B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 05:01 AM   #41
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by H25B View Post
My AD keeps the desirable stuff in back as well but just to try to not sell to flippers. The directive from the owner is “I want them sold to local clients that will wear them..” Once something comes in the clients are called and if no takers they’ll put it in the case. I’ve seen a SS Sub in their case within the past year.
Sounds like you have a good AD
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 07:04 AM   #42
Fjweld
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 1601,
Quote:
Howdy,

Take care,

Ruddiger
Check again Ruddiger..... Moreland Hills? Next to the Italian restaurant? Thanks for the local knowledge though
Fjweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 07:06 AM   #43
Fjweld
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
Thank you, good catch.

I think the ball is in OP's court now to provide proof to back up his post, for his own credibility's sake.
Check my response to Ruddinger. Moreland Hills next to the Italian restaurant
Old 25 January 2020, 07:15 AM   #44
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
...local AD that just closed? Could this be sour grapes. This person most likely has no idea what other dealers do. If this store held back pieces and this was against Rolex policy. Well we know why they lost their Rolex agency.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 07:27 AM   #45
Fjweld
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I don’t believe it. No way they are ALL holding pieces in the back. There’s no way all these hundreds of AD’s are playing the same game. Sorry. I do believe that some of them are selling to grey dealers. In fact I know they are because I have bought Watches from grey dealers and have seen they came from small mom and pop AD’s here in the United States. I don’t know why it’s so difficult for everyone to understand that the economy, at least in the United States has not been this good probably since its founding. In the last two years alone I have seen three or four of my friends come into real money where they can afford high-end cars and watches. This is not very difficult guys. Rolex is not the only luxury brand running out of popular items either. Every time I walk into Louis Vuitton or Gucci they’re always packed with people leaving the store with lots of shopping bags.
No where did the former employee say ALL....
Reread my 1st point cheers:
Old 25 January 2020, 07:32 AM   #46
Gary Anderson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR View Post
Here’s a good one, you guys ready?
My AD told me that Rolex sells directly on chrono 24 that’s why there are so many SS Daytona’s available.
Sounds believable no?
I've heard this too
Gary Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 07:50 AM   #47
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Most remarkable thing is that Tudor is also now being held in the back for special enough customers !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 07:56 AM   #48
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Sometimes disgruntled ex-workers are not the best source of info. Sometimes they are.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:19 AM   #49
Fjweld
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Most remarkable thing is that Tudor is also now being held in the back for special enough customers !
Happened in Indy that same week with the 58
Old 25 January 2020, 08:43 AM   #50
Khans14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Check my response to Ruddinger. Moreland Hills next to the Italian restaurant
Cleveland has only three AD’s. The place near the Italian Place is a Govberg location. Govberg is based in Philly. My understanding is that this location lost its Rolex AD status many years ago for some action that angered Rolex. Govberg has not been an AD here for many years.

Btw, the Italian place is called “Flour.” I live two minutes away from it. The food is good.
Khans14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:53 AM   #51
Khans14
"TRF" Member

And the Govberg location here did just close recently.
Khans14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:54 AM   #52
bp1000
"TRF" Member

This is the best racketeering outfit in history. All the ADs are taking part. What a spectacle
bp1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 09:07 AM   #53
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
What ADs are doing is simply human nature. It sucks and its fustrating, but the tables will turn at one point in the future..
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 09:11 AM   #54
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
No where did the former employee say ALL....
Reread my 1st point cheers:
Sorry man. “Almost every” and “all” are very close in my eyes. So I change that post (if I could) to “almost every” like you wrote. Then I standby the rest of what I wrote. Cool?

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 10:01 AM   #55
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Wait....there’s an AD that has ENOUGH inventory TO keep things in the back??

Most hot references that arrive at most ADs don’t have enough time to even get there before getting into someone’s hands.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 10:26 AM   #56
Ruddiger
2024 Pledge Member

Howdy,

Well, I stand by what I said and the other Cleveland locals confirmed it. Even if this location closed recently they lost their AD status a very long time before that.

Accept the facts, for a long time Cleveland has had three Rolex dealers and two real professional sports teams.....we also have the Browns.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Old 25 January 2020, 11:53 AM   #57
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Quote:
Of course ADs hold back some stock. They do it for preferred customers that they know want hard to get pieces.

My last AD visit had her bring out a nice box that when opened held 4 SS professional watches for me to pick from or take all 4.

There's nothing wrong with a business rewarding its best customers, from an airline that gives free upgrades or priority seating to its most frequent fliers to a burger franchise that issues freebies to people who use their app to purchase more than anyone else does.

I'm not sure why people who are keen only on spending as little as possible to get exactly what they want in highly in demand item all the while trashing the business expect anything else.

I agree with this

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 12:42 PM   #58
Fjweld
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Howdy,

Well, I stand by what I said and the other Cleveland locals confirmed it. Even if this location closed recently they lost their AD status a very long time before that.

Accept the facts, for a long time Cleveland has had three Rolex dealers and two real professional sports teams.....we also have the Browns.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Are you still upset over the Cubs pulling off the miracle over the Tribe??? Again just a visitor in your town a few times a year, and when I went into Govberg they had Rolex BNIB didn’t know they lost their AD. My point still stands that Govberg that claims on their website to be an authorized Rolex dealer is now closed BUT an employee that is not “disgruntled” as she is working at a very fine wine shoppe down the street made mention that they and many ore Rolex sellers have SS product in the back safe.
Old 25 January 2020, 12:47 PM   #59
89Sem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Quote:

Yeah if you want a Ferrari you are paying a Ferrari price, it would be one thing if they artificially limited and inflated the price of a Civic and expect you to pay a premium price.

Come on, at the end of the day it’s just a mass produced watch.

Sure you can get a Daytona tomorrow from grey for 25K, but you can also wait and get a Pepsi and a Daytona from AD. Or get a Daytona and invest the money you save. You can be frivolous or be smart with your money.

Back to topic at hand. YES! They do have them in the back!
89Sem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 01:56 PM   #60
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Anderson View Post
I've heard this too
Oh please.....
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote