The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 October 2019, 12:21 AM   #91
NateInBama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
The watch costs approximately $250 bro. Not 1400

I’m a big, fat snob. So sue me. It’s a Rolex forum for gods sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
NateInBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 12:34 AM   #92
jabbawock545
"TRF" Member

Bought one last week to take as a beater for work/gym. 220 for a series 3 does what i need it for. Submariner for everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jabbawock545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 02:01 AM   #93
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

There’s nothing wrong with the apple watch. In fact, it has created a whole new market for watches, especially the younger consumers. It piques their interest into other watches. That increases overall watch demand. So, let Apple sell as lany as they can. It’s a good thing.

At a macro level, let’s face it, an Apple watch is not ‘sexy’, nor does it have ‘style’. It’s wearing a computer on your wrist and its utilitarian. Listen to the ‘desire to disconnect from technology’ drum beats, and you’ll realize the trends.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 05:01 PM   #94
stefs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570/214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
Be careful, I bought the SS series 4 and it’s kinda ruined mechanical watches for me. It does everything I need, cellular service, Apple Pay it really is a true tool watch.
Exactly the same for me. I really didn’t expect to like it as much as I do. My most worn watch by a mile!
stefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 06:05 PM   #95
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Heading to the dark side
Old 6 October 2019, 10:38 PM   #96
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I’ve only worn it once. The kid loves it the wife thinks it’s okay. Not sure I’d close this over any of my other watches.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2019, 09:53 AM   #97
tng11
"TRF" Member

I recently bought the Titanium Edition Series 5. Love it for workouts. I do the best of both worlds with a mechanical watch on my left wrist and AW on the right wrist. Some people look at me weird, but I'm not sure it's necessarily because I'm wearing two watches.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 10:55 AM   #98
NateInBama
"TRF" Member

My new Apple Watch v5 Hermès edition with buckle arrived today. Yes, I get it’s expensive, but it definitely is a beautiful band/buckle. So far so good, but only just got it setup... too soon to give opinion.

Old 8 October 2019, 02:34 PM   #99
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor North Flag
I'm not an Apple fan, but there is no shame in owning and wearing a smartwatch.

I have a Fitbit, which isn't the same, but it is an electronic device that tells time and is worn on the wrist.

I'm not using it now, but the next time I go on an exercise and weight loss program, it's ready and able to meet the task.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 07:55 PM   #100
jabbawock545
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateInBama View Post
My new Apple Watch v5 Hermès edition with buckle arrived today. Yes, I get it’s expensive, but it definitely is a beautiful band/buckle. So far so good, but only just got it setup... too soon to give opinion.

jabbawock545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 09:02 PM   #101
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:

Congrats man... I love Hermes but I just couldn’t do it ... I’m too cheap
Old 15 October 2019, 04:57 AM   #102
JD305
"TRF" Member

Watch: Long E 1675
I have the same dilemma ... but I am interested in the Health features, steps, exercise monitor, ECG monitor ... and possibly future sleep tracking.

No way I would wear both watches!

You know it also has a feature that monitors the wife's menstrual cycle!!! So you know when it's that sensitive time of the month!

Anyhow ... after reading some here, I would probably just stick with the regular cheaper entry level one .. no sapphire, no Hermes

I would try out some custom straps though .. maybe?

It also has a fall monitor ... so you can give it as a gift to elderly family members, it detects sudden fall or G-force impact ... and then asks if you are OK or to call 911!! Pretty cool!

Quote:
That describes my problem exactly. I figured I’d try. At the moment, getting healthy trumps my love for my mechanical watches. Once I drop 25lbs, the Apple Watch vanishes and I’m back to my watches. If a $1400 Apple Watch helps get me into shape, it will have been so worth every penny.

JD305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 07:42 AM   #103
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
1 for the family see how we like it.

Relative to the amount we spend on this hobby... 500 seems trivial for a watch like that... even a g show I can be 400

What y’all think?

Bought one a year ago to see how it went. I wear it once a week, overnight, just to take advantage of the vibrating alarm for my super-early Monday morning start! Expensive alarm!! Luckily RM have solved that problem for me with their new release!! Hmmm

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 09:29 PM   #104
NateInBama
"TRF" Member

After a little more than a week with my Hermès Apple Watch 5, I’ve begun the return process. I just haven’t used it enough to justify having it. It’s back to my Rolex.

Old 19 October 2019, 01:00 AM   #105
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Bought one a year ago to see how it went. I wear it once a week, overnight, just to take advantage of the vibrating alarm for my super-early Monday morning start! Expensive alarm!! Luckily RM have solved that problem for me with their new release!! Hmmm

U going to buy an airbus? Baller!!! Can I hold ur wrist?
Old 19 October 2019, 01:01 AM   #106
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
After a little more than a week with my Hermès Apple Watch 5, I’ve begun the return process. I just haven’t used it enough to justify having it. It’s back to my Rolex.

My wife and I wore it once
Old 20 October 2019, 09:22 PM   #107
Celter
"TRF" Member

Not in a million years. Imagine being found dead with an Apple Watch on your wrist��
Celter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 11:55 PM   #108
BSG75
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SPGN029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celter View Post
Not in a million years. Imagine being found dead with an Apple Watch on your wrist��
Actually, it might just save your life if it detects a heart issue
BSG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 04:21 AM   #109
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What do you think of it so far?

I bought the series 4 Hermès edition last year.
I bought it with the intent of using it for my workouts and to fold into the watch rotation. A year on, it's used mainly for workouts- I can't let go of my mechanical watches...

But the biggest problem with the watch after owning it for a year is the complete failure to integrate Apple functionality and Hermès design. It didn't hit me until several months of owning it.

Basically the Hermès watch is like a poorly enginered German sports sedan- think BMW M5 and when the engineers get it completely wrong. Imagine if there were two settings on the car- one is a Lexus like cushy ride devoid of any performance- think floating on the cloud snoozefest. Hit the sport button and now it's turned into a snarling track beast like a Ariel Atom. You can do 7min laps on the ring all day but after 2 laps you're broken and sweating through your clothes because it has zero creature comforts- that's no good. You want a blend of both, that's what makes the M5 the M5.

This watch for me feels the same way. Your picture? It's pure Hermès. That dial can be recreated on one of their mechanical watches- second hand, date, moonphase function. Wonderful. I love the font on the roman numerals. But when I would wear the Apple watch with that dial I soon began wondering where are all the fancy features? So then I would switch to this dial:

Great, now I have a smartwatch. It can track calories burnt, weather, upcoming events, stock prices, UV index. All the things that lured me into buying a smartwatch? But then... where's that classic Hermès design?

The hardware itself is fine and I love the orange band and the leather strap. But what I would have really liked to see is Apple & Hermès work together to create a unique "Hermès" dial that can exhibit multiple complications like the picture above in a more interesting manner.
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 03:51 PM   #110
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
I recently bought the Titanium Edition Series 5. Love it for workouts. I do the best of both worlds with a mechanical watch on my left wrist and AW on the right wrist. Some people look at me weird, but I'm not sure it's necessarily because I'm wearing two watches.
I just picked up an AWs4 and plan on doing the double wrist. However I think I may shift my mechanical watch to the right wrist. I realized being right handed that I need my right hand to work the watch.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 05:00 PM   #111
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
GPS/cellular works fine for me when out on site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E5A187D9-9AFB-4465-81CC-8D6329066C4E.jpeg (130.0 KB, 146 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 09:23 PM   #112
Fat_ninja
Banned

Not sure why I thought I could surf the web and watch tv on the watch...
Old 22 October 2019, 10:11 PM   #113
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

I think I’m going to do it...I’m going to buy an Apple watch

I'm too worried that I'd wear it and start neglecting my real watches...

One of my doctors wears one of his Seiko on his belt. Maybe a good place of the Apple Watch?
Old 2 November 2019, 03:26 AM   #114
JD305
"TRF" Member

Watch: Long E 1675
This may be a cool idea ... screen option showing different movement complications, like Tourbillon? or skeletonize moving escapement and gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
What do you think of it so far?
The hardware itself is fine and I love the orange band and the leather strap. But what I would have really liked to see is Apple & Hermès work together to create a unique "Hermès" dial that can exhibit multiple complications like the picture above in a more interesting manner.
JD305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2019, 04:06 AM   #115
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

I have no problem with the Apple Watch, and have often toyed with getting one - ironically to break the umbillical link with my phone. When my trusty Suunto Spartan dies, I think it'll be inevitable...

That said, I don't get the Hermes versions. It's a disposable piece of technology, with a shelf-life of a few years at most. The differential between the cheapest and most expensive is huge, but the watches themselves are identical. If I did get one, I'd go for the basic black aluminium cellular on a rubber strap, as I can't see any inherent value in any of the add-on materials or branding if you're just gonna toss it anyway...
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2019, 05:26 AM   #116
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD305 View Post
This may be a cool idea ... screen option showing different movement complications, like Tourbillon? or skeletonize moving escapement and gears?
google "jingwatch"
Old 2 November 2019, 09:45 AM   #117
NateInBama
"TRF" Member

I think I’m going to do it...I’m going to buy an Apple watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
I have no problem with the Apple Watch, and have often toyed with getting one - ironically to break the umbillical link with my phone. When my trusty Suunto Spartan dies, I think it'll be inevitable...

That said, I don't get the Hermes versions. It's a disposable piece of technology, with a shelf-life of a few years at most. The differential between the cheapest and most expensive is huge, but the watches themselves are identical. If I did get one, I'd go for the basic black aluminium cellular on a rubber strap, as I can't see any inherent value in any of the add-on materials or branding if you're just gonna toss it anyway...

It’s a sad, pathetic, thinly veiled attempt to make one feel more important than they are. Must we shine a light on this? I’d rather not

In response, I’d say that I toss computers at 2yrs also.

Old 3 November 2019, 12:34 PM   #118
mschafer
"TRF" Member

I hate to write this: got my wife one a year ago, the Rolex is now barely used (got that for a bigger birthday); my buddy, who's somewhat of a watch nerd all his life (think Cosmograph, pre-daytona with box and papers, 1016, etc.), is using one since Apple came out with the watches. He actually frequently cites how all the high rollers he's hanging out (NYC/Hamptons), all wear them to be under the radar and appear current...anyways, got one yesterday, simple, black and have to admit, there's something to it. Not sure yet what, I was always resisting, not wanted to charge another Tamagotchi at night, but paying with a watch today, checking who's calling, fun watch faces, activity tracker...im very afraid my little crows will stay indoors for more than I was hoping for (and that was for being a sports watch mostly)..my buddy, btw, divested in most of his Rolex collection and went steel Patek with a Apple watch thrown in...oy vey as they say across the river...
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 07:33 PM   #119
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s a sad, pathetic, thinly veiled attempt to make one feel more important than they are. Must we shine a light on this? I’d rather not

In response, I’d say that I toss computers at 2yrs also.

What? No.

Just my own personal view. You wanna get the Hermès version, be my guest. I hope you enjoy it. I just don’t see the point, as I’ve stated.

I would perhaps check why you reacted so strongly to someone’s contradictory opinion - one that I don’t think is controversial, insulting, or personal in the slightest.

Your last answer is perhaps the oddest - Do you tart your computer up with leather and designer collabs? No.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 08:41 PM   #120
SydR
"TRF" Member

I’m a huge Apple fan, even own shares in them, but the watch doesn’t float my boat. It’s the frequency of having to charge that does it for me.

I even passed on getting one via my private health provider for a snip of retail prices.
SydR is offline   Reply With Quote