The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 January 2020, 01:36 PM   #1
037
2020 Tudor GMT Giveaway Pledge Member
 
037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Real Name: Erik
Location: USA
Watch: Plastic GMT
Posts: 5,349
Incoming - My first Seiko!

Got this a couple weeks ago but slacked on an incoming post.

This is my first Seiko. I was originally hunting for a 6217-8001 big crown. I missed a few on eBay—most of which needed serviced and/or relumed—then decided to try the remake instead. No regrets.

I threw it on an Isofrane strap that I've had for 15+ years and love the combo. It wears much like a 16660/16600/116600 Sea-Dweller on a dive strap.


What I like:
- The anthracite dial, markers and hands are interesting. After 20+ years of Rolex divers, most of which being SDs with gloss black dials, this is a huge departure in the right direction.
- The boxed and domed crystal make it feel like vintage acrylic. The mirror polished chapter ring give it depth that wouldn't exist otherwise.
- The bezel insert has full gradations like a ceramic Sea-Dweller. I love that. I also like the illuminated dot at zero and no triangle.
- The case lacks crown guards. I enjoy the big crown floating by itself.
- Winding is smooth. I was surprised how light it feels when winding.
- Timekeeping is better than expected. Mine gains about 5 seconds daily but I can pull that back out just by leaving it crown-up overnight. If I pull too much out then I keep it face-up. As of right now it's +3 seconds fast of the atom clock and I haven't set it in 13 days. I've only manually wound it a few times to keep it in rotation.
- Bezel action is fun. It feels and sounds excellent. The coined edge looks great.
- Lug holes.

What I don't like:
- I wish the lugs were 20mm wide rather than 19mm. That's minor.
- The silicone strap and stainless bracelet aren't great. That's also minor.
- The 19mm lugs make for an odd springbar size and the original bars are 2.5mm in diameter. I'm on the hunt for a 19mm bar that's 2.0mm in diameter with proper 1.1~1.2mm pivots. Thankfully my strap fits over the OEM fat bars so this is also minor.

What I hate:
- That I didn't preorder one back in 2017 when originally announced. I thought the price was high given every other Seiko diver I was considering ranged from $250 to $750. But, that's 100% my fault. I know better now.


And, with that out of the way, here's an obligatory photo of my SLA017:

037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:39 PM   #2
brandrea
2020 Rolex BLNR Giveaway Pledge Member
 
brandrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Brian (TBone)
Location: canada
Watch: es make me smile
Posts: 40,431
It’s a beauty, congratulations

I recently discovered Seiko divers too, and for the money, they are hard to beat
__________________
Instagram ~ brandrea3
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:42 PM   #3
037
2020 Tudor GMT Giveaway Pledge Member
 
037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Real Name: Erik
Location: USA
Watch: Plastic GMT
Posts: 5,349
Thanks, Brian

It's a bargain compared to current dive watches, although I think I paid about the same for this as I did my first Rolex SD back in the day.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 02:03 PM   #4
Txkill
"TRF" Member
 
Txkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Real Name: Joseph
Location: Rockwall TX
Watch: Lots
Posts: 1,011
The 017 is such a great watch...probably the best dive watch seiko has produced. Although the 025 definitely pulls at my heart more...no denying this a fantastic watch!
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 02:08 PM   #5
037
2020 Tudor GMT Giveaway Pledge Member
 
037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Real Name: Erik
Location: USA
Watch: Plastic GMT
Posts: 5,349
Thanks, Joseph

I agree that this might be the best they've produced so far. The SBP071J1 with blue dial and bezel was also on my radar but I much prefer the 017 overall.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 02:27 PM   #6
gnuyork
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 514
Oooh. Nice!
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 03:09 PM   #7
jrs146
2020 Pledge Member
 
jrs146's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Real Name: Josh
Location: Lost in time
Watch: each card you play
Posts: 8,543
Very nice! Fits well within your collection. Enjoy!
__________________
"Sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own."
-Jerome J. Garcia, Robert C. Hunter
jrs146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 03:20 PM   #8
Danny83
2020 Rolex+Tudor GMT Pledge Member
 
Danny83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Real Name: Danny
Location: 94062
Watch: Yellow Gold
Posts: 14,609
Congrats
__________________
Official member WISCON 15-19
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 07:19 PM   #9
Ian Macdermott
2020 Tudor GMT Giveaway Pledge Member
 
Ian Macdermott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Real Name: Willy.B.Banned
Location: Sheol
Watch: ing the detectives
Posts: 2,239
Congratulations

Great looking watch enjoy
__________________
: Patek Philippe 5327R-001: Patek Philippe 5270G-018 : Patek Philippe 5101P : Audermars Piguet 26078RO : Jaeger-LeCoultre 606352J : Rolex 6265 : Rolex 116508 : Rolex 118339 : Rolex 118206 : Rolex 218206 : Rolex 6536 : Rolex 116619 LB : Rolex 116719BLRO : Omega 311.63.42.30.03.001 : A. Lange and Sohne 410.038FE :
A. Lange and Sohne 140.029 : These are watches I will buy when my numbers come up on the Lotto. Relax no one notices your watch they are way too busy staring at their phones.
Ian Macdermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 09:26 PM   #10
1William
2020 Rolex+Tudor GMT Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North Carolina
Watch: Rolex/Others
Posts: 23,689
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 10:41 PM   #11
DVR
"TRF" Member
 
DVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Real Name: Denis
Location: world
Watch: SBGA071
Posts: 910
Also a congrats from me! Better late than never.
I hesitated too, back in '17, but glad I decided it was all worth it.
If you are not after a profit I guarantee you, you'll enjoy the watch for a very long time.
I like it more now than when I first got it.
I used to be big in Rolex divers but this watch is so exquisite it opened up a whole new world of S and GS.
__________________
Grand Seiko - JLC - Rolex - Zenith - Seiko
DVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:07 AM   #12
JR16
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 4,413
Congrats! Love the look on isofrane, one of my favorite chunky straps.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:23 AM   #13
ink3027
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 559
Congrats brother Great picture, and really glad you're enjoying it so much.
ink3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 01:34 AM   #14
037
2020 Tudor GMT Giveaway Pledge Member
 
037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Real Name: Erik
Location: USA
Watch: Plastic GMT
Posts: 5,349
Going the massive multi-quote route here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Oooh. Nice!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Very nice! Fits well within your collection. Enjoy!
Absolutely. Thanks! It fits perfectly and holds its own against the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Congrats
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Macdermott View Post
Congratulations

Great looking watch enjoy
Indeed it is. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Congratulations.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
Also a congrats from me! Better late than never.
I hesitated too, back in '17, but glad I decided it was all worth it.
If you are not after a profit I guarantee you, you'll enjoy the watch for a very long time.
I like it more now than when I first got it.
I used to be big in Rolex divers but this watch is so exquisite it opened up a whole new world of S and GS.
Thanks! It's been great so far. I've been looking more closely at GS and could see adding more Seiko in the future. Slippery slope engaged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Congrats! Love the look on isofrane, one of my favorite chunky straps.
Thanks! I've used it as a dive strap for years and it's still just as flexible. I might grab a Tropic from the same manufacturer at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink3027 View Post
Congrats brother Great picture, and really glad you're enjoying it so much.
Thanks! It's been a refreshing surprise. Definitely glad I found one.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 01:50 AM   #15
scarlet knight
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Earth
Watch: Good ones
Posts: 4,622
Very nice! Enjoy it!
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 01:51 AM   #16
037
2020 Tudor GMT Giveaway Pledge Member
 
037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Real Name: Erik
Location: USA
Watch: Plastic GMT
Posts: 5,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Very nice! Enjoy it!
Absolutely! Thanks!
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 06:12 AM   #17
nworbled
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 241
Nice one!
nworbled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 06:23 AM   #18
42itus
2020 Rolex+Tudor GMT Pledge Member
 
42itus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Real Name: Tom
Location: Honolulu
Watch: 116519LN
Posts: 2,111
That dial! Beautiful! Nice pickup!
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 07:06 AM   #19
037
2020 Tudor GMT Giveaway Pledge Member
 
037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Real Name: Erik
Location: USA
Watch: Plastic GMT
Posts: 5,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by nworbled View Post
Nice one!
Agreed! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
That dial! Beautiful! Nice pickup!
Thanks! The sunburst anthracite really sets it apart. It's like an LV Sub at 40% the cost.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 07:07 AM   #20
Heu
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Brasil
Posts: 1,036
Congrats!
Heu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 11:02 AM   #21
antbkny
2020 Rolex+Tudor GMT Pledge Member
 
antbkny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Real Name: Anthony
Location: NYC
Watch: Dblue
Posts: 6,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Got this a couple weeks ago but slacked on an incoming post.

This is my first Seiko. I was originally hunting for a 6217-8001 big crown. I missed a few on eBay—most of which needed serviced and/or relumed—then decided to try the remake instead. No regrets.

I threw it on an Isofrane strap that I've had for 15+ years and love the combo. It wears much like a 16660/16600/116600 Sea-Dweller on a dive strap.


What I like:
- The anthracite dial, markers and hands are interesting. After 20+ years of Rolex divers, most of which being SDs with gloss black dials, this is a huge departure in the right direction.
- The boxed and domed crystal make it feel like vintage acrylic. The mirror polished chapter ring give it depth that wouldn't exist otherwise.
- The bezel insert has full gradations like a ceramic Sea-Dweller. I love that. I also like the illuminated dot at zero and no triangle.
- The case lacks crown guards. I enjoy the big crown floating by itself.
- Winding is smooth. I was surprised how light it feels when winding.
- Timekeeping is better than expected. Mine gains about 5 seconds daily but I can pull that back out just by leaving it crown-up overnight. If I pull too much out then I keep it face-up. As of right now it's +3 seconds fast of the atom clock and I haven't set it in 13 days. I've only manually wound it a few times to keep it in rotation.
- Bezel action is fun. It feels and sounds excellent. The coined edge looks great.
- Lug holes.

What I don't like:
- I wish the lugs were 20mm wide rather than 19mm. That's minor.
- The silicone strap and stainless bracelet aren't great. That's also minor.
- The 19mm lugs make for an odd springbar size and the original bars are 2.5mm in diameter. I'm on the hunt for a 19mm bar that's 2.0mm in diameter with proper 1.1~1.2mm pivots. Thankfully my strap fits over the OEM fat bars so this is also minor.

What I hate:
- That I didn't preorder one back in 2017 when originally announced. I thought the price was high given every other Seiko diver I was considering ranged from $250 to $750. But, that's 100% my fault. I know better now.


And, with that out of the way, here's an obligatory photo of my SLA017:

looks great on the isofrane
__________________
“Quality over quantity”
Instagram: wristshotguy
https://www.instagram.com/wristshotguy/
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:24 PM   #22
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member
 
toxicavenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado Springs
Watch: Seiko's
Posts: 2,307
Congrats on it. It is a sweet piece. Just a head up you do not need 19mm specific spring bars. You can use 20mm versions with a 1.2mm tip. https://www.toxicnatos.com/collectio...12700892790896
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 01:53 PM   #23
szander14
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3
I think you may have beat me to the punch on this one! Congrats! The search continues...
szander14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 03:26 PM   #24
037
2020 Tudor GMT Giveaway Pledge Member
 
037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Real Name: Erik
Location: USA
Watch: Plastic GMT
Posts: 5,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heu View Post
Congrats!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
looks great on the isofrane
Thanks! Looking at your IG account I'm guessing you like dive watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Congrats on it. It is a sweet piece. Just a head up you do not need 19mm specific spring bars. You can use 20mm versions with a 1.2mm tip. https://www.toxicnatos.com/collectio...12700892790896
Thanks. If the 20x1.78x1.2mm option on your list will fit this case then I'll grab a couple sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szander14 View Post
I think you may have beat me to the punch on this one! Congrats! The search continues...
Ha, maybe? I found this one through a member here on TRF. I missed a few before it, plus a few vintage 6217s, but being patient was worth it. Keep looking. They're out there.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 12:08 PM   #25
037
2020 Tudor GMT Giveaway Pledge Member
 
037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Real Name: Erik
Location: USA
Watch: Plastic GMT
Posts: 5,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Congrats on it. It is a sweet piece. Just a head up you do not need 19mm specific spring bars. You can use 20mm versions with a 1.2mm tip. https://www.toxicnatos.com/collectio...12700892790896
Just a heads-up to anyone who might stumble across this thread. The springbars linked here don't fit. I ordered two sets and the center bars measure 19.80mm fully compressed and won't fit.

Back to the hunt.

If anyone knows of a 19 x 1.8~2.0 x 1.2mm shoulderless springbar please let me know.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 01:32 PM   #26
ap1
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: usa
Posts: 13,793
Beautiful dial and nice lume on that one. I couldn’t stand the lint infested rubber strap. You need your own strap for this one
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 01:48 PM   #27
Fat_ninja
"TRF" Member
 
Fat_ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Real Name: Jonathan
Location: USA
Watch: P-01
Posts: 11,555
Really like this reissue
__________________
Instagram: really_fat_ninja
http://www.instagram.com/really_fat_ninja/
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 02:22 PM   #28
037
2020 Tudor GMT Giveaway Pledge Member
 
037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Real Name: Erik
Location: USA
Watch: Plastic GMT
Posts: 5,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Beautiful dial and nice lume on that one. I couldn’t stand the lint infested rubber strap. You need your own strap for this one
Thanks and agreed. The factory silicone strap is mediocre. I enjoy it on Isofrane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Really like this reissue
Seiko did well with this one. It curbed my desire for a 6217-800x. I still plan to add one but it's no rush.

037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 02:30 PM   #29
Alcan
2020 Pledge Member
 
Alcan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Real Name: Al
Location: Way Up North
Watch: your P's & Q's
Posts: 10,395
Congrats. Nice, clean design.
__________________
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 02:37 PM   #30
037
2020 Tudor GMT Giveaway Pledge Member
 
037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Real Name: Erik
Location: USA
Watch: Plastic GMT
Posts: 5,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Congrats. Nice, clean design.
Thank you.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2019, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.