The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 January 2020, 09:09 AM   #1
Jhmessing
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Ceramic Sub
What would you do?!

Okay, I want to get your take on this...and it might seem like a ridiculous post but here it goes...Lol

I have been thinking of an Omega Seamaster (latest model) with the blue dial for a while now. I finally bought a pre one this week as an excellent condition piece! No big marks or any dings at all. Case is mint and untouched. It was a great deal as it wasn’t a daily wearer of the original owner. All box and papers were included and it was purchased back December of 2018 from an Omega boutique.

I was always hesitant to buy one new at an AD fearing I wouldn’t like it and have to sell at a huge hit. Well now I know that it’s a great piece and love it!!

Here is my question...do I sell it for a wash and go buy a brand new one for 2k plus more that I can say is truly mine from being the original owner? Or do I keep what I have and just make it my own? I plan on this piece being a daily go to for me and know I’ll probably beat it up anyway...

Stupid question , but let me know your thoughts...what would you do??!

Thanks for your input!

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jhmessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 01:55 PM   #2
johnnytx
"TRF" Member

Keep it and save that money. I buy almost everything pre-owned. If you buy from a reputable dealer, it is just fine. You get a mint watch and save a ton of money. In my experience, the higher up the horological ladder you go, the more insane it is to buy new...there are exceptions to this rule, but only a few.

johnnytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 03:02 PM   #3
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
Nah....just keep it and enjoy it! It's like new anyway, so save the AD money and consider yourself lucky.
Old 24 January 2020, 04:17 PM   #4
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
No way you sell it and buy a new one if yours is already mint and full set. Keep the money or spend it on something worth it.

When I score a great pre-owned deal for a mint piece, it makes me happier and more relaxed than buying brand new at retail price. I can really enjoy it more.

Yes I understand and appreciate the appeal of being the first owner but that experience although very nice doesn't come cheap. I only pay retail if pre-owned price is higher or not much lower.

My 2 cents.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 10:02 PM   #5
Jhmessing
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Ceramic Sub
What would you do?!

Thank you all for the input! Ok I feel better...LOL. I agree with you guys and will consider myself fortunate to find one relatively new with 4 years left of the warranty, full set and in excellent condition. Now I just have to think about what to spend the savings on

Cheers
James

Jhmessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 10:44 PM   #6
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Keep what you have and take the 2k you would spend and start looking for another watch. I always prefer pre-owned if I can get it for a significant savings. Complete with box, papers and warranty if possible but I have bought without some or all of that if the dealer is reputable and the price is right.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 11:06 PM   #7
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I prefer to pay the premium and buy new, but now you’ve bought Pre-owned, keep it.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 01:07 PM   #8
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Definitely keep it and put the funds toward something else.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote