The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 January 2020, 12:40 PM   #1
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
Case back irritation on 116600 - Advice

Hey guys,

I purchased a 116600 about a month ago. I absolutely love it. I think everything about the watch is perfect.

I have one issue however, this week, seemingly out of no where, the watch started to irritate me where the case back sits. I do not have irritation on the bracelet or clasp FWIW. It’s a slight burning sensation, similar to a mild sunburn, and it sometimes leaves the skin a little red in one spot. Imagine the caseback sitting like a circle flat on your wrist, the irritation is around 10 o’clock.

Now I’ve worn this watch every day for the last 4 weeks with no issues at all. I have not adjusted the fit in anyway. In fact, I thought it was one of the more comfortable Rolex’s I’ve ever owned (BLNR, 16610, 14060, 15210). But now, it’s starting to bother me. I feel like I’ve sized all these watches to fit the same way. Above my wrist bone, snug with no play, can fit half a pinky under the 6 endlink.

Here’s what I’ve tried based on other suggestions in other threads:

- Rearranging links (no I don’t have the diver extension in) ie: 5 on 12 and 4 on 6 and vice versa, even tried 4 on 12 and 6 and put the glidelock all the way out

- Wearing it looser - Just uncomfortable and loose

- Wearing it tighter - Restrictive

I’ve worn a Rolex for years, including my 15210 for 10 years and BLNR for 1 year, every day never had an issue.

So as you can see, I’m kind of at a loss here. I’m hoping someone can weigh in with some suggestions. Here’s so thoughts:

- I’m in the northwest and it turned really cold this week and dry - wondering if it’s dry skin that’s causing the irritation.

- The weight of the case ... though the watch itself Is only 13g heavier than the BLNR. Can 13g make a difference?

- The shape of the case back. It protrudes, but so do all Rolex watches. It’s not that far off from the 16610 as far as I can tell

- The writing around the caseback cause irritation? It’s the one difference between the casebacks aside from thickness.

- Is this just in my head and all mental now? ie: I keep thinking about it therefor it’s bothering me.

Wondering if other owners or people with similar situations could weigh in. I really don’t want to give up on this watch because it really checks all the boxes for me. But this is one thing that wasn’t even in my radar of issues when purchasing a watch.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 12:49 PM   #2
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Case back irritation on 116600 - Advice

The case back material in the 116600 is different than the rest of the watch, i believe it’s titanium, could that be the issue?

I wear mine very and never had an issue, i do take it into the shower every now and then and wash it with shampoo, maybe that could help?

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 12:53 PM   #3
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I wonder if its some kind of allergic reaction to some element in the metal, nickel? Perhaps apply protective film to the caseback and see if the irritation goes away?
CDNWatchNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 01:00 PM   #4
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
The case back material in the 116600 is different than the rest of the watch, i believe it’s titanium, could that be the issue?

I wear mine very and never had an issue, i do take it into the shower every now and then and wash it with shampoo, maybe that could help?

That’s the 116660 Deepsea. That has a titanium case back.

Old 24 January 2020, 01:00 PM   #5
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNWatchNut View Post
I wonder if its some kind of allergic reaction to some element in the metal, nickel? Perhaps apply protective film to the caseback and see if the irritation goes away?

That’s going to be my next move. I’m going to try and put some tape on the caseback and see how it goes tomorrow. For all I know that could cause more irritation lol.

Old 24 January 2020, 01:01 PM   #6
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
It protrudes more on any Sea-Dweller that's not a DSSD.
If it's irritating you there's two simple solutions that are proven to work time and again.
In no particular order and taking the circumstances into consideration, one is to move it on, the other is to loosen the fit so it can move around much more and get used to it like that.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 01:03 PM   #7
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmbarrack View Post
That’s the 116660 Deepsea. That has a titanium case back.

You’re right, sorry my bad. It’s tough without pics and I mixed up the 6 and 0’s...

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 01:06 PM   #8
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
That’s going to be my next move. I’m going to try and put some tape on the caseback and see how it goes tomorrow. For all I know that could cause more irritation lol.

That may work.
You could try some protective clear film like they put on cars to protect against stone chips.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 01:33 PM   #9
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Hey guys,

I purchased a 116600 about a month ago. I absolutely love it. I think everything about the watch is perfect.

I have one issue however, this week, seemingly out of no where, the watch started to irritate me where the case back sits. I do not have irritation on the bracelet or clasp FWIW. It’s a slight burning sensation, similar to a mild sunburn, and it sometimes leaves the skin a little red in one spot. Imagine the caseback sitting like a circle flat on your wrist, the irritation is around 10 o’clock.

Now I’ve worn this watch every day for the last 4 weeks with no issues at all. I have not adjusted the fit in anyway. In fact, I thought it was one of the more comfortable Rolex’s I’ve ever owned (BLNR, 16610, 14060, 15210). But now, it’s starting to bother me. I feel like I’ve sized all these watches to fit the same way. Above my wrist bone, snug with no play, can fit half a pinky under the 6 endlink.

Here’s what I’ve tried based on other suggestions in other threads:

- Rearranging links (no I don’t have the diver extension in) ie: 5 on 12 and 4 on 6 and vice versa, even tried 4 on 12 and 6 and put the glidelock all the way out

- Wearing it looser - Just uncomfortable and loose

- Wearing it tighter - Restrictive

I’ve worn a Rolex for years, including my 15210 for 10 years and BLNR for 1 year, every day never had an issue.

So as you can see, I’m kind of at a loss here. I’m hoping someone can weigh in with some suggestions. Here’s so thoughts:

- I’m in the northwest and it turned really cold this week and dry - wondering if it’s dry skin that’s causing the irritation.

- The weight of the case ... though the watch itself Is only 13g heavier than the BLNR. Can 13g make a difference?

- The shape of the case back. It protrudes, but so do all Rolex watches. It’s not that far off from the 16610 as far as I can tell

- The writing around the caseback cause irritation? It’s the one difference between the casebacks aside from thickness.

- Is this just in my head and all mental now? ie: I keep thinking about it therefor it’s bothering me.

Wondering if other owners or people with similar situations could weigh in. I really don’t want to give up on this watch because it really checks all the boxes for me. But this is one thing that wasn’t even in my radar of issues when purchasing a watch.

Thanks in advance.

I may be in the minority here, but I still have hope that it may not be the watch.

Why don’t you try giving the watch a shower?

Have you started using a different lotion or something lately?

I have worn my Datejust for a little over a year now, worn it daily.

About a month ago, I noticed basically the same thing that you are describing.

Just a little red dot.

Honestly, I then got nervous because I remembered someone had posted on the forum that they were allergic to nickel and had a reaction.

But I gave the watch a rinse and forgot about it for a few days

When I remembered the dot was gone

So! Idk what it was but it never came back.
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 01:39 PM   #10
schoolboy
Banned

I’m assuming that if the other Rolex watches you’ve owned in SS haven’t done that to you it’s probably not going to be the material that is doing it
Old 24 January 2020, 02:28 PM   #11
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

It may just be dry skin. You've worn it for weeks with no problem until now so the likelihood of it being the watch is slim.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 03:57 PM   #12
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

You could try switching wrists and seeing if any irritation developed? Also would allow other wrist to heal up before putting SD back on.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:09 PM   #13
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
This has happened to me before and the culprit has always been a watch with "dweller" in the name. The case backs are thicker, more pronounced and have a smaller surface area. It's a small difference compared to a standard diver and more compared to a GMT2, but this small difference matters. This usually causes the discomfort.
I just switch wrists for a few days or switch watches. Something else that helped with my Deepseas was to use a Rubber B. The new redesign has helped immensely with my 126660 but my 116660 and previous 16600 all dug in, still I loved them to much to let go.

Once a Dweller digs in it will always dig in, some of just don't have the wrist for it. You'll see many threads here relating to this issue.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:58 PM   #14
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
This has happened to me before and the culprit has always been a watch with "dweller" in the name. The case backs are thicker, more pronounced and have a smaller surface area. It's a small difference compared to a standard diver and more compared to a GMT2, but this small difference matters. This usually causes the discomfort.
I just switch wrists for a few days or switch watches. Something else that helped with my Deepseas was to use a Rubber B. The new redesign has helped immensely with my 126660 but my 116660 and previous 16600 all dug in, still I loved them to much to let go.

Once a Dweller digs in it will always dig in, some of just don't have the wrist for it. You'll see many threads here relating to this issue.
I'm in that discomfort digging in camp.. not wearing the watch anymore but too attached to let it go.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 07:49 PM   #15
tp0821
"TRF" Member

Agree as well, sounds like a pressure-induced hypersensitivity. It may just be an irritation now but if you keep wearing it as you are it may become outright unbearable.
tp0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:08 PM   #16
Wood&Leather
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s going to be my next move. im going to try and put some tape on the caseback and see how it goes tomorrow. For all I know that could cause more irritation lol.
Good god almighty.

Imagine saying you think a watch is perfect, but having to apply TAPE to it in order to make it wearable.

Imagine if this was a Tudor. Thread would be 4 pages long with “poor mans rolex” comments already.

Imagine tape on a Rolex. Tape. Literally lol’d. Not a personal jab, that’s just funny considering we’re in a luxury timepiece niche here.
Wood&Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:21 PM   #17
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood&Leather View Post
Good god almighty.

Imagine saying you think a watch is perfect, but having to apply TAPE to it in order to make it wearable.

Imagine if this was a Tudor. Thread would be 4 pages long with “poor mans rolex” comments already.

Imagine tape on a Rolex. Tape. Literally lol’d. Not a personal jab, that’s just funny considering we’re in a luxury timepiece niche here.

I know, it’s completely ridiculous.

But I’m trying to figure something out where I don’t need to get rid of the watch. I’m also hoping that potentially this is like a dry skin issue due to the cold dry weather we’re having where it goes away in its own and the tape is not needed.

Old 24 January 2020, 09:23 PM   #18
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
I may be in the minority here, but I still have hope that it may not be the watch.

Why don’t you try giving the watch a shower?

Have you started using a different lotion or something lately?

I have worn my Datejust for a little over a year now, worn it daily.

About a month ago, I noticed basically the same thing that you are describing.

Just a little red dot.

Honestly, I then got nervous because I remembered someone had posted on the forum that they were allergic to nickel and had a reaction.

But I gave the watch a rinse and forgot about it for a few days

When I remembered the dot was gone

So! Idk what it was but it never came back.

Yep. I gave the watch and my wrist a bath. They was another suggestion from the forums I had read. Didn’t really seem to help all that much, but I at least know it’s clean.

Old 24 January 2020, 09:25 PM   #19
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
It may just be dry skin. You've worn it for weeks with no problem until now so the likelihood of it being the watch is slim.

Right, that’s the strange thing. I wore this watch for almost 4 weeks without any issues or discomfort. The issue seemed to come out of no where and then no go away.

Like someone else suggested, maybe I just need to give it some time to heal? But I’ve been taking it off right after work and not putting it on for a solid 12-14 hours for the last few nights.

Old 24 January 2020, 09:59 PM   #20
OrangeKenny
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
If you don’t find the cause yourself, I’d recommend a dermatologist. They are really good at that sort of thing.
And if it is a metal allergy you can try a layer of clear nail polish. The ladies have been doing it with their jewellery for years!
OrangeKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 10:18 PM   #21
Glidelock
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDC4000, Sub LVC
Just give the watch a good bath with soap and water...dry thoroughly...and your irritation will be gone. My experience is this happens because the thin layer of sweat and possibly jewelry cleaner that remains on the case back from when they put it in the ultrasonic tub, will now be removed and you’ll no longer have these irritants causing a problem. This is the exact same thing that happens to me each and every time I have ever allowed Ben Bridge to clean my watch for me with that thing. So, I no longer allow it. Same thing can occur if sweat bacteria builds up on it as well. I wear my watches in the shower nearly every day...so they rarely build up this type of bacteria...but occasionally it happens!
Glidelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 10:31 PM   #22
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidelock View Post
Just give the watch a good bath with soap and water...dry thoroughly...and your irritation will be gone. My experience is this happens because the thin layer of sweat and possibly jewelry cleaner that remains on the case back from when they put it in the ultrasonic tub, will now be removed and you’ll no longer have these irritants causing a problem. This is the exact same thing that happens to me each and every time I have ever allowed Ben Bridge to clean my watch for me with that thing. So, I no longer allow it. Same thing can occur if sweat bacteria builds up on it as well. I wear my watches in the shower nearly every day...so they rarely build up this type of bacteria...but occasionally it happens!

Thanks for the tip. I actually did this the other morning. Washed with warm water and dish soap and took an alcohol pad to the caseback for good measure. Still seem to be having the issue unfortunately...

Old 24 January 2020, 10:32 PM   #23
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKenny View Post
If you don’t find the cause yourself, I’d recommend a dermatologist. They are really good at that sort of thing.
And if it is a metal allergy you can try a layer of clear nail polish. The ladies have been doing it with their jewellery for years!

I thought about this, but if it’s the weight of the watch as opposed to an allergy, then the nail podiatrist may not do me any good. Plus if I need to sell the watch, I’m not sure how easy it would be to remove the polish...

Old 24 January 2020, 11:16 PM   #24
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Alright well today I’m going to try the following:

- I’m putting the links back to the original configuration as when I walked out of the shop: 4 at 12 and 5 at 6

- I’m going to loosen the glidelock 2mm - so one notch. It makes it a little looser and gives it slightly more play. I’ll just try and get used to it.

- Put a small piece of tape on the backside where it was bothering me. Stupid, I know. But let’s just see how it goes.

I’d put it on a nato but the springbars are so thick on this none of my natos fit. So that’s a test for another day.

Old 24 January 2020, 11:21 PM   #25
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Worst case check out the new 126660. Titanium case back and wears smaller than you’d expect outside the thickness.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:25 PM   #26
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Worst case check out the new 126660. Titanium case back and wears smaller than you’d expect outside the thickness.

Man if I was going to get rid of it I’d go smaller, My wrist couldn’t handle the 44mm case size.

That said, I don’t even like the way the 6 digit Subs or GMTs look on my wrist ... so I’m not sure we’re Id even go from here. Getting rid of this is like worst case scenario.

Old 24 January 2020, 11:38 PM   #27
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
That happens to me with the SD43, after a while (snug fit) the irritation go away and is comfortable now, in my opinion the 904L of the SEADWELLER line is a better composition for corrosion.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 11:42 PM   #28
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
That happens to me with the SD43, after a while (snug fit) the irritation go away and is comfortable now, in my opinion the 904L of the SEADWELLER line is a better composition for corrosion.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. How long did it take to go away? Did you have the irritation as soon as you got the watch or was it like me where it started after a period of time?

I’m also hoping that I can just wear it and it goes away ...

Old 25 January 2020, 01:23 AM   #29
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Yep. I gave the watch and my wrist a bath. They was another suggestion from the forums I had read. Didn’t really seem to help all that much, but I at least know it’s clean.

Wishing for the best
Old 25 January 2020, 01:31 AM   #30
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Man if I was going to get rid of it I’d go smaller, My wrist couldn’t handle the 44mm case size.

That said, I don’t even like the way the 6 digit Subs or GMTs look on my wrist ... so I’m not sure we’re Id even go from here. Getting rid of this is like worst case scenario.

Got it. While not ideal to sell, if you ever do maybe also consider a YM 40. It fits more like 5 digit on the wrist but still has modern features save for the ceramic bezel. I never liked the DSSD myself until I tried the new bracelet and proportions. It’s a sleeper for sure if you haven’t tried on at least. Just my opinion but here I think you have a slight nickel allergy and the shape of the SD4k case back is causing more irritation to your allergy from the friction. I like your idea to try tape as a last resort. Hopefully that helps alleviate bc the 4K is an amazing watch
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote