The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 June 2019, 08:10 PM   #1
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Manual wind broken on 5167. Can it be worn, let’s all learn something about watches

OK, Summers here and due to “an issue”, I only have "other brands" but no PP to wear with my T-shirt like I normally do. I have however been testing my broken 5167A and I now worked out it’s the manual winding that doesn’t work. The manual wind has the right resistance and feels like it’s winding, but with 40 turns it runs for less than 5mins. Wearing the watch for a few days it keeps good time and runs fine through the night off the wrist.

I’m thinking the manual wind must use a different system and it will be OK to wear, because if I didn’t know the manual wind was broken, I would have just turned the crown a few times to get it going, set the time and worn it. I mean who checks the manual winding mechanism is properly working on an automatic BEFORE they strap on each morning.

I know it may not be recommended AND it needs a service AND you wouldn’t do it but will using the watch with just the automatic winding cause any damage (serious or minor) if I use it over the summer and then get it serviced.

I am NOT asking members to decide if I should wear the 5167 or not. (and no 5-word replies please). I am looking for stories based on previous experience or hard facts from members with knowledge of movements (especially 324) hopefully we can all learn something about watches for a change.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 08:18 PM   #2
Aquaman
Banned

the thing ive learnt about watches from your previous threads is your not to be trusted around them, especially pateks

i personally would take it in for a service, maybe they will do a 2 for 1 service for you, or if you have a winder put it on that when your not wearing it
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 08:50 PM   #3
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

No winder is needed, I am thinking it will be my daily wearer for the summer. Will it last that long though, I am sure I read somewhere that it would not cause any issues.
Old 19 June 2019, 09:22 PM   #4
Lgear080
Banned

I think it should be repaired. You just never know what damage you could be causing. I’d bite the bullet and send it in.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 10:06 PM   #5
waspy1
Banned

It’s a modern watch with a current movement. Any damaged parts will be replaced with new at the next service with no significant effect on the service cost. I’d think differently about a piece which is vintage and would need special manufacture of parts but for a piece like this I’d just wear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 10:36 PM   #6
Rsdecker971
"TRF" Member

I had a similar issue with an AC that would not manually wind. Wore it with no problems. Serviced it months later at a more convenient time.
Rsdecker971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 10:41 PM   #7
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
My only concern would be if something had broken with the manual wind... what if there is a small part now floating around in the case? Could potentially cause more damage.

Then again, it should be covered under warranty if you bought it new :)

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 10:53 PM   #8
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Hope this one isn’t rusty
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 10:55 PM   #9
yoast
"TRF" Member

I'd just wear it over summer and send it in later. By the time it'll be ready it's probably summer again, so it's perfect if you only use it in summer.
Old 19 June 2019, 11:39 PM   #10
JVM
Banned

That would drive me crazy! It’s not going to fix itself, I’d get it fixed ASAP.
JVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 11:43 PM   #11
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
I'd just wear it over summer and send it in later. By the time it'll be ready it's probably summer again, so it's perfect if you only use it in summer.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Nothing beats a 5167 on rubber in the summer
Old 19 June 2019, 11:47 PM   #12
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai-man View Post
Nothing beats a 5167 on rubber in the summer
Try saying that 4 times in a row fast.
Old 20 June 2019, 02:38 AM   #13
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Man your not having much luck lol

Are you a stunt man by any chance?

Sounds like a good idea - get it fixed in winter when you wont miss it
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 05:58 AM   #14
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

My problem is not luck, it’s buying at retail. I understand the reason for the hyper inflated grey prices, its not flippers. It’s because someone else has tested the watch is OK before you buy it.
Old 20 June 2019, 06:03 AM   #15
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
My problem is not luck, it’s buying at retail. I understand the reason for the hyper inflated grey prices, its not flippers. It’s because someone else has tested the watch is OK before you buy it.

so do all your watches break within 2 years?

are you heavy handed?

ive only ever bought at retail , thank my lucky stars and ive had 1 problem with 1 watch which my AD sorted within 3 weeks, and yep thats returned to patek etc

so is it us or just you?

sorry to be frank
Old 20 June 2019, 07:03 PM   #16
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
so do all your watches break within 2 years?

are you heavy handed?

ive only ever bought at retail , thank my lucky stars and ive had 1 problem with 1 watch which my AD sorted within 3 weeks, and yep thats returned to patek etc

so is it us or just you?

sorry to be frank
Whooa!! that’s the last time I try a humorous and snappy comeback.
Old 20 June 2019, 07:08 PM   #17
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Whooa!! that’s the last time I try a humorous and snappy comeback.
no my apologies
Old 20 June 2019, 10:09 PM   #18
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushne View Post
My only concern would be if something had broken with the manual wind... what if there is a small part now floating around in the case? Could potentially cause more damage.

Then again, it should be covered under warranty if you bought it new :)

Agree.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 11:36 PM   #19
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael T View Post
Agree.
Agree as well, very good advise. I never thought of that, good job I started this thread. I shall heed that advice and wear Rolex instead.

Just a bit of background, the 5167 stopped working whilst in storage, it’s never been wet, knocked, bashed or dropped only very occasional use since new walking round town in summer. I don’t think there is any debris but it wouldn’t take much I guess. Thinking about it now though, something did happen, not sure if it’s relevant.

From new the watch was only worn a few odd weekends now and then so I needed to manually wind it each time to get it started. Each time it was hand wound i could feel and hear a small scraping click sound after about 10 turns of the crown. Almost like something slipped a tiny micro fraction as the spring began to tighten. It happened each time from new, but it doesn’t do it now. I assume it is normal for 324, but the 324 in my 5711 doesn’t do it. Any thoughts?
Old 22 June 2019, 06:42 PM   #20
bob101
"TRF" Member

Time for a service. Email Patek also and give your feedback and details. If the winding stem is damaged best get it fixed asap and not wear.
Just waiting for a certain someone to come in and reply Patek quality ain't what it used to be and got to go Geneva seal and preferably 20 years ago Joking
bob101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 08:36 PM   #21
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 09:12 PM   #22
SearChart
TechXpert

You most likely have a broken mainspring. And the fact that you can still wind it a bit/can make it run while wearing suggests to me that it broke somewhere in the middle of the spring, instead of near the Arbor or end, as it wouldn't be very usable then.

Wearing it won't do any significant damage, it will damage the mainspring barrel but that will get replaced during service anyway. I'd suggest a service asap, but it is fine to wear during the summer if that's what you really want.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 11:43 PM   #23
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
You most likely have a broken mainspring. And the fact that you can still wind it a bit/can make it run while wearing suggests to me that it broke somewhere in the middle of the spring, instead of near the Arbor or end, as it wouldn't be very usable then.

Wearing it won't do any significant damage, it will damage the mainspring barrel but that will get replaced during service anyway. I'd suggest a service asap, but it is fine to wear during the summer if that's what you really want.
Thanks Bas, I was thinking something like that. Is it unusual to get a broken spring from casual use in a newish watch?
Old 23 June 2019, 12:15 AM   #24
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Thanks Bas, I was thinking something like that. Is it unusual to get a broken spring from casual use in a newish watch?
Not unusual, probably just a weak spring, it happens unfortunately.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 11:39 PM   #25
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Just a final update on this thread

OK so I am not so sure it is a broken main spring after all. I wore the 5167 for the whole day including an 8.5km jog, took the watch off to see what the power reserve was. The watch ran for a little over 44.5 hours just a fraction short of the maximum spec.

I wound it 60 full turns using the crown and it ran for 3.5 minutes and stopped, I now decided to go back to my trusty Astronaut while I wait for the outcome of my 5711.

Thanks for all the replies guys, even if we didn't learn much.