The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 April 2019, 01:58 AM   #1
d-dawg
"TRF" Member

5146G-010 advice and experience

Dear fellow watch enthusiasts,

I have been following this forum for a while and finally became a member - many thanks for accepting, and looking forward to contributing.

I have been circling around the 5146G-010 (slate dial) for more than a year by now and this would be my first PP. I came close to pulling the trigger but then chickened out again earlier this year as this would be my most expensive watch purchase ever.

One of the reasons for hesitating is my understanding is that the PP ACs are somewhat less desired models in the PP line-up and that's why prices on the secondary market don't hold up. I don't intend to sell the watch (and never did so historically), but also want to buy at a fair price. Hence the question: does anyone have an opinion on the discount that would be fair on this model, if at all?

The second reason for hesitating is the fact that it is an AC and not a PC: did anyone here start off with an AC and then felt that it would have been a better decision to go straight to a PC?

I also looked at the 5140 PC on the secondary market recently, but don't feel it's the right one for me, particularly once you've seen the squished dates (I can't unsee it).

I really like the symmetric dial of the 5146 with a date window (easier to read than a radial date), as well as the power reserve, so essentially I am there, apart from above two questions. Only alternative I considered was the 5146P which is even cleaner on the dial (no 3-6-9 numerals), but the premium from gold to platinum feels just too high for me...

My current collection includes the following watches
- JlC Master Ultra Thin rose gold: dress watch I wear regularly for work
- Rolex Hulk: holiday and summer watch
- VC Overseas three-hands with blue dial: I know, not much love for VC here, but I love it
- IWC Portugieser chrono: it all started with that one

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, insights and opinions, many thanks in advance!
d-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 04:47 AM   #2
ts3
"TRF" Member

Not sure if I can be of much help as I don't own a Patek AC or PC but I would definitely get a PC myself as I tend to be very black and white. The ACs feel decidedly grey for me, half or two thirds of the way between a basic date and a PC. I also don't like the dial layouts of the ACs much, neither that of the 5146 nor that of the 5396, but I like both the 5140 and 5320 PC dial layouts.

Most likely I would get a pre-owned 3940 as I like its 36mm size and find the squished dates on the later/current models irritating just like you while the 5320 comes across as too retro for my taste. If the 5320 had a more classic Calatrava style design it would probably be my favorite.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 06:24 AM   #3
d-dawg
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your reply, ts3.

Indeed that is one common thinking I also read in other 5146-related threads, "why go for an AC when there's a PC".

At the same time, I really like the dial of the 5146 whereas in the PC line-up, I'd have to go pre-owned for the 3940. Not yet very familiar with PP and the risks associated with buying them pre-owned. Also, I may consider harder-to-get models further down the road, so building a purchase history could also be helpful in that perspective.

Generally I was never concerned with value retention historically (otherwise would not have bought the VC Overseas), so ultimately probably have to take the plunge here as well... Again, happy to do that, but I really need to be comfortable that I will be happy with the 5146 (and not regret not having bought a PC in the first place)...
Old 28 April 2019, 06:33 AM   #4
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on your decision to get your first Patek watch! It is always difficult to find that first perfect watch.

The price you will pay on a new 5146G from an AD will be different from a pre-owned watch. If you think you will never sell this watch, I would go ahead and get one from an AD, preferably with a small discount. Discounts will vary depending on whether you are purchasing from a UK/EU AD or elsewhere.

If you purchase pre-owned, just keep in mind that you may be getting a watch out of warranty and if something goes wrong, you are on your own to get it serviced. If you are a flipper and just want to wear it for a few months before moving on to your next watch, then by all means get the lowest price on a pre-owned and flip it for a minimal loss.

I own a 5146G slate dial and can recommend the watch without any reservation. I also own a 5140P and other PCs, but I have kept the 5146 because it is quite versatile with the lumed hands and hour markers for improved legibility.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 10:54 PM   #5
d-dawg
"TRF" Member

Thanks Jon_jon for your input. Indeed the 5146 seems quite versatile, it feels one could wear it more casually as well. At the same time, it's not a daily watch I guess given WG gets scratches easily, that I am aware of.

Would definitely go for an AD if I pull the trigger, the intention is not to flip it and I have never flipped before... Question is if this is just the start to an expensive journey with PP or whether I am going to be happy with this one...

Not easy to decide for the first Patek indeed!
Old 29 April 2019, 09:40 AM   #6
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Hi Mr Dawg , I have had much experience w PP - have 6 of them. The 5246 g would make a great piece for you. They are being sold pre-owned at bargain prices. Capetown Jewelers on EB has a gray face for 25,900 with original box and papers etc.If you could buy it under $25,000 US you would get a terrific buy. I wouldn’t hesitate! james in San Antonio Tx .
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2019, 10:31 AM   #7
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

Wait until you don't have the question anymore... You will know. I was circling the 5146 of all varieties and wanted to love it but ultimately did not love it on me. When I found the Patek I wanted, I didn't have a question any longer. Wasn't perpetual calendar either----other direction.
DJH1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2019, 10:43 AM   #8
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
5146 G or P are a great value preowned. Seems unlikely they lose much more. I have 3 AC’s and no perpetual. AC a great complication.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2019, 04:03 AM   #9
scuba77
"TRF" Member

I picked up the 5146g slate dial back in 2014 , it was my 2 patek after the 5167.
The 5167 was swapped for the 5164 in 2017 and I’ve just picked up pc.
I loved the 5146g but with this hobby you always what more :(
Welcome to patek the 5146 is great reference
scuba77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 07:36 AM   #10
Roovain
"TRF" Member

My 2-cents

I was in the same position as you for almost two years. Yes, there's something kinda "special" about a PP perpetual, but I liked the face(s) of the AC's much more. Plus, as a "newbie", is it really worth the extra money to NOT have to set your date once a year? That's the real difference, mechanism-wise, between the AC and Perpetual.....with the AC, you have to set the date after Feb. 28/29 to March 1. For the remainder of the year, the watch does it for you. With the perpetual, you can skip that once-a-year setting of the watch date. Is that worth several extra thousands? For my first PP, I didn't think it's worth it. Maybe when I'm ready to splurge on a 5270P, it'll be worth it. But my first watch (which I recently and finally bought) is the 5205R. And I absolutely adore it. And so does my son, who will eventually inherit this thing. Don't fall into the "value" trap or the mechanism trap or the "what others think" trap. Buy what YOU will enjoy looking at every day you wear it. Remember that when it comes to watches of this caliber, it's NOT just a watch.....it's ART you can wear on your wrist. If you don't love looking at it over and over, consider something else.
Roovain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 07:49 AM   #11
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
imho, the PC's excluding the current offerings are some of the most balanced dials available and i would strongly consider a preowned option.

the 240 movement is far more special imho and it was a watch worn by mr stern himself as a daily wear.

preowned prices are very fair for either a 3940 or 5140 both are amazing options, (i have a 5940 and find it to be a perfect daily wear)
Old 1 May 2019, 09:18 AM   #12
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
imho, the PC's excluding the current offerings are some of the most balanced dials available and i would strongly consider a preowned option.

the 240 movement is far more special imho and it was a watch worn by mr stern himself as a daily wear.

preowned prices are very fair for either a 3940 or 5140 both are amazing options, (i have a 5940 and find it to be a perfect daily wear)
How is the legibility on the 5940? I’ve toyed with the idea of getting the white dial 5940. Thanks.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 10:21 AM   #13
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
How is the legibility on the 5940? I’ve toyed with the idea of getting the white dial 5940. Thanks.
as good as any similar, white is likely a bit better
Old 1 May 2019, 10:54 PM   #14
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
as good as any similar, white is likely a bit better
Cool. Thanks.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 07:07 AM   #15
d-dawg
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the valuable inputs and opinions, much appreciated!

I think ultimately it boils down to what DJH1977 said - "wait until you don't have the question anymore"...

Will definitely keep you posted on my thinking and if I pull the trigger (frankly, feels more a question of "when" and not "if")...

Looks like the 5146 is a common entry to the world of PP...
Old 19 June 2019, 11:58 AM   #16
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
I love the 5146g, cream dial, great daily AC, great 1st complication to own. I agree, likely won't fall lower in value if bought pre-owned.
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote