The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 June 2019, 11:08 AM   #1
sahcivan
Banned

Watch: ing you watch me
5711/1r

Does anybody know a REALISTIC waiting time at a UK AD
Do you need previous buying history?

It’s my dads 60th birthday in September. My mother is keen to buy him his first proper watch, he would never dream of spending it on himself.

Any help would be really appreciated
sahcivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 11:14 AM   #2
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I’m not going to lie to u...in this environment... chances without history is almost zero.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 11:25 AM   #3
AutoBay
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Odysseus
Maybe not completely impossible but damn hard. I would try a smaller market, definitely not London, and just tell them what you are trying to do. I'd peg it at like 5 to 10 percent shot.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
AutoBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 12:59 PM   #4
bob101
"TRF" Member

Unless grey dealer very hard for Sept I think. Keep an eye on for sale pieces here. Is his heart set on that watch? How about gold Royal Oak instead?
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 04:17 PM   #5
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahcivan View Post

It’s my dads 60th birthday in September. My mother is keen to buy him his first proper watch, he would never dream of spending it on himself.

I’m trying to pm you but you’ve got too many stored messages and can’t receive any more until you delete some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 05:11 PM   #6
marselluswallace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116506
My local U.K. AD is 2-3 years for this at the moment.

I’d try a non London PP dealer - they may bundle you one sooner if you buy some other jewellery/watches from them at the same time
marselluswallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 06:03 PM   #7
sahcivan
Banned

Watch: ing you watch me
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I’m trying to pm you but you’ve got too many stored messages and can’t receive any more until you delete some.

Hi. I’ve emptied it 👍🏻
sahcivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 06:51 PM   #8
DGB
"TRF" Member

I have tried many AD, none even accepted to put me on the waiting list.
One said to me to be on the waiting list I need to buy many watches, and even if I am on the waiting list, the guys who purchased more watches than me will get it before me even if they came after me in the list.
I know now Patek is not for me, I can’t spend tens of thousands for watches I don’t want just to get a 5711.

Good luck in you research. Hope you’ll get one soon.

DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 09:46 PM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Resale is over double retail so you can work out how long a wait would be, maybe a 65th is a better choice.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 01:43 AM   #10
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
I've been waiting 3 years. They keep playing games. First two years they said I was on "the list" and number 4 on the "local" list, which was supposedly a good thing. Then they told me buy a complications piece and that would actually get me on the list. I purchased to show I was serious about wanting to deal local. Then they haven't received any in a long while, even thou instagram was blowing up with unworn pieces hitting the grey market all at the same time. Then I was told I was next to get one. Now they tell me its coming in within a week or two but only if I buy a $100k watch to pair it with, otherwise "Patek" won't send it. Because you know Patek is vetting every sale of their 50,000 watches a year and according to them only want people that are true Patek enthuisiasts. Thats why grey dealers have absolutely zero stock and never have any brand new unworn pieces dated to within days of new for sale, because you know they are so committed to making sure they end up with actual wearers like me. The lies they tell..... I should have just bought the piece grey three years ago when it was only a few thousand over msrp but I wanted to develop a relationship and the 1R wasn't the in demand piece. Could have worn for the last 3 years. Lesson learned.
Old 9 June 2019, 01:49 AM   #11
AutoBay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfarmer84 View Post
I've been waiting 3 years. They keep playing games. First two years they said I was on "the list" Then they told me buy a complications piece and that would actually get me on the list. I purchased. Then I was told I was next to get one. Now they tell me its coming in but only if I buy a $100k watch in addition too, otherwise "Patek" won't send it. Because you know Patek is vetting every sale of their 50,000 watches a year and only want people that are true Patek enthuisiasts. Thats why grey dealers have absolutely zero stock and never have any never worn pieces dated to within days of new for sale. The lies they tell..... I should have just bought the piece grey three years ago when it was only a few thousand over msrp but I wanted to develop a relationship and the 1R wasn't the in demand piece. Lesson learned.
That is infuriating. Honestly, that's why I changed ADs. You'd be amazed what some folks will tell you and then literally one block away get a totally different reality. I encourage you to shop your business. Now, that said, Patek does pay attention to who gets references like this, but they also don't condone quid pro quo selling...so FWIW, that's the bs you're hearing from the AD not Patek.

Old 9 June 2019, 01:55 AM   #12
aa909
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahcivan View Post

These are selling for double retail on the grey market, and the ugly truth no one wants to talk about is that these watches are leaving the AD out the side door and being sold directly on the grey market for 2X. The ADs are complicit.

If you’re a long time customer with a good purchase history then the AD may offer you one piece at retail in 2 years. but they are making way too much money selling these to grey market dealers at a huge mark up to make these available to the avg walk in client.
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 02:02 AM   #13
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBay View Post
That is infuriating. Honestly, that's why I changed ADs. You'd be amazed what some folks will tell you and then literally one block away get a totally different reality. I encourage you to shop your business. Now, that said, Patek does pay attention to who gets references like this, but they also don't condone quid pro quo selling...so FWIW, that's the bs you're hearing from the AD not Patek.

Yes I agree and I'm aware its them and not Patek. I was being very sarcastic as thats the "story". I just feel its game over at this point, as shopping AD's at this point seems like an impossible task given the market and my non purchase history with any others.
Old 9 June 2019, 02:11 AM   #14
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
I have tried many AD, none even accepted to put me on the waiting list.
One said to me to be on the waiting list I need to buy many watches, and even if I am on the waiting list, the guys who purchased more watches than me will get it before me even if they came after me in the list.
I know now Patek is not for me, I can’t spend tens of thousands for watches I don’t want just to get a 5711.

Good luck in you research. Hope you’ll get one soon.

At least they are honest.....
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 03:33 AM   #15
antoine524
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfarmer84 View Post
I've been waiting 3 years. They keep playing games. First two years they said I was on "the list" and number 4 on the "local" list, which was supposedly a good thing. Then they told me buy a complications piece and that would actually get me on the list. I purchased to show I was serious about wanting to deal local. Then they haven't received any in a long while, even thou instagram was blowing up with unworn pieces hitting the grey market all at the same time. Then I was told I was next to get one. Now they tell me its coming in within a week or two but only if I buy a $100k watch to pair it with, otherwise "Patek" won't send it. Because you know Patek is vetting every sale of their 50,000 watches a year and according to them only want people that are true Patek enthuisiasts. Thats why grey dealers have absolutely zero stock and never have any brand new unworn pieces dated to within days of new for sale, because you know they are so committed to making sure they end up with actual wearers like me. The lies they tell..... I should have just bought the piece grey three years ago when it was only a few thousand over msrp but I wanted to develop a relationship and the 1R wasn't the in demand piece. Could have worn for the last 3 years. Lesson learned.
WOW
If I was you, I will contact PP to clarify situation, mention your AD.
I don’t think they will offer you the watch faster or anything like that, but they will know what your AD is doing...
antoine524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 03:58 AM   #16
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoine524 View Post
WOW
I don’t think they will offer you the watch faster or anything like that, but they will know what your AD is doing...
I am sure Patek is fully aware of those practices by the ADs. Boodles is asking first time customers to buy jewellery to get an Aquanaut/Nautilus and WOS is asking first time customers to buy other watches in order to get in to their "waitlists"
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 04:25 AM   #17
Drkd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
I am sure Patek is fully aware of those practices by the ADs. Boodles is asking first time customers to buy jewellery to get an Aquanaut/Nautilus and WOS is asking first time customers to buy other watches in order to get in to their "waitlists"

and lets hope they lose there dealerships with patek or any other brand they do this with
Drkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 04:35 AM   #18
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkd View Post
and lets hope they lose there dealerships with patek or any other brand they do this with
Unlikely that will happen, Patek may revoke the dealership of a small AD but they may not revoke dealerships of Boodles or WOS for asking customers to buy other watches/jewellery.
Old 9 June 2019, 04:37 AM   #19
Drkd
Banned

Quote:
Unlikely that will happen, Patek may revoke the dealership of a small AD but they may not revoke dealerships of Boodles or WOS for asking customers to buy other watches/jewellery.
I know, but it's just as annoying as all those who buy and flip

Even tho Patek prefer dealing with smaller run family business, they know where they get there money from

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
Drkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 04:56 AM   #20
dannyp
Banned

Isn't a 5167R somewhat more attainable?

OP: Would he like that, with its composite strap? Could always have a custom leather strap outfitted for it (either using the provided clasp or purchasing a PP RG buckle).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 05:03 AM   #21
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoine524 View Post
WOW
The aggravating part isn't the "requirement" itself, rather the constant lies and additional hurdles. If this were completely transparent from the get go, then at least everyone knows the "rules" of the game.

Quote:
Quote:
And I'm sure that PP's stance on this will depend largely on what people are being pressured to buy. If it's other, more expensive, PP watches, then its continuation is entirely in PP's interest. If, on the other hand, it's diamonds or other jewelry, and people end up being turned off of the brand then perhaps their views will change.
Old 9 June 2019, 06:55 AM   #22
Codik
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
The aggravating part isn't the "requirement" itself, rather the constant lies and additional hurdles. If this were completely transparent from the get go, then at least everyone knows the "rules" of the game.

And I'm sure that PP's stance on this will depend largely on what people are being pressured to buy. If it's other, more expensive, PP watches, then its continuation is entirely in PP's interest. If, on the other hand, it's diamonds or other jewelry, and people end up being turned off of the brand then perhaps their views will change.

PP seems to be in it for the long run. I don't think they would support any variation of that behaviour.
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 07:39 AM   #23
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Absolutely agree. They sold me a line from the beginning.
Old 9 June 2019, 07:47 AM   #24
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codik View Post
PP seems to be in it for the long run. I don't think they would support any variation of that behaviour.
In some ways though pressure to first buy other Patek watches is in keeping with that. They want the watches in the hands of collectors, not trend whores.

I’ve always thought that part of the reason to keep SS production low is that PP wants the 5711/5167 to be a stainless watch for Patek buyers, not a Patek for stainless buyers.
Old 9 June 2019, 08:16 AM   #25
AutoBay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In some ways though pressure to first buy other Patek watches is in keeping with that. They want the watches in the hands of collectors, not trend whores.

I’ve always thought that part of the reason to keep SS production low is that PP wants the 5711/5167 to be a stainless watch for Patek buyers, not a Patek for stainless buyers.
I think you're completely right. The community has just gotten so big so fast, no one can keep up.

Old 9 June 2019, 09:25 AM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codik View Post
Obviously bundling with other Pateks is their ideal but bundling with anything else is still good for them as it means the customer is a genuine watch buyer, which is what they want, not just the maximising of profits.
Old 9 June 2019, 09:50 AM   #27
Dlindsay
Banned

Watchfinder had one listed for 87750 GBP for a couple of days and now it is gone. Papers were dated 04/2019
Dlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 03:07 PM   #28
bob101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlindsay View Post
Watchfinder had one listed for 87750 GBP for a couple of days and now it is gone. Papers were dated 04/2019
Shame that someone would get chance of watch like that and flip after few weeks. They've also got two, VIP only I presume, perpetual naut and asking more than double nearly 200k for them. You'd like to think if new owner registers they'd blacklist those selling immediately that had no intention of keeping. Frustrating for those waiting who dream of a grail watch.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 06:01 PM   #29
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob101 View Post
Shame that someone would get chance of watch like that and flip after few weeks. They've also got two, VIP only I presume, perpetual naut and asking more than double nearly 200k for them. You'd like to think if new owner registers they'd blacklist those selling immediately that had no intention of keeping. Frustrating for those waiting who dream of a grail watch.
5740G is not a VIP only watch, I know few ADs and they all get at least 1 piece per year with Salon getting more than that. It is a magnificent watch but not a £ 200K watch.
Old 9 June 2019, 08:29 PM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
5740G is not a VIP only watch, I know few ADs and they all get at least 1 piece per year with Salon getting more than that. It is a magnificent watch but not a £ 200K watch.
Wasn't really a 90K watch to me when I was offered a high spot on the list at Pragnell's after it just came out, but the mania has gone into overdrive in the last year.