The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 October 2010, 05:45 AM   #1
myh

Report stolen Rolex in RSC

I am curious. When you report your stolen rolex to RSC. Do they place that stolen SN to all their international branches or just based on the country wher your watch got stolen?
myh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 05:46 AM   #2
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

My guess is worldwide.. I have heard of recovered watches in other places of the world that were stolen in a different country...
Old 21 October 2010, 05:48 AM   #3
thesmallwave

Watch: Sub C Black
You need to contact your AD asap if your watch gets lost/stolen and they get in touch with Rolex.Is all in their data base,so anytime somebody try to sell that watch they will know if anybody check the serial number..Better wear it with you allways.The safest place is on your wrist:):)
thesmallwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 05:59 AM   #4
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmallwave View Post
....The safest place is on your wrist:):)
depends where you are in the world..
Old 21 October 2010, 06:05 AM   #5
thesmallwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefreak View Post
depends where you are in the world..
I am in South London but i keep my wrist allways in my pocket
Old 21 October 2010, 06:25 AM   #6
jeremyam

Watch: 16610 V
i've heard rumblings before of this. i don't think rolex wants to play police, legal counsel or judge. so, from a business perspective, i ask, what the purpose of reporting stolen watches if you aren't ready to enforce this.
jeremyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 06:42 AM   #7
AA717driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSub 14060 "K"
Got mine stolen off my wrist.

AD gave me a big "Ho Hum" and offered to sell me a replacement. Um, no thanks...

It's been a few years but I guess I could report it stolen and maybe if it shows up at a RSC...

I'm probably better off checking all the pawn shops in Madrid.

TC
AA717driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 06:49 AM   #8
thesmallwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA717driver View Post
Got mine stolen off my wrist.

AD gave me a big "Ho Hum" and offered to sell me a replacement. Um, no thanks...

It's been a few years but I guess I could report it stolen and maybe if it shows up at a RSC...
How did they managed to stole
I'm probably better off checking all the pawn shops in Madrid.

TC
How did they managed to stole your watch off your wrist?Were you drunk?Sorry but we better learn from your mistake so won't happen to us.
Old 21 October 2010, 06:57 AM   #9
AA717driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How did they managed to stole your watch off your wrist?Were you drunk?Sorry but we better learn from your mistake so won't happen to us.
Not drunk. Walking out front of the Park Hyatt in Madrid in 2005, two men in green military/police uniforms pulled up in a plain black Audi and flashed ID's (white card, no picture red diagonal stripe) and said they were searching for drugs. They didn't get out of the car but my coworker said they had guns in holsters.

They looked in my wallet and checked my passport then asked me to take my watch off and show them the back. I should have kept my distance but they grabbed it and drove off.

Believe me, I've wargamed this a thousand times since and know how I screwed up and how I would do it differently.

The Madrid police were very understanding but said it was impossible that they were military or police. Yeah, whatever...

Anyway, I won't make those mistakes again.

TC

P.S.--I really am over it. REALLY!
Old 21 October 2010, 07:18 AM   #10
thesmallwave

Quote:
Not drunk. Walking out front of the Park Hyatt in Madrid in 2005, two men in green military/police uniforms pulled up in a plain black Audi and flashed ID's (white card, no picture red diagonal stripe) and said they were searching for drugs. They didn't get out of the car but my coworker said they had guns in holsters.

They looked in my wallet and checked my passport then asked me to take my watch off and show them the back. I should have kept my distance but they grabbed it and drove off.

Believe me, I've wargamed this a thousand times since and know how I screwed up and how I would do it differently.

The Madrid police were very understanding but said it was impossible that they were military or police. Yeah, whatever...

TC

Have you not seen their faces?Didn't police do anything to help you get your watch back?I am really sorry to hear this happen to you my friend.
Old 21 October 2010, 07:33 AM   #11
kenco
"TRF" Member

Reported my Rolex lost/stolen this year. On the phone with the lady and after giving all the details I indeed asked the same question in regards to whether the list is effective internationally. The lady said if the report comes with a police report number (which mine did) then the info is passed onto Rolex HQ in Switzerland.

Though I cant see any reason for her to lie or make this up, and being skeptical person I am, I can't really see this being so. Even though it may be sent to HQ, I still struggle to see how effective it might be.

I can't see there being a sophisticated computer system that links all the different RSCs together that alerts them when a Rolex serial is on the Lost and stolen list.
kenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 07:40 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Rolex keeps a database of all serial numbers..

That is how the initial build and service history of your watch is tracked. Every time you send your watch in for service, it gets any new parts or changes notated...

If your watch has been stolen, and it has been properly reported (police reports, etc... you can't just call and say so), then if the watch ever comes in for service, it is held and the reporting authority for the theft is notified...
Old 21 October 2010, 09:09 AM   #13
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
I reported a SS OysterQuartz with white roman numerals dial after they stole it from me in Mexico City. I call the RSC every once in a while as I don't live there anymore and unfortunately it still have not made it back. I am waiting! Who knows, it might happen one day.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 09:48 AM   #14
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
I wonder if there are any stories out there of watches coming in years after reported.... Should be interesting if anyone has any...
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 09:50 AM   #15
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:

TC

Not to be a smart ___, but it sounds like it wasn't taken from your wrist... You had it in your hand when grabbed?
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 09:54 AM   #16
Michael M.
Banned

If your rolex gets stolen notify Rolex or your ad of the theft and give them the serial #'s of the watch. Also try posting a report on http://qualitytyme.net/pages/stolen.html
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 10:12 AM   #17
JUSTROLEXES
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATE-JUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Yacht-Master
Guys we are in 2010
All what it takes is one database to be linked worldwide
So to answer your question, Yes the serial will be reported worldwide.
Old 21 October 2010, 11:14 AM   #18
FancyWatch

I don't mean to change the topic or hijack the thread, but it is related.
I have noticed there are watches in the For Sale section being sold with no papers. What kind of advise would you give to the potential buyers?
Will sellers willing to give to give out serial number to verify with RSC and will RSC willing to give out that information?
Some of the concerns are:
1. Whether the watch is stolen.
2. Authenticity of the watch.
3. Will insurance covers watches without papers.

Thanks
FancyWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 11:24 AM   #19
JUSTROLEXES
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATE-JUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Yacht-Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyWatch View Post
I don't mean to change the topic or hijack the thread, but it is related.
I have noticed there are watches in the For Sale section being sold with no papers. What kind of advise would you give to the potential buyers?
Will sellers willing to give to give out serial number to verify with RSC and will RSC willing to give out that information?
Some of the concerns are:
1. Whether the watch is stolen.
2. Authenticity of the watch.
3. Will insurance covers watches without papers.

Thanks
Rolex will not give you any info on the watch..., there are few sites that you have to pay membership and you can run the serial for counter and stolen properties..
But here is what you can do.
1- When buying with no paper try to buy the seller and not the watch, if ever there is a problem that way you have a place to go back to.
2- If you don't know much about watches, try to deal locally and verify with a watchmaker the watch before you pay for it or if buying on the net make sure you're buying from a solid seller...We have tons of great sellers here.
3- Yes the insurance will cover the watch as long as you have an appraisal done on it by a jeweler, So after you buy the watch take it to a Jewelry store and have them appraise it, It is about $75 for the appraisal and then add it to your policy.
Old 21 October 2010, 11:43 AM   #20
FancyWatch

Thank you Tony.
FancyWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 12:12 PM   #21
AA717driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuloa View Post
Not to be a smart ___, but it sounds like it wasn't taken from your wrist... You had it in your hand when grabbed?
True. But it's just as gone...

TC
Old 21 October 2010, 12:14 PM   #22
AA717driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have you not seen their faces?Didn't police do anything to help you get your watch back?I am really sorry to hear this happen to you my friend.
tsw--No. Nothing. Street theft in Madrid is so rampant that I didn't really expect much.

I do still have the police report and I think I'll send it to Rolex just in case.

TC
Old 21 October 2010, 01:51 PM   #23
redwolfoz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MilgaussGV+PAM176
I actually tried to get an answer out of my local RSC on this and really didn't get a solid response.

I was assured that if my watch was stolen and found by the local cops, there was a good chance of the police getting it back to me via the database. What they wouldn't confirm was if my watch got found by the cops in Hong Kong, the same would apply.

So I still have no idea if the database is local or country based.
redwolfoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 04:39 PM   #24
dragonrolex
"TRF" Member

I am sure there are some lawyers in this forum. I need to dig out my rusty business law that I learned in university.

Rolex can't do much at least in US other than refuse to service a reported stolen watch. If the person who brings the stolen watch in for service, that ownership of the watch still belongs to that person if the person purchased the watch in "good faith" at fair market value. In other words, if the person purchased the watch for $500 on a real thing in the back of a minivan, then we are pretty certain that the buyer knows that this is a stolen watch because the non stolen watch couldn't be priced at that level. Therefore the buyer really needs to keep all the documents whether new or preowned even after the warranty period. In rare event that the AD where you purchased your watch had a breakin, the AD accidently reports your watch as one of the stolen items. Obviously you wouldn't know about it until you bring it for service. Hence, please keep all the documents.
dragonrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2010, 04:31 AM   #25
myh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M. View Post
If your rolex gets stolen notify Rolex or your ad of the theft and give them the serial #'s of the watch. Also try posting a report on http://qualitytyme.net/pages/stolen.html
I am wonder how secure the website you mentioned and the one like this http://www.stolenjewelry.org/
Who organize it and if they really working with the Law Enforcement or the other side.
Because they always ask for a detail of the serial number and base on the RSC person I talk with on the phone, I shouldn't give my SN unless they are LE.
Old 30 October 2010, 04:37 AM   #26
myh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonrolex View Post
I am sure there are some lawyers in this forum. I need to dig out my rusty business law that I learned in university.

Rolex can't do much at least in US other than refuse to service a reported stolen watch. If the person who brings the stolen watch in for service, that ownership of the watch still belongs to that person if the person purchased the watch in "good faith" at fair market value. In other words, if the person purchased the watch for $500 on a real thing in the back of a minivan, then we are pretty certain that the buyer knows that this is a stolen watch because the non stolen watch couldn't be priced at that level. Therefore the buyer really needs to keep all the documents whether new or preowned even after the warranty period. In rare event that the AD where you purchased your watch had a breakin, the AD accidently reports your watch as one of the stolen items. Obviously you wouldn't know about it until you bring it for service. Hence, please keep all the documents.
From my understanding when I spoke with a local RSC personal in US. They not only refuse to service the watch but hold it in their service center and notifies the LE.
Old 30 October 2010, 08:24 AM   #27
mopsey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp2,BlkBy,SD
Definately worldwide.
Old 31 October 2010, 01:03 PM   #28
berdsc

Watch: Tag Heuer Carrera
What if bought from previous owner and they report lost after a while?
Why do not expose a serial no to others?
What document/procedure that would secure me if i buy a ROLEX from inividual owner (which do not have any receipt, while the watch is still under the previous owner detail)?

Could someone help?
berdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2014, 01:12 AM   #29
zentress
"TRF" Member

Found a Rolex by park in Jefferson city no
zentress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2014, 01:41 AM   #30
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonrolex View Post

It doesn't matter if you buy in good faith or not. You are still receiving and in possession of stolen property. Legally, you can go after the person(s) who sold you the watch if you can find them AND prove they sold the watch. Otherwise, you just lost your money and the watch.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote