The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 October 2023, 12:25 PM   #1
nafis e
"TRF" Member

Robbed for my Day-Date 228238

Hey guys,

Never thought this would happen to me. I was robbed at gunpoint for my Day-Date (228238 Silver romans) at a nightclub that I go to practically every weekend (West Hollywood area on Sunset in LA). I was only inside of the nightclub for about 5 minutes- I stepped outside to meet my best friends that were smoking a joint on the sidewalk and instantly these two masked low lives turned the corner and got me. They both put guns on my stomach and I didn't fight I just yelled "take it" and was trying to help them pull the clasp. It was a clear and obvious set-up and I'm sure someone had been watching me for some time, because the moment I stepped foot out of the club they came out of their car with masks on (what I saw from a different CCTV clip).

Does anyone have any success stories of getting their watch back? My friend's dad is the GM of the Rolex in Chicago and he sent me a stolen report form and I was able to send it to Rolex so fingers crossed if it ever pops up I'll get it back! I also registered the watch on thewatchregister. A police report was filed on the spot, as well.

I've been scouring craigslist/ebay/chrono occasionally to see if I ever see my model pop up - is this a pointless search in your opinion? I was wondering if any of you have any recommendations in terms of increasing the odds of finding it.

Be careful out there guys!

I linked a post to the CCTV footage of the robbery as well as a photo of my watch but I don't have enough posts to add the links. I will update once I do.

Serial number H1360577
nafis e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 01:50 PM   #2
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

that really sucks. Sorry to hear this.scumbags
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 02:02 PM   #3
steveclr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
From your best friends smoking a joint to 'meeting low lives' and a post count of 1, I truly hope that you're looking for support and not just some bored clown. Any serial number beginning with an H13 etc will get my full attention for a few weeks at least. ��
steveclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 02:20 PM   #4
saltyandwet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafis e View Post
Hey guys,

Never thought this would happen to me. I was robbed at gunpoint for my Day-Date (228238 Silver romans) at a nightclub that I go to practically every weekend (West Hollywood area on Sunset in LA). I was only inside of the nightclub for about 5 minutes- I stepped outside to meet my best friends that were smoking a joint on the sidewalk and instantly these two masked low lives turned the corner and got me. They both put guns on my stomach and I didn't fight I just yelled "take it" and was trying to help them pull the clasp. It was a clear and obvious set-up and I'm sure someone had been watching me for some time, because the moment I stepped foot out of the club they came out of their car with masks on (what I saw from a different CCTV clip).

Does anyone have any success stories of getting their watch back? My friend's dad is the GM of the Rolex in Chicago and he sent me a stolen report form and I was able to send it to Rolex so fingers crossed if it ever pops up I'll get it back! I also registered the watch on thewatchregister. A police report was filed on the spot, as well.

I've been scouring craigslist/ebay/chrono occasionally to see if I ever see my model pop up - is this a pointless search in your opinion? I was wondering if any of you have any recommendations in terms of increasing the odds of finding it.

Be careful out there guys!

I linked a post to the CCTV footage of the robbery as well as a photo of my watch but I don't have enough posts to add the links. I will update once I do.

Serial number H1360577
They are not selling your watch thru proper legit channels. Think about it. Why would they sell it to a reseller or whatever, knowing that they can track the serial #? They are either keeping it, or selling it underground or some back alley. You are not seeing your watch ever again, I'm afraid.
saltyandwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 02:24 PM   #5
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Sorry to read of you getting turned over that clearly sucks
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 02:29 PM   #6
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclr View Post
From your best friends smoking a joint to 'meeting low lives' and a post count of 1, I truly hope that you're looking for support and not just some bored clown. Any serial number beginning with an H13 etc will get my full attention for a few weeks at least. ��

Strange reply

Sorry to hear OP. You did the right thing though, a watch is not worth losing your life over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 03:05 PM   #7
nafis e
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep, just looking for support and advice :) I purchased it in July of 2020 to mark an achievement in my career from my authorized dealer, Ben Bridge. Right around the time the whole world went to crap due to Covid.

It's a really popular night club, I wasn't in an area where there are a lot of "low lives", it was a directed hit directed toward me. Yes, my best friends smoke weed recreationally; I don't partake but that's beside the point.
Old 19 October 2023, 03:06 PM   #8
nafis e
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyandwet View Post
They are not selling your watch thru proper legit channels. Think about it. Why would they sell it to a reseller or whatever, knowing that they can track the serial #? They are either keeping it, or selling it underground or some back alley. You are not seeing your watch ever again, I'm afraid.
I thought there might be a chance that they sold it to a shady dealer/pawn shop and that it'll trade hands a few times before someone unknowingly purchases a stolen watch. Happens all the time - I'm not holding my breath but hopeful that one day it might turn up!
Old 19 October 2023, 03:07 PM   #9
nafis e
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Once I get to 10 posts I'll post a link to the CCTV footage as well as some photos of the watch!
Old 19 October 2023, 03:07 PM   #10
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Sorry, OP. Seasoned criminals will funnel the watch through their less obvious channels. The chance of getting your watch back right away is slim, unless they make a mistake or the police catch the bad guys.

That said, there is hope. Many stolen watches end up getting serviced through any worldwide RSC at some point in their lives. So if you report the watch as stolen and retain proof of original ownership, fingers crossed the watch should end up back in your possession at it’s first RSC service. I’ve read multiple stories like this, so just be patient.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 03:08 PM   #11
nafis e
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Strange reply

Sorry to hear OP. You did the right thing though, a watch is not worth losing your life over.

Precisely... thanks. All I could think about after was getting home to my dog and my family. A very scary and surreal experience and just glad I walked out of it physically unharmed.
Old 19 October 2023, 03:09 PM   #12
nafis e
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
Sorry, OP. Seasoned criminals will funnel the watch through their less obvious channels. The chance of getting your watch back right away is slim, unless they make a mistake or the police catch the bad guys.

That said, there is hope. Many stolen watches end up getting serviced through any worldwide RSC at some point in their lives. So if you report the watch as stolen and retain proof of original ownership, fingers crossed the watch should end up back in your possession at it’s first RSC service. I’ve read multiple stories like this, so just be patient.
I have a copy of the police report, video evidence of the robbery, original receipt, box/papers, the works. So if I ever get the call I'll be ready!
Old 19 October 2023, 03:28 PM   #13
Torshalla
"TRF" Member

Wow sorry to read… that must have been a scarry experience.
Glad you are ok.
Will your insurance cover?
And hooe these scumbags get caught eventually… at leadt the US has real punishnents for criminals…
Torshalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 03:30 PM   #14
nafis e
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshalla View Post
Glad you are ok.
And hooe these scumbags get caught eventually… at leadt the US has real punishnents for criminals…
Unfortunately there are little to no consequences for these criminals in California!
Old 19 October 2023, 03:31 PM   #15
nafis e
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshalla View Post
Glad you are ok.
Unfortunately the watch wasn't insured - my logic was that I take such good care of my possessions that it'll never break or get lost. I guess I was living in a fairytale land not thinking that I could get robbed. Tough $40,000 lesson learned.
Old 19 October 2023, 04:04 PM   #16
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Quote:
Unfortunately the watch wasn't insured - my logic was that I take such good care of my possessions that it'll never break or get lost. I guess I was living in a fairytale land not thinking that I could get robbed. Tough $40,000 lesson learned.
Don’t beat yourself up unfortunately these things do happen it’s just you never think it’s going to happen to you. Hopefully you get it back eventually and they catch the scum that did it
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 04:29 PM   #17
nafis e
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
Don’t beat yourself up unfortunately these things do happen it’s just you never think it’s going to happen to you. Hopefully you get it back eventually and they catch the scum that did it
Thanks for the kind words, friend.
Old 19 October 2023, 04:51 PM   #18
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Please share those cctv links when you can. Looks like you’re one post away…

Old 19 October 2023, 05:01 PM   #19
Halla
Banned

Watch: EXP II, HULK
This really sucks. I hope the get them soon
Halla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 05:08 PM   #20
nafis e
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
please share those cctv links when you can. Looks like you’re one post away…

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
incoming!!
Old 19 October 2023, 05:10 PM   #21
nafis e
"TRF" Member

Link to the video: https://imgur.com/a/HfyZRM2

And my baby that was taken from me too soon: https://imgur.com/a/kngKKVA
Old 19 October 2023, 05:17 PM   #22
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Robbed for my Day-Date 228238

Brutal. Thanks for sharing. And again, glad you’re ok.

I live in LA too. WeHo is getting much more of these crimes too, thanks to their soft on crime city council.

Old 19 October 2023, 05:28 PM   #23
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

So terrible this happened. Sorry man.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 05:40 PM   #24
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
So Very sorry this happened as a terrible life threatening exoerience. I’m so afraid you will not get it back, it coukd be sent out of country ( organized crime)

I wear my watches to work etc daily. I mostly only wear long sleeves and try to cover when in/out of places.

I don’t go to “clubs”, if I did, i wouldn’t bring a nice watch.

I live in big city and go uber everywhere. I cover watches/any jewlery when going in our of any place and in uber. I know, as have to admit dress nicely, that that by itself can call attention though.

Granted they can see you inside restaurants, stores/ mall, etc and target you.

Sometimes, I even paranoid afraid even neighbors visitors/ “young people” visiting my building or building staff might have the wrong friend, will target me so try to cover the watch inside public areas. You just never know who is part of a mafia.

We all have to be so careful these days.

one of my ADs is at a corner, prominent local large jewelry/watch store with boutique for Rolex separate entry entrance. I prefer to leave thru main jewlery store entrance, than target rolex entrance.

I hope you can get over it with time and you have the opportunity to get it or a new one.
A Day Date or any high priced item is an accomplishment regardless your financial means, We earned that money to buy stuff or its a meaningful gift.

What times we live in!!, wars and its consequences, then our own local risky life anywhere.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 05:49 PM   #25
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear unfortunately this is a very common occurrence in LA these days thankfully you're safe that's the most important part!
BriansRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 06:19 PM   #26
rgwarden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Here in the UK even a watch that isn’t specifically outlined on an Insurance policy will be covered to a certain amount under house contents. It won’t get near your watch’s value but a few thousand (i think it’s 5K here) so better than nothing. I’m sorry this happened to you.
rgwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 07:12 PM   #27
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Has it been your practice to wear a very expensive watch with a short sleeve shirt to a night club? If you are a regular, I'd say that one of the employees set you up. Or another regular that has seen you. You can kiss your watch goodby. Sorry
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 07:13 PM   #28
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv y96xxxx
I think one of your friends had a hand tipping off the perps.
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 07:19 PM   #29
Watch-Geek
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyandwet View Post
This ^^^^
My friend "knows a guy" that sells wacthes stolen in Italy that are then brought to my country and sold by "knowing a guy who knows a guy" .

They are never put put for sale on anything public

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk
Watch-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 07:19 PM   #30
Kostas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
Hope you get it back, it sucks that you can’t enjoy your Rolex in public’s these days!