The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 27 November 2019, 03:57 PM   #31
discopapa
"TRF" Member

I am thinking of having my 15300 late H-series serviced. Thank you for heads up regarding the date wheel. I also prefer mine in off-white. Seriously consider a dial swap though.
discopapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 02:40 AM   #32
lucreative
"TRF" Member

I have a "vintage" chronograph AP Huitieme 18k and had the movement retrofitted from the AP 2126/2840 to the AP 2326/2840 movement. AP stated they didn't have parts to service/repair the stopped movement. I had a GOLD colored date wheel with thick font that matched the dial perfectly. This thread made me go look back at my timepiece which I just got back from AP. YOU'RE RIGHT! The date wheel was changed to a white date wheel with thinner font. I want to be pissed that they didn't notify me, but I am assuming it's the same issue with changing the movement.

However, YMMV, I had some other issues with my AP service with APNA in Clearwater (i.e. sending the wrong extract of archives info, misstating how long parts would take to arrive from Le Brassus, etc.). But they made up for these mistakes by "gifting" me an AP 18k Gold Buckle (+$550 worth of swag, including 2 leather travel cases). Though this is mainly because the buckle I ordered took over a month to ship to me even though I already paid for it. Doesn't hurt to inquire about other swag.
lucreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 05:03 PM   #33
Xeer
"TRF" Member

Good read. I'm not taking my 15300 to the AP service centre anytime soon then, prefer it in its original specs the way it has been serving me for years.
Xeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 10:50 PM   #34
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
What "upgrades" are performed on the 3120 anyway? Must be quite a significant upgrade considering the date wheel no longer fits on the "upgraded" caliber....
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 04:19 AM   #35
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeer View Post
Good read. I'm not taking my 15300 to the AP service centre anytime soon then, prefer it in its original specs the way it has been serving me for years.
So you will never have your watch serviced by AP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
What "upgrades" are performed on the 3120 anyway? Must be quite a significant upgrade considering the date wheel no longer fits on the "upgraded" caliber....
The list is quite long in fact. I couldn’t be happier that mine was done.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 01:41 PM   #36
Xeer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
So you will never have your watch serviced by AP.

The list is quite long in fact. I couldn’t be happier that mine was done.
The watch keeps good time. Don't see why I'll take it in to be honest.
Xeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 04:34 PM   #37
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202ST
Quote:
Your post made me curious about my own 15300st White dial.

The watch was serviced two years ago by AP. It was basically unworn but the movement rotor would not turn as it had been sitting for over a decade.

I had a movement only service with new gaskets, seals etc... The movement was the first version and AP performed a complete upgrade, replacing all the old parts with new versions.

They also replaced my date wheel, which I hadn’t realized until now was not the same. The font is different but as far as the shade of white it is hard to tell as I only have one pic of the original and it is not conclusive.

I am going to investigate my situation further but it is clearly standard practice in the basic service to have this done. I don’t feel compromised by it but perhaps now that you have raised the issue that might change.

Pic before service

Pic after service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting this dial is white white, not silver white like my 15500st. I thought the white/silver were one and the same but this picture implies there was a flat white compared to the silver white that is current.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rumnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 09:01 PM   #38
yoast
"TRF" Member

For the 15300, the blue and white are flat, the black is the same as the 15400/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumnyc View Post
Interesting this dial is white white, not silver white like my 15500st. I thought the white/silver were one and the same but this picture implies there was a flat white compared to the silver white that is current.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 1 May 2020, 03:47 AM   #39
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Your welcome but thanks to the OP for raising the matter.

I was extremely fortunate to get a pristine 15300st and never even wore it before sending it in for the service, so the original datewheel colour and font never became associated with the watch. To end up with the 3120 movement fully upgraded to the standard that AP initially wanted from it is a plus to me. I agree that having the confidence of the AP service and upgrade is more important than the slightly different visual. The watch’s overall identity, proportional look and striking appeal are what define it.

I don’t know if this is fair. The 3120 was a brand new movement when the 15300 was introduced. Once it was determined it could be improved after some years of experience AP did the right thing to do so.

It’s not like they are reworking a vintage movement because they don’t have original parts left. It is a modern movement that has been refined.

Ideally, AP could produce a datewheel to the same technical specs but with the colour and font of the original. Who knows, maybe they will in the future.

For collectibility, 15300s with the change mean AP service has been performed, an added value in my eyes.

100%

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 06:37 PM   #40
Skanse
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
For the 15300, the blue and white are flat, the black is the same as the 15400/500

My 15300 is sent in for service and polish. Do you have any idea how much a newer blue dial (sunburst) costs?
Old 13 June 2020, 07:06 PM   #41
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
100%

The AP service definitely adds value to the watch. Totally agreed with this approach.

Old 14 June 2020, 01:03 AM   #42
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanse View Post
My 15300 is sent in for service and polish. Do you have any idea how much a newer blue dial (sunburst) costs?
Doesn’t exist for the 15300
Old 14 June 2020, 04:20 AM   #43
Skanse
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
Doesn’t exist for the 15300

I saw a few online on chrono..
Does anyone have more info about these dials ?

Old 16 June 2020, 09:09 PM   #44
RoyalOac
"TRF" Member

They won't swap for blue. I asked already and got denied. They said "Boutique Only" (which wasn't the case back when 15300 were in production).
Rolex Submariner 126613 LB
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST
RoyalOac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 09:26 PM   #45
Crashblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalOac View Post
They won't swap for blue. I asked already and got denied. They said "Boutique Only" (which wasn't the case back when 15300 were in production).
They did until end of 2018, the 15300 blue was never a boutique exclusive, but nowadays they won’t do it anymore.

I had 2 15300 black dials swapped to blue ones one in 2012 and one in 2017.
Crashblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 04:57 PM   #46
Caramba
"TRF" Member

My 15300 F-series was serviced at AP by its previous owner in September 2016. I notice that the date wheel is the same as the original though, and I'm wondering if anyone knows when they started changing the date wheels as part of the service procedure and movement update?
Caramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 05:31 PM   #47
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba View Post
My 15300 F-series was serviced at AP by its previous owner in September 2016. I notice that the date wheel is the same as the original though, and I'm wondering if anyone knows when they started changing the date wheels as part of the service procedure and movement update?

Very unlikely that they did not change date wheel during the service. Do you happen to know if the watch was serviced before 2016? As I heard from most of 15300 owners had their date wheel upgraded by AP.

Old 7 July 2020, 10:52 AM   #48
Caramba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
Very unlikely that they did not change date wheel during the service. Do you happen to know if the watch was serviced before 2016? As I heard from most of 15300 owners had their date wheel upgraded by AP.

So here’s my watch, clearly with the old “original” date wheel. They told me at the AP dealer that they have records of it being serviced in 09/2016 so I have no reasons to doubt that, they wouldn’t tell me exactly what had been done though.

I don’t know what or if anything was done to the watch prior to 2016.

Old 7 July 2020, 11:40 AM   #49
Caramba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanse View Post
I saw a few online on chrono..
Does anyone have more info about these dials ?

I think that's still the original dial. Notice that a very strong light is being shone on it, which creates something that looks like the sunburst effect. Perhaps someone here with a blue dial 15300 can confirm or deny?
Old 7 July 2020, 12:05 PM   #50
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

There are some variations in the blue of the dial on different serials of the 15300. Mine is an F serial. That one above looks legit. Here are a couple of mine in various lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 12:18 PM   #51
mineral
"TRF" Member

15300st Back from APSC , datewheel swapped?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba View Post

So here’s my watch, clearly with the old “original” date wheel. They told me at the AP dealer that they have records of it being serviced in 09/2016 so I have no reasons to doubt that, they wouldn’t tell me exactly what had been done though.

I don’t know what or if anything was done to the watch prior to 2016.

Nice white dial .

I might be wrong, your date wheel look like upgraded font already. No offense as I noticed that the upgraded date wheel always has slimmer font.

(Edit: I did check and your is original bold font). I am surprised too why AP did not upgrade it). Hope you find out soon. Perhaps can contact AP again to ask).

In my opinion, the upgraded date wheel is plus and value added to the watch considered that It was manufacturer requirement to allow watch function properly.

Old 7 July 2020, 01:19 PM   #52
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
In my opinion, the upgraded date wheel is plus and value added to the watch considered that It was manufacturer requirement to allow watch function properly.

But that's not how it works. Unfortunately, so it would seem, APSC will replace it even if you tell them no. So even if one could argue the original would have better "value", it would only matter if you never planned to service it or have it serviced by someone other than APSC. I would much rather keep mine how it is but know it will have to go to APSC at some point.

Old 8 July 2020, 06:36 PM   #53
Caramba
"TRF" Member

I’ve just done a little research on this topic and thought I’d set the record straight and answer my own question.

This ad shows a factory serviced in January 2017, this watch clearly has the old date wheel. Factory service done (january 2017) posted 2017-03-06.jpg

Then this ad shows a watch that has been factory serviced in May 2017 with the new date wheel. Factory service done (may 2017) posted 2017-05-05.jpg

In conclusion, AP only started changing the date wheels some time between January and May 2017. Services done before that had maintained the old date wheels.
Old 8 July 2020, 06:54 PM   #54
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
Hope this doesn't mucky the waters on your theory but I had my 15703ST Diver serviced in May 2016 at the APSC UK and when that came back it had the new date wheel as they had updated the movement parts. If I'm not wrong the Diver and 15300 share the same 3120 movement.
Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
jay_kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 07:10 PM   #55
Caramba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_kay View Post
Hope this doesn't mucky the waters on your theory but I had my 15703ST Diver serviced in May 2016 at the APSC UK and when that came back it had the new date wheel as they had updated the movement parts.
That's interesting, and thanks for the input.

Could it be that the explanation that new date wheels are needed to fit the upgraded movement simply is not true? From a inventory cost perspective it would certainly make sense not to keep different spare parts for the same movement. So when they ran out of 15300 date wheels, they simply started putting in the 15400 ones - and that this point was reached at different times in the different service centers.
Old 8 July 2020, 09:21 PM   #56
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I'm a skeptical person, so I would tend to agree with your theory. Mine works just fine and for them to tell me it needs a new one to work correctly, certainly raises an eyebrow. Surely APSC would deny that.

Old 19 July 2020, 04:13 AM   #57
Skanse
"TRF" Member

Back from service and datewheel has been changed. I prefered the old one though
Old 19 July 2020, 08:08 AM   #58
tomminator855
Banned

I would not like that when they replace your watch’s part without asking you first !

tomminator855 is offline   Reply With Quote