The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 28 October 2019, 12:50 PM   #1
dimag333
"TRF" Member

NY Boutique Experiences

I’ll be in the market for an AP next year, want to drop in the NYC boutique. I’ll have my wife and 2 little girls with me. How’s the atmosphere there? My local AD I never have issues but that’s a different story entirely. I really just want to hold and feel a Royal oak in real life before I start making moves to get one

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 09:45 PM   #2
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
I’ll be in the market for an AP next year, want to drop in the NYC boutique. I’ll have my wife and 2 little girls with me. How’s the atmosphere there? My local AD I never have issues but that’s a different story entirely. I really just want to hold and feel a Royal oak in real life before I start making moves to get one

steve
It's an excellent boutique, the people there and atmosphere is great as long as you show genuine passion for timepieces. They have a tendency of encountering a lot of flippers and scammers, so they have their shields up for a bit. When you go there I encourage you to work with Selin, she'll take care of you.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 10:43 PM   #3
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
It's an excellent boutique, the people there and atmosphere is great as long as you show genuine passion for timepieces. They have a tendency of encountering a lot of flippers and scammers, so they have their shields up for a bit. When you go there I encourage you to work with Selin, she'll take care of you.
I’ll ask specifically for her, I hate dude sales guys anyways, always combative!

steve
Old 28 October 2019, 11:59 PM   #4
jkesquire
"TRF" Member

You will have a wonderful experience If you work with either Manuela or Selin. They are amazing people, knowledgeable, and always make you feel welcome. Enjoy!

-Jake
jkesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 12:04 AM   #5
dimag333
"TRF" Member

thanks y'all, haven't checked hours but hope to make it this weekend!

steve
Old 29 October 2019, 02:21 AM   #6
Mobert19
"TRF" Member

Meh. My experience was mixed. Rep failed to respond to my emails/texts numerous times. Ended up buying from a trusted seller here instead without sales tax and couple hundred bucks left than MSRP.
Mobert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 03:04 AM   #7
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Don't forget Material Good in SoHo. They're ADs for AP and RM and run the AP boutique in East Hampton. Yoni is great and I personally liked it a lot better than the boutique on 57th. I ended up buying my 26022/25960 from them earlier this year.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 03:35 AM   #8
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobert19 View Post
Meh. My experience was mixed. Rep failed to respond to my emails/texts numerous times. Ended up buying from a trusted seller here instead without sales tax and couple hundred bucks left than MSRP.
Same experience here. SA gave me his card. Emailed him a couple of questions and no response.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 04:05 AM   #9
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
Don't forget Material Good in SoHo. They're ADs for AP and RM and run the AP boutique in East Hampton. Yoni is great and I personally liked it a lot better than the boutique on 57th. I ended up buying my 26022/25960 from them earlier this year.
I saw them and was considering that instead of shlepping to 5th ave

steve
Old 29 October 2019, 05:46 AM   #10
chaucer
"TRF" Member

I also did not have a good experience. After they never responded to my website inquiries to schedule an appointment, I walked in and thought I had a good visit - my wife even commented on how they were so polite and offered great service. I expressed strong interest in a few offshores (nothing that’s too hot), but after leaving I haven’t received a single response or even acknowledgement of multiple communications. I would really love to buy their product, but they don’t seem interested in selling, at least not to me. At least this thread made me feel like I’m not alone. Maybe you’ll have better luck.
chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 12:57 PM   #11
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I normally don't pile onto these, but sadly I had a similar experience of being ignored and/or the SA not having any interest in building a relationship with me, despite qualifying myself as a die hard collector with a very large collection (i.e., I'm not a flipper).

This was many years ago, but the same folks still work there. :)

By contrast, other brands and other boutiques always seem to try to pursue me as a collector and try to convince me to start a relationship with them.

It's nice to feel wanted, especially when you're spending a LOT of money on these products that really don't do more than a $100 Casio can. :)
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 01:49 PM   #12
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I was able to snag a SS RO black dial with no prior history. Also they had all 3 SS RO models on display and you could try them on. In stark contrast to Patek and Rolex where I have yet to see any of the watches I am interested in in the flesh.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 04:20 PM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Maybe they aren’t without flaws but compared to the experience you’ll get at the Patek “boutique” around the block or say Rolex they are great.
Old 29 October 2019, 10:37 PM   #14
dimag333
"TRF" Member

I think I’m gonna it material good first and try to get my fill there, I don’t think I would buy from boutique just based on sales tax alone, I imagine nyc sales tax is above 10%

steve
Old 29 October 2019, 10:47 PM   #15
Mobert19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think I’m gonna it material good first and try to get my fill there, I don’t think I would buy from boutique just based on sales tax alone, I imagine nyc sales tax is above 10%

steve
Material good will charge sales tax as well.
Old 29 October 2019, 10:53 PM   #16
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

The one thing I will say is that there has been a bit of turnover with regard to individuals working there, so I'd be apprehensive to base decisions on historical context as opposed to recent experiences within the past three months or so. There are a lot of changes transpiring within the entire organization, and my contention is that it's all in a favorable direction.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 12:24 AM   #17
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Its fine, and they will have more than Material Good on display, but still probably not a lot. You cannot avoid tax so not sure I understand that comment.

Reality is most people's perceived maltreatment is directly related to their expectations going in. If you think you can walk in and get on a list for anything that is popular, they will bring you back to reality and it may come across as harsh or mean but it is what it is. The last thread on supposed mistreatment at the boutique was a confirmed troll.

Allocations happen at the beginning of the year so you will not get on a list for a 15202, 15500 (blue for sure maybe all of them now), 38mm chrono, etc. Your best bet would be a diver, 44mms, some random 42mms and maybe a ROC 26331. If you have higher aspirations I would not waste your time at this time of year.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 12:26 AM   #18
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Material good will charge sales tax as well.
I understand that, however I was thinking I would go grey after seeing one in the flesh, but it looks like same crap is going on with AP as rolex availability wise

steve
Old 30 October 2019, 12:43 AM   #19
Mobert19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I understand that, however I was thinking I would go grey after seeing one in the flesh, but it looks like same crap is going on with AP as rolex availability wise

steve
I went with a trusted grey here last week for my ROC 26331st Panda. Saved 300 bucks and no sales tax. Brand new. Love that watch.
Old 30 October 2019, 12:44 AM   #20
Mobert19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smd View Post
its fine, and they will have more than material good on display, but still probably not a lot. You cannot avoid tax so not sure i understand that comment.

Reality is most people's perceived maltreatment is directly related to their expectations going in. If you think you can walk in and get on a list for anything that is popular, they will bring you back to reality and it may come across as harsh or mean but it is what it is. The last thread on supposed mistreatment at the boutique was a confirmed troll.

Allocations happen at the beginning of the year so you will not get on a list for a 15202, 15500 (blue for sure maybe all of them now), 38mm chrono, etc. Your best bet would be a diver, 44mms, some random 42mms and maybe a roc 26331. If you have higher aspirations i would not waste your time at this time of year.

100%
Old 30 October 2019, 12:46 AM   #21
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I went with a trusted grey here last week for my ROC 26331st Panda. Saved 300 bucks and no sales tax. Brand new. Love that watch.
Not to be a tax scold, but you technically are required to file a use tax return and pay the tax to the State when you purchase out of state...
Old 30 October 2019, 12:50 AM   #22
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Not to be a tax scold, but you technically are required to file a use tax return and pay the tax to the State when you purchase out of state...
yeah I understand sales tax, I own a business and charge it, we have the same initials btw always throughs me off! I didnt realize nyc sales tax is only 4%? how is that possible!

steve
Old 30 October 2019, 12:54 AM   #23
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yeah I understand sales tax, I own a business and charge it, we have the same initials btw always throughs me off! I didnt realize nyc sales tax is only 4%? how is that possible!

steve
NYC is 4.5% I believe and NYS is 4% along with some random commuter surtax of .375 so I believe it is 8.875%. Now if they could source it in the Hamptons you could save a little.
Old 30 October 2019, 12:55 AM   #24
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
NYC is 4.5% I believe and NYS is 4% along with some random commuter surtax of .375 so I believe it is 8.875%. Now if they could source it in the Hamptons you could save a little.
thats nuts! To think how many Ny'ers come to NJ to show for cloths to avoid sales tax, I would have thought it was in the 10% range, in any case, if the watches are available for purchase its a moot point

steve
Old 30 October 2019, 01:11 AM   #25
Mick.h.lim
"TRF" Member

I visited Material Goods recently...cool store, but not as much on inventory (at least vs what I expected)...
Mick.h.lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 03:04 AM   #26
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Called material goods and spoke with Yani, super nice guy, might go there to try a couple 37 they have on, but basics it sounds like a SS mode is unobtainable, what a funny industry

steve
Old 30 October 2019, 03:11 AM   #27
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Too late!

Nobody does and highly unlikely it would ever become an issue. Whole reason this is even being talked about these days is because of Amazon and the laws which were applied later because of them. Nobody really cares about us plebs.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 03:11 AM   #28
Mick.h.lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Called material goods and spoke with Yani, super nice guy, might go there to try a couple 37 they have on, but basics it sounds like a SS mode is unobtainable, what a funny industry

steve
Yep - i recently ended up going with a grey for a 450...went to MG and AP boutique in NY...both said it was "unforseen" when they'd have one...

I'm not ultra-rich by any means, but my personality is if i really want something, I dont want to deal with the hassle...so I went ahead and never looked back.
Mick.h.lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 03:17 AM   #29
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick.h.lim View Post
Yep - i recently ended up going with a grey for a 450...went to MG and AP boutique in NY...both said it was "unforseen" when they'd have one...

I'm not ultra-rich by any means, but my personality is if i really want something, I dont want to deal with the hassle...so I went ahead and never looked back.
So lame! Guess I’ll go and check out the fit and finish and buy somewhere else

steve
Old 30 October 2019, 04:28 AM   #30
chaucer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Its fine, and they will have more than Material Good on display, but still probably not a lot. You cannot avoid tax so not sure I understand that comment.

Allocations happen at the beginning of the year so you will not get on a list for a 15202, 15500 (blue for sure maybe all of them now), 38mm chrono, etc. Your best bet would be a diver, 44mms, some random 42mms and maybe a ROC 26331. If you have higher aspirations I would not waste your time at this time of year.
My only expectation was the courtesy of a response to communications, which did not happen and has been disappointing.
chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote