The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 24 November 2019, 12:41 PM   #1
Jacobkg
"TRF" Member

A 15450 Story in 3 Acts

Act I - Venice (July 2018)
On a week long family trip to Venice my wife wanted to buy her mom the classic Chanel Flap bag. From what I can tell this is about as hard to find as an Explorer I. Plenty of people wait 6-9 months in the US to get one. We tried two stores and neither has it but the second says they are getting a shipment in 2 days which could have one. We came back that morning and indeed they had received exactly one! As we were buying it someone else came in asking about it so we just made it. Result!

Act II - Venice (July 2018)
I had been doing a lot of watch browsing but somehow I never noticed the AP Boutique until the morning of our last day. I got there right at opening and asked the salesman if they had a 15450 blue. He paused, gave me a long look, got a strained expression in his face and asked: “Are you a serious buyer?” I answered “yes” (which was a half truth, This was my first time seeing the watch in person). He says they just got one in and normally they would reserve for special clients with purchase history but he will sell it to me right now. After trying on a ruthenium disk (the blue is packed in a tube) I realize I don’t have my passport (for VAT) and can’t get it before we leave town. Reluctantly I leave the shop figuring my one shot at MSRP has just sailed away.

Act III - Beverly Hills (October 2018)
A few months later I decide I definitely am interested and decide to pop in to the Beverly Hills boutique to see just how bad the wait will be and maybe get on the list. When I arrive I browse around a bit and see what appears to be white, ruthenium, and blue dial 15450s in the display case. I ask a saleswoman and indeed they just got one in yesterday and it is for sale. I try on blue and white, call my wife to make sure she is okay with the $$$$ and buy the 15450 blue (with tax)

My takeaway is that hanging out on this forum had made me believe that it will never happen for us regular folk but these watches are out there and lighting can strike. I hope others will be as fortunate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jacobkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 01:05 PM   #2
mineral
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing. You are such lucky man and can’t go wrong with the 15450 if you have smaller wrist. It will look perfect.

Old 24 November 2019, 03:03 PM   #3
tcpx
"TRF" Member

I love hearing about these stories. Too bad about the opportunity at Venice but it all worked out in the end!
tcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2019, 01:17 AM   #4
teks066
"TRF" Member

i always think that those popular models are available at the BT/AD in some smaller town or less popular countries. Just see if u are lucky enough to find it.
teks066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2019, 04:43 PM   #5
Jacobkg
"TRF" Member

For sure. I asked about the 15400 (the 15500 hadn’t been released yet) and she said that was a year or two wait minimum.

Somewhat disappointed not to be offered any fancy schwag, though they did offer me this AP coloring book for my preschooler

Jacobkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2019, 02:02 AM   #6
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Aha, let's go to Patek salon together? LOL

such a lucky person, wear in good health
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2019, 04:02 PM   #7
lisalisa
"TRF" Member

Congrats!! I was told the blue 15450 was very difficult..I would for a chance to get a blue ss 15450.. very cool

lisalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2019, 05:47 PM   #8
Lo0o0o0n
"TRF" Member

ahhh these stories always give me hope... not sure if it's a good or bad thing as always...
Lo0o0o0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2019, 06:10 PM   #9
doctoryellow
"TRF" Member

This happened a year ago
doctoryellow is offline   Reply With Quote