The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 February 2023, 02:49 AM   #1
AXi0N
"TRF" Member

Daytona PM - everyday watch?

Hi guys,

I’m thinking to add Daytona WG PM to my collection. Could be PM Daytona everyday watch? Could be maybe the only watch in the collection?

I know that steel is harder than WG but I would like to hear opinions from someone who have WG PM Daytona.

Oh, and btw… I’m looking for 116509 with steel dial as meteorite is “impossible” to get :)

Thanks in advance.
AXi0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 03:15 AM   #2
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 118238
I wear PM daily and I dont see an issue at all unless maybe you have some kind of job that is rough on your watches.
Hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 03:22 AM   #3
David5807
"TRF" Member

This depends on your preference, but I would say no. PM watches are heavy. Personally, I don't like the feel of that heft on my wrist all the time. PM is more of a weekend thing for me rather than each day.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 03:26 AM   #4
karleone
"TRF" Member

I don’t own a PM watch but you should be aware that it’s much heavier than steel plus this one with the polished metal bezel is very prone to scratches. If you have these two things in mind and they don’t bother you I don’t see any issue wearing it daily!
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 03:27 AM   #5
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I could totally daily that watch.

As long as you’re not the kind of person fretting over every hairline scratch, you can daily it too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 03:29 AM   #6
AXi0N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtimes View Post
I wear PM daily and I dont see an issue at all unless maybe you have some kind of job that is rough on your watches.
Most of the time I’m in my office and I use computer and I write a lot. Scratches can be made when I move my hand across the table… but I don’t mind light scratches I’m just worried because steel is 70% harder than WG and I would like to know what that mean for daily PM watch.
AXi0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 03:42 AM   #7
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
I wear mine carefully. I like to choose a "watch for the week" and wear everywhere I go. Scratches will come. I don't notice the weight at all. Enjoy your new watch.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 03:45 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
This depends on your preference, but I would say no. PM watches are heavy. Personally, I don't like the feel of that heft on my wrist all the time. PM is more of a weekend thing for me rather than each day.
I’m in the same boat David

Obviously it’s personal preference, but unless you’ve owned a heavy watch before and you didn’t mind the heft, I would say that it’s not for everyone.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 05:13 AM   #9
clubrcr
Banned

I had a WG Daytona that I wore daily. I like the weight, as now I have an OF and miss it. But, if you are the kind of person who will get upset about scratches, don't wear it daily. I am very easy on my watches, but WG will get scratches no matter when or how you wear it.
clubrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 05:23 AM   #10
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Daytona PM - everyday watch?

I see a few members commenting the weight of full PM can be an issue. While I respect their experience, I will weigh-in (pun intended) and say I do not find the weight an issue at all. In my opinion, you get used to the weight very quickly and don’t even notice it.

Not sure which camp the OP will fall in, but not everyone finds the weight an issue.

For me, the concerns with wearing full PM as a daily is the attention it can get (moot point if wearing WG) and the fact that it does seem to get hairlines/scratches at a slightly faster rate than SS. Especially a gold Daytona bezel.

Lastly, OP, while I love that 509, I do love the blue dial version more. Make sure to try both on before making a choice if you are interested in both.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 05:26 AM   #11
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Yes, why not.

Anything precious metal feels very special. I've often thought about what I would wear daily if I sold everything. I'd have to have a simple time only dress watch and a grand complication but I'd wear a "sports" watch as a daily.

As good as the steel white dial Daytona is, I'd pick pm and it would have to be white metal. As much as I appreciate the heritage of Rolex and respect and own a few subs and GMT's, my tastes are firmly in the sports chronograph arena and always has been.

Either this
And I put this first, despite not being full pm, just because its so incredibly versatile, good looking (to me) and comfortable. Also as time has progressed, collecting, I've realised I prefer watches on straps slightly more than bracelets.

or

So your choice is smack bang in the middle of these.

Yea its heavy but its a non issue and is actually a positive as it feels very special. People have worn DD's their entire lives and enjoyed them. Even badly scratches ones still look fantastic. I happen to think that whatever is going to scratch PM will most likely leave a mark on SS too.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 05:27 AM   #12
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Weight is never an issue for me with any full PM watch. You may, at first, notice the added weight, but you adjust to it in no time and then prefer PM to SS which will feel too light and flimsy. My experience.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 05:29 AM   #13
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnpina View Post
I wear mine carefully. I like to choose a "watch for the week" and wear everywhere I go. Scratches will come. I don't notice the weight at all. Enjoy your new watch.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Time to remove those remaining stickers.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 05:36 AM   #14
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Weight is never an issue for me with any full PM watch. You may, at first, notice the added weight, but you adjust to it in no time and then prefer PM to SS which will feel too light and flimsy. My experience.
I found the Pt Daytona a bit annoying with time. It took work for me to overlook it's heft. I believe a PM on OF won't have that as an issue.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 07:15 AM   #15
j10s
"TRF" Member

I don’t have a full PM piece, but in the opposite direction, I miss the weight of a SS mechanical watch when I put on a lighter piece (titanium or g-shock).
j10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 07:17 AM   #16
SPACE PEPSI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXi0N View Post
Hi guys,

I’m thinking to add Daytona WG PM to my collection. Could be PM Daytona everyday watch? Could be maybe the only watch in the collection?

I know that steel is harder than WG but I would like to hear opinions from someone who have WG PM Daytona.

Oh, and btw… I’m looking for 116509 with steel dial as meteorite is “impossible” to get :)

Thanks in advance.
I like everything but the non-ceramic bezel on the PM models of the Daytona. If that doesn't bother you, enjoy it daily. It's just to watch that is made of precious metal. How you use it is completely up to you.
SPACE PEPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 07:20 AM   #17
MinMay
Banned

Can precious metal be polish to remove scratches?
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 07:20 AM   #18
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Personally the scratches kind of bother me. It can be a daily but know that it will accumulate scruff on the bezel and PCLs quickly.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 07:53 AM   #19
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXi0N View Post
Most of the time I’m in my office and I use computer and I write a lot. Scratches can be made when I move my hand across the table… but I don’t mind light scratches I’m just worried because steel is 70% harder than WG and I would like to know what that mean for daily PM watch.
You only live once, wear, enjoy and have it polished ever 5-10 years! Its all about enjoyment! On the technical side, I dont see a discernable difference in scratches PM vs SS
Old 27 February 2023, 07:55 AM   #20
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
X2
Old 27 February 2023, 08:40 AM   #21
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Totally an everyday watch. All you gotta do is wear it everyday.

You will get used to the weight, but may not really “enjoy” it. Only one way to find out.

Good luck!
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 10:09 AM   #22
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
Can precious metal be polish to remove scratches?
Yes, but then you're literally removing precious metal.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 10:49 AM   #23
sj24k
"TRF" Member

Personally, I like having a mix of PM and SS in the collection, which mitigates the need or desire to have a “daily.”

As far as fine timepieces go, I could see having a WG Rolex as a “one and only.” But I’d definitely want some inexpensive “beaters” on hand to give me options for certain situations and activities.

sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 12:01 PM   #24
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Yes especially in white gold.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 12:20 PM   #25
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Every rolex is meant to be an everyday watch
Old 27 February 2023, 12:26 PM   #26
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Such a beautiful and robust watch, I couldn't give you a reason not to wear it every day.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 12:28 PM   #27
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
IMHO, if you are going to spend a large amount of money on a watch, then you should enjoy it as much as possible. Will it get dinged and scratched? Of course, but look at the alternative: Buy a nice watch (car, ring, piece of clothing) and put it away in a safe place, never wearing it. Will it be nice and shiny and new-looking? Yes, but how much will you enjoy it? IMHO, not enough to justify the cost.

Wear it in good health!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 12:45 PM   #28
7sins
"TRF" Member

WG you can easily use as a daily, it isn't too heavy as a former poster eluded too.

IMO the platinum is too heavy for a one and only watch, you do get use to it but still quite noticeably heavy.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 12:50 PM   #29
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
Yes, but then you're literally removing precious metal.

Thanks
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 01:33 PM   #30
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

If you have it as your one and only and for some reason (being a forum member is already a clue) find you don't want to daily it - you will be fine. You can buy a something that is a steel sports model down the line. Go for it.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote