The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 January 2015, 04:56 AM   #1
beachbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Incoming
5167a Underwhelming?

From Internet pics and posts I have always been a big fan of the aquanaut. I have considered trading my DD 118208 for a 5167a, but when I am about sold on the idea I read a lot of posts here that are very negative about the 5167a. I know this is a PP forum but I just wanted to get some thoughts about the watch and if you would trade a DD for a 5167a.
beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 05:13 AM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The DD and the 5167A are two totally different watches catering to different wearers. In my opinion, people wear the DD for the "bling" especially the YG one.

However one wears the Aquanaut to be inconspicuous, quite the opposite of wearing a YG DD. People see an Aquanaut and think you are wearing a $50 watch, especially with the rubber bracelet. The watch is super light and comfortable, in contrast to the DD.

If you appreciate fine watch workmanship and do not feel a need to display your "status", you wear an Aquanaut yo be totally under the radar. If you want to show some " bling", then you wear your DD.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 05:50 AM   #3
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I don't find the 5167 underwhelming. I like everything about it except the thickness. For me, I would like this piece to be a little thicker. For this reason, I like the 5164 much better.

I would take a 5167 over a DD.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 07:31 AM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
The DD and the 5167A are two totally different watches catering to different wearers. In my opinion, people wear the DD for the "bling" especially the YG one.

However one wears the Aquanaut to be inconspicuous, quite the opposite of wearing a YG DD. People see an Aquanaut and think you are wearing a $50 watch, especially with the rubber bracelet. The watch is super light and comfortable, in contrast to the DD.

If you appreciate fine watch workmanship and do not feel a need to display your "status", you wear an Aquanaut yo be totally under the radar. If you want to show some " bling", then you wear your DD.
Precisely.

Some will feel the DD is over the top, others feel the 5167 is underwhelming...

I think they are both awesome but much prefer my 5167 as I can enjoy it without others knowing I'm wearing 20k.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 08:37 AM   #5
Melvin_arnold
"TRF" Member

Watch: TV
I personally love the profile on the 5167, it site nice and snug on the wrist. Comfort is second to non and when you have a Patek on the wrist I don't think many people will actually know what the hell it is unless they know watches which in my opinion is quite cool. On the other hand, every tom Dick and Harry knows Rolex and after a while it gets a little annoying when the first thing people say to you is "Ohh is that a rolex"

I would go 5167 over the DD but at the end of the day just do whatever makes you happy.
Melvin_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 09:27 AM   #6
4jchun
"TRF" Member

So far all the responses hit the nail on the head.
I gave my two boys 5164's this holiday for that precise reason.
To be under the radar.
Gave them each a Rolex (WG Daytona & DeepSea) last year and they both see the reasoning for wearing Rolex vs Patek.
I agree with Vipes that the 5164 is a little thicker in addition to it having the dual time zone, which suits one of my son's traveling quite a bit. Plus I doubt anyone will notice it for what it is.
The Patek (5164 or even 5167) they say is extremely comfortable. Compared to the Rolex's, it's like you haven't anything on you wrist.
However, as is always the case, you have to be the one that determines all that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-IMG_1423.jpg (89.3 KB, 1283 views)
File Type: jpg 1-IMG_1426.jpg (79.3 KB, 1266 views)
4jchun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 10:33 AM   #7
Poly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4jchun View Post
To be under the radar.
Gave them each a Rolex (WG Daytona & DeepSea) last year and they both see the reasoning for wearing Rolex vs Patek.
I agree with Vipes that the 5164 is a little thicker in addition to it having the dual time zone, which suits one of my son's traveling quite a bit. Plus I doubt anyone will notice it for what it is.
The Patek (5164 or even 5167) they say is extremely comfortable. Compared to the Rolex's, it's like you haven't anything on you wrist.
However, as is always the case, you have to be the one that determines all that.
What a father!, any open spots for waifs and strays?
Fantastic gifts that will last a lifetime.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 12:00 PM   #8
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I loved loved my 5167, more so than my 5164. I regretfully gave away my 5167 because I wanted the travel function on the 5164. While I love my 5164, there is something about the weight and airy, open dial of the 5167 that gets my juices flowing.

In fact, my 5167 had received the most complements of any watch I've ever owned and by people that have no clue what PP is. They actually as me where I bought it and where they could get one...little do they know.
Old 15 January 2015, 01:05 PM   #9
redsubby
"TRF" Member

I would have considered it a lot more if it was couple mm bigger and thicker. I would also get it in bracelet and not the rubber.
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 02:50 PM   #10
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To be under the radar.
Please adopt me...
Old 15 January 2015, 03:14 PM   #11
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
From Internet pics and posts I have always been a big fan of the aquanaut. I have considered trading my DD 118208 for a 5167a, but when I am about sold on the idea I read a lot of posts here that are very negative about the 5167a. I know this is a PP forum but I just wanted to get some thoughts about the watch and if you would trade a DD for a 5167a.
Personally, I would get a 5711 instead.
Old 15 January 2015, 08:40 PM   #12
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I like the 5167 but much prefer the RG version, going myself to Germany next tuesday to check one out, and buy if it's ok...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2015, 10:50 PM   #13
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Quote:
To be under the radar.
Double congratulations! Very nice
Old 16 January 2015, 03:38 AM   #14
FlatlineEF9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisguy View Post
Please adopt me...
X2 lol :D
Old 16 January 2015, 04:22 AM   #15
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
I'd say understated rather than underwhelming. I'd have to agree with QC though and go for a 5711.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 04:29 AM   #16
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
i like aquanauts , dont own one , but i will ,, maybe the rose version is the answer ..
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 04:43 AM   #17
Jabberjaw
Banned

If you sweat a lot, like me, then the tropical is the way to go. I've heard SS bracelets are very uncomfortable in hot weather.
Jabberjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 03:19 PM   #18
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
Sold the aquanaut. The numerals got to me.
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2015, 03:20 PM   #19
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
5167..superb fit but the numerals got to me hence sold.
Prefer the 5711 now.
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2015, 03:15 AM   #20
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Between the two I'd opt for the Patek because I prefer a 40mm sport watch to a 36mm dressy watch. But I have been on record as one who was very much underwhelmed by the 5167 (mine on a rubber strap).
The only way to know is make the deal. If it turns out to be a mistake (which I found to be true when I traded my D-serial 18k Daytona/bracelet 116509), plot the next trade. Fortunately, the families Rolex and Patek are the two most liquid watches to deal with.
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 12:05 AM   #21
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

The 5167 is far from underwhelming. It may be lower profile height-wise, but has much greater wrist presence than say a Daytona, which has greater wrist presence than a DD, IMHO.

The comfort and exclusivity make it a great watch that gets tons of compliments. I'm just not wearing mine much these days because I have too many watches and find that I end up "preserving" my nicest ones too much...hence not utilizing enough to justify keeping.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 02:06 AM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorliss View Post
The 5167 is far from underwhelming. It may be lower profile height-wise, but has much greater wrist presence than say a Daytona, which has greater wrist presence than a DD, IMHO.

The comfort and exclusivity make it a great watch that gets tons of compliments. I'm just not wearing mine much these days because I have too many watches and find that I end up "preserving" my nicest ones too much...hence not utilizing enough to justify keeping.
Interesting I would put them in reverse order in terms of wrist presence dd>daytona>aquanaut

Just you opinion I know, same here
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 02:15 AM   #23
Jack Cassidy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I agree 100% with GB-man and will consider buying glasses.
Jack Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 02:20 AM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
To be under the radar.
What a gift That is a gift they'll cherish for a life time
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 03:01 AM   #25
Chaos
"TRF" Member

DD and 5167A are on different leagues, one is for sure for an statement, another is the opposite.

Depends how you want to wear and what you want from it . One thing is for sure, when people realize that you are wearing a Patek, it's interesting!

I do agree the rubber version , although very comfy, is too much of understatement, so I went middle ground

best
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 10:54 AM   #26
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
5167 is a great watch. I ended up selling mine because I could never get used to how thin it is. For me and I'm only speaking for me, it had no "wrist presence." Insanely comfortable and a great watch to add to a collection, but for sure wouldn't be my only watch but one I'd wear to the pool or when I don't want to know that I'm wearing a watch at all. So trading a DD for it? BIG change is all I can say. Make sure you're ready for that.
autohorology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 11:40 AM   #27
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
I have both and they are like comparing passionfruit and tomatoes, DD are very famous and blingy, the Aquanaut genuinely will go unoticed by everyone but a very skilled WIS. Aquanaut comfortable, I ahve posted a number of the comments about the rotor, just check it out before you buy it, I still have mine because I love the rest of the watch.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2015, 01:06 PM   #28
vipergts
"TRF" Member

this is probably the only patek i would consider buying.
vipergts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 03:39 PM   #29
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
DD and 5167A are on different leagues, one is for sure for an statement, another is the opposite.

Depends how you want to wear and what you want from it . One thing is for sure, when people realize that you are wearing a Patek, it's interesting!

I do agree the rubber version , although very comfy, is too much of understatement, so I went middle ground

best
It really is a beautiful watch. Have mine listed for sale in the TRF classified section, but seeing your pic has me re-thinking selling it now.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 04:03 PM   #30
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post

best
That's a great shot. Wonder why most people buy the strap version.....the bracelet version looks much better in my opinion.
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote