The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 February 2024, 02:03 PM   #1
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Paris Salon: Can they sell 5268 or 7118 to US buyer?

I'm reaching out for a close friend of mine; I don't know the Paris Salon. They were not clear whether they will ever sell her a ladies Nautilus. Do you think that they will?

She was at the Paris Salon this January, she's a first time PP buyer, and she bought a 7121/200G (WG Moonphase w/diamonds). She loves it.

She is heading back in April and they were suggesting that they would be willing to sell her the smaller ladies Aquanaut 5072R (RG, MOP dial w/diamonds). It's pricey and she doesn't love it.

She would much rather buy one of the 7118 RG ladies Nautilus models or a 5268/200R ladies Aquanaut, but the person there made it sound like they are prohibited to sell these to non-French customers. Yet, they did sell her the 7121.

Has anyone had experience with the Salon over situations like this?

Many thanks!!!
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 02:47 PM   #2
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Forever View Post
I'm reaching out for a close friend of mine; I don't know the Paris Salon. They were not clear whether they will ever sell her a ladies Nautilus. Do you think that they will?

She was at the Paris Salon this January, she's a first time PP buyer, and she bought a 7121/200G (WG Moonphase w/diamonds). She loves it.

She is heading back in April and they were suggesting that they would be willing to sell her the smaller ladies Aquanaut 5072R (RG, MOP dial w/diamonds). It's pricey and she doesn't love it.

She would much rather buy one of the 7118 RG ladies Nautilus models or a 5268/200R ladies Aquanaut, but the person there made it sound like they are prohibited to sell these to non-French customers. Yet, they did sell her the 7121.

Has anyone had experience with the Salon over situations like this?

Many thanks!!!

I do think they will. Just guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 03:38 PM   #3
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I highly doubt she would be able to score one of those especially if they go above retail and there's a waitlist.

I am baffled as to why a US citizen would purchase in France though - so many ADs in the US compared to France which literally has just the Salon and probably a never ending list of customers (including VVVVVIPs that fly from all around the world)
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 05:58 PM   #4
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
I highly doubt she would be able to score one of those especially if they go above retail and there's a waitlist.

I am baffled as to why a US citizen would purchase in France though - so many ADs in the US compared to France which literally has just the Salon and probably a never ending list of customers (including VVVVVIPs that fly from all around the world)

I’m guessing it’s because people like spending money on vacation and it’s cool to be in the boutique on Place Vendome vs the uninspired ADs here in the US;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 07:18 PM   #5
Gent675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doyle View Post
i highly doubt she would be able to score one of those especially if they go above retail and there's a waitlist.

I am baffled as to why a us citizen would purchase in france though - so many ads in the us compared to france which literally has just the salon and probably a never ending list of customers (including vvvvvips that fly from all around the world)

vat
Gent675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 07:36 PM   #6
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

If they are telling her no, the answer is probably no
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 03:48 AM   #7
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post

That's what I was afraid of...she's probably VIP or VVIP. -Hard to say. She runs a very profitable small biz. She does well enough to get Hermes quota bags and SOs on a regular basis.

She went to the Salon because she was a tourist and wanted to see what it was like. She was not goal-directed in terms of any long-term plan. As she started looking at the catalogue she noticed the ladies Nautilus models and thought, "Oh, those are nice!."

Thanks to all of you who replied!
Old 26 February 2024, 04:29 AM   #8
AHall42631
"TRF" Member

I was in the Paris salon last summer while on vacation from Dallas, TX. The place is like a vault. I had a great experience. They had a case of probably 20 watches in a room upstairs and allowed me to pick any I wanted to try on. I tried the 5980, 5712 and 5990. absolutely great experience.

The salesperson, named Sixth, told me they only sell to locals. So I am surprised they would have sold her anything.
AHall42631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 04:57 PM   #9
doctoryellow
"TRF" Member

They also told me they only sell to locals (last summer)
doctoryellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 12:21 AM   #10
starship33
"TRF" Member

I am a customer there (as I am a French citizen). I have bought some pieces at the Paris Salon, including one grand complication. I was told that nowadays hard to get/hot pieces are reserved for local residents (and for instance it's now impossible to get any aquanaut/nautilus without a prior purchase). So what they told to your friend is correct.

By the way I know someone who used to buy in both Geneva and London salons and this person was told to buy only in London now (at least for pieces that are not only limited edition to the Geneva salon).
starship33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2024, 12:20 AM   #11
JulesVerne
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5235G
Paris customer but US resident

I bought my 5711A from Paris salons in 2014.
I have US & FR passports, but live in NY.
During my most recent visit to Paris Salon, I was told that I was not considered a “local customer”, though I bring my watches for service in Paris.

So I am quite surprised a tourist was allowed to buy any timepiece.
But good for the OP’s friend.
JulesVerne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2024, 12:56 AM   #12
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Can -- likely so
Will -- likely not
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 05:53 PM   #13
rlxero
Banned

They want one point of sale and they want you around all the time. Most brands are like this now, pick a place, and stick with it, and if they have to filter people out, they serve locals first. More likely for you to be around and buy more with less complication of flying in, then holding the watch for you, which they hate to do. It’s not rocket science.
rlxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 06:01 PM   #14
vakman
"TRF" Member

Watch: The watch.!
My wife also wants one. With al the prices falling it wont be that hard to buy the 7118 in gold in a few months. I think i wil try the Geneve salon to buy one. Dress up be nice wil get us a long way i think.
Old 13 March 2024, 03:48 AM   #15
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks again to everyone for your recent feedback. I shared it with my pal. She says thanks, too.
Old 13 March 2024, 05:06 AM   #16
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakman View Post
Dress up be nice wil get us a long way i think.
is this real or a joke ? If that's the case I have been doing it all wrong :)
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 02:21 AM   #17
rlxero
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
is this real or a joke ? If that's the case I have been doing it all wrong :)
If it was that easy everyone would have Nautilus on top of Aqua
rlxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 06:29 AM   #18
vakman
"TRF" Member

Watch: The watch.!
I am talking about a women gold with diamant watch.
Old 24 March 2024, 11:54 AM   #19
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Good luck.

She can try in the USA but she will need to buy a lot of jewelry and Cartier watches, $$$$$$ and maybe gets a steel 7118
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #20
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Update. My friend went to the Paris Salon as promised. She said "...So I couldn’t get an Aquanaut or Nautilus! But he offered me every other watch. Literally every other one lol!" The SA did give her a replace strap for her 7121, as it had gotten a stain on it, so she was happy about that.

She had better luck at VCA, getting the Vendome edition bracelet.