The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 May 2019, 04:23 AM   #1
jupiler
"TRF" Member

Datejust 1601 repaired and very impressed

I have a story that I think it might be useful for some, and I really just wanted to share.

I have been following the forums for sometime now reading about recommended places that services vintage pieces, because I needed to fix a very special watch.

My father, who passed a couple years ago, left me his datejust 1601. is from around 1972-74. He himself had it as a gift from his brother, my uncle, that at that time used to go on business frequently to Geneva, and in one of those trips he though it would be great to buy a Rolex and give one to his younger brother. Needles to say my uncle and my father were very close.

my Father wore that watch non-stop for the next 40+ years. the only time he would take it off was to shower and to sleep. I can not picture my Father, after all this time, without him wearing that watch. finally, when he was in his mid-80's, he started to take less care of the watch, simply because as with many gentleman of that age, he was more preoccupied with changing the rubber stoppers on his walker and whether or not the Sunday paper's coupons would be good on that particular weekend, despite the fact that he had done fairly well in life. So one day finally the watch would not work anymore, he tried fixing it here and there, jerryrigging it at times (he himself replaced a broken blade of the bracelet with one from a seiko he found that fit for example), and when finally the cristal cracked and the crown got stuck, he stop wearing it, he passed a few months later.

So since then, I had the watch and I wondered what to do. leave it as he left it, or have it restored. after discussing it with my wife I decided to have it restored. and began looking for a good place, because I knew it would take a lot of work and certain amount of skill to get this workhorse going again.

in these forums I came across a thread about Bob and Phillip Ridley at watchmakers international. I dropped them a note and Phillip Ridley gave me a call, after Jana, their front person arrange a time for us to chat.

I was nervous as this watch means a lot to me. He was very thorough, asked me a lot of questions and wanted to know what I needed and what I was expecting. I overnighted the watch and he checked it. we talked again on the phone, and he was very thorough and straightforward, telling me exactly what it needed, what it could be done and what he recommended. we agreed, they provided me with an estimated and he got to work on it.

a few weeks later he checked back with me, told me what was going on, informed me about other issues that I should be aware of and gave me options on how to address them, he then told me that the watch would be done the following week. As promised the watch was done and they overnighted the watch back to me.

I can not but whole hardheartedly say that I am elated at the work Phillip did, and I know that anytime the watch needs service, as well as any other of our watches, they will be going back to him. he informed me that he is starting his own business, Ridley watchmakers, I think Bob might be retiring.
if anyone needs to contact him this is his info:

I have a story that I think it might be useful for some, and I really just wanted to share.

I have been following the forums for sometime now reading about recommended places that services vintage pieces, because I needed to fix a very special watch.

My father, who passed a couple years ago, left me his datejust 1601. is from around 1972-74. He himself had it as a gift from his brother, my uncle, that at that time used to go on business frequently to Geneva, and in one of those trips he though it would be great to buy a Rolex and give one to his younger brother. Needles to say my uncle and my father were very close.

my Father wore that watch non-stop for the next 40+ years. the only time he would take it off was to shower and to sleep. I can not picture my Father, after all this time, without him wearing that watch. finally, when he was in his mid-80's, he started to take less care of the watch, simply because as with many gentleman of that age, he was more preoccupied with changing the rubber stoppers on his walker and whether or not the Sunday paper's coupons would be good on that particular weekend, despite the fact that he had done fairly well in life. So one day finally the watch would not work anymore, he tried fixing it here and there, jerryrigging it at times (he himself replaced a broken blade of the bracelet with one from a seiko he found that fit for example), and when finally the cristal cracked and the crown got stuck, he stop wearing it, he passed a few months later.

So since then, I had the watch and I wondered what to do. leave it as he left it, or have it restored. after discussing it with my wife I decided to have it restored. and began looking for a good place, because I knew it would take a lot of work and certain amount of skill to get this workhorse going again.

in these forums I came across a thread about Bob and Phillip Ridley at watchmakers international. I dropped them a note and Phillip Ridley gave me a call, after Jana, their front person arrange a time for us to chat.

I was nervous as this watch means a lot to me. He was very thorough, asked me a lot of questions and wanted to know what I needed and what I was expecting. I overnighted the watch and he checked it. we talked again on the phone, and he was very thorough and straightforward, telling me exactly what it needed, what it could be done and what he recommended. we agreed, they provided me with an estimated and he got to work on it.

a few weeks later he checked back with me, told me what was going on, informed me about other issues that I should be aware of and gave me options on how to address them, he then told me that the watch would be done the following week. As promised the watch was done and they overnighted the watch back to me.

I can not but whole hardheartedly say that I am elated at the work Phillip did, and I know that anytime the watch needs service, as well as any other of our watches, they will be going back to him. he informed me that he is starting his own business, Ridley watchmakers, I think Bob might be retiring.

Phillip Ridley
Ridley Watchmakers

Anyway, just wanted to Share,

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad's watch.JPG (233.4 KB, 297 views)
jupiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 12:35 PM   #2
Sherbie
"TRF" Member

Great to hear that your treasured watch is back up and running again

I can only second your opinion that Bob and Phillip are simply fantastic

They serviced my “new to me” 16750 recently, and i will have no hesitation sending them others to service when the time comes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sherbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 04:24 AM   #3
phillip ridley
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Rolex Red Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiler View Post

Phillip Ridley
Ridley Watchmakers

Anyway, just wanted to Share,

Alex

Looks great, Alex. I am glad you are happy.

I did want to mention that my father has not retired and is still very active in repairs.
phillip ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 05:00 AM   #4
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Great story, and great family heirloom! I’m sure your father would be happy. Glad you have that watch up and running!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 05:27 AM   #5
Woody
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing - the watch looks great and I hope that you enjoy it for many years to come.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 05:31 AM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip ridley View Post

I did want to mention that my father has not retired and is still very active in repairs.

That’s good to hear - I was ready to ask if he’d actually retired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 07:21 AM   #7
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Beautiful watch and great story. Thank you for sharing
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 11:02 AM   #8
TheGRman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1981 AK 5500
A great watch and wonderful story. Thanks for sharing your story (I enjoy reading stories such as yours).
TheGRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 09:34 PM   #9
jupiler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip ridley View Post

Thanks Phillip for clarifying! My bad!
All the best and thanks again!

Alex
jupiler is offline   Reply With Quote