The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 May 2019, 05:09 AM   #1
exador
Banned

When restoring a dial nets you a 660k profit...

Punter buys a Rolex 6062 'Pink Stelline‘ with poorly relumed dial at auction for CHF 315k.

Four years later, and with the dial restored with period-correct radium, watch sells at auction for CHF 975k.

Not a bad return for a $500 re-lume

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ch...-6062-stelline
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 05:21 AM   #2
Woody
"TRF" Member

An interesting article - as someone who favours functionality over originality I often find myself in the minority!!!
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 05:40 AM   #3
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
From the phillips auction and this one, it seems that the current market is very strong. A pristine 5508 went for 500k euro in the Phillips auction. I never thought a small crown would fetch such a price.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 05:50 AM   #4
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Hardly think it netted the seller 660k profit. The auction house got paid as well.

I think the rarity of this piece has a lot of value. It sold ”too cheap” at AQ and this time they got more. I don’t think it was the restoration itself that fetched a higher price. More the market that has changed and Christies did a better job than AQ. Kind of healthy that it sold well below the estimate which was kind of crazy.
Old 14 May 2019, 06:19 AM   #5
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Hardly think it netted the seller 660k profit. The auction house got paid as well.
The auction house collects the buyer's premium plus a certain percentage of the sale. If the owner knows what he's doing, he probably negotiated a very small percent as the auction house wants that business and notoriety for bringing a time piece like that to auction. So I would think the owner did rather well for themselves.

My boss sold a few million dollars in rare coins at a highly regarded auction. They forwarded him a million to start and settled on a tiny percentage of the sale price after negotiations.

With a rarity, the sky is the limit because there's really no other to settle on. Almost a one off. You just need two hungry buyers.
Old 14 May 2019, 06:21 AM   #6
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
The auction house collects the buyer's premium plus a certain percentage of the sale. If the owner knows what he's doing, he probably negotiated a very small percent as the auction house wants that business and notoriety for bringing a time piece like that to auction. So I would think the owner did rather well for themselves.

My boss sold a few million dollars in rare coins at a highly regarded auction. They forwarded him a million to start and settled on a tiny percentage of the sale price after negotiations.
Sure

Point being was that it wasn’t the restoration itself that made the profit.
Old 14 May 2019, 06:26 AM   #7
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
Sure

Agreed, duly noted.

Maybe a slight factor though as the original material was used?

Still a cool read nonetheless.
Old 14 May 2019, 06:28 AM   #8
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
Agreed, duly noted.

Maybe a slight factor though as the original material was used?

Still a cool read nonetheless.
It looks much better which of course helps. I doubt however that it is the main reason between 315 and 975k.

Old 14 May 2019, 06:31 AM   #9
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Yeah, if you have a brain and marquis item like this, you can negotiate with the auction house to take near nothing for themselves as they get their pound in garnering the prestige of selling the marquis item.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 06:31 AM   #10
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think the rarity of this piece has a lot of value. It sold ”too cheap” at AQ and this time they got more. I don’t think it was the restoration itself that fetched a higher price. More the market that has changed and Christies did a better job than AQ. Kind of healthy that it sold well below the estimate which was kind of crazy.
x2 on the market value comment, as evidenced by the steady cadence of "bubble" or "crazy valuations" threads on this site. There was even one about the increase in 1601 prices today.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 07:02 AM   #11
exador
Banned

Quote:
Would the watch still have sold for CHF 975,000 had no work been done? You have no way of knowing that of course.

The owner of the untouched example in the article would have to sell theirs for CHF 3.9M to make a similar ROI.
Old 14 May 2019, 07:22 AM   #12
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Would the watch still have sold for CHF 975,000 had no work been done? You have no way of knowing that of course.

The owner of the untouched example in the article would have to sell theirs for CHF 3.9M to make a similar ROI.
No idea. I am however fairly sure it would have sold above 315k.

The work made it more attractive so it was probably a wise move. The lot was close to hammer at 500 before one bidder fought until 800. Small margin between success and failure sometimes.
Old 14 May 2019, 10:58 AM   #13
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Interesting that it went for below estimate. I feel a general market softening...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 01:46 PM   #14
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Interesting that it went for below estimate. I feel a general market softening...
The estimate came out of someone's a$$. CHF 1,000,000 to CHF 2,000,000? That's quite a spread...
Old 14 May 2019, 01:55 PM   #15
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
The estimate came out of someone's a$$. CHF 1,000,000 to CHF 2,000,000? That's quite a spread...
Fair point. But this is just one data point among many that indicate a market that may be at, or slightly past, its zenith...

Either way, I ain't selling. I've never bought watches as an investment. They're my kids.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 04:24 PM   #16
roh123
"TRF" Member

I felt the results over the weekend were very strong. Many Daytonas continued to soften unless quality was exceptional. Most good watches sold well.