The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 May 2019, 09:46 AM   #1
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
AD's sales pitch to purchase 'hot' models from them!!

Spent the morning at my local AD trying on a a couple Daytona's, YM, OP and a 41mm DJ. During our conversation she figured out that I knew the game and we started discussing the forums. I mentioned I post a lot on Rolex Forums and so we started discussing the normal issues that are brought up in threads about supply, Greys and the hot sports models.

Here's where it got interesting. After I mentioned that I understood that an AD can only charge MSRP and it wasn't worth the hassle to sell a SS Sub to a guy off the street came the pitch.

She said that Greys sell the popular models for $2-4K over MSRP. As a buyer you get nothing for your money you just pay the premium. However if you tell her and her boss what model you want and spend a couple grand on trinkets in the store like earings, bracelets, etc., and become a regular, they will guarantee you the model you want at MSRP. That way you end up with some jewelry and the watch. The second catch is that you can purchase only one hot model per year and they take off all stickers in the store.

FYI only!!
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 09:50 AM   #2
IR201
"TRF" Member

I had an AD tell me I had to spend thousands just to get on the list for a watch
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 09:53 AM   #3
skhan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next one
Very interesting!!! Really makes me wonder.
skhan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 09:53 AM   #4
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I wish I knew this
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 09:59 AM   #5
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
The part she conveniently left out was the markup on all those trinkets which, by the way, have nearly zero resale value. And “guarantee” it when exactly? And what happens when they lose their Rolex license?

How is grey sounding now?
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 10:11 AM   #6
shapiroeric
"TRF" Member

I would the spend the extra with a GD than spend money on trinkets to get it at MSRP....easy choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shapiroeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 10:28 AM   #7
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
The part she conveniently left out was the markup on all those trinkets which, by the way, have nearly zero resale value. And “guarantee” it when exactly? And what happens when they lose their Rolex license?

Correct! How about when she changes jobs.
I didn’t spend a dime.
Old 31 May 2019, 10:38 AM   #8
Unclebuck
"TRF" Member

Just say no. Buy a Seiko SKX. Lovely in house movement. Not high end. But an iconic watch, a joy to wear.
Unclebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 10:45 AM   #9
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Or wait for the madness to end and then, you know, just go buy one.
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 10:45 AM   #10
FiendishDrWu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post

I'm having to rebuild a relationship with another AD after my local one got their status revoked by Rolex. It definitely taught me to think long and hard about who to invest my time building a relationship with going forward.
FiendishDrWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 10:51 AM   #11
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
The AD I built a solid relationship with saw Rolex can them back in January. I recently popped into a different AD I purchased my first Rolex from ten years ago for the first time in ages - I stopped going there because I disliked dealing with them - and the new store director seemed great, talked about relationship-building being the most important factor for them, so on and so forth.

Tried on a few models and BSd with the guy for awhile, talked watches, etc. He bragged that if I bought the watch I was looking at, a RG YM40, that he could get me any other model I want immediately (“Daytona? TT CHNR? Pepsi? Psssh, those are easy for us.”).

I left, but called the next day and told him I’d take the YM now, IF and only if I could purchase a SS Daytona as part of the deal. “Oh, uhhhhhh...yea, lemme call you right back to confirm that,” bla bla bla. That was 3 weeks ago, no call back, none, zip, nada, and the guy was apparently just wasting my time.

Point being, I’m interested in building relationships with businesses to the extent it is advantageous to me to do so, but I’m not interested in paying grays exorbitant prices, nor will I buy crap I don’t want from ADs for the privilege of buying something I do. I can find other things I’m interested in to devote resources to.

Tried on a few cool watches that day tho. Still thinking about that RG YM.

MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 10:59 AM   #12
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
If I buy a new watch I figure that I should be the one taking off the stickers ... Just saying ...
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 11:08 AM   #13
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post
If I buy a new watch I figure that I should be the one taking off the stickers ... Just saying ...

They told me that recently a guy purchased a Daytona and went berserk when they took off the stickers. He made a scene in the store.

I told them it cost him $2-4K

They thought that was hilarious
Old 31 May 2019, 11:18 AM   #14
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post
Spent the morning at my local AD trying on a a couple Daytona's, YM, OP and a 41mm DJ. During our conversation she figured out that I knew the game and we started discussing the forums. I mentioned I post a lot on Rolex Forums and so we started discussing the normal issues that are brought up in threads about supply, Greys and the hot sports models.

Here's where it got interesting. After I mentioned that I understood that an AD can only charge MSRP and it wasn't worth the hassle to sell a SS Sub to a guy off the street came the pitch.

She said that Greys sell the popular models for $2-4K over MSRP. As a buyer you get nothing for your money you just pay the premium. However if you tell her and her boss what model you want and spend a couple grand on trinkets in the store like earings, bracelets, etc., and become a regular, they will guarantee you the model you want at MSRP. That way you end up with some jewelry and the watch. The second catch is that you can purchase only one hot model per year and they take off all stickers in the store.

FYI only!!
I wish this was true at the ADs I visit. I’ve maybe spent 30-40k this year alone on Diamond rings, earrings, necklaces etc for my gf and, zero, I mean zero chance of any ss rolex beyond say a EXPII...plus my AD knows me and is blatantly frank about the whole thing.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 12:28 PM   #15
Blueline226
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV, DaytonaC
“I wish this was true at the ADs I visit. I’ve maybe spent 30-40k this year alone on Diamond rings, earrings, necklaces etc for my gf and, zero, I mean zero chance of any ss rolex beyond say a EXPII...plus my AD knows me and is blatantly frank about the whole thing.”

Buddy you need a new AD! I just got a black Daytona after nine months by just stopping in and talking watches with the local AD. He knew I wasn’t going to flip after a few visits and I got the first one they acquired. Super awesome people and I will be strictly doing business with them from now on.
Blueline226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 12:43 PM   #16
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
They told me that recently a guy purchased a Daytona and went berserk when they took off the stickers. He made a scene in the store.

Ben Bridge used to engrave your name on the caseback. Glad I never spent a dime there building a relationship.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 01:21 PM   #17
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Quote:

FYI only!!

What is the definition of a hot model? Explorer(s), Sub? Pepsi, Batman? Daytona? Etc All of the above?

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 01:29 PM   #18
Cesium137
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
Just say no. Buy a Seiko SKX. Lovely in house movement. Not high end. But an iconic watch, a joy to wear.
The movement is anything but lovely. Good starter watch though.
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 01:35 PM   #19
Cesium137
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post

I left, but called the next day and told him I’d take the YM now, IF and only if I could purchase a SS Daytona as part of the deal. “Oh, uhhhhhh...yea, lemme call you right back to confirm that,” bla bla bla. That was 3 weeks ago, no call back, none, zip, nada, and the guy was apparently just wasting my time.

]
Called his bluff, and he folded. Typical big talking AD. But that YM....now that looks fantastic!
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 01:43 PM   #20
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

AD's sales pitch to purchase 'hot' models from them!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrs63 View Post
What is the definition of a hot model? Explorer(s), Sub? Pepsi, Batman? Daytona? Etc All of the above?

The ones not in stock that people ask for. All of the above. Explorer is popular. Air King was a bust. Just a quick discussion while I was trying on watches.

They thought Air King would be a hit.
Old 31 May 2019, 01:48 PM   #21
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesium137 View Post
Called his bluff, and he folded. Typical big talking AD. But that YM....now that looks fantastic!

I know, that was disappointing...but the YM was anything but! Hadn’t really considered it before, but I am a huge fan of that watch after seeing it in the metal.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 06:27 PM   #22
Oaker1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
The RG YM on OF looks amazing. I am very tempted by that watch.
Oaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 06:33 PM   #23
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

There is no official norm throughout all ADs. They all handle it differently.
T.Mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 06:42 PM   #24
Oldwoods
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk
My AD has never mentioned the need to buy anything other than the watches I want.
I’ve told them the models that I want and, so far, they have supplied them.
No fuss just first class service.
Oldwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 06:52 PM   #25
Mini2
"TRF" Member

At these strange times its in the hands of the AD who get watches. If they can sell other inventory to bolster there turnover why wouldn't they. However can it last? NO in my opinion.
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 06:54 PM   #26
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

FYI only!!
not needed if you have bought a few watches from them already

Jewelery is just easier to source then Rolex SS watches :)
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 06:58 PM   #27
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Get that in writing, bet they won’t commit it to paper!

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 06:58 PM   #28
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

In the UK, the standard practise is to take off the stickers and hold the guarantee card for a year.

I have never accepted this. I have bought 3 Rolexs from my AD now, which is part of a bigger chain, and they give me the guarantee straight away and also dont take off the stickers. I told them that is a condition of my purchase.

you might have more leverage to do this after buying at least one from the same dealer

For me, buying an item, but not getting the full contractual deal (e.g. the guarantee card), is a no no line I will never cross
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 07:00 PM   #29
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:

FYI only!!
Many ADs aren't stupid or oblivious. They check chrono24 prices, then tell a customer to make up at least half the difference.

If a grey is selling for 4K above MSRP, you should be spending at least 2K on their nonsense of jewellery.

Problem is, I, personally am not a jewellery type of guy. I buy watches and that's it. I don't see how I can justify throwing 3-4K at them for a SS on items I would never wear and would deem worthless once you walk out of the store. If they were to force me to buy something from their store I'd rather pick up 2 Datejusts or a PM model. At least they retain value.

Get me a hulk bundled with a YG Sub and I'd take that any day over splashing on crappy jewellery marked up to the stratosphere.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 07:04 PM   #30
tonoboon
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,JLC,RL,AP
bundle are everywhere ^___^
tonoboon is offline   Reply With Quote