The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 17 April 2014, 10:28 AM   #1
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
Seamaster: Aqua Terra

Because there has been quite some show of Aqua Terras recently, it makes me want it more and more and more...

There was a chance where I could get one earlier in the month, but I passed on it because it was a quartz. No harm there, but I don't think the asking price is justifiable, so I passed on it.

Until last week, an AD-friend told me that one of his regulars wants to trade-back an AT he sold him some time ago, around last year or so - and asked me if I was interested in seeing it. I said sure - why not, I always wanted an AT in my collection anyway, and this one is said to be in "great condition". I had my reservations, so I told him "Let me know when you get it".

So a few days back, he did get it, and I came over to see the watch.

The watch turns out to be in great condition as stated - not so good on the leather band though, so the picture here is with my own croco strap. It also unfortunately came without a bracelet... I had a bit of a doubt regarding that, so if I make the purchase - meaning I would buy a head only watch. So I asked the price, negotiated, and came out with a figure we're both happy about and as you can see, I ended up with the watch.

Everything else is great about it, sports a cal. 2500 which IMHO is thinner and more "comfortable" to wear, despite not looking as good as it's borther cal. 8300, but I can live with it and I heard its a workhorse too.

However, the dial (TO ME) is a bit uncommon on the second hand market, it's pearlish white dial white rose gold indices and hands, usually I see them all in steel. I wondered if this was a two-tone version, but then again I don't think so, since the bezel is all steel too.. But I like it. It makes the watch all the much dressier, which is what I intend it to be!

The finishing on the watch is remarkably better than I expected, the brushing, and the polishing, and especially the faceted indices with the large "broad-arrow" hands, it really plays with the light when I wear it and that is something I like.

However, there seems to be slight discolouration/aging on the hands only and I'm not sure why, but I don't intend to open it up for now and leave it be, its is somewhat darker than the indices, and you can only see it on a certain angle. I know gold tends to oxidize with time, but I'm curious as of why the hands are the only ones oxidizing...

And the obligatory wrist shot! :D

Oh this one also is a more "modern" size, at 41mm, which not my preferred choice TBH, since I think the 38.5 is much better suited for my small wrists. But after wearing it for a few days, I think it still looks okay! However, if a more interesting AT at 38.5 comes along, I might decide to flip this away in favour of the smaller one...

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2014, 10:42 AM   #2
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
That is one nice looking watch - well done!

I'm a fan of the AT line-up.
tfduff723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2014, 11:29 AM   #3
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

That's a beauty!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Cesium133
"TRF" Member

Very nice! Feel free to flip it to me once you find a 38.5. I wouldn't mind that beauty in my collection.
Cesium133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2014, 12:23 PM   #5
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
There has never been an ugly AT, well found sir!
Old 17 April 2014, 01:59 PM   #6
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
Thanks for the compliments guys! And Cesium i'll let you know bud!

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2014, 02:53 PM   #7
mattcantwin
"TRF" Member

Great looking AT (and strap), congratulations!
mattcantwin is offline   Reply With Quote