The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 September 2020, 06:01 PM   #1
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Winding on wrist - 3285

With the 3285 movement, does anyone know roughly how many hours of 'normal wear' does it take to take the movement up to fully wound?
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 06:09 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
There is no answer to this question.

Do you sit a a desk all day or are you an exercise freak?

Both are ‘normal’ for some.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 06:35 PM   #3
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanalasta View Post
With the 3285 movement, does anyone know roughly how many hours of 'normal wear' does it take to take the movement up to fully wound?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
There is no answer to this question.

Do you sit a a desk all day or are you an exercise freak?

Both are ‘normal’ for some.
What if you exercise at your desk?

Seriously though the self winding depends a lot on your lifestyle, which may also vary from day to day.

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 07:16 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
As others have said wearing a watch does not wind the watch,its wrist movement that makes the winding pendulum swing to wind the mainspring.And before wearing always best to manually wind first around 40 plus full crown turns clockwise only.Once the mainspring is fully wound it just slips in the spring-barrel so you cannot over-wind.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 10:45 PM   #5
77T

Winding on wrist - 3285

It’s a reasonable question as long as we can agree that “normal wear” is what a normal person does in a normal day, normally.

My experience, and short answer, 12-16 hours on your wrist each day will keep it running forever. A very active person may get away with less...
But if quibblers want to parse “normal” I’ll offer my experience. So here goes...my defo’s, insert your own.

I bought an Expl.II in 2000. A 3285 movement would likely perform the same as that (but with a bit more power reserve).

I wore it every day for 10 years. I never wound it up after taking delivery from AD. At that time, I knew nothing more than there was a perpetual rotor that automatically kept the mainspring tightened up (or some similar description by AD). So I was not a WIS, just a “normal” buyer.

It was never serviced in the 10 years I owned it. It never ran down, rusted or busted - and was on my wrist continuously except for sleeping. Only had to set date on 1st day after months with less than 31 days, and time when traveling across TZ’s or DST changes.

My “normal” day:
Woke at 5am - drove to club - ran and did weight machines for an hour - SSS - went to work for 10-12 hours making money move into my employer’s coffers in an office.

Sometime after work, went to play tennis or softball in corporate challenge ladders. Went home and did the family thing as head of household, dinner, fixing anything broken, watching whatever TV the family liked.

Rinse and repeat daily until weekend, more physically active during weekend daylight hours, same evening activity.

In all that time, including vacations, it never ran down.

YMMV but on balance, it should never run down if you are a single Rolex owner who wears it daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 10:58 PM   #6
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Watch: The BIG ones
try this as an experiment; Start with a completely wound down and stopped state. Give it a few winds and a shake to get it started. Wear it for 8 hours and then try and wind it. I bet it will be close to fully wound.
Smobews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 12:55 AM   #7
amanbra
"TRF" Member

My Daytona and dj36 with the 3235 I find gets to full wind from 60hs of non use for me in about five hours which includes a lunch time stroll for ten mins to pick up food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 02:42 AM   #8
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smobews View Post
try this as an experiment; Start with a completely wound down and stopped state. Give it a few winds and a shake to get it started. Wear it for 8 hours and then try and wind it. I bet it will be close to fully wound.
How will you know if it is fully wound?
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 02:52 AM   #9
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911991 View Post
How will you know if it is fully wound?
you can definitely tell by feel and sound when you rotate the crown. Try winding it slowly when it isn't fully wound. you'll notice extra resistance and a distinct sound when it becomes fully wound and the end of the spring starts to slide in the barrel. Once you know it, you'll be able to tell every time.
Old 16 September 2020, 04:10 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
An automatic wind watch is intended to keep your watch at a steady state of wind, not to wind-it-up; that's your job.

If the gearing is the same as previously (31xx base), it would take ~1,950 turns of the rotor to wind it up from a stop. That's a lot of wrist twists.
Old 16 September 2020, 04:15 AM   #11
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
An automatic wind watch is intended to keep your watch at a steady state of wind, not to wind-it-up; that's your job.

If the gearing is the same as previously (31xx base), it would take ~1,950 turns of the rotor to wind it up from a stop. That's a lot of wrist twists.
I thought it was about 650, or is that to keep it at a steady state
Old 16 September 2020, 06:23 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smobews View Post
I thought it was about 650, or is that to keep it at a steady state
650 winds of the rotor is what the movement needs to keep it running at a steady state in 24 hours.

Full power reserve if fully wound is 48 hours (31xx), or 70ish for the 32xx.
Old 16 September 2020, 11:45 AM   #13
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Larry - help me check my info from a watchmaker (I’m not one myself).

If 40 winding crown rotations fully tightens the mainspring and ~1950 turns of the rotor does the same. Would that mean it takes ~50 rotor turns to supply the same power reserve of 1 full crown rotation?

With bi-directional dual ratcheting gears and the reducing gears, I thought the Rolex perpetual rotor mechanism was more efficient than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote