The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Reference Library

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 June 2018, 11:45 AM   #241
SeeitBuyit
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Planet Earth
Watch: Breguet Hora Mundi
Posts: 80
Always preferred this model. never knew it was scarce. Nice article too.
SeeitBuyit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 08:32 AM   #242
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member
 
strafer_kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Real Name: Kenny
Location: northern ireland
Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Posts: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
GMT's are my favorite watches, a jack of all trades, a tool watch with 3 time-zones, date and more than good enough for recreational diving.
Very well put.....a great watch!
strafer_kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 10:50 AM   #243
Chope Man
"TRF" Member
 
Chope Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Real Name: Jean-Michel
Location: Paris, France
Watch: Blue dial 16618
Posts: 179
Hello to All, this is my first post in this great forum.

"3 time-zones" was it said?

Not for a 16700 which is the subject of this thread ... Only 2 of them.
Chope Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 11:09 PM   #244
ibbraithwaite
"TRF" Member
 
ibbraithwaite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Real Name: Ian
Location: Australia
Watch: 116710LN
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chope Man View Post
Hello to All, this is my first post in this great forum.

"3 time-zones" was it said?

Not for a 16700 which is the subject of this thread ... Only 2 of them.
No mate - 3. As is the case with any GMT with a rotating bezel

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
ibbraithwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 10:59 AM   #245
sillo38
2019 GMT CHNR Pledge Member
 
sillo38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Real Name: Sean
Location: NY
Watch: 5 Digit
Posts: 1,618
Just to add to this with the help of jP (Springer) I determined there are 5 total dial variations for the 16700. The serials listed with each dial aren't necessarily comprehensive either as the sample size wasn't huge.

Mark I
1st Dial I found. Found in R, L, E, X, S, T, W, U Serials


Mark II
2nd Dial. Found in L, X, N, W, S, T Serials


Mark III/Mark IV
3rd T<25 Dial/1st Swiss dial. I guess we can consider it the 3rd and 4th versions. Found on U and A serials.


Mark V

Last one. Found on T and A serials.
__________________
16570 | 16700 | 16800 | 79260 | 14060

@TheGMTHand
sillo38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 11:08 AM   #246
sillo38
2019 GMT CHNR Pledge Member
 
sillo38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Real Name: Sean
Location: NY
Watch: 5 Digit
Posts: 1,618
Bracelet Options/End Links
78360/501B
93150/501B
62150H 50/502B
78790/501B

Pepsi Bezels were all the blue back version


All papers labeled A30 until A serial. Then it was B for Pepsi N for Black. I believe this style with watermark was used for the entire production run in the US.


Accessories (USA models)

Map box for early serials.


Switched to the more common granite box



Boxes aren't concrete though as watches didn't ship with a box and could be paired with a box the dealer had laying around.

Booklets


Hang Tags
Green Serial Number Tag

Red Single Crown Hologram Chronometer Tag
[/QUOTE]
__________________
16570 | 16700 | 16800 | 79260 | 14060

@TheGMTHand
sillo38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 06:44 PM   #247
faimag
2019 Pledge Member
 
faimag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: around the world
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfashioned View Post
Could anyone confirm that 16700 never came with coke dial? I'm asking because I have a 16700A on my paper and Im told that A means black, B means Pepsi, and N means black?

Also, just out of curiosity, is Pepsi more rare or a all black bezel more rare on a 16700?
This is weird. I always thought:
A=coke
B=pepsi
N=black ("Noir")

And yes, the 16700 was only available on pepsi and all-black.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 01:21 AM   #248
sillo38
2019 GMT CHNR Pledge Member
 
sillo38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Real Name: Sean
Location: NY
Watch: 5 Digit
Posts: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
This is weird. I always thought:
A=coke
B=pepsi
N=black ("Noir")

And yes, the 16700 was only available on pepsi and all-black.


Yup this is correct. But prior to ~1999 they were all labeled 16700A30 no matter the insert color.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
16570 | 16700 | 16800 | 79260 | 14060

@TheGMTHand
sillo38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 04:16 AM   #249
Tools
Moderator & 2019 GMT TT Patron
 
Tools's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Real Name: Larry
Location: Mojave Desert
Watch: GMT's
Posts: 35,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfashioned View Post
Could anyone confirm that 16700 never came with coke dial? I'm asking because I have a 16700A on my paper and Im told that A means black, B means Pepsi, and N means black?

Also, just out of curiosity, is Pepsi more rare or a all black bezel more rare on a 16700?
Just to confirm this commonly asked question.

The black/red (Coke) bezel insert was born on the original GMT II 16760, and carried over into the 16710. It is ONLY found on the GMT II; no GMT Master, to include the GMT 16700, was ever released with the black/red insert.

The confusion comes from the initial release of both models. The 16700A GMT I model was the initial release and was Pepsi fitted. The 16760A GMT II was the initial release and fitted with Coke inserts. The follow-on GMT II retained A suffix as Coke, the Pepsi was released later and coded B.
__________________
(Chill ... It's just a watch Forum.....)
NAWCC Member
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 06:01 AM   #250
AntoMeRolexPassion
"TRF" Member
 
AntoMeRolexPassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Real Name: Antonio
Location: Messina - Italy
Posts: 50
Very interesting topic, many thanks.
I learned more about a watch that love, particulary around the dials differences
AntoMeRolexPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 11:27 PM   #251
AntoMeRolexPassion
"TRF" Member
 
AntoMeRolexPassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Real Name: Antonio
Location: Messina - Italy
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo38 View Post
Just to add to this with the help of jP (Springer) I determined there are 5 total dial variations for the 16700. The serials listed with each dial aren't necessarily comprehensive either as the sample size wasn't huge.
Hi, i minutely readed your post about Mk's differences and today i found some photos of my 16700.
A2xxxx bought by official dealer here in Italy in May 1999, single owner.
There are some differences compared to those classified by you.
Can you take a look?
Many many thanks

https://www.rolexforums.com/attachme...1&d=1551360351


https://www.rolexforums.com/attachme...1&d=1551360351

https://www.rolexforums.com/attachme...1&d=1551360351
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (246.9 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (226.4 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (223.9 KB, 167 views)
AntoMeRolexPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 02:14 AM   #252
sillo38
2019 GMT CHNR Pledge Member
 
sillo38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Real Name: Sean
Location: NY
Watch: 5 Digit
Posts: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoMeRolexPassion View Post
Hi, i minutely readed your post about Mk's differences and today i found some photos of my 16700.
A2xxxx bought by official dealer here in Italy in May 1999, single owner.
There are some differences compared to those classified by you.
Can you take a look?
Many many thanks
Going to look into the dial a little more, but regarding the insert, I'm pretty sure that's aftermarket. Have you had that changed at any point?
__________________
16570 | 16700 | 16800 | 79260 | 14060

@TheGMTHand
sillo38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 02:20 AM   #253
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member
 
strafer_kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Real Name: Kenny
Location: northern ireland
Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Posts: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Just to confirm this commonly asked question.

The black/red (Coke) bezel insert was born on the original GMT II 16760, and carried over into the 16710. It is ONLY found on the GMT II; no GMT Master, to include the GMT 16700, was ever released with the black/red insert.

The confusion comes from the initial release of both models. The 16700A GMT I model was the initial release and was Pepsi fitted. The 16760A GMT II was the initial release and fitted with Coke inserts. The follow-on GMT II retained A suffix as Coke, the Pepsi was released later and coded B.
Whilst no GMT Master was ever fitted from new with the Coke insert, presumably a Coke insert from a GMT II would fit a GMT Master?
strafer_kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 02:21 AM   #254
sillo38
2019 GMT CHNR Pledge Member
 
sillo38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Real Name: Sean
Location: NY
Watch: 5 Digit
Posts: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
Whilst no GMT Master was ever fitted from new with the Coke insert, presumably a Coke insert from a GMT II would fit a GMT Master?
Yup, all the 5 digit inserts will fit.
__________________
16570 | 16700 | 16800 | 79260 | 14060

@TheGMTHand
sillo38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 02:30 AM   #255
springer
2019 GMT CHNR Pledge Member
 
springer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real Name: jP
Location: Texas
Watch: GMT-MASTER
Posts: 14,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo38 View Post
Going to look into the dial a little more, but regarding the insert, I'm pretty sure that's aftermarket. Have you had that changed at any point?
You are correct. The bezel insert is not genuine Rolex but aftermarket.
__________________
"If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play."

Member of NAWCC since 1990.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 03:10 AM   #256
AntoMeRolexPassion
"TRF" Member
 
AntoMeRolexPassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Real Name: Antonio
Location: Messina - Italy
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo38 View Post
Going to look into the dial a little more, but regarding the insert, I'm pretty sure that's aftermarket. Have you had that changed at any point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
You are correct. The bezel insert is not genuine Rolex but aftermarket.
I don't remember changing it. it's false? what would be the right one?
AntoMeRolexPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2019, 07:41 PM   #257
exador
2019 Pledge Member
 
exador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NZ
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoMeRolexPassion View Post
I don't remember changing it. it's false? what would be the right one?
Your insert has “hooked 2’s” (photo courtesy Springer). No big deal, pop it out then take your watch to a Rolex AD and get a replacement.

exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2019, 09:41 PM   #258
AntoMeRolexPassion
"TRF" Member
 
AntoMeRolexPassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Real Name: Antonio
Location: Messina - Italy
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Your insert has “hooked 2’s” (photo courtesy Springer). No big deal, pop it out then take your watch to a Rolex AD and get a replacement.
Thanks,
in these days I've verified that it is fake...
Yesterday i found this, can it be correct?

https://www.rolexforums.com/attachme...1&d=1551613269
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foto 02-03-19, 16 55 08.jpg (193.1 KB, 138 views)
AntoMeRolexPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 12:27 PM   #259
sillo38
2019 GMT CHNR Pledge Member
 
sillo38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Real Name: Sean
Location: NY
Watch: 5 Digit
Posts: 1,618
The GMT-Master 16700.....A Forgotten Reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoMeRolexPassion View Post
Thanks,
in these days I've verified that it is fake...
Yesterday i found this, can it be correct?

https://www.rolexforums.com/attachme...1&d=1551613269
Yup, that one looks good For me I always look at the bottom of the twos. If you compare them the aftermarket ones are straight, while the genuine ones follow the curvature of the inside diameter of the insert.

Not sure though if yours would have originally had a serif or non serif insert, but that's really not an issue. I have this "Talking Points" booklet from 1991 showing the non serif insert.





__________________
16570 | 16700 | 16800 | 79260 | 14060

@TheGMTHand
sillo38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:39 AM   #260
joe100
2019 GMT CHNR Pledge Member
 
joe100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Real Name: Joe
Location: United States
Watch: 16700 GMT
Posts: 12,573
__________________
It's Espresso, not Expresso. Coffee is not a train in Italy.
-TRF Member 6982-
joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:43 AM   #261
sillo38
2019 GMT CHNR Pledge Member
 
sillo38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Real Name: Sean
Location: NY
Watch: 5 Digit
Posts: 1,618
^ very nice!

__________________
16570 | 16700 | 16800 | 79260 | 14060

@TheGMTHand
sillo38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:47 AM   #262
joe100
2019 GMT CHNR Pledge Member
 
joe100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Real Name: Joe
Location: United States
Watch: 16700 GMT
Posts: 12,573
Thanks and likewise!

Time to get this thread rolling again
__________________
It's Espresso, not Expresso. Coffee is not a train in Italy.
-TRF Member 6982-
joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:48 AM   #263
mineral
"TRF" Member
 
mineral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo38 View Post
^ very nice!



Look perfect!

Mine joining you as well.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Watching date changes every midnight
mineral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 09:18 PM   #264
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member
 
strafer_kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Real Name: Kenny
Location: northern ireland
Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Posts: 4,296
Gotta love the 16700!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 835661BE-78F1-48A6-AF09-90791A5A14F7.jpeg (224.4 KB, 30 views)
strafer_kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Banners Of The Month


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2019, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.