The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 August 2019, 09:19 PM   #1
Dr.Teatime
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: PGH
Posts: 83
UK purchasing

Dear all,
Has anyone been able to source any pieces from the UK recently?
The dollar seems pretty strong, I wonder if anyone can provide a contact to obtain pieces from the UK?
Im thinking about the 5325 or 5534
Thanks!
Dr.Teatime is offline  
Old 9 August 2019, 09:24 PM   #2
Sam Philip
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Teatime View Post
Dear all,
Has anyone been able to source any pieces from the UK recently?
The dollar seems pretty strong, I wonder if anyone can provide a contact to obtain pieces from the UK?
Im thinking about the 5325 or 5534
Thanks!
I assume you meant 5235 or 5524. Which metal are you interested in?

It is not hard to obtain those 2 pieces in the UK. You can contact Boodles, recently they had 5235G and 5524R in stock.
Sam Philip is offline  
Old 10 August 2019, 12:51 AM   #3
AK797
"TRF" Member
 
AK797's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Real Name: Neil
Location: UK
Watch: ing ships roll in
Posts: 57,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
I assume you meant 5235 or 5524. Which metal are you interested in?

It is not hard to obtain those 2 pieces in the UK. You can contact Boodles, recently they had 5235G and 5524R in stock.
These two refs are buyable as Sam says, happy hunting without all the arse-kissing.
AK797 is offline  
Old 9 August 2019, 09:26 PM   #4
Russell996
2020 Pledge Member
 
Russell996's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 3,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Teatime View Post
Dear all,
Has anyone been able to source any pieces from the UK recently?
The dollar seems pretty strong, I wonder if anyone can provide a contact to obtain pieces from the UK?
Im thinking about the 5325 or 5534
Thanks!
Yes, lots. If you a UK resident with a good AD relationship.
PS - neither of those a PP ref.
__________________
Instagram @scu16m
Russell996 is offline  
Old 9 August 2019, 10:07 PM   #5
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member
 
chunkythebulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Northern Monkey
Posts: 425
I havenít got enough money for all the Pateks my AD wants to sell me at present.
chunkythebulldog is offline  
Old 9 August 2019, 11:00 PM   #6
Aquaman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: All around
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkythebulldog View Post
I havenít got enough money for all the Pateks my AD wants to sell me at present.




BUT PP. I have seen 5524g in shop windows all around, so shouldn't be hard to get
Aquaman is offline  
Old 9 August 2019, 11:47 PM   #7
Rwatcher
"TRF" Member
 
Rwatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North,UK
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkythebulldog View Post
I haven’t got enough money for all the Pateks my AD wants to sell me at present.
Your pain is felt by us all,

Sell a kidney?
Rwatcher is offline  
Old 9 August 2019, 11:53 PM   #8
Aquaman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: All around
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwatcher View Post
Your pain is felt by us all,

Sell a kidney?

As long as its not his liver after a previous thread I read, 29 pints, must be a southerner
Aquaman is offline  
Old 10 August 2019, 12:09 AM   #9
Fat_ninja
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2018
Real Name: Jonathan
Location: USA
Watch: P-01
Posts: 11,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
As long as its not his liver after a previous thread I read, 29 pints, must be a southerner
Definitley not the liver for either of you
Fat_ninja is offline  
Old 10 August 2019, 01:24 AM   #10
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member
 
chunkythebulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Northern Monkey
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
As long as its not his liver after a previous thread I read, 29 pints, must be a southerner
That was 29 pints before the meal. I had a further 29 after the meal as well.
chunkythebulldog is offline  
Old 10 August 2019, 01:27 AM   #11
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member
 
chunkythebulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Northern Monkey
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwatcher View Post
Your pain is felt by us all,

Sell a kidney?
Unfortunately the devils already got that along with my soul.
chunkythebulldog is offline  
Old 10 August 2019, 08:10 AM   #12
Dr.Teatime
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: PGH
Posts: 83
Thanks all
The references are clearly wrong- thats what i get for trying to type fast on my mobile phone!

Ill try to contact Boodles & see what they have.
Anyone have a favorite representative they can point me to?
Dr.Teatime is offline  
Old 10 August 2019, 05:47 PM   #13
Sam Philip
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Teatime View Post
Thanks all
The references are clearly wrong- thats what i get for trying to type fast on my mobile phone!

Ill try to contact Boodles & see what they have.
Anyone have a favorite representative they can point me to?
Jamie Bennett, General Manager at Boodles New Bond Street is known to get difficult to obtain pieces, give special gifts when customers say they were sent by Mr Wanfu Lai.
Sam Philip is offline  
Old 10 August 2019, 07:09 PM   #14
Russell996
2020 Pledge Member
 
Russell996's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 3,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
Jamie Bennett, General Manager at Boodles New Bond Street is known to get difficult to obtain pieces, give special gifts when customers say they were sent by Mr Wanfu Lai.
__________________
Instagram @scu16m
Russell996 is offline  
Old 10 August 2019, 09:30 PM   #15
AK797
"TRF" Member
 
AK797's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Real Name: Neil
Location: UK
Watch: ing ships roll in
Posts: 57,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
Jamie Bennett, General Manager at Boodles New Bond Street is known to get difficult to obtain pieces, give special gifts when customers say they were sent by Mr Wanfu Lai.
Joking aside, I would namedrop him and see, might help if he doesn't know what went down here.
AK797 is offline  
Old 10 August 2019, 11:27 PM   #16
RussW
"TRF" Member
 
RussW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England
Watch: 5990
Posts: 3,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Joking aside, I would namedrop him and see, might help if he doesn't know what went down here.
He might get suspicious when he gets 100 calls over the weekend asking for a 5711
RussW is offline  
Old 11 August 2019, 12:11 AM   #17
Fat_ninja
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2018
Real Name: Jonathan
Location: USA
Watch: P-01
Posts: 11,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
He might get suspicious when he gets 100 calls over the weekend asking for a 5711
He just hung up on me... but I called and said I was fat_ninja
Fat_ninja is offline  
Old 11 August 2019, 12:11 PM   #18
Rob CooK
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: England
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
Jamie Bennett, General Manager at Boodles New Bond Street is known to get difficult to obtain pieces, give special gifts when customers say they were sent by Mr Wanfu Lai.
Who is Wanfu Lai?
Rob CooK is offline  
Old 11 August 2019, 01:00 PM   #19
Dr.Teatime
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: PGH
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob CooK View Post
Who is Wanfu Lai?
A chap on the forum who used to frequently state that he would get lavish gifts from his AD when he bought expensive watches. The thread escalated from there

IIRC he was banned thereafter. Wonder whats he up to now. Karl Stumke was on Instagram for a while- heís vanished from IG also :shrug:
Dr.Teatime is offline  
Old 11 August 2019, 02:13 PM   #20
Rob CooK
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: England
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Teatime View Post
A chap on the forum who used to frequently state that he would get lavish gifts from his AD when he bought expensive watches. The thread escalated from there

IIRC he was banned thereafter. Wonder whats he up to now. Karl Stumke was on Instagram for a while- heís vanished from IG also :shrug:
I am so confused, goog53 wrote Dlindsay was Karl, then he wrote Dlindsay was Danestaff. Now you say Wanfu Lai is Karl Stumke.

Is the guy banned from IG as well?
Rob CooK is offline  
Old 10 August 2019, 11:12 PM   #21
Calatrava r
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Real Name: Bob
Location: United States
Watch: Rolex and Patek
Posts: 4,534
Most PM dress type watches are freely available new at retail from ADs. This segment of the watch market is actually very soft at the moment. Don't buy anything you're not really keen on and intend to keep a long time.
Calatrava r is offline  
Old 11 August 2019, 04:22 AM   #22
Dr.Teatime
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: PGH
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Most PM dress type watches are freely available new at retail from ADs. This segment of the watch market is actually very soft at the moment. Don't buy anything you're not really keen on and intend to keep a long time.
Excellent advice!
I will bear in mind. I have a nautilus- so Im thinking about expanding to another type of Patek.
Dr.Teatime is offline  
Old 13 August 2019, 01:03 AM   #23
Codik
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 246
What did he do to get banned?
Codik is offline  
Old 13 August 2019, 02:01 AM   #24
Dr.Teatime
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: PGH
Posts: 83
Karl or Brian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codik View Post
What did he do to get banned?
Dr.Teatime is offline  
Old 13 August 2019, 02:12 AM   #25
Sam Philip
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codik View Post
What did he do to get banned?
"Brian" was banned because he got his wires crossed and made a baseless allegation against a very well respected member who genuinely tried to help him obtain a special piece

He returned recently by creating another account and was promptly banned again
Sam Philip is offline  
Old 13 August 2019, 04:21 AM   #26
tom2517
"TRF" Member
 
tom2517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
"Brian" was banned because he got his wires crossed and made a baseless allegation against a very well respected member who genuinely tried to help him obtain a special piece

He returned recently by creating another account and was promptly banned again
Got to admit Brian is quite a character though. As I have mentioned before, he sort of claimed and possibly is the reason why Patek took off the four letter code on the warranty paper that indicated production date.

For those who doesn’t know the story (and make long story short), Brian in Dec. 2007 bought a 5074 MR from a Taiwan AD whom claimed they just got it, Brian was still new to the scene and as he gotten to know more collectors, he heard whispers that the MR he bought wasn’t brand new, and in fact several AD VIPs have tried it on and also offered at a lower price. Through research, he learned one can tell production date from the warranty paper, the MR he bought was made in July 2006, armed with this info. and upset with a non responsive AD, he contacted Patek directly asking for explanation.

寄件者
Anne-Laure Briffod

收件者
lai

副本
WU SHANG Mr. Liu Ceasar (pp.taiwan@gmail.com)

Dear Sir,

Please accept our apology for the misinformation received from our Taiwanese retailer. We shall undertake, together with our local Distributor, the necessary action in order not to repeat such incident.

Again, we do assure you that the watch you have purchased is new and the reason why the sealed plastic has been opened is because your watch has been checked by our local Service Center prior to delivery.

We have taken good note of your comments regarding our price policy.

For your information, avaibility for such model in Switzerland is between 12 to 18 months.

This morning, we spoke over the phone with our Distributor, Wu Shang Trading. We understood that you have been able to speak with our retailer Pro Hopetime who has clarified the situation on his side.

Yours sincerly,

Anne-Laure Briffod
Commercial Department
anne-laure.briffod@patek.com

Patek Philippe S.A.
Chemin du Pont-du-Centenaire 141

Brain post all those letters and sales receipts in Chinese forum, anyways, Brain was able to get refund for the MR and the AD lost the AD status, and soon after Patek no longer print the four letter code on the warranty paper. Is Brian the reason why Patek stopped printing the code? You are the judge....
tom2517 is online now  
Old 13 August 2019, 02:54 PM   #27
d11n
"TRF" Member
 
d11n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: UTC/GMT -8 hours
Watch: yes
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
Got to admit Brian is quite a character though. As I have mentioned before, he sort of claimed and possibly is the reason why Patek took off the four letter code on the warranty paper that indicated production date.

For those who doesnít know the story (and make long story short), Brian in Dec. 2007 bought a 5074 MR from a Taiwan AD whom claimed they just got it, Brian was still new to the scene and as he gotten to know more collectors, he heard whispers that the MR he bought wasnít brand new, and in fact several AD VIPs have tried it on and also offered at a lower price. Through research, he learned one can tell production date from the warranty paper, the MR he bought was made in July 2006, armed with this info. and upset with a non responsive AD, he contacted Patek directly asking for explanation.

寄件者
Anne-Laure Briffod

收件者
lai

副本
WU SHANG Mr. Liu Ceasar (pp.taiwan@gmail.com)

Dear Sir,

Please accept our apology for the misinformation received from our Taiwanese retailer. We shall undertake, together with our local Distributor, the necessary action in order not to repeat such incident.

Again, we do assure you that the watch you have purchased is new and the reason why the sealed plastic has been opened is because your watch has been checked by our local Service Center prior to delivery.

We have taken good note of your comments regarding our price policy.

For your information, avaibility for such model in Switzerland is between 12 to 18 months.

This morning, we spoke over the phone with our Distributor, Wu Shang Trading. We understood that you have been able to speak with our retailer Pro Hopetime who has clarified the situation on his side.

Yours sincerly,

Anne-Laure Briffod
Commercial Department
anne-laure.briffod@patek.com

Patek Philippe S.A.
Chemin du Pont-du-Centenaire 141

Brain post all those letters and sales receipts in Chinese forum, anyways, Brain was able to get refund for the MR and the AD lost the AD status, and soon after Patek no longer print the four letter code on the warranty paper. Is Brian the reason why Patek stopped printing the code? You are the judge....


the whole plot sounds like a Netflix movie for watch enthusiasts...
d11n is offline  
Old 13 August 2019, 04:49 PM   #28
tom2517
"TRF" Member
 
tom2517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by d11n View Post
the whole plot sounds like a Netflix movie for watch enthusiasts...
Ok so I had time to look at the thread again, it was a long time ago and my recollection was wrong, Brian didn't get refund for the MR, AD gave him a free 5712R for compensation.

And initially he posted this incident in a Taiwanese watch forum, but the forum was sponsored by ADs so they banned him. And Pro Hopetime (a big multi store AD that also carries Rolex, AP, ALS, VC, and etc) soon lost Patek AD status after posts were made online. I have no pity for shady ADs but this case cost Pro Hopetime millions......imagine all that lost Patek sales.

By the way a side note, one of the letters Patek wrote to Brian claimed all MR sales required their approval but Brian said he was able to buy the MR on the spot.
tom2517 is online now  
Old 13 August 2019, 08:47 AM   #29
Fat_ninja
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2018
Real Name: Jonathan
Location: USA
Watch: P-01
Posts: 11,783
If that was me I’d be upset too, I mean it ain’t a Calatrava...
Fat_ninja is offline  
Old 13 August 2019, 09:02 AM   #30
Dr.Teatime
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: PGH
Posts: 83
At least it wasnt a UK dealer hehehe
Dr.Teatime is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2020, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.