The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 1 September 2023, 11:03 AM   #1
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Tools!

Horotec, Horofix, Bergeon...

I've been a mechanic for 20yrs. I know the value of good tools. I also know that in niche industries, some tool manufacturers charge exorbitant amounts for a tool that claims to be higher quality, but in reality is easily replaced by something much more accessible. And that whole buy once, cry once thing.

I'm ready to start putting together my watch tools.

Those of you that work on watches, what are you must-haves...the tools you wouldn't dare replace with something else?

I believe my first purchase will be hand levers and setting tools. Then screw drivers.

Y’all got any recommendations? What do you love? Or what should I look at first? Pretend I’m starting from scratch.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2023, 09:32 AM   #2
WatchSmith
2024 Pledge Member

Bergeon screwdrivers and Dumont tweezers are a couple of my must haves. I really like the Dumont titanium tweezers and would replace them immediately if something happened to them.

If this is something to plan to stay with then buy the best and you won’t be buying again later.
WatchSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2023, 09:29 AM   #3
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post

I've been a mechanic for 20yrs. I know the value of good tools. I also know that in niche industries, some tool manufacturers charge exorbitant amounts for a tool that claims to be higher quality, but in reality is easily replaced by something much more accessible. And that whole buy once, cry once thing.

Those of you that work on watches, what are you must-haves...the tools you wouldn't dare replace with something else?

I believe my first purchase will be hand levers and setting tools. Then screw drivers.

Y’all got any recommendations? What do you love? Or what should I look at first? Pretend I’m starting from scratch.
https://www.esslinger.com/horofix-sc...tips-included/
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2023, 03:10 PM   #4
emails4me
"TRF" Member

Check out sutcliffehansen dot com under toolkits. His youtube channel also has some good advice
emails4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2024, 11:01 AM   #5
Patekfinder
Banned

I have a full bergeon set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patekfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 03:11 PM   #6
frankflapjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post

You're might need JUST a bit more than screwdrivers and hand-setting tools - for example:

- Mats
- Pliers
- Springbar tools
- Pin Pushers/Punches (for resizing bracelets)
- Bracelet holders
- Case openers (knives, rubber balls, Jaxa tools)
- Leather Buff Sticks
- Brushes (horsehair, nylon, fiberglass, etc)
- Sharpening stones for your various screwdrivers, tweezers, etc.
- Polishing Cloths (preferably microfiber)
- Magnification (loupes, visors, microscopes)
- Tweezers (stainless, antimagnetic, brass, plastic)
- Movement Holders
- Parts Trays
- Case Cushions
- Case Presses
- Pin Vices
- Oilers
- Oil cups
- Dust Blowers
- Cannon Pinion Removers
- Mainspring Winders
- Ultrasonic Cleaners (for cleaning watch parts, cases, bracelets, etc.)
- Rotary Buffer w/ buffing wheels, rouge, etc.
- Timegraphers

Plus disposable cleaning materials like

- Pegwood
- Rodico (if you do not know what Rodico is, you HAVE to buy some)
- Lint-Free Watch Paper
- Latex gloves and/or finger cots
- Cleaners/solvents for watch cleaning
- Oils & Lubricants (various different types depending on the viscosity needs of the watch parts being lubricated - typically at least 4 or 5)

Plus replacement supplies like batteries for the electronic/quartz watches in your collection.

Just to name a few extra things....

Frank
frankflapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 01:04 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^^^^ great list! ^^^^^^

If i may humbly add....

OP, avoid cheap tweezers. Learned that 'lesson' the hard way... and i never found that teeny tiny part ever again. Ever. Poof, gone, like a fart in the wind.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 01:07 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Bas, what do you use?
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 04:50 PM   #9
frankflapjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

If i may humbly add....

OP, avoid cheap tweezers. Learned that 'lesson' the hard way... and i never found that teeny tiny part ever again. Ever. Poof, gone, like a fart in the wind.
I could not agree more with this advice, in every sense. Avoid ANY cheap tools.

Cheap tools will work cheaply and poorly, even when they are new.

Excellent tools will work EXCELLENTLY for their entire lifetime, even if they are more expensive to purchase initially.

This has been my personal experience. I have purchased many inexpensive tools in an effort to be economical, only to repurchase them later when their shortcomings became evident. I've been through three phases of screwdriver sets, from entry-level mushroom brand screwdrivers on Amazon, to middling-grade screwdrivers from an eBay purchaser the brand of which I cannot recall, and finally to Bergeon. I am not saying this as a paid shill of Bergeon - they have never put a dime in my pocket. But OMG - their screwdrivers just REEK of quality, precision, ease of use and comfort in the hand, plus you can replace the drivers after they are too worn for use. Yes, they are expensive to purchase, especially as a large set. But I can say with confidence that I am done with purchasing screwdrivers for the rest of my watchmaking life :-)

I would recommend comparable brands like Horotec, Dumont, etc. My point is not to endorse a particular brand per se - just buy QUALITY tools from a QUALITY brand and you'll never have to look back.

Frank
frankflapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2024, 09:32 AM   #10
mnbookman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

If i may humbly add....

While I love my old Fontax tweezers, and have many Dumont and Bergeon of a wide variety of patterns and materials, the most important thing with tweezers is how you dress them. If the gripping surfaces are worn any tweezer will fail to do its job.

Pattern and material are important, of course, but a good stone and a good file are paramount.

If I could have only one set of tweezers for work, I’d pick a Dumont 3c in Dumostar and a good 6” file, #4 pattern.

However, almost any cheap set of tweezers can be dressed by someone with much experience to outperform expensive tweezers on the bench of someone with little experience.
mnbookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2024, 07:49 AM   #11
Ron P
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchSmith View Post
Bergeon screwdrivers and Dumont tweezers are a couple of my must haves. I really like the Dumont titanium tweezers and would replace them immediately if something happened to them.

If this is something to plan to stay with then buy the best and you won’t be buying again later.
You can easily reshape your tweezers if something happens. I use mine all day as professional and they are already over 2 year old and still oké although maybe 3 or 4 cm shorter dus to the regulair shaping up.
I do advise to use the tweezers for they are made. So use f.e. number 5 only for hairspring work. It is very easy to use the wrong tweezer for wat you are doing. Using a no3 for example to lift out the barrel arbor is a one way ticket to having to dress your tweezers. Be wise and in the beginning think every time what tweezer to use for what job.
Using an messed up tweezer will for sure make you loose parts……
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 02:16 AM   #12
MitchSF
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona, Sub, etc.
I have several Horotec tools that I’ve been well satisfied with over the years. Recently my curiosity got the better of me when I saw a crystal press copy on AliExpress, for under $50 shipped. Turns out that the red plates are made of wood on the copy!
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote