The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 July 2020, 12:05 AM   #61
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Forgive my terrible photography skills (i have none), but here is a nice photo showing a bit of progression.

GMT:

1984 16753 to 2004 16710 to 2019 BLRO

Sub:

1987 5513 to 2003 Kermit to 2019 Hulk

All watches are completely unpolished original state watches. Modern look much larger to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July_2020_Sport.jpg (138.1 KB, 229 views)
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 12:17 AM   #62
chazadams
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner / GMT
I have had the 5 digit Sub and 6 digit for years and have put them both through lots of hard use. I could care less about the aesthetic part of the lugs. Pics up close show the difference in a big way but from a short distance that fades quick to these eyes. Both references are absolutely amazing regardless. Not here to argue point either way.

I do like the FEEL of the SubC case better than 5 digit. The case feels and sits extremely nice and flat on my wrist. It's a bit bigger and and extremely readable on the water.

If I want to feel or look at a "daintier" watch on my wrist, the OP39 or BB58 fits that space.

Let's be real here, everyone is super jacked up about the September release and the slimmer lugs to come and hence these threads. Excitement brews, this forum is awesome.
chazadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 12:20 AM   #63
MacanS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk, Z blue
I love the wrist presence of the ceramic sub. It takes the iconic look and adds a bold silhouette. I don’t know if would love it had much of the lugs were slimmer
MacanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 12:24 AM   #64
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
No sept surprise - look at the new gmt super case, slightly different angle lugs with new movement. Will be interested to see if any new colors are introduced though.
JRell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 02:10 AM   #65
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
This is true. If Rolex had introduced the current case in the 1980s, and then changed it to a 5-digit style case more recently, there would be zillions of threads complaining about pointy, pencil-sharpener lugs and lamenting about how the previous case was 'classic'...
So true. I could imagine all the disdain for making a true masculine dive watch “feminine” and all sorts of other descriptors.

This is definitely an isolated social media driven and five digit sponsored very small tiny sample of the population and seemingly only vocalized by people who’ve ever visited TRF.

What is definitely not up for argument or debate is that the Submariner has never been more expensive or more popular. the new “big lug” Submariner offers so much more. I wouldn’t compromise all it’s benefits for skinny lugs that with a couple polishes starts to play into the over polish craze. For me, it’s a much better watch and I don’t think that’s subjective.
For all the whining, every single one sells and it’s market value remains strong as ever.
It’s a best seller. Facts.

It’s puzzling the amount of time some dedicate to constantly poking at a non issue, just pick the one you love and enjoy life.
It’s painfully obvious by the dozens of threads that you won’t convince anyone who has a preference to change their mind. When I see these threads I don’t think, oh dear, after the fifth thread regarding this, I finally agree, getting rid of my watch.

Photos don’t tell the real story. On the wrist the ring lock system text is nearly invisible, watches don’t look as huge on smaller wrists and the Submariner doesn’t look square and I literally laughed when someone with seemingly 50/100 vision complained the rehaut Rolex text bothered him.
I remember about ten years ago, Tourneau had the new Sub with a NOS LV in the case. I knew about watches but wasn’t a full on wis. The new one looked better and felt more high quality. They couldn’t sell the LV. I eventually chose a Planet Ocean 2500.
Iirc the price for the LV was 6900$. The better collectors watch for sure and the one I prefer today for its unique design cues(not only skinny lugs) but back then it was all about which one feels like a quality piece and which one looks better.

Enjoy your watches in health guys. All of them, we’re fortunate to own them.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 02:18 AM   #66
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
The lugs make the watch look almost rectangular giving a very blocky look. The older Subs and new SD's have a much more graceful appearance, like the lugs sort of "flow" around the watch.
Fully agree.
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 02:36 AM   #67
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazadams View Post
I have had the 5 digit Sub and 6 digit for years and have put them both through lots of hard use. I could care less about the aesthetic part of the lugs. Pics up close show the difference in a big way but from a short distance that fades quick to these eyes. Both references are absolutely amazing regardless. Not here to argue point either way.

I do like the FEEL of the SubC case better than 5 digit. The case feels and sits extremely nice and flat on my wrist. It's a bit bigger and and extremely readable on the water.

If I want to feel or look at a "daintier" watch on my wrist, the OP39 or BB58 fits that space.

Let's be real here, everyone is super jacked up about the September release and the slimmer lugs to come and hence these threads. Excitement brews, this forum is awesome.
September release of slimmer lugs? has the change been confirmed?
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 02:50 AM   #68
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
So true. I could imagine all the disdain for making a true masculine dive watch “feminine” and all sorts of other descriptors.

This is definitely an isolated social media driven and five digit sponsored very small tiny sample of the population and seemingly only vocalized by people who’ve ever visited TRF.

What is definitely not up for argument or debate is that the Submariner has never been more expensive or more popular. the new “big lug” Submariner offers so much more. I wouldn’t compromise all it’s benefits for skinny lugs that with a couple polishes starts to play into the over polish craze. For me, it’s a much better watch and I don’t think that’s subjective.
For all the whining, every single one sells and it’s market value remains strong as ever.

It’s puzzling the amount of time some dedicate to constantly poking at a non issue, just pick the one you love and enjoy life.
It’s painfully obvious by the dozens of threads that you won’t convince anyone who has a preference to change their mind. When I see these threads I don’t think, oh dear, after the fifth thread regarding this, I finally agree, getting rid of my watch.

Photos don’t tell the real story. On the wrist the ring lock system text is nearly invisible, watches don’t look as huge on smaller wrists and the Submariner doesn’t look square and I literally laughed when someone with seemingly 50/100 vision complained the rehaut Rolex text bothered him.
I remember about ten years ago, Tourneau had the new Sub with a NOS LV in the case. I knew about watches but wasn’t a full on wis. The new one looked better and felt more high quality. They couldn’t sell the LV. I eventually chose a Planet Ocean 2500.
Iirc the price for the LV was 6900$. The better collectors watch for sure and the one I prefer today for its unique design cues(not only skinny lugs) but back then it was all about which one feels like a quality piece and which one looks better.

Fact
Old 14 July 2020, 02:55 AM   #69
chazadams
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner / GMT
Pure rumor on the lugs and boy did Rashid.bk just nail it with his post!
chazadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 03:03 AM   #70
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post

Great post thanks for sharing.
Old 14 July 2020, 03:40 AM   #71
synrrgy
"TRF" Member

I love the current Sub-C and the dimensions. On my wrist it fits perfect.
synrrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 04:05 AM   #72
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

No one seems to have a problem with the lugs on the Hulk for some reason, as if they’re different than the black reference �� Lol
Old 14 July 2020, 04:11 AM   #73
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
6 digit lugs are much longer than most realize. And smartphone cameras actually skew the photo shape and proportions to look different than in the flesh.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 04:13 AM   #74
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
This is true. If Rolex had introduced the current case in the 1980s, and then changed it to a 5-digit style case more recently, there would be zillions of threads complaining about pointy, pencil-sharpener lugs and lamenting about how the previous case was 'classic'...

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 04:32 AM   #75
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
This

No one complained about the 6204s....at least not recently. But very rectangular design of the case/lugs/end link integration and just as much if not more of a design outlier in its time. It's just of my opinion, but I really think the 5 digit is more the exception to the Submariner line over the years and was when Rolex "Date Justed" the Sub. Prior 4 digits had nice rectangular case/designs and some had Maxi dials. IMO 6 digit has most similar design. Though 5 digit was around 30 years or so, so it just has become the norm now as what a Sub should be. Personally, I do think they are all great though.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 04:57 AM   #76
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKay View Post
No one seems to have a problem with the lugs on the Hulk for some reason, as if they’re different than the black reference �� Lol

I can’t argue about the thickness. It is a fact, not opinion. However, I do agree in person this is not an issue. In some pics they look worse. Also, it is a forum complaint like t-rex hands on Explorer mk1. No one outside of WIS types would notice or care.

To your point above, no one complains about GMT master or hulk. The cool kids in town get an exception apparently. It is laughable.

I do like the 16610 proportions over 116610, but that doesnt mean I dislike the case. Just prefer classic. On flip side, I’d take ceramic bezel, maxi dial, bracelet, solid links, etc. all day, every day over any 5dig model, which is why I have and love my 116610ln.

I have a bb58 for classic look. Wouldn’t trade it for a 14060 even if they were same price.

Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:33 AM   #77
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
I should also mention while I prefer the 5 digit cases, and thinner lugs, the bracelet, clasp and GLIDELOCK are life changing improvements.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:36 AM   #78
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Have you ever seen a five series Submariner? The lugs are definitely much wider on the Sub C. You’re just getting used to it.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 06:15 AM   #79
thefollandgnat
"TRF" Member

The lugs are Charles to the bracelet's Di. They simply don't fit together.
thefollandgnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 06:22 AM   #80
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by htrap2294 View Post
Yeah, that still looks wide/thick to me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
yeah I have the 116610 and she is wide and thick, but thats how I like them
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 06:43 AM   #81
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I have tried. I'm convinced that they are big. Better in person, the dark, on wrist, on someone else, half under a cuff. I've tried them all. And they aren't.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 08:39 AM   #82
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I owned the watch and the lugs are certainly fat and killed the watch for me. I tried to justify the watch in my head but ultimately realized that I can't own a watch that I constantly have to question, especially with that much money put into it.

I do agree that it looks way better on wrist, rather than in off wrist shots where it frankly looks odd and bad. Still, the proportions are simply screwed up. I get it, the people have spoken and most people could care less. I'm just a whiny forum enthusiast that is an extreme minority.

I think people that prefer a slab on the wrist will naturally be drawn to the watch, much like a DAY-DATE II fan. I prefer classic proportions. My eyes just tell me that. I have nothing against a larger Sub. Look at the SD43 with its near perfect proportions. That is how you make a watch bigger, not fattening the lugs so a 40mm watch wears more like a 41-42mm.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 09:36 AM   #83
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Those fat crown guards, though
Old 14 July 2020, 09:42 AM   #84
JRell
"TRF" Member

Lol honestly it is not only the worst watch I have ever owned, it is the worst thing on earth...no the universe! I am tossing my 114060. I would give it away but I am afraid it will be so heavy it will break someones arm, or they will get stuck somewhere because of the huge lugs, it will get caught on something and they will get trapped!
Old 14 July 2020, 10:04 AM   #85
JRell
"TRF" Member

Is that a SubC in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
Old 14 July 2020, 10:13 AM   #86
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKay View Post
September release of slimmer lugs? has the change been confirmed?
No.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 10:16 AM   #87
BlakeA
"TRF" Member

I own ( and daily wear) a 114060. Agree that the lugs look more out of place in pics than in the flesh, but the large crown guards put me off just a little. I still love the watch after owning for two years and would only (possibly) trade for a 14060 if it were near mint with a recent RSC service, but I know that’s not gonna happen.
I’m sure whatever Rolex was thinking about the design of the 114060, they knew they would sell all they make.
BlakeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 10:31 AM   #88
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Lugs in the Sub look massive to me. Many prefer the fat lugs though as they make the Sub look and wear bigger.

Check out the SD43's. See how they taper and almost merge with the bracelet. A work of art.

126600-0001.jpg
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 10:42 AM   #89
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Rollworks can cut them to whatever shape you want for a price that is less than the grey premium.
Have you confirmed that by chance? A couple years ago i contacted LAWW and wanted them to shave a 116610LV to a 5 digit case proportion and they told me no go.

I would happily entrust my 114060 to the right hands.
Old 14 July 2020, 10:43 AM   #90
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Lugs in the Sub look massive to me. Many prefer the fat lugs though as they make the Sub look and wear bigger.

Check out the SD43's. See how they taper and almost merge with the bracelet. A work of art.

Attachment 1148986
I love my 114060. I will keep and will be my only super case Rolex with larger lugs. Rolex is going to put the new movement and seems like a no-brainer to taper the lugs like they did from the former to current gmt. While that is not enough for me to change (I don’t think) it is going to be a nice refresher. I am on the waiting list with my ad to have the choice to trade-in as he said the 114060 value will go up as there will be some the want the bigger lugs and don’t need the new movement. Who knows with Rolex what they will do, but sounds logical to me.