The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 July 2020, 11:51 PM   #1
PRabbit
"TRF" Member

Brand new DJ running slow

Hello all!

Purchased a DJ41 two days ago. My first ever Rolex. Really like it so far. But it’s currently running slow enough to annoy me, considering the -2/+2 claim. It’s running -6/7 spd. This may seem inconsequential, but accuracy of the automatic is one of my OCD part of watch collecting. Especially when my Omega AT and GS SBGR307 are both running within +1 spd.

What would be next step? Is this just the movement working itself in and I should give it some more time to come in to itself? If not, is the only solution to send it in the Rolex to regulate? Or would independent watchmaker be fine? I don’t want to void a 5 year warranty.

This really sucks to have to possibly part with it just after acquiring. But I know 100% I won’t be happy with it unless it’s running as accurate as Rolex is capable. Obligatory pics below. Thanks for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B8AE3C60-FA0F-4F45-8857-055AD437B2F5.jpeg (106.9 KB, 307 views)
PRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:59 PM   #2
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
Independent watchmaker will invalidate your warranty. Especially if it could be proved...

I would go only to Rolex for any issues, doubly so if it is actually under the original warranty!

Think you should give it some time for the watch to settle (not sure how/if this actually happens and how long it takes - the watch could have been sitting in a case for a while so probably something to do with the lubricant needing to work itself through the mechanics) but won’t hurt to see if it changes after a few months. I dare say you will likely be checking this obsessively so will know if it does..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 12:06 AM   #3
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Certainly give it more like 2 weeks than 2 days.

I have watches that change their timing consistency all the time.

Some watches I may not wear from several months and then when I give them some wrist time they behave differently.

One particular speedmaster has a very temperamental personality, going from a flat time keeper to a -12 timekeeper if not worn, only to restore accuracy after a couple of weeks of wear.

I have other watches which change based on the wrist I wear them on, I do alternate between right and left.

You need to give it a fair run, and some time.

45 FULL winds, sync it with whatever time source you wish, hodinkee APP have a nice clock feature, wear it and rest it crown up overnight.

Position is a factor, as is daily use.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 12:53 AM   #4
amanbra
"TRF" Member

-7 would bother me but like others have said give it a good run first. My Daytona went from +6 to +3 after two months so you never know.

In saying that my two 3235 watches though have had zero change after a year and six months respectively. One is -0.5 other is +2. Take it into rsc after a month if it doesn’t get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 01:11 AM   #5
Xenon
Banned

Several posts about the slow DJ41 issue:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=9745972

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=627994

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=8928082
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 01:28 AM   #6
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Had the same issue with my DJ41 bought new in June 2017. It has been reported that the earlier 3235 movements were not lubricated at one point (seconds pivot wheel I think). Sent mine to RSC under warranty in October 2018 and it came back in four weeks. All has been well since, most recently averaging +0.5 to +1 s/day.. There is some debate however that a simple lubrication is the ultimate fix.
Old 14 July 2020, 02:08 AM   #7
PRabbit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Certainly give it more like 2 weeks than 2 days.

I have watches that change their timing consistency all the time.

Some watches I may not wear from several months and then when I give them some wrist time they behave differently.

One particular speedmaster has a very temperamental personality, going from a flat time keeper to a -12 timekeeper if not worn, only to restore accuracy after a couple of weeks of wear.

I have other watches which change based on the wrist I wear them on, I do alternate between right and left.

You need to give it a fair run, and some time.

45 FULL winds, sync it with whatever time source you wish, hodinkee APP have a nice clock feature, wear it and rest it crown up overnight.

Position is a factor, as is daily use.
Thanks!

I just fully wound it and reset it just in case the AD didn’t wind it very much. However, shouldn’t be the case since I’ve also worn it every hour since purchased. But I hope that helps to get the innards worked out.

My speedy is the exact same way. First couple days after winding, it runs up to +7spd. But after a couple days without dying, it starts running about +2 or 3 spd.

I’ll definitely give it some time. I’m enjoying the honeymoon too much to part with it now. But it’s something I know I absolutely have to get done. It will bother me too much when my other watches are running correctly. Especially at this price point.
Old 14 July 2020, 02:10 AM   #8
PRabbit
"TRF" Member

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!

Also, concerning warranty, if I have an AD on-site watchmaker lubricate it/regulate/etc. is that kosher? Or will any tinkering outside of the RSC result in voided warranty?
Old 14 July 2020, 02:20 AM   #9
Annan
"TRF" Member

Because it's a warranty issue they will most likely want it sent to RSC. That was my experience.
Old 14 July 2020, 02:28 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Next step is to have AD send it to RSC for re-regulation. Did that for a new Sub that was running +7/day.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 03:02 AM   #11
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

It was an impulse buy. Return it and get the SD43 instead.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 03:34 AM   #12
PRabbit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
It was an impulse buy. Return it and get the SD43 instead.
You are putting an idea in my head.

They do have a couple other DJ41s in stock I could probably swap for. Do you know what happens with the current watch in this case? Does the watch become pre-owned? Or are they able to sell it as new again? Only reason I ask is I don’t want to screw the sales lady over. She was very nice and helpful with me.
Old 14 July 2020, 03:35 AM   #13
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

The 3235 strikes again. Paging Bas...
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 04:10 AM   #14
Annan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRabbit View Post
You are putting an idea in my head.

They do have a couple other DJ41s in stock I could probably swap for. Do you know what happens with the current watch in this case? Does the watch become pre-owned? Or are they able to sell it as new again? Only reason I ask is I don’t want to screw the sales lady over. She was very nice and helpful with me.
The SD 43 also has the 3235 movement. I'm no expert and certainly not a watchmaker but from all the reports it seems the 3235 simply has some problems, specifically the lubrication issue. Be aware that all DJ41s and all the updated DJ36s have the 3235 so "swapping" will not necessarily fix anything for you.
Old 14 July 2020, 04:32 AM   #15
Annan
"TRF" Member

Since your DJ is only a couple of days old it is probably best, as already said, to give it a while longer to see if there is any improvement. If not, then consult with your AD.
Old 14 July 2020, 05:02 AM   #16
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRabbit View Post
Thanks everybody for the suggestions!

Also, concerning warranty, if I have an AD on-site watchmaker lubricate it/regulate/etc. is that kosher? Or will any tinkering outside of the RSC result in voided warranty?
I was told by a Rolex AD that has an on-site watchmaker, that as soon as anyone other than a RSC opens the caseback, the warranty will be voided.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 06:26 AM   #17
PRabbit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
I was told by a Rolex AD that has an on-site watchmaker, that as soon as anyone other than a RSC opens the caseback, the warranty will be voided.
I appreciate the heads up on that one.