The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 July 2020, 10:19 AM   #61
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
I took Paul’s original post to more broadly mean not much good luck materialising of late. So, a more personal response than just to the media. Personally, it has been an unparalleled annus horribilis.

So long as people are kind to others and respectful of differences, I think that’s what matters. The latter is what’s at risk when trying to block out the bad news, if all you ever hear or see only confirms one coherent worldview. This is also obviously at risk if you get most of your news from one source, be it a newspaper or TV show, or social media. Need a “balanced diet”.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 05:54 PM   #62
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Just waking up in the morning is the good news.
A lot of what happens after that is up to us.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 06:23 PM   #63
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Just waking up in the morning is the good news.
A lot of what happens after that is up to us.
Have to agree, we can decide to be happy or not, it’s all about our own mindset
Old 13 July 2020, 06:39 PM   #64
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

The good news is.......this thread won't last forever.
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 07:01 PM   #65
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
The good news is that Leeds won and are on the cusp of promotion, I thought we might get a draw at best yesterday.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 09:52 PM   #66
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You’re preaching to the choir brother. I’m 32 and avoid it like the plague.
Maybe that’s why every ad on a news broadcast or channel is for hearing aids, shoe inserts, medications, walk-in bathtubs, Medicare supplements, reverse mortgages, Velcro shoes and power-lift recliner chairs.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:15 PM   #67
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Maybe that’s why every ad on a news broadcast or channel is for hearing aids, shoe inserts, medications, walk-in bathtubs, Medicare supplements, reverse mortgages, Velcro shoes and power-lift recliner chairs.

probably right Joey. Also should be noted I don’t have A TV package just HBO/SHO Netflix prime etc.

I do check headlines on a handful of outlets daily but I don’t sit home with CNN or Fox running all morning like my mom. She gets so angry about the content but keeps watching everyday because she must stay well informed of the worlds f****ery!
Old 13 July 2020, 11:32 PM   #68
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Only 6 days til I pick up my new pup! Good news to me!!!!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 12:05 AM   #69
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
COVID plus BHR on fire?! This week is off to a bang. Hope you can't smell the burning up by you, Paul. Wish ya well & hope you're onto whole foods & past soup by now.
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 01:05 AM   #70
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Totally agree. I have un-followed or de-friended more people on FB in the past month than I ever have. The human race is digressing.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 01:15 AM   #71
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
We got some good news yesterday. My son's step-daughter had a sore throat and they had her tested for the virus. Came back negative. Were it positive my son, DIL, and grandson as well as my wife and I would have been exposed as well. Maybe not earth shattering good news, but for us it was.

And BTW I thoroughly enjoy my power lift recliner which is a big help for this old crippled guy.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 01:29 AM   #72
keithl
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Here's an actual headline recap:

‘Murder Hornets’ in the U.S.
Massive Sahara desert dust plume closing in on the United States
"Bunny Ebola" is spreading in the Southwestern US

Can't wait for what's next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
To wake up just one morning to some GOOD news?
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 02:26 AM   #73
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
“Nothing is good or bad, thinking makes it so.” - William Shakespeare

I’ve learned not to dwell on the things in my life I perceive as negative and instead look forward to the positive that will come from them. I also make a conscious effort every day to do good and set an example for those around me.

For myself, focusing on the good, beautiful, small things significantly makes my day better and easier to swallow the less than positive news.

All that being said, I stick to my local news stations for the news every morning. I find they’re a little less biased and I very much like to know what is going on in my community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 04:11 AM   #74
Undefeatable
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
As someone who has been trying to manage anxiety for awhile, I noticed that once this COVID thing kicked off, I was addicted to bad news. I would click on headlines that were filled with "shocking" news and would get myself into a pit of worry.

I also noticed that the news makes money on how many people click, so the more shocking the headline, the better for them. I would click on a article saying some shocking "new discovery", only to read the full article and find out they cherry picked some data point to make something stick out in the sea of news articles.

I am not the type to stick my head in the sand and ignore whats going on around me, but these past few months made me realize how much I was falling into the pit of news was specfically made to make me click on it.

I have since unsubscribed to most news outlets and will catch up once a week or so. What I have noticed is that at the end of the day, my knowledge of the world is about the same without reading daily headlines that the end is near. Most of these doom and gloom articles are there to make money and I don't walk away with any more information than i had before, just more anxiety.

I listen to scientists, not reporters now. I keep as safe as I can, wear a mask, avoid going out besides for outdoor exercise and food shopping, wash my hands a ton, and try and make progress in life as best as possible.
Undefeatable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 04:12 AM   #75
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Totally agree. I have un-followed or de-friended more people on FB in the past month than I ever have. The human race is digressing.
I dumped FB three years ago and haven’t missed it ever. I have a Twitter account for following up-to-date news. In the 8 years I’ve had the account, I’ve blocked over 9,000 people for being dumbazzes or disgusting.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 04:25 AM   #76
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Stop watching the news. Humans aren’t meant to get news updates for the entire world everyday. And by news I mean they tell you every horrible thing that happened that day and none of the good. I’m convinced it trains people to be paranoid and to expect bad outcomes.
Great point. Crazy stuff has been happening for thousands of years. We just weren't connected 24/7 to social media. Reminds me of the SouthPark where everyone was Yelp reviewer....today everyone is a journalist, albeit a poor journalist, but the bar isn't set very high.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 04:26 AM   #77
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I dumped FB three years ago and haven’t missed it ever. I have a Twitter account for following up-to-date news. In the 8 years I’ve had the account, I’ve blocked over 9,000 people for being dumbazzes or disgusting.
Social media really brings the worst out of people. We're losing the concept of face to face respectful dialogue and debate. Best thing I ever have done, was to dump social media.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:41 AM   #78
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Social media really brings the worst out of people. We're losing the concept of face to face respectful dialogue and debate. Best thing I ever have done, was to dump social media.
I recall being taught as a kid to never discuss politics with friends. Social media killed that concept and with it, cordial debate. People just post whatever trash they want from whatever outlets say what they feel is true. Then demonize those who speak against said posts. Its awful.
Old 14 July 2020, 07:29 AM   #79
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
It's not digressing. I think you're just seeing people's true intentions that they have otherwise kept hidden.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 11:22 AM   #80
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Would it really be too much to ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeatable View Post
Most of these doom and gloom articles are there to make money and I don't walk away with any more information than i had before, just more anxiety.
Well said.

It was the purpose of news/media to inform. Now it is to inflame.
Old 14 July 2020, 08:59 PM   #81
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
It's not digressing. I think you're just seeing people's true intentions that they have otherwise kept hidden.

Well then that's even more sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 15 July 2020, 02:28 AM   #82
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Well, since this is my thread I reserve the right to complain more. California just closed all the gyms again, going there every day was the only thing that kept me from being found swinging from my shower curtain. I’ll ask again: Is it really too much to ask to wake up to some good (f*£¥ing) news!?!?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 02:34 AM   #83
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Well, since this is my thread I reserve the right to complain more. California just closed all the gyms again, going there every day was the only thing that kept me from being found swinging from my shower curtain. I’ll ask again: Is it really too much to ask to wake up to some good (f*£¥ing) news!?!?
back to hiking
Old 15 July 2020, 02:36 AM   #84
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Does it really need to be so dark...
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 02:39 AM   #85
JChips
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Time to put in a home gym ?

JChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 02:42 AM   #86
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Paul, I’m assuming your shower curtain reference was a figure of speech/joke. If not, please seek help.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 02:45 AM   #87
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChips View Post
Time to put in a home gym ?

You may be right Chips, I enjoy running on a treadmill (I know, you running purists are rolling your eyes, but I just prefer the old mil). That would probably help, but it was a bit more them just the exercise. I walked up the gym, about two miles, did my running, a little weight training, and walked home. It was a feeling of accomplishment; hard to explain. I’m these dark days it was the one thing I could get out of the house and I looked forward to every day.
Old 15 July 2020, 02:47 AM   #88
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Paul, I’m assuming your shower curtain reference was a figure of speech/joke. If not, please seek help.
Thanks Cru, we’ve never met but I have considered you a friend for many years, I appreciate the concern. Don’t worry, I am way too fat for my shower curtain to hold my weight
Old 15 July 2020, 02:52 AM   #89
JChips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You may be right Chips, I enjoy running on a treadmill (I know, you running purists are rolling your eyes, but I just prefer the old mil). That would probably help, but it was a bit more them just the exercise. I walked up the gym, about two miles, did my running, a little weight training, and walked home. It was a feeling of accomplishment; hard to explain. I’m these dark days it was the one thing I could get out of the house and I looked forward to every day.

Roger that. Makes perfect sense. For what it’s worth, there are ways to replace the gym pt with a routine at home / outside. I’m sure you already are aware of this, but if you need some suggestions- reach out. Happy to help.

JChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 02:55 AM   #90
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks Cru, we’ve never met but I have considered you a friend for many years, I appreciate the concern. Don’t worry, I am way too fat for my shower curtain to hold my weight

Well, then, I’m very glad to hear of your weight gain!

In these crazy times, one can never be too sure, which is why I wrote what I wrote.

Hope today’s measures in California will get you all back to moving in the right direction.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote