The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 December 2018, 10:55 AM   #1
JacksonStone
Banned

Servicing a Headwind

I just ordered a Headwind - blue dial, fully brushed case and bracelet, faceted Pilot. It'll be a few days before it gets here. I don't know the service history, but I'm anticipating the possibility of needing to get it serviced. Given its age (originally purchased in 2001 - model disco'd in 2005), is this something best left to BUSA, or an independent? I've not dealt with servicing an older Breitling before, so this is new territory for me.

Two areas of concern: (1) Preserving the hands. I don't mind if they're replaced, as long as the replacements are of the original design. Newer-style hands will ruin the look of the watch, imo. (2) Making sure the brushed finish is original to the watch, and not a custom job BUSA will want to alter. As far as I know, the Headwind came in both brushed and polished versions, so I'm assuming this is a stock finish, but I don't know that. Is there a way to find that out?

Also, if I send it to BUSA, is it advisable to ship it myself, or go through an AD?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2018, 01:14 PM   #2
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

I've had my Colt GMT serviced through my AD and it went great, came back looking new and running better.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2018, 02:54 PM   #3
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
I've had my Colt GMT serviced through my AD and it went great, came back looking new and running better.
Thanks, Justin. Do you mean your AD did the actual servicing with their own watchmaker, or they handled the shipping to BUSA?
Old 3 December 2018, 05:32 PM   #4
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I thought it had an ETA?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2018, 05:33 PM   #5
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I thought it had an ETA?
It does.
Old 4 December 2018, 07:10 AM   #6
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Breitling does not sell parts to independents. It's best left to BUSA. You can tell them to leave the brushed nature, if you are worried. Breitling movements are different than stock ETA, the same way Tudor and IWC movements are different. There are different parts and the parts that are used are often inspected and machined further to better tolerances. Using an independent is possible but you would just have an ETA and not a Breitling modified ETA, it would be difficult to ever go back to BUSA service if parts were replaced. The Warranty is uesful too.

You may get hit with a list of optional replacement pieces, if you take them all I would guess it will be about 1400 if you do basic service around 500-800.

The hands get replaced on almost all models and I believe the headwind will be replaced. The hand replacement is up to the technician, they will be different but they will match the watch.

My suggestion is pressure test the watch, look at the watch carefully, if it runs consistent and within cosc and there are no issues with like AR coating then you may just want to let her run for another 5 years. As an aside I really like the headwind, and the brushed faceted pilot is my favorite, I have it on an Blackbird Big Date.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2018, 07:30 AM   #7
JacksonStone
Banned

Sound advice, Breitlings. Much appreciated. I'll see how it's running once I get it, and proceed from there.

Yeah, I discovered the brushed, faceted Pilot on the Blackbird Big Date, as well. I never owned one, but it stuck as my favorite Breitling bracelet style, and one of my favorites of any brand. The Headwind has been a bit of a dark-horse grail of mine for some time; they just don't come up often in this specific combo, from a seller I'm willing to chance. I finally got lucky...I hope.
Old 4 December 2018, 01:17 PM   #8
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Thanks, Justin. Do you mean your AD did the actual servicing with their own watchmaker, or they handled the shipping to BUSA?
Yeah, they're Breitling certified and should be able to help.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2018, 01:55 PM   #9
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
Yeah, they're Breitling certified and should be able to help.
Oh yeah...I forgot who your AD is.
Old 14 December 2018, 07:55 AM   #10
Perry8912
"TRF" Member

Perry8912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 06:53 AM   #11
JTejeda320
Banned

I bought a Headwind for my father earlier this year and had it serviced at European Watch Co. in Boston and it came back looking and functioning as new. They did not replace any parts and polished it as it came from factory. I would highly recommend them for servicing any ETA based movement.
JTejeda320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:18 AM   #12
JacksonStone
Banned

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. The watch arrived, is in great shape, and is keeping excellent time. It wouldn't seem to require servicing at this time.