The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 January 2019, 09:38 AM   #1
BzKneez
"TRF" Member

Registration at RSC question for you guys

Hey guys so I bought a WG DD from grey market. I'll need an extra 1.25 link for it to fit properly; which can only be bought at RSC.

I called them today and was told since i'm not the original owner I will have to do/pay for a registration/authentication service in order to purchase the 1.25 link.

I don't understand the need for the service, can someone please explain this to me. I have the warranty card if that makes any difference.

thanks guys
BzKneez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 09:56 AM   #2
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Sorry to hear! That sounds like non-sense though. I think it's dumb enough that you can't just call, provide your model and serial number and order the part (like how Omega or AP operate), but having to pay for an authentication service would drive me insane. I'd call a local AD and see if they can order the part for you.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:00 AM   #3
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzKneez View Post
Hey guys so I bought a WG DD from grey market. I'll need an extra 1.25 link for it to fit properly; which can only be bought at RSC.

I called them today and was told since i'm not the original owner I will have to do/pay for a registration/authentication service in order to purchase the 1.25 link.

I don't understand the need for the service, can someone please explain this to me. I have the warranty card if that makes any difference.

thanks guys
Why can't you buy it at your local Rolex AD? It is money in their pocket, after all and it's not like you are asking for warranty service. Sounds ridiculous. Search for an AD who will sell you the link. Don't say where the watch came from.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:03 AM   #4
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Why can't you buy it at your local Rolex AD? It is money in their pocket, after all and it's not like you are asking for warranty service. Sounds ridiculous. Search for an AD who will sell you the link. Don't say where the watch came from.
Right, bring it into an AD for the link.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:04 AM   #5
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
I'd try some local ADs first and see what they have to say.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:07 AM   #6
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Your local AD should be able to source it for you. While I don't have any experience with DD, I bought two extra links from my AD with no issues: one extra link for my 16613LB that I was the original owner of, and one replacement one for my 16710 that I am the second owner of.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:17 AM   #7
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:

thanks guys
They need to authenticate the watch before they can hand over the genuine Rolex parts. This is to prevent Rolex parts from falling into the hands of fakers and frankenstein makers. They don't work for free and therefore the logical thing is to ask you to pay for their work on your behalf.

If you do work for someone, then they pay you, right?
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:53 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . . I called them today and was told since i'm not the original owner I will have to do/pay for a registration/authentication service in order to purchase the 1.25 link.

. . .
I have never heard of an RSC asking this. I have taken my watch directly into an RSC for fitting a couple of extra links on a watch that I had purchased without the full complement. They installed them and fitted the watch on the spot.
Old 17 January 2019, 11:22 AM   #9
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
News to me, but... as long as it's not exorbitant, sounds okay. You get a piece of paper for your watch that won't hurt you if you ever do sell it.

Alternatively, you could ask your AD to order it for you. That's how I got mine.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 11:22 AM   #10
BzKneez
"TRF" Member

hey guys, thanks for the advice.

I'll try sourcing it from some AD's in my area and see how that goes.

I just don't get the whole authentication service part from RSC
Old 17 January 2019, 11:37 AM   #11
BzKneez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
They need to authenticate the watch before they can hand over the genuine Rolex parts. This is to prevent Rolex parts from falling into the hands of fakers and frankenstein makers. They don't work for free and therefore the logical thing is to ask you to pay for their work on your behalf.

but if someone were to make a franken watch, wouldn't they use non-genuine parts? Why would someone come in and pay full retail for a part of a fake watch?

What work are they doing exactly? I'm paying them money for a part that I need for my watch. If I needed to pay them to physically add the links and adjust my bracelet, i'd understand and pay them.

It just doesn't make any sense to me about registration/authentication to purchase an extra link. If anything, if they're worried about it being genuine, they should do the authentication service themselves instead of me having to pay for it.
Old 17 January 2019, 11:46 AM   #12
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
but if someone were to make a franken watch, wouldn't they use non-genuine parts? Why would someone come in and pay full retail for a part of a fake watch?

What work are they doing exactly? I'm paying them money for a part that I need for my watch. If I needed to pay them to physically add the links and adjust my bracelet, i'd understand and pay them.

It just doesn't make any sense to me about registration/authentication to purchase an extra link. If anything, if they're worried about it being genuine, they should do the authentication service themselves instead of me having to pay for it.
It is B.S., plain and simple. You local Rolex dealer can order the link for your watch. Just be sure not to open up a can of worms and tell him where or how you bought it. It is none of his business. You are just there to purchase a simple link for your bracelet. Should be easy peasy.
Old 17 January 2019, 11:49 AM   #13
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I have never heard of an RSC asking this. I have taken my watch directly into an RSC for fitting a couple of extra links on a watch that I had purchased without the full complement. They installed them and fitted the watch on the spot.
Seems like we're in a Brave New (Rolex) World. Maybe thy're afraid someone's building fake Rolexes.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 11:50 AM   #14
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
It's nonsense. Try a couple of ADs and see if they can help you out.

Quote:
Just be sure not to open up a can of worms and tell him where or how you bought it. It is none of his business. You are just there to purchase a simple link for your bracelet. Should be easy peasy.
Very good point here.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 11:52 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s also a bit awkward sourcing the link from an AD when you bought gray

The authentication is about $150 if memory serves, and IMO it may be worth doing if you decide to do anything else down the road direct with RSC FWIW
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 11:52 AM   #16
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
If someone performs a service, I pay for that service. If someone sells me a good, I pay for that good. I don't pay for a service if I want a good, or vice versa.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 12:24 PM   #17
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Why would that not be the case if it were SS. I ordered and bought links and half links for my SS pieces with no problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 12:34 PM   #18
peterpl
Banned

Never happened to me before
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 12:37 PM   #19
Tony8959
"TRF" Member

If you just say you bought used I don’t see an issue. The warranty is transferable and to me they shouldn’t have to go through an authentication to sell you a link.
Tony8959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 12:40 PM   #20
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

The authentication is about $150 if memory serves, and IMO it may be worth doing if you decide to do anything else down the road direct with RSC FWIW
Why? Many watch wearers gain and lose weight and such their wrist size may change over the years. No AD should question the request to order a 1.5 link for a Day Date. The watch is hard to fit anyway with it's lack of adjustment. Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill here.
Old 17 January 2019, 12:41 PM   #21
BzKneez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

you're right, it's worth it down the road. It's just that i'm picking up the watch on Friday and then in order for them to authenticate it is another 7 business days for me to get the watch back. I honestly just don't want to wait that many days.
Old 17 January 2019, 01:08 PM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Why? Many watch wearers gain and lose weight and such their wrist size may change over the years. No AD should question the request to order a 1.5 link for a Day Date. The watch is hard to fit anyway with it's lack of adjustment. Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill here.
Not making molehills brother, just saying it wouldn’t be my style to take a watch I bought from a gray to an AD that’s all

Personally, I’d pay the authentication and deal with RSC directly.
Old 17 January 2019, 01:15 PM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
you're right, it's worth it down the road. It's just that i'm picking up the watch on Friday and then in order for them to authenticate it is another 7 business days for me to get the watch back. I honestly just don't want to wait that many days.

The last time I had a piece authenticated was a couple of years ago, and it was more like a couple of days ... perhaps they’re busier at the moment.

Regardless, congrats on your new Day Date, great watch and I hope you get it sorted.
Old 17 January 2019, 01:15 PM   #24
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Will they not honor the papers as is?
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:16 PM   #25
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I don't know what you said to prompt that response. I bought my wife a 40mm RG YM on Oysterflex from a grey and brought it into RSCNY last week and sold me the proper bracelet for her. I kept the original because it fits me. I'd wait a couple of days and go in there and say it was a gift and I need a link. You don't need to verify anything or need to authenticate it to add a link. Doesn't make sense.
Old 19 January 2019, 12:25 PM   #26
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I’ve heard from RSC Toronto that they would need to do an authentication to get a service on a second hand watch. Maybe it’s RSC Toronto’s way of making more money. I have had no trouble sourcing links for that watch at RDV on Bloor Street. All they need is your watch’s serial number. I’m sure it’s the same at any Toronto AD.

Then again mine is steel maybe PM is different.

Good luck

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 02:51 PM   #27
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Total BS - go to AD or call another RSC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote