The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 January 2019, 12:05 PM   #61
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosI View Post
Early congrats, Carl ! You're gonna love this beauty. The best contemporary Rolex.

Here some pics of mine

Thanks for the excellent pics. After finally seeing one today, I know it will be perfect. Fit me just as your's does in the pics.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 12:08 PM   #62
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10klakes View Post
The SD43 is such a great piece. Rolex really hit a home run with this one. I also have a 7.25” wrist and of all my Rolex watches, this one has the perfect fit/feel. Happy for you to have a great AD to work with. I too have a great AD and giving them time to get the pieces I’ve wanted have been win-win.

To echo what others have said, I too recommend removing the divers extension link.

Here is mine:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. After seeing it finally at my AD today, I am even more certain it is the one. It was exactly as I thought it would be. My AD actually suggested that he would take off the diver extension for me, and when I saw how is protruded from the clasp, I can understand how it will be more comfortable without it. Can't wait! And we certainly see eye-to-eye on the experiences or working with a wonderful AD!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 12:12 PM   #63
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos View Post
Forgot to add a link to keep u bz while u r waiting. Lol

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=606365

It’s a great review of the sd43 by our very own Travelller
Thank You! Just the kind of review I like. I am out for dinner, and will read it tonight while I sip a good scotch!

BTW, I got to see an SD43 at my AD today. Of course, it was already spoken for by another client. It was identical to how I imagined it, in every detail. Even fit a bit smaller, and lighter, and thinner than I thought it might.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 12:19 PM   #64
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprta View Post
Takes some getting used to, wore mine a few times and just did not feel right. May place it back in the rotation. Right now the blnr and hulk get most of the wrist time.
It however is a great looking watch so perhaps I need to wear it more and see what happens.
Well, I finally got to try one on today. And for me it just felt perfect. Mind you, I am used to my Zenith 45mm Pilot and also a few 47mm Panerai models. I would get mine back in the rotation if I was you!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 12:22 PM   #65
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprta View Post
Takes some getting used to, wore mine a few times and just did not feel right. May place it back in the rotation. Right now the blnr and hulk get most of the wrist time.
It however is a great looking watch so perhaps I need to wear it more and see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
SD43 is sweet, I think ap offshores look better...but when you buy one and lose money.....you realize how bad ass Rolex sport models are
I do like those APs as well. Stunning! A friend of mine wears one of his dad's all the time, and I really admire it. But, yes, I don't think you get better value in any watch than a Rolex.

It actually took me some years to get used to the idea of a Cyclops. Oddly enough, I wouldn't want the SD43 any other way!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 12:25 PM   #66
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlativechrono View Post
Great choice. Looking forward to the pictures when your new SD43 arrives......hopefully your AD will see this thread and expedite!
Thanks. I will take lots of photos, you can be sure of that! I was at my AD today, and they know it's for my birthday in October. I trust them implicitly that they will come through for me!

I already told my AD about this thread, and how much fun I am having with the anticipation and how supporting, humble and downright friendly everyone is on this forum. That means a lot to me!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 02:07 PM   #67
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
It actually took me some years to get used to the idea of a Cyclops. Oddly enough, I wouldn't want the SD43 any other way!

+1

I am very happy Rolex put the cyclops on the SD43. Increased legibility is always a plus.

10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 03:54 PM   #68
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10klakes View Post
+1

I am very happy Rolex put the cyclops on the SD43. Increased legibility is always a plus.

This will be my only watch with a date function. As such, I want it to be as legible as possible.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 09:31 PM   #69
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Another vote for the cyclops here.

What it also does better balance the onset date wheel (a particular “what has been seen cannot be unseen” issue I have with the 116600.

And of course, another picture for you from when I strapped it on my wrist this morning!

The honeymoon doesn’t end with this one

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 10:33 PM   #70
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I never buy a SD before because I love Cyclops, the SD43 is perfect! I am absolutly sure will be a classic.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 10:45 PM   #71
Wristwatcherboy
"TRF" Member

I love the cyclops on my SD43. Otherwise the date window is very far inset towards the centre of the dial for some reason, as has been said before. The cyclops really balances out the whole dial beautifully.

Wears much smaller than a 43mm watch, much smaller than my 44mm Panerai which wears larger. Yes the SD43 is a heavier watch than say GMT or Sub, but not too heavy. After a few days you really do just get used to it. I like larger and slightly heavier watches anyway so it’s perfect for me.

The lugs are the perfect shape, and the red text is the final cherry on the top. The redesigned bracelet (which is now wider) and clasp are perfect at balancing out the increased heat of the watch, and help it to sit very comfortably on the wrist.

I think this is the perfect Rolex for me, and can easily see myself having it for life.
Wristwatcherboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 04:10 AM   #72
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Another vote for the cyclops here.

What it also does better balance the onset date wheel (a particular “what has been seen cannot be unseen” issue I have with the 116600.

And of course, another picture for you from when I strapped it on my wrist this morning!

The honeymoon doesn’t end with this one

Thanks. Always love to see the photos. As a guy who usually does not even want a date function on a watch, the SD43 is definitely the exception. Would not have it any other way! It balances the dial perfectly. When I tried on the 116600 a few years ago, I do admit it seemed like something was missing without the Cyclops. On the other hand the 114060 is balanced with the marker at 3 o'clock IMO. Still, I want the whole Rolex experience, and to me it includes the Cyclops!

BTW, I did manage to see one in real life yesterday. I had popped into the AD to see one of the associates, and she mentioned they had one come in for another client. It was exactly, in every way, how I imagined it. Now I am even more stoked!! Once I finally have it on my wrist, I am sure it will be there for a long, long time!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 20 January 2019, 04:13 AM   #73
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
I never buy a SD before because I love Cyclops, the SD43 is perfect! I am absolutly sure will be a classic.
It will be for sure. And nobody is certain how long this model will be produced, so that is another reason I am going for it. Yes, I believe it is perfect.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 20 January 2019, 04:16 AM   #74
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Agree completely. After one year of ownership I absolutely love having the cyclops on my SD43 and everyday my 50 y/o eyes appreciate it a little more.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 04:19 AM   #75
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wristwatcherboy View Post
I love the cyclops on my SD43. Otherwise the date window is very far inset towards the centre of the dial for some reason, as has been said before. The cyclops really balances out the whole dial beautifully.

Wears much smaller than a 43mm watch, much smaller than my 44mm Panerai which wears larger. Yes the SD43 is a heavier watch than say GMT or Sub, but not too heavy. After a few days you really do just get used to it. I like larger and slightly heavier watches anyway so it’s perfect for me.

The lugs are the perfect shape, and the red text is the final cherry on the top. The redesigned bracelet (which is now wider) and clasp are perfect at balancing out the increased heat of the watch, and help it to sit very comfortably on the wrist.

I think this is the perfect Rolex for me, and can easily see myself having it for life.
You summed up perfectly exactly how I feel. I knew it even before I finally saw one yesterday, for the first time in real life. Even trying it on before I get mine and have the bracelet adjusted, I can see it fits beautifully. And, I do love the Cyclops and the red text to top it all off. A work of art!

Rolex would never make a size adjustment on any watch purely for aesthetics. The fit and feel with the slightly larger case and wider lugs/bracelet make it the perfect fit. I didn't think it was very heavy either. And after my Panerai 44mm and 47mm, it just feels like the size it should be. Still plenty of space between the ends of the lugs and the edges of my wrist.

I'm sure it will be a lifetime experience for me as well.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 6 February 2019, 05:06 AM   #76
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Almost two weeks gone by since my last post.

Well, Thank You guys for all your enthusiasm, congratulations, knowledge and support. After all that, this is going to sound a bit crazy perhaps: I have decided to go with a Sub 114060 rather than the SD43. Over the years of researching the Sub, and finally deciding to get a Rolex diver, I started to look at the Sub 114060 again.

I arrived at the conclusion, going with my heart, that the Sub 114060 would, at least at this point, be the better choice for my one, and possibly only, Rolex diver. No fault with the SD43 at all, but the Rolex diver started out as a Sub with no date, and it just feels like it should be the one right now. And this version, which was introduced in 2012, is my favorite, as I like the chunkier shaped case. I really like the 14060 as well, but when the 114060 was introduced it really impressed me. Plus it has a few updates. And it really has everything that I want to experience in a Rolex diver.

So, I went to my AD last week, and cancelled the SD43 and ordered the 114060. The cost was not a factor, as I already had funds set aside for the SD43. But I was told that the 114060 would likely arrive for me a lot sooner. Maybe even this week! For some reason, I thought that I might have to wait until after Basel 2019 when, an if, they update the Sub.

At any rate, this has been a wonderful thread for me so far, thanks to you guys. And much appreciated.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 6 February 2019, 11:03 AM   #77
Irydium
"TRF" Member

Congrats to you in advance, there's no wrong choice between the SD43 and the Sub! Before I ultimately decided on the 114060 there was a period where I switched back and forth in my mind over what I liked as well.

I read somewhere that to find out if you truly like the watch, don't look at it for a few weeks, and keep looking at other watches that you might be interested in. If you are still in love with your original watch then you can be sure it isn't a passing infatuation.
Irydium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 11:39 AM   #78
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Carl,

Early happy birthday and congrats on knowing exactly what you want. I feel many people on this forum can learn from you and stop asking "what should I get."

Life is about choices and one should fully embrace the power that comes from making one's own choice.

Anyways congrats and hope you get it soon.

Best
Quote:

Well, Thank You guys for all your enthusiasm, congratulations, knowledge and support. After all that, this is going to sound a bit crazy perhaps: I have decided to go with a Sub 114060 rather than the SD43. Over the years of researching the Sub, and finally deciding to get a Rolex diver, I started to look at the Sub 114060 again.

I arrived at the conclusion, going with my heart, that the Sub 114060 would, at least at this point, be the better choice for my one, and possibly only, Rolex diver. No fault with the SD43 at all, but the Rolex diver started out as a Sub with no date, and it just feels like it should be the one right now. And this version, which was introduced in 2012, is my favorite, as I like the chunkier shaped case. I really like the 14060 as well, but when the 114060 was introduced it really impressed me. Plus it has a few updates. And it really has everything that I want to experience in a Rolex diver.

So, I went to my AD last week, and cancelled the SD43 and ordered the 114060. The cost was not a factor, as I already had funds set aside for the SD43. But I was told that the 114060 would likely arrive for me a lot sooner. Maybe even this week! For some reason, I thought that I might have to wait until after Basel 2019 when, an if, they update the Sub.

At any rate, this has been a wonderful thread for me so far, thanks to you guys. And much appreciated.

Cheers,
Carl
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 08:54 PM   #79
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

Cheers,
Carl
Hey Carl,

Some how I’d missed this post!

My first thoughts were “wow” that’s quite a turnaround in your thoughts and views - particularly after your posts about how much you liked the Sea Dweller in metal and on your wrist.

But then I remembered this was your first Rolex diver, and here you were jumping in at the deep (well 4000ft) end. I do think that if you are into your divers, everyone who has the means needs to own a sub at some point in their lives. As you say, the heart must rule the head. Heck, I’ve had two! Many will stick with them and many will move on, but it’s an itch that has to be scratched. It’s an icon, no less. The Dweller, by comparison, for me, is more of an evolution in Rolex diver ownership.

So congratulations in advance for your new Sub

(Although don’t discount the possibility of having that SD43 on your wrist at some point too. They are certainly not mutually exclusive references!)

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 09:55 PM   #80
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I have the 116610 and the 126600 and my SubC is a keeper but if I must choice I would buy the SD43 for sure. I would ask you to think again, the sd43 is an Aniversary edition and is very handsome, nothing wrong with the SubC but if you have the founds go for the SD43 Is my opinion.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 11:38 PM   #81
jbert12
"TRF" Member

Another October birthday here! You’re gonna love this watch when you receive it!

jbert12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 05:08 AM   #82
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irydium View Post
Congrats to you in advance, there's no wrong choice between the SD43 and the Sub! Before I ultimately decided on the 114060 there was a period where I switched back and forth in my mind over what I liked as well.

I read somewhere that to find out if you truly like the watch, don't look at it for a few weeks, and keep looking at other watches that you might be interested in. If you are still in love with your original watch then you can be sure it isn't a passing infatuation.
That makes perfect sense. Actually, in the case of the Sub, I have done that off and on for almost 20 years! I would look at it, then go back, and eventually get another watch. They have all been flipped. Somewhere in my sub-conscious, I think I was being told to wait until all other dive watches have been tried, then save the best for last. That is how I feel. To be honest, as well, I think the fact that it is so popular, and know as "the" diver watch, did put me off a bit. I didn't want to buy it just because it's a Rolex. I tried to prove to myself that there are better watches out there than a Rolex 114060. And that goes for other models as well. Well, I proved myself wrong. Rolex, and especially a Rolex Diver, is what I keep coming back to. Maybe this SubC 114060 will close this chapter for me. I really do feel that I will never need another sports/diver watch.

At least this is definitely not one of my many impulse buys!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 11 February 2019, 05:18 AM   #83
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edyu View Post
Carl,

Early happy birthday and congrats on knowing exactly what you want. I feel many people on this forum can learn from you and stop asking "what should I get."

Life is about choices and one should fully embrace the power that comes from making one's own choice.

Anyways congrats and hope you get it soon.

Best
Thanks for that wonderful compliment! I have always, throughout my life, done my own thing, and made my own choices - right or wrong - every step of the way.

I love the watch forums for sharing knowledge and learning, and when I learn from others about certain features of a watch, or a brand/watch I never knew existed, then I can go out and make my own choice. I would not ask that question "what should I get", as I can figure that out for myself. By the same token, I find it very difficult to give advice to guys who do ask that question. It really is about making your own choices that will ultimately give you the pride in whichever watch you pick. It becomes a lot more of a personal choice IMO.

From what I understand from my AD, the Sub's arrival should be fairly soon! I kind of knew it is more easily obtainable than the SD43, and made sure that was not a deciding factor in my change of heart.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 11 February 2019, 05:27 AM   #84
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Hey Carl,

Some how I’d missed this post!

My first thoughts were “wow” that’s quite a turnaround in your thoughts and views - particularly after your posts about how much you liked the Sea Dweller in metal and on your wrist.

But then I remembered this was your first Rolex diver, and here you were jumping in at the deep (well 4000ft) end. I do think that if you are into your divers, everyone who has the means needs to own a sub at some point in their lives. As you say, the heart must rule the head. Heck, I’ve had two! Many will stick with them and many will move on, but it’s an itch that has to be scratched. It’s an icon, no less. The Dweller, by comparison, for me, is more of an evolution in Rolex diver ownership.

So congratulations in advance for your new Sub

(Although don’t discount the possibility of having that SD43 on your wrist at some point too. They are certainly not mutually exclusive references!)
Very well said! And thank you for support. Your comments really give me an extra feeling of pride in being a member of this forum. Nobody has even hinted "Well, he ignored our advice and now is getting the Sub instead of the SD43!" In fact, it is the exact opposite, which is actually the way I thought it would be.

To me, the Sub 114060 evokes more of an emotional feeling in me than the SD43. I know for sure that, if I got the SD43 - or got it first - I would feel that I missed a step along the way. Who knows, maybe I won't need to go further than the Sub to satisfy my itch for the perfect dive watch.

I already have my next watch picked out, and am on the road to getting a DD40. It will be a fairly long road, as I will have to sell a few other watches in my collection first. But it will definitely be worth it!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 11 February 2019, 05:32 AM   #85
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
I have the 116610 and the 126600 and my SubC is a keeper but if I must choice I would buy the SD43 for sure. I would ask you to think again, the sd43 is an Aniversary edition and is very handsome, nothing wrong with the SubC but if you have the founds go for the SD43 Is my opinion.
Thanks for your thoughts. I actually do have the funds set aside for the SD43, but along the way decided I would miss out by not having the SubC. After all, it is the one I have been looking at the most over the years. Being an Anniversary edition, the SD43 may not be in production much longer, but who knows. I don't know, after getting the Sub, if I will ever feel longing to get an SD43 as well?

Cheers,
Carl
Old 11 February 2019, 05:35 AM   #86
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbert12 View Post
Another October birthday here! You’re gonna love this watch when you receive it!

Thanks, and a great pic as well. My new SD43 is, however, going to be a SubC 114060. After I decided on the SD43, the SubC kept popping up in my mind. And I realized that it is the diver I have had on my mind over the years, long before the SD43 came into production.

I actually don't think that between the two models there could be a bad decision. I just had to go with what my heart says.

Anyway, I will always admire the SD43, and perhaps one day I will own one as well.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 11 February 2019, 08:49 AM   #87
direwolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Both great watches. I am fortunate to have both. I must say that I personally find the submariner more comfortable on my 7.25 flat wrist. The SD 43 looks great from above. However, because the case back is both relatively small and deep, the watch is just not as comfortable as it could be. If it had a similar case back to the deep sea, I think it would simply be a slam dunk. I read that Rolex slapped on the SD4K case back on the SD43, which to me is a really lame move if true. I think you are making a good choice Carl. Just my two cents.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 10:52 AM   #88
vistec
"TRF" Member

Both watches are amazing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
vistec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 11:04 AM   #89
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Well congrats in advance on your 114060.

As Scott pointed out, both can coexist in a collection, so don't be too surprised if you find yourself jonesing for that Sd43 again

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 11:05 AM   #90
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Both great watches. I am fortunate to have both. I must say that I personally find the submariner more comfortable on my 7.25 flat wrist. The SD 43 looks great from above. However, because the case back is both relatively small and deep, the watch is just not as comfortable as it could be. If it had a similar case back to the deep sea, I think it would simply be a slam dunk. I read that Rolex slapped on the SD4K case back on the SD43, which to me is a really lame move if true. I think you are making a good choice Carl. Just my two cents.
Thanks. And I really appreciate your thoughts. Especially your evaluation of the comfort. It has been at least five years since I last tried on a Sub. Yes, it has been that long since I have seen one! And I did get to try an SD43 a few weeks ago at my AD, which had arrived for another client. It did seem very comfortable, but I was so overcome with excitement at seeing it in real life, and you really can't tell anyway until it has been on the wrist for an extended time.

From what I hear, both from you and other owners, there is absolutely no comfort issure with the Sub. And I am also glad I made that choice.

Cheers,
Carl