The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 January 2019, 09:11 AM   #91
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Grey market items have to come from an AD somewhere. Rolex only sells through their authorized sales chain. The warranty should be fine from the distributor from through the watch came which say might not be Rolex USA and then Rolex USA might not perform warranty service without a receipt in your name from the foreign dealer/AD. In any event, I believe the watches can be sent back to the factory for warranty work. If watches are being sold with unstamped unrun warranty cards that would be a big red flag and a problem.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 10:02 AM   #92
Drkitch109
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Good news. I'll be interested in details, should you be provided any.

Ok. It sounds like the CSR was mistaken. While we were there earlier this week, he specifically pointed out the inability to purchase the most of the popular models at an AD. It sounds like the CSR positions the change of heart as an accommodation due to the lack of availability so they must be hearing about the shortage a lot. I think the CSR probably realized she made a mistake when she stated the warranty was invalid because there was a US AD on the warranty card. Either way, it sounds like they did right by him and have confirmed they will honor their warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drkitch109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 10:07 AM   #93
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Grey market items have to come from an AD somewhere. Rolex only sells through their authorized sales chain. The warranty should be fine from the distributor from through the watch came which say might not be Rolex USA and then Rolex USA might not perform warranty service without a receipt in your name from the foreign dealer/AD. In any event, I believe the watches can be sent back to the factory for warranty work. If watches are being sold with unstamped unrun warranty cards that would be a big red flag and a problem.
If an AD sells out the back door directly to a gray seller, who is the buyer named on the card?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 10:09 AM   #94
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkitch109 View Post
Ok. It sounds like the CSR was mistaken. While we were there earlier this week, he specifically pointed out the inability to purchase the most of the popular models at an AD. It sounds like the CSR positions the change of heart as an accommodation due to the lack of availability so they must be hearing about the shortage a lot. I think the CSR probably realized she made a mistake when she stated the warranty was invalid because there was a US AD on the warranty card. Either way, it sounds like they did right by him and have confirmed they will honor their warranty.
Interesting. Sounds like a discretionary accommodation, rather than a legally-mandated honoring of the warranty. I'm still curious what Rolex USA's view is on this, but that is outside the scope of your friend's situation.
Old 19 January 2019, 11:27 AM   #95
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Quote:
Interesting. Sounds like a discretionary accommodation, rather than a legally-mandated honoring of the warranty. I'm still curious what Rolex USA's view is on this, but that is outside the scope of your friend's situation.

Was at the RSC in BV today and discussed this thread in general. What they want when you come in is the warranty card and registered watch. Without the warranty card nothing happens. They take the warranty card in the back, look up the dealer, and trace the watch’s history.

What was interesting is they cannot find the details of a watch without the registered warranty card. According to the CS people, 2, people walk in with just a new watch and no card. They can’t track the watch via the serial number alone. They said people are shocked!! Apparently the database is stored via the original AD. Just reporting what they said.

We did not get into the details of went on at the dealer in this thread. They didn’t have time.
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 11:32 AM   #96
Drkitch109
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It does but the CSR could have been trying to save face instead admitting to a mistake. Strategically, this also allows Rolex an advantage because they can keep people guessing on the warranty. I think the key is that a US AD was on the warranty card with the original purchaser’s name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drkitch109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 11:57 AM   #97
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkitch109 View Post
It does but the CSR could have been trying to save face instead admitting to a mistake. Strategically, this also allows Rolex an advantage because they can keep people guessing on the warranty. I think the key is that a US AD was on the warranty card with the original purchaser’s name.
Yes, the "I'll allow it this once" backpedal. If I had a nickel for every time I heard it...
Old 19 January 2019, 12:06 PM   #98
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post
Was at the RSC in BV today and discussed this thread in general. What they want when you come in is the warranty card and registered watch. Without the warranty card nothing happens. They take the warranty card in the back, look up the dealer, and trace the watch’s history.

What was interesting is they cannot find the details of a watch without the registered warranty card. According to the CS people, 2, people walk in with just a new watch and no card. They can’t track the watch via the serial number alone. They said people are shocked!! Apparently the database is stored via the original AD. Just reporting what they said.

We did not get into the details of went on at the dealer in this thread. They didn’t have time.
Thanks for the information. That is odd they can't trace the watch via serial number alone. The warranty does say the card must be presented, so they're within their rights to deny service without the card. All that said, it doesn't look like they answered the key question in this thread: will they honor a warranty on a pre-owned watch (i.e., the person seeking service isn't the original purchaser), assuming the warranty was properly activated, and all the paperwork is in order?
Old 19 January 2019, 01:18 PM   #99
ryvius
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I just picked up a new SubC from DavidSW. My name is on the warranty card. I'm thinking (since I'm 30 minutes away) of taking it down to the Beverly Hills RSC to get it resized.

I do not have the original receipt. The AD on the warranty card is from Europe and not the United States.

Will they give me a hard time like many receive at the NYC RSC?
Will I need to register my watch and will that be complicated without the AD receipt?
ryvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 01:21 PM   #100
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryvius View Post
I just picked up a new SubC from DavidSW. My name is on the warranty card. I'm thinking (since I'm 30 minutes away) of taking it down to the Beverly Hills RSC to get it resized.

I do not have the original receipt. The AD on the warranty card is from Europe and not the United States.

Will I need to register my watch and will that be complicated without the AD receipt?
Resizing is not covered by warranty. If you take it to an AD, they'll either do it as a courtesy, or charge you a nominal fee. I don't know what RSC will do, but why drive 30 miles for something that can easily be done at an AD with a watchmaker on premises?
Old 19 January 2019, 01:25 PM   #101
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Resizing is not covered by warranty. If you take it to an AD, they'll either do it as a courtesy, or charge you a nominal fee. I don't know what RSC will do, but why drive 30 miles for something that can easily be done at an AD with a watchmaker on premises?

True! However, for free Rolex will verify the warranty card.

Get a quote and pass. Parking is free on Cannon. Have lunch.
Old 19 January 2019, 01:27 PM   #102
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
True! However, for free Rolex will verify the warranty card.

Get a quote and pass. Parking is free on Cannon. Have lunch.
Actually, I would be interested to see what they have to say about that card. Ryvius, please do it and report back.
Old 19 January 2019, 01:40 PM   #103
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Rolex warranty card no good?

Quote:
Actually, I would be interested to see what they have to say about that card. Ryvius, please do it and report back.

Corner of Wilshire and Cannon on Cannon. Rolex contact number is 310-271-6200. Private parking lot. Press the intercom button and say Rolex. The gate will open. Walk to Wilshire and turn left. They are closed Monday, 1/21.
Old 19 January 2019, 02:22 PM   #104
ryvius
"TRF" Member

I'll do it. And I'm not 30 miles away, 30 minutes is below the standard time deviation to get anywhere in LA with traffic. :)

I thought RSCs could resize bracelets. Or is that an additional fee?
Old 19 January 2019, 02:30 PM   #105
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'll do it. And I'm not 30 miles away, 30 minutes is below the standard time deviation to get anywhere in LA with traffic. :)

I thought RSCs could resize bracelets. Or is that an additional fee?

Just my opinion, but I think they believe that’s a dealer’s job to resize. They are about warranty and repair.
Old 19 January 2019, 02:57 PM   #106
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Overseas cards sometimes raise an eyebrow. BH isn’t NY so hope you get a good vibe there.

But more importantly, the status of the s/n in their system could raise both eyebrows if it was flagged as MIA by the AD. Or was never scanned at point of sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 03:08 PM   #107
ryvius
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Overseas cards sometimes raise an eyebrow. BH isn’t NY so hope you get a good vibe there.

But more importantly, the status of the s/n in their system could raise both eyebrows if it was flagged as MIA by the AD. Or was never scanned at point of sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The card is AD stamped, came with some of the protective plastics in place, and from DavidSW so that feels like a very worst case scenario.

I guess this is the ultimate test though. Kinda makes me want to do it more.
Old 19 January 2019, 03:08 PM   #108
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
And I'm not 30 miles away, 30 minutes is below the standard time deviation to get anywhere in LA with traffic. :)
Oops...I misread your post. Sorry about that. I remember it could take me 30 minutes to get to the grocery store around the corner from my house when I lived down there.
Old 19 January 2019, 03:22 PM   #109
ryvius
"TRF" Member

Side question.

On my BNIB SubC from DavidSW the stickers (with barcode) on the back case of the watch case and on the warranty card itself is different from the serial number on the warranty card.

Was curious why have a unique identifier outside of serial. Is the sticker id just dealer inventory reference or something else?
Old 16 April 2019, 11:11 PM   #110
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
Used my card the other day. Just has #### in name field. AD confirmed that warranty follows watch.
InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote