The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 January 2019, 03:07 AM   #31
Woody
"TRF" Member

I was on a list, managed to try one at another AD but found it to be too large and shiny for my taste. Secured a refund of my deposit and put that towards a Sub-C. Each to their own and I very much hope that you find it fits your requirements. Good luck and congratulations on your forthcoming birthday.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 05:25 AM   #32
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Great choice Carl

I got mine for my 50th bday without first seeing it in person or trying it on.
I did try on the ym2 to get the feel for the size on my wrist.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=574914

It’s a real beauty and a bad-ass at same time. Lol
I am sure u will get it before ur oct bday

Here is a pic for u while u wait. =)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D9C8B1B4-75E9-4807-9FF3-EE498EB5DAE8.jpeg (120.8 KB, 179 views)
Old 19 January 2019, 05:43 AM   #33
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Congratulations on both the SD and 70 years!!!
Thanks! Both are yet to come. However, if the watch arrives before my birthday in October, you can be sure I won't hide it away until then.
Old 19 January 2019, 05:46 AM   #34
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
The SD43 is a great watch. I hope it gets to you by your birthday.
Thanks. The birthday is 9 months away, so I am hoping so. It doesn't seem, from what I read on the forums, that it is taking as long as the Daytona. But who knows. I will enjoy the anticipation.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 05:53 AM   #35
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I truly hope it arrives in time for your birthday Carl.

It's a wonderful reference. I was in a similar position to Scott (Devildog) and when this one was announced at Basel 2017 I knew I had to have it.

My first Rolex was a 5 digit Seadweller, so I always had a soft spot for this refernce and I always regret having sold it.

I turned 50 in June 2017. I attended my AD's Basel event to check out the new releases. I asked my AD to do what he could to get one in time for my birthday.

He one upped me and I got the very first one sold in Canada on May 4th

Enjoy the anticipation Carl

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Thanks for the encouragement! I was pretty sure you had an SD43, and now I do recall reading your story about being the first in Canada! Your AD done good indeed.

Scott has been wonderfully encouraging as well!

I think I am having more fun with this thread, than I will when I get the watch and post an "incoming". Everyone has been so encouraging, down-to-earth and super welcoming. It really is a privilege to be a part of this forum with all you guys.

9 months to go until my birthday, so I am very hopeful. I would not consider buying it from any other AD than Palladio here in Vancouver. And they just took my order the other day, no questions asked. I have already earmarked the funds for when I get the call. The exciting thing about this is that I have never even seen the model in real life. And never before acquired a watch without having first seen it in real life. Yet I have absolutely no qualms about going ahead. It took me a while to get to this point, but I figured that just once in this lifetime, I must experience owning a Rolex diver. And this seems like the perfect one.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 05:58 AM   #36
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
It is superb in every way...you will love it! Enjoy in good health!
Thanks. After all the studying I did on this watch, I can't imagine it will be any less than perfect!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 06:05 AM   #37
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
It's a great watch, for sure. One of my favorites. But if it's not here by October, I would pick up the phone and call one of our trusted sellers. It's not selling at that much of a premium, and you deserve to have that watch for your birthday. Especially a milestone birthday.

My two cents...from a guy who's not far behind you, loves Rolex divers, and believes in treating yourself every now and then.

Oh, and hates to wait.
Thanks. This will be my first Rolex diver. Always admired them from a distance, and tried them on many times, back when they were more readily available. I am usually a very impulsive guy, so it is kind of unusual that I should wait this long. Glad I did, though, as I believe I am getting the best.
This, for some reason, is one time I don't mind the wait. I do have a good, varied collection, so will just sit back and enjoy the anticipation. I'm beyond confident with my AD, and even if, for some reason, it isn't here by my birthday, I am still happy to wait. Although I'm pretty sure that won't be the case!

Looking forward to doing an "incoming" one day, though.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 06:08 AM   #38
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Do you have the wrist for that bad boy, I’d make certain and try on one. Beauty for sure
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 06:09 AM   #39
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
I was seventy this week; I can assure you the 43mm is a delight. Not so sure about being seventy! I preferred being twenty.
Well, huge congratulations! On both your birthday and experiencing the delights of the SD43. I was having a wonderful time when I turned 20, and remember my 20s vividly. Luckily, I don't "feel" 70, or almost 70, but I just do things differently. Making the decision to get this watch, has certainly put more spring back in my step!

Hmmm. My first Rolex diver, and also first Rolex with a date function and Cyclops. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I really wonder how owning this watch will affect the amount I wear the other watches in my collection!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 06:11 AM   #40
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Will go very well with your Panerai. Carl
Thanks. I just wonder what owning this watch will do to the wrist time for the others in my collection!? Well, time will tell, and I am more than willing to find out!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 06:15 AM   #41
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
My birthday is also in October...
Wow! So many of us with October birthdays! When I go to my favorite local Italian restaurant in October, it seems like every day there are at least one or two birthdays celebrated. That must mean something, just not sure what! :)

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 06:17 AM   #42
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
i have the diver extension removed after 2 months wearing it, feel much more comfortable thereafter. i suggest you remove it once you got it, if you are not planning to go diving with it.
Thanks for that advice. It is something I have been wondering about, and I just keep forgetting to ask. I think I will have it removed soon as I get the watch.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 06:21 AM   #43
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I was on a list, managed to try one at another AD but found it to be too large and shiny for my taste. Secured a refund of my deposit and put that towards a Sub-C. Each to their own and I very much hope that you find it fits your requirements. Good luck and congratulations on your forthcoming birthday.
Thank you. Well, I don't mind a bit of bling. The anticipation is going to be great, though, especially since I will likely never see one until it arrives. Anyway, I really don't have any doubts, as I'm used to my shiny 47mm Panerai models. As you say, to each their own. I have had my eyes on a 114060 over the years as well, and did mange to try one on. Quite a few years ago actually. For some reason, I left it and went on to other watches along the way. So I'm pretty confident this will be the one!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 06:33 AM   #44
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos View Post
Great choice Carl

I got mine for my 50th bday without first seeing it in person or trying it on.
I did try on the ym2 to get the feel for the size on my wrist.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=574914

It’s a real beauty and a bad-ass at same time. Lol
I am sure u will get it before ur oct bday

Here is a pic for u while u wait. =)
Thanks for all your comments, great pic, and link to that wonderful thread! Every time I see a photo of this watch, I get so excited, and my eyes tear up as well!!

It seems like a number of us share the same wrist size, and even a bit smaller. Mine is 7.25in as well. Right now I am wearing a 45mm Zenith Pilot, so I have no fear that the SD43 will be perfect.

So far in the past couple of days, I have been overwhelmed by the sheer volume of posts on this thread, and the sincerity, welcoming and friendliness of everyone on this forum. It really is making this experience so pleasurable!

Your words describe perfectly how I view the watch: "Beautiful and badass!" All part of the experience of owning this watch.

Actually, I did try on a 40mm YM a couple of weeks ago. The Everose gold with the incredible Oysterflex bracelet. It is such a beauty, and I actually had it in mind for my 70th. But I kept on at myself about how I simply must have a Rolex diver in my collection, especially before I get too much older. And, if I have a Rolex diver, I simply want it to be the best. For me, that is the SD43. I really love the DeepSea as well, but for me the SD43 just seems more balanced. And a bit thinner as well. Both are well proportioned, but for me the SD43 just has the edge.

Anway, for now and have a great weekend!
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 07:07 AM   #45
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Wise choice, congrats in advance!

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 07:48 AM   #46
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Do you have the wrist for that bad boy, I’d make certain and try on one. Beauty for sure
Oh, yes. I am currently wearing my Zenith 45mm Pilot. And I have a few Panerai at 47mm, so I think I am well prepared!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 07:49 AM   #47
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Wise choice, congrats in advance!
Thanks! I am confident it is the right choice. Now, the anticipation!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 07:59 AM   #48
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Excellent choice! The SD43 is by far my favourite diving watch - it sits well on my wrist, looks well-proportioned and doesn't feel as heavy as some might think.

Overall, it's a great buy!
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 08:14 AM   #49
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
You'll love it. That watch does not disappoint.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 08:31 AM   #50
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
Thanks. I just wonder what owning this watch will do to the wrist time for the others in my collection!? Well, time will tell, and I am more than willing to find out!

Cheers,
Carl
I get that. I had a very long honeymoon with my Deepsea D-Blue. It lasted a good 6 months and I didn't wear anything else. I type this as I'm wearing my 16600, which I nearly forgot how much I liked. It was my first, and you never forget your first!

Huge congrats on the plunge. You won't regret one bit. I only saw the Deepsea at an AD. I never asked to hold it nor try it on. I knew it was the watch for me. When I found the right deal, I didn't waste a moment. I had it on my wrist two days later. I feel the same way about the SD43. I could buy it without ever seeing it in person. I know I'd love it as it sounds you know you will.

I did something very odd today. I came across a fully stickered black dial 2017 116660 Deepsea and bought it. I have absolutely no clue what I'm going to do with it. I don't feel like I could take the stickers off, and it seems you can't really get a SS model these days with stickers anyways. I know, it's dumb plastic bits on a watch case, but it's almost like a homage to how things used to be. I think I'll stick it in the safe for a year (9 months? ) and think about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180131_172017_resized.jpg (155.0 KB, 142 views)
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 09:05 AM   #51
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Early congrats, Carl ! You're gonna love this beauty. The best contemporary Rolex.

Here some pics of mine

PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 09:50 AM   #52
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
The SD43 is such a great piece. Rolex really hit a home run with this one. I also have a 7.25” wrist and of all my Rolex watches, this one has the perfect fit/feel. Happy for you to have a great AD to work with. I too have a great AD and giving them time to get the pieces I’ve wanted have been win-win.

To echo what others have said, I too recommend removing the divers extension link.

Here is mine:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 10:33 AM   #53
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Forgot to add a link to keep u bz while u r waiting. Lol

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=606365

It’s a great review of the sd43 by our very own Travelller
Old 19 January 2019, 11:15 AM   #54
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Takes some getting used to, wore mine a few times and just did not feel right. May place it back in the rotation. Right now the blnr and hulk get most of the wrist time.
It however is a great looking watch so perhaps I need to wear it more and see what happens.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 11:18 AM   #55
1665fan
"TRF" Member

SD43 is sweet, I think ap offshores look better...but when you buy one and lose money.....you realize how bad ass Rolex sport models are
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 11:26 AM   #56
superlativechrono
"TRF" Member

Great choice. Looking forward to the pictures when your new SD43 arrives......hopefully your AD will see this thread and expedite!
superlativechrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 11:29 AM   #57
1665fan
"TRF" Member

SD43 would also look better with no stupid cyclops
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 11:53 AM   #58
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singslinger View Post
Excellent choice! The SD43 is by far my favourite diving watch - it sits well on my wrist, looks well-proportioned and doesn't feel as heavy as some might think.

Overall, it's a great buy!
Thanks. Well, I was at my AD today, and they had just got one in for another client. So, I actually got to see it in real life for the first time. Exactly as I had envisioned it, and the fit is excellent. It really does not seem heavy at all. Of course, it wasn't to be fitted to my wrist, but I am confident that when it is, it will be absolutely perfect!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 12:02 PM   #59
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
I get that. I had a very long honeymoon with my Deepsea D-Blue. It lasted a good 6 months and I didn't wear anything else. I type this as I'm wearing my 16600, which I nearly forgot how much I liked. It was my first, and you never forget your first!

Huge congrats on the plunge. You won't regret one bit. I only saw the Deepsea at an AD. I never asked to hold it nor try it on. I knew it was the watch for me. When I found the right deal, I didn't waste a moment. I had it on my wrist two days later. I feel the same way about the SD43. I could buy it without ever seeing it in person. I know I'd love it as it sounds you know you will.

I did something very odd today. I came across a fully stickered black dial 2017 116660 Deepsea and bought it. I have absolutely no clue what I'm going to do with it. I don't feel like I could take the stickers off, and it seems you can't really get a SS model these days with stickers anyways. I know, it's dumb plastic bits on a watch case, but it's almost like a homage to how things used to be. I think I'll stick it in the safe for a year (9 months? ) and think about it.
Thanks for all your thoughts, photo. I don't think you did a bad thing at all by picking up the 116660 today. If you like it, then enjoy wearing it. If you feel after a while it is a bit redundant, I am sure you will have no problem selling it. But having the black dial is exactly that: a homage to the past. Like I say, enjoy it!

The Deepsea D-Blue was also a big consideration. And I am surprised how little more it costs than the SD43. But I know my tastes well enough, and the SD43 is for me. I think if I had both, one would remain in the drawer more than the other. I waited so long to get a Rolex diver, and I wanted the perfect one, so I am confident I found it!

I am imagining a long honeymoon with the SD43 as well!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 January 2019, 12:04 PM   #60
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
You'll love it. That watch does not disappoint.
Thanks. After finally seeing it today in real life, it was exactly as I thought it would be. I know it will be loved!

Cheers,
Carl