The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 March 2008, 08:56 AM   #1
Rolex_07
"TRF" Member

Dress code when purchasing a Rolex

I'm just curious with the relationship with how people dress, and the customer service that you recieve in return.

Please note: Rolex is OUTSTANDING, EXCELLENT, and goes way above the call of duty as far as customer service goes.

However, have you ever noticed that if you're wearing a suit/tux, you are treated better than if you walk in with just a tee shirt and jeans?

Without getting too personal here, what type of outfit do you wear when going to an AD? And how were you treated?
Rolex_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:00 AM   #2
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

I always get treated well no matter what style I'm wearing that day (whether in chains and dunks or business casual), but I do always strap on a Rolex before I head over. I don't think I could take anyone who shops in a tux seriously.
scottschoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:00 AM   #3
rob
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SS only
Quote from a different post but included what I wore.

It's the same where ever you go! Last year in June when I was looking into putting a deposit down on my GMT II-C. I went to AD's in San Jose, San Francisco, and Walnut Creek Ca. No one, gave me the time of day!!!! Finally at Davidson and Licht in Walnut Creek they treated me like a rock star! I was dressed in my usual gym clothing (Old baggy t-shirt, scrub bottoms from the hospital and OR clogs). They offered me chocolate mints, and bottled water. They took there time with me explaining much about Rolex. I then asked if I could put a deposit down on the up coming GMT II-C. The sales person said he didn't know if he could do that, at that time another gentleman walked up behind me and asked "what was going on?" I explained that I wanted to put a deposit down on the up coming GMT II-C he stated that the first one that came in was for display, and that the second one that came in would be mine. He stated that He could not promise a time frame. I agreed, put money down and had it in a month! They guy "Jon" that I talked to ended up being the owner. Every time I go in there, they clean my watch, offer me candy, water while I wait! They also polish the bracelet of the watch once a year free of charge for the life of the watch!!!! I will buy my future watches through them only!!!! Jeremiah, Raphael, Jon, and the rest of the staff there are first class!!! Mel at the San Jose store is first class as well!!!! Sorry you had a bad experience!!! But it took me about 7 visits before I scored!!! Keep looking there has to be one close to you!!!! They stuck to the MSRP, $5950 on this one but told me that they could bend a little for a different model, like a Sub. They made my purchase a very memorable one!!!! The way it should be!!!!

P.S. My t-shirt was at least 10 years old, I wasn't wearing a watch, and if you went buy what I was wearing, you would have thought I was just a window shopper. I also designed a setting for my wife engagement ring that was more than my Rolex, when I went in to Joe Escobar in Campbell Ca. ( http://www.escobardiamonds.com/home.jsp ) I dressed the same way and Andrew and the staff there treated me the same way as Davidson and Licht. When we left the gave us a ultrasonic cleaner and a nice bottle or wine!!! They are also a Rolex AD

Last edited by rob; 26 March 2008 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: last detail
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:02 AM   #4
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

I am not wearing a tuxedo or someting fancy just my normal clothes like a shirt and some jeans and they treat me quite well because they can see that i wear a rolex watch

If i didn't wear a rolex watch i am sure that they wouldn't treat me the same way. If an AD would be rude with me and i was interested on purchasing a watch i would just tell him if you don't want my money it's ok with me

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:02 AM   #5
deadhead71

Watch: serti-sub/day-date
im self employed and for the most part im always dressed in business casual.
deadhead71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:02 AM   #6
sbakar
"TRF" Member

In Vancouver, it's been 'smart casual' (nice sweater, black jeans) for me. I get treated just fine.

In Toronto, I visited directly after my Med interview, so I was dressed in a suit. I THINK I was treated somewhat better, but maybe it was the adrenaline surge from the interview that added some swagger to my step.

It is interesting to go into AD's dressed differently, but IMHO it is by far how you act and talk that make them respect you. If you start blabbing about SS Daytonas and Basel '08 and the prices of DRSD's, they take you seriously very quickly!

SNB
sbakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:06 AM   #7
dthiss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King
I can say that I rarely wear anything but jeans and a T, but I always get great service at the 2 AD's tha I use. Jared Jewlers and Finks at Short Pump Town Center in Richmond, Virginia.
Tag Heuer - Connected
Porsche Design Flat Six
dthiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:10 AM   #8
Markg
"TRF" Member

Watch: R
i normally dress in tshirt and jeans, and get ok service everywhere i go.

but when im actually looking for a new watch, i always wear either a gold or platinum rolex, and the service ROCKS everywhere i go. i guess it sorts you out from those just looking...and instead of me having to ask for discounts (and being turned down sometimes) they actually VOLUNTEER discounts. go figure.
Markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:18 AM   #9
OYSTERMANN
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ,DD,GMTIIc,Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markg View Post
i normally dress in tshirt and jeans, and get ok service everywhere i go.

but when im actually looking for a new watch, i always wear either a gold or platinum rolex, and the service ROCKS everywhere i go. i guess it sorts you out from those just looking...and instead of me having to ask for discounts (and being turned down sometimes) they actually VOLUNTEER discounts. go figure.

That's the way to do it, Mark!

116231 SS/RG DATEJUST 2007
118238 YG DAY-DATE 2007
116713 LN SS/YG GMT IIc 2008
116613 LB SS/YG SUBMARINER 2009
216570 SS EXPLORER II 2013
116520 SS DAYTONA 2014
OYSTERMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:37 AM   #10
dbanaga

Watch: TT GMT-Master IIc
When I got mine, I was wearing t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops. But then again it was Hawaii and the majority I saw in the store were wearing the same. I do notice that appearance is a minor factor in some ad's around where I live, but others that I've been to, no matter what I wear, don't even bother to acknowledge me...maybe just having a bad day I guess.
dbanaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:39 AM   #11
Troy
Banned

Watch: Tudor Sub. 7928
It is a store what you wear should have no bearing treat all customers the same. The guy in cut off shorts and 5 days of bread growth could be a multimillionaire that likes to dress causal. I guess you could lick the back of your platinum card and wear it on your forehead.
This is me treat me right and we will do business if not I can find someone who will. lol
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:41 AM   #12
Rolex_07
"TRF" Member

Would it be safe to say that the first thing the salesman looks at when you walk in the door are:

#1 Your watch and
#2 Your apperance?
Rolex_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:43 AM   #13
mdx77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbakar View Post
In Vancouver, it's been 'smart casual' (nice sweater, black jeans) for me. I get treated just fine.

In Toronto, I visited directly after my Med interview, so I was dressed in a suit. I THINK I was treated somewhat better, but maybe it was the adrenaline surge from the interview that added some swagger to my step.

It is interesting to go into AD's dressed differently, but IMHO it is by far how you act and talk that make them respect you. If you start blabbing about SS Daytonas and Basel '08 and the prices of DRSD's, they take you seriously very quickly!

SNB

Hit it right on the head.......pre-qualification, my sales guys do it all the time and they have no clue how much they are loosing! You do have to give them a little credit though.......most of you AD's have to deal with a lot of, shall we just say "window-shoppers" that probably couldn't afford anything in the store anyway. Not that it's an excuse, but when you get paid on commission, it can get pretty frustrating! But the end of the post makes a lot of sense.....once you show you know what you're talking about, most AD's will open up to you too.
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:43 AM   #14
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_07 View Post
Would it be safe to say that the first thing the salesman looks at when you walk in the door are:

#1 Your watch and
#2 Your apperance?
I think that this applies in most of the AD's JMO

Old 26 March 2008, 09:46 AM   #15
Felly Jr.
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona/GV
The first time I bought a Rolex I went into the store with camo shorts and a T-shirt. I got top notch service, and got put at the top of the list for a SS DT and GV Milly. I'm not there to impress anyone, and if they don't like the way I dress, screw em', I'll go somewhere else.
Felly Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:47 AM   #16
richc1958
Banned

shorts t shirt flip flops........same way I buy everything.....I remember when i went in a bought my BMW I had 2 or 3 days stubble, one salemens did not give me the time of day...I found a lady who was more than willing to help and a hour later I was leaving in a new BMW...you can never tell a book by its cover.
richc1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:47 AM   #17
richc1958
Banned

shorts t shirt flip flops........same way I buy everything.....I remember when i went in a bought my BMW I had 2 or 3 days stubble, one salemens did not give me the time of day...I found a lady who was more than willing to help and a hour later I was leaving in a new BMW...you can never tell a book by its cover.
richc1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:48 AM   #18
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felly Jr. View Post
I'm not there to impress anyone, and if they don't like the way I dress, screw em', I'll go somewhere else.
I think that this is really important

Old 26 March 2008, 09:52 AM   #19
mdx77
"TRF" Member

One more thing to add if I may........keep in mind the # of people some of these AD's see in a day.......especially those in malls!!! If these guys had a dollar every time they heard some dumb ask for a Rollie for a dollar, or other stubid BS questions like that, most of them could retire in a year!

I know I could of......
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
Old 26 March 2008, 09:54 AM   #20
Norm

Jeans and a t-shirt. But like many of you I do wear one of my nicer watches. When I recently bought Bluesy I went wearing the TT datejust.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:55 AM   #21
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdx77 View Post
One more thing to add if I may........keep in mind the # of people some of these AD's see in a day.......especially those in malls!!! If these guys had a dollar every time they heard some dumb ask for a Rollie for a dollar, or other stubid BS questions like that, most of them could retire in a year!

I know I could of......
You are actually right and the funny thing is that i know a guy that went to a greek rolex dealership and asked if he can get a 40% discount on a new sub cause he couldn't wait anymore Actually the guy didn't any clue about discounts or prices he just liked the look of the sub

When the salesperson heard his question he replied : Men you are buying a rolex you are not buying candies

Old 26 March 2008, 09:57 AM   #22
daunwaun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K YG Day Date
Jeans and a golf shirt!
Old 26 March 2008, 09:57 AM   #23
daunwaun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K YG Day Date
or maybe a suit? depends what day it is?
Old 26 March 2008, 09:57 AM   #24
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
I think that it depends on the seller.I mean,if you think that your AD pays attention on your wardrobe,change AD!
Of course,that doesn`t mean that we all suppose to go to AD in swimming pants or sweaty T-shirt,but I think that the only dress code we should obey is the one limited with bad taste.
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 10:03 AM   #25
blackrhino12

Funny I put my SS Sub in for a service at my local AD. 4 weeks later they called on a Saturday morning saying my watch was back. Jumped in the truck and drove to the mall in shorts and Dockers. Walked in and got the look until I gave them my claim ticket. Then they brought out the watch and we've been friends ever since.
blackrhino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 10:03 AM   #26
BWag

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Quote from a different post but included what I wore.

It's the same where ever you go! Last year in June when I was looking into putting a deposit down on my GMT II-C. I went to AD's in San Jose, San Francisco, and Walnut Creek Ca. No one, gave me the time of day!!!! Finally at Davidson and Licht in Walnut Creek they treated me like a rock star! I was dressed in my usual gym clothing (Old baggy t-shirt, scrub bottoms from the hospital and OR clogs). They offered me chocolate mints, and bottled water. They took there time with me explaining much about Rolex. I then asked if I could put a deposit down on the up coming GMT II-C. The sales person said he didn't know if he could do that, at that time another gentleman walked up behind me and asked "what was going on?" I explained that I wanted to put a deposit down on the up coming GMT II-C he stated that the first one that came in was for display, and that the second one that came in would be mine. He stated that He could not promise a time frame. I agreed, put money down and had it in a month! They guy "Jon" that I talked to ended up being the owner. Every time I go in there, they clean my watch, offer me candy, water while I wait! They also polish the bracelet of the watch once a year free of charge for the life of the watch!!!! I will buy my future watches through them only!!!! Jeremiah, Raphael, Jon, and the rest of the staff there are first class!!! Mel at the San Jose store is first class as well!!!! Sorry you had a bad experience!!! But it took me about 7 visits before I scored!!! Keep looking there has to be one close to you!!!! They stuck to the MSRP, $5950 on this one but told me that they could bend a little for a different model, like a Sub. They made my purchase a very memorable one!!!! The way it should be!!!!

P.S. My t-shirt was at least 10 years old, I wasn't wearing a watch, and if you went buy what I was wearing, you would have thought I was just a window shopper. I also designed a setting for my wife engagement ring that was more than my Rolex, when I went in to Joe Escobar in Campbell Ca. ( http://www.escobardiamonds.com/home.jsp ) I dressed the same way and Andrew and the staff there treated me the same way as Davidson and Licht. When we left the gave us a ultrasonic cleaner and a nice bottle or wine!!! They are also a Rolex AD

I agree with the above. I just picked up a GMT II C from them this month. I put my deposit down last month and they gave me the watch at the old price $5950. Davidson and Licht is a top notch Jeweler with top notch service. Below is my new and only Rolex.
BWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 10:06 AM   #27
gg922
"TRF" Member

Watch: DAYTONA
I wore jeans and a t-shirt it was my day off. I am in sells and I learned long time ago do not judge somebody by their appearance. The guy that drives the clunker and is unshaven and dirty could be the richest man in town.
gg922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 10:08 AM   #28
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and President
Psychologically, people usually can't help but treat you better when you dress better. Like it or not you will be judged by your appearance. Now, that doesn't mean that you can't overcome it with body language, knowledge, voice inflection, and... cash. Personally I wouldn't wear a tux, but I would appear as though I can afford the item I'm wanting to purchase so that I can get good service.
Chozn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 10:13 AM   #29
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
When I bought my SD I had a scruffy, baggy T shirt, tracksuit trousers that were full of dust, unshaven and I was treat like royalty, when I go back to that shop they always remember my name, nice touch.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 10:17 AM   #30
mdx77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg922 View Post
I wore jeans and a t-shirt it was my day off. I am in sells and I learned long time ago do not judge somebody by their appearance. The guy that drives the clunker and is unshaven and dirty could be the richest man in town.

Quick anecdote....richest guy I ever sold a car to a few years back came in w/ sweatpants and a ripped t-shirt........long story short, on the monthly income line of the credit app put 900,000............. like a dumb I said, "ooopps, looks like you got one extra zero or two here"....and in a very serious face he said "no I don't".... ........you just never know............