The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2024, 04:18 AM   #1
Jcor7
"TRF" Member

Is Anyone Bothered by the Excessive Bezel Overhang on Some Newer Rolex Models?

I’ve noticed many of the newer models have of bezel overhang between the lugs that doesn’t look right.

You can see it on most of the fixed bezel watches. Some examples are the datejust, explorer I, and Airking

IMG_0003.jpeg
IMG_0001.jpeg
IMG_0002.jpeg

If you look an older model, like this older reference datejust, the bezel lines up with the case

IMG_0005.jpeg

I think this might be done to hide where the end link lines up with the case, but to me it makes it look like the bracelet doesn’t fit with the watch and just doesn’t look very thought out. it also makes it look like the bezel can be popped right off. I hope they eventually go back to how it was before
Jcor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 04:21 AM   #2
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Is Anyone Bothered by the Excessive Bezel Overhang on Some Newer Rolex Models?

Well presented. As shown, the design does appear to be a bit sloppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 05:13 AM   #3
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
dang that's surprising from rolex
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 05:15 AM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The bezel not being integrated with the case, this doesn’t seem like an issue to me.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 05:17 AM   #5
Jcor7
"TRF" Member

It looks like the Sky-dweller and 1908 are the only non-professional line watches that don’t do this
Old 21 May 2024, 05:29 AM   #6
Jcor7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
The bezel not being integrated with the case, this doesn’t seem like an issue to me.
I don’t think there’s any actual functional issue with this. I just think this makes it look weird, especially from a side profile.
Old 21 May 2024, 05:35 AM   #7
derklink
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: amacallit
Looks like a real dirt trap
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 05:47 AM   #8
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
I would guess it's to enhance the visual experience when looking at it from the front, which is how you look at 99% of the time. They'd likely have to shrink the whole bezel a little to remove the overhang, and from the front, the bezels look right.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 05:50 AM   #9
Jcor7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
I would guess it's to enhance the visual experience when looking at it from the front, which is how you look at 99% of the time. They'd likely have to shrink the whole bezel a little to remove the overhang, and from the front, the bezels look right.
That’s a good point, I see what you mean by making it look better from the front. But why couldn’t they just have the case underneath extend as far as the bezel?
Old 21 May 2024, 05:52 AM   #10
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcor7 View Post
That’s a good point, I see what you mean by making it look better from the front. But why couldn’t they just have the case underneath extend as far as the bezel?
Because then the watch's case is larger. You can also have a larger visual presence on the wrist without it actually being larger as it stands now.

Many think the size is perfect now, so you'll have more upset customers than those not liking the bezel overhang.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 05:57 AM   #11
Jcor7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because then the watch's case is larger. You can also have a larger visual presence on the wrist without it actually being larger as it stands now.

Many think the size is perfect now, so you'll have more upset customers than those not liking the bezel overhang.
I see what you mean. It reduces the size of the watch without reducing the size of the face of the watch, especially since Rolex uses the male endlinks. But it’s just very ugly to me. Additionally, this makes it hard to put on anything but the oem bracelet, since if you put leather or NATO straps you have this giant gap you can see between the lugs. I know it’s a minority who use non-OEM straps, but still it bothers me.
Old 21 May 2024, 05:58 AM   #12
Turpentine
"TRF" Member

Didn't know EBO was a real thing until now
Turpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 06:05 AM   #13
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Looks like the bumper lip on a supercar. It’s a non issue and makes the watch lighter while achieving the look they were going for.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 06:06 AM   #14
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Very observant OP. Looking at my old Explorer vs my new Explorer 36, I do like the bezel overhang as per the post below:

Quote:
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 06:09 AM   #15
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Don’t mind me. Just leaving these here…

kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 06:12 AM   #16
Jcor7
"TRF" Member

Those look good to me. Don’t their bezels look way more thought out than the rolex’s? They do to me at least.
Old 21 May 2024, 06:18 AM   #17
Jcor7
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This makes sense, and is probably exactly why they did it. Still, I wish it looked better from the side
Old 21 May 2024, 06:29 AM   #18
slide13
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I think it's a two fold thing. Gives a little more wrist presence without increasing the case size but it also blocks the view of where the end link meets the case there which I think is actually a slightly cleaner look. You still have where it meets the case at the sides obviously, but it gives a feel of a slightly more integrated bracelet when you're not staring at all three interface surfaces of the case and end links.

I like the look, even from the profile, but I've always liked watches where the bezel overhangs some. My Sub does it a little but my FXD has even more overhang. Of course on a dive watch it's functional since it makes it easier to grip too.
slide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 06:36 AM   #19
Jcor7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide13 View Post
Yeah, I think it's a two fold thing. Gives a little more wrist presence without increasing the case size but it also blocks the view of where the end link meets the case there which I think is actually a slightly cleaner look. You still have where it meets the case at the sides obviously, but it gives a feel of a slightly more integrated bracelet when you're not staring at all three interface surfaces of the case and end links.

I like the look, even from the profile, but I've always liked watches where the bezel overhangs some. My Sub does it a little but my FXD has even more overhang. Of course on a dive watch it's functional since it makes it easier to grip too.
I actually think it looks good on the sub, and also the Explorer II and daytona which do it as well. The difference for me is that the overhang is much less and looks more intentionally designed, where as on the pictures I provided it looks like they just accidentally put on a bezel that’s too large.

I do agree with you that those are good reasons for doing it, I just wish they found a nicer way of doing it.
Old 21 May 2024, 06:39 AM   #20
drrd
"TRF" Member

It overhangs the endlink area and I understood this allows a tool to get a purchase on the underside of the bezel for removal if necessary.

Might be wrong.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 12:20 PM   #21
24hr
Banned

Quote:
I’ve noticed many of the newer models have of bezel overhang between the lugs that doesn’t look right.

You can see it on most of the fixed bezel watches. Some examples are the datejust, explorer I, and Airking

If you look an older model, like this older reference datejust, the bezel lines up with the case

I think this might be done to hide where the end link lines up with the case, but to me it makes it look like the bracelet doesn’t fit with the watch and just doesn’t look very thought out. it also makes it look like the bezel can be popped right off. I hope they eventually go back to how it was before
What model do you want? Have you tried it on and noticed this effect in person? Maybe you won’t see it in real life? Why not find a mint previous model if you’re still bothered by it?
24hr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 12:35 PM   #22
Jcor7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr View Post
What model do you want? Have you tried it on and noticed this effect in person? Maybe you won’t see it in real life? Why not find a mint previous model if you’re still bothered by it?
Haha cus I want the airking but with the new case with the crown guards and slab sides, literally the only watch where I can’t do what you suggested. Otherwise I would have :(.

I admit that the effect is probably much smaller in person, but it still sucks that there is a flaw(according to my taste) in a watch I that I otherwise think is amazing.
Old 21 May 2024, 12:54 PM   #23
24hr
Banned

Quote:
Haha cus I want the airking but with the new case with the crown guards and slab sides, literally the only watch where I can’t do what you suggested. Otherwise I would have :(.

I admit that the effect is probably much smaller in person, but it still sucks that there is a flaw(according to my taste) in a watch I that I otherwise think is amazing.
When you say the effect is “probably” much smaller does that mean you haven’t tried it on? If you haven’t then reserve all judgement until then.
Old 21 May 2024, 01:02 PM   #24
Jcor7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr View Post
When you say the effect is “probably” much smaller does that mean you haven’t tried it on? If you haven’t then reserve all judgement until then.
The issue is I put all my watches on leather straps(even my rolex). I probably won’t be able to see an airking on a leather strap in person unless I buy one and put it on myself, and I feel like the effect is only going to be amplified on a leather strap.
Old 21 May 2024, 01:26 PM   #25
Imran
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
The issue is I put all my watches on leather straps(even my rolex). I probably won’t be able to see an airking on a leather strap in person unless I buy one and put it on myself, and I feel like the effect is only going to be amplified on a leather strap.
If it's a straight edged leather strap rather than a curved edge, the bezel overhang may actually make it look even better.
Imran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 01:27 PM   #26
24hr
Banned

Quote:
Well you’re going to have to find a different watch and to my taste that’s a win because the Air King dial is a much bigger issue than the bezel hang.
Old 21 May 2024, 01:27 PM   #27
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
I don't think it bothers me
Old 21 May 2024, 03:59 PM   #28
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
If the gap between strap and case really bothers you in real life than you can always buy end links
Old 21 May 2024, 04:21 PM   #29
928ktgold

Watch: what’s next.
No
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 05:56 PM   #30
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I don’t think there’s any actual functional issue with this. I just think this makes it look weird, especially from a side profile.
Everything mostly will look weird under extremely high magnifying to a so called problem.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote