The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2017, 01:56 AM   #1
larkja
"TRF" Member

Helson Shark Diver vs Rolex 14060

Okay, I realize we're talking different universes here with regards to price, name recognition, etc. Here's my dilemma. Currently have a shark diver, and it seems as if the proportions are very similar to the Rolex - 40mm, 13mm thick (I realize the 14060 is only 12mm), L2L of 49mm (pretty chunky, but I believe the 14060 is 48mm), weight, etc. I love the lume on the Helson, and as you can see from the pics, I'm pretty close to my max on L2L (7.1" wrist).

The Helson cost me $600; the Rolex 14060 is around $4,200 with no papers, and closer to $5,000 with papers. For those that have had or still have both, did you find the Rolex to wear any more comfortably than the Helson? I find the Helson to be on the upper end of my comfort zone and would hate to pick up a Rolex, only to find it wears very similar.

My other daily wear is a quartz 38mm Aquaracer WAB1110 and it absolutely disappears on my wrist (yes, I like that). Have always loved Rolex and am now in a position to buy one. But, have always been very conservative with my money which is why pulling the trigger is so difficult.

Before the recommendations start pouring in, I have flipped a bunch of watches, and now I am narrowing things down (Omega Seamasters x5, Aquaracers x2, Tudor Black Bays x3, Pelagos x1, GSAR x3, TSAR x3, etc). I have found my comfort zone is 40mm and 12mm thick. The Helson, at 13mm, is pushing it.

Thoughts?

Thanks

helson.JPG
larkja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:12 AM   #2
Kippers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K, BLNR, Hulk
Depends what you want. A Rolex or a dive watch? Go Rolex. It'll scratch the itch.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Kippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:14 AM   #3
larkja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippers View Post
Depends what you want. A Rolex or a dive watch
I will be using it as an all-around watch. Swimming, diving, camping, etc. I don't believe in just letting a watch sit on a winder in rotation (sorry everybody). So, it will see a lot of use
Old 24 May 2017, 02:23 AM   #4
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Frankly, I would keep the Helson and save $$$ unless you have an uncontrollable desire to own a Sub.
Old 24 May 2017, 02:24 AM   #5
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Get the Rolex. You won't be disappointed. I wasted a lot of money buying and selling. If I'd just gone a got what I knew I wanted in the first place, I would have been better off.
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:44 AM   #6
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Seems as though you have spent enough to own one, yet do not own one.

Do you want to continue down the same path ?
Old 24 May 2017, 03:08 AM   #7
larkja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Seems as though you have spent enough to own one, yet do not own one.

Do you want to continue down the same path ?
Nope, that's why I am where I am

At this point, I'm either scratching the itch (Rolex), or just sticking with what I have right now (Helson, and Tag).
Old 24 May 2017, 03:12 AM   #8
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
live a little, get the Rolex
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 03:38 AM   #9
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I can't compare the two, as I do not own a Helson. I do, however, own a 14060 which I have worn for almost 20 years. I can say that it is a very comfortable watch, it is one that you will forget that you're wearing (in a good way). It's also robust enough to handle everyday wear.

I say get the Sub.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 04:15 AM   #10
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Alternatively, you can keep the Helson and maybe consider other offerings. The GMTIIs and the Explorer IIs wear very comfortably as well. They can handle the lifestyle you described (especially the Explorer). Also, the explorer II (40mm) can be found for a comparable price to the sub.

http://www.watchrecon.com/?query=16570
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 05:36 AM   #11
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
have both

I have affordable /disposable watches for work, weekends and special days its my 5513 Submariner, I bought and sold watches for 4 and a half years to afford this luxury so why not, its bought and paid for.

take the step, you wont look back, Rgds "H"
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 06:01 AM   #12
drm20

Watch: Just one more
Treat yourself and get the sub...you'll be glad you did!
drm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 06:14 AM   #13
Grant.N
"TRF" Member

Get the Sub and a Gshock for the rough and tumble.
Grant.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 06:30 AM   #14
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
For me, I have a tough time getting a diving watch that's not a Rolex. Sure, there are plenty of justifications for making such a choice, chief among them being price, but I personally would not be satisfied with a lesser watch. A Tudor Pelagos or Black Bay *might* fill the bill for me, but even my old standard Omega doesn't rate what it used to when compared to a Rolex SD or Sub.

I constantly marvel at the wrist presence of my GMT2- how legible it is at only 40mm, how well it sits on my wrist, and it's lack of bulkiness. Rolex bracelets are things of rare beauty, comfort, and function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 24 May 2017, 08:30 AM   #15
bax_tron
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Do it. Keep your shark and if you don't like the Sub, you can sell it without losing any money. But, you are going to love the Rolex.
bax_tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 09:25 AM   #16
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I don't know what model my Helson is, it has a bronze case. I do like it, it's a VERY different look from the Rolex. I wouldn't take my Red Sub diving or even swimming, I might take my recently serviced 5513 (water-resistance guaranteed!).

I have no useful advice. If you have a lower-cost watch that no longer pleases you, you'll probably find the right home for it someday. If it continues to please you, just wear it, no matter what you decide to buy in terms of Rolex.
Old 24 May 2017, 09:41 AM   #17
Sjmoore11

Watch: Exp II - old & new
I've owned both and to me the Sub wears quite a bit lighter and smaller than the shark. I'm actually surprised by how close the specs are. A lot of that impression I think comes down to the shark's thick lugs and the beefy, heavy bracelet. When I ordered the shark I was worried it would be too small...wanted the 42 mm but it didn't have the colour combo I was after. I found it definitely wore big for a 40 mm watch.
The Helson is a fine watch, and nice value for money...bu go for the sub! You won't be disappointed.
Sjmoore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 10:41 AM   #18
larkja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmoore11 View Post
I've owned both and to me the Sub wears quite a bit lighter and smaller than the shark. I'm actually surprised by how close the specs are. A lot of that impression I think comes down to the shark's thick lugs and the beefy, heavy bracelet. When I ordered the shark I was worried it would be too small...wanted the 42 mm but it didn't have the colour combo I was after. I found it definitely wore big for a 40 mm watch.
The Helson is a fine watch, and nice value for money...bu go for the sub! You won't be disappointed.
Thank you for the comparison.
Old 24 May 2017, 10:53 AM   #19
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
To me (no offense) the Shark looks like a Sub knock-off. So do you want the real thing, or are you happy with a look-alike dive watch. There is no wrong answer.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 11:05 AM   #20
Jefferyasher
"TRF" Member

Prior to purchasing my 14060m I purchased an Omega Seamaster. Wore the watch for about two weeks and returned the watch. Wanted the sub all along, but thought another would do. Get what you want instead of wishing you had another.
Jefferyasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 11:32 AM   #21
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
the Rolex is worth it...
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 11:39 AM   #22
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Buy he rolex, if you don't I promise that itch will never be scratched.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 12:01 PM   #23
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Have you tried on a 14060..or seen one in person at least?
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 12:09 PM   #24
larkja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Have you tried on a 14060..or seen one in person at least?
Live in a small town and an AD is over 2 hours away. I think if one was closer, I would have made a decision by now.
Old 24 May 2017, 01:04 PM   #25
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkja View Post
Live in a small town and an AD is over 2 hours away. I think if one was closer, I would have made a decision by now.
Are you open to a newer model Sub? If so, make the drive and see if you like it and you could leave with one from the AD right there...

But if you're definitely going preowned (which the 14060 will have to be) or have absolutely no intention of buying from an AD, then don't waste your time...or theirs.
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:30 PM   #26
larkja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Are you open to a newer model Sub? If so, make the drive and see if you like it and you could leave with one from the AD right there...

But if you're definitely going preowned (which the 14060 will have to be) or have absolutely no intention of buying from an AD, then don't waste your time...or theirs.
Definitely not going new. Prefer the aesthetics of the previous model.
Old 19 June 2017, 10:23 AM   #27
larkja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Frankly, I would keep the Helson and save $$$ unless you have an uncontrollable desire to own a Sub.
After a couple months of searching, and even considering the Tudor Subs, I am sticking with the Helson Shark Diver 40mm. I am really hard on watches, and have banged the Helson very hard many times, and it still looks great. I also swim with it 3 to 4x/week. I would freak out if I scratched and dinged up a Rolex or if I ruined an o-ring due to the chlorine in the water. I'll be bummed when I wear out the Helson (it's gained 1.5 secs in one week), but I'll only be out $600.

So, until my lifestyle slows down (might be a while), I'm just going to have to stay with watches under the $1,500 mark so that if I do bang the snot out of them, I'm not going to feel so bad.

Thanks for all of the suggestions/comments.
Old 19 June 2017, 10:41 AM   #28
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by larkja View Post
After a couple months of searching, and even considering the Tudor Subs, I am sticking with the Helson Shark Diver 40mm. I am really hard on watches, and have banged the Helson very hard many times, and it still looks great. I also swim with it 3 to 4x/week. I would freak out if I scratched and dinged up a Rolex or if I ruined an o-ring due to the chlorine in the water. I'll be bummed when I wear out the Helson (it's gained 1.5 secs in one week), but I'll only be out $600.

So, until my lifestyle slows down (might be a while), I'm just going to have to stay with watches under the $1,500 mark so that if I do bang the snot out of them, I'm not going to feel so bad.

Thanks for all of the suggestions/comments.
Do whatever feels right but you aren't going to damage a modern sub by doing any of those activities.

The Helson can do everything the sub can do for 10% of the cost. You have to want a Rolex.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 11:09 AM   #29
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
You have a very nice collection, as it is.

Why do you need a Rolex, especially a Sub?

I wouldn't discourage you from getting a Rolex, but there are plenty of other models that may fit your collection better.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 11:42 AM   #30
KingRichard
"TRF" Member

Please don't take this to offence. I am saying this with much respect:

Buy a 116610LN (ceramic sub date) and stop buying and flipping and fiddling around with mere garbage in comparison. Get in to your AD and try one on. Forget about Helson. When you buy and flip and buy and flip 90% of the time it goes more like buy and lose buy and lose. Buy and win with a new sub date. If that's too big or bulky for you, then get a 16610 (with box in papers in case you decide to flip-flop allover the place again). These watches are a good investment (unlike the rest of your collection) and will retain their value, depreciating very little until they begin to rise in value eventually obviously to exceed MSRP.

Btw, I acknowledge the fact that you have/had some nice pieces. Speedys can be good but unlike the other watches you mentioned they are a fairly poor investment.
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote