The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 July 2014, 02:52 PM   #1
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Icon8 Scratches on the platinum numbers/marks on ceramic bezel???

Was inspecting my wife's ss GMT-IIc and noticed that there is a light scratch on the inverted triangle at 12 o'clock on her ceramic bezel... has anyone else scratched the platinum coating on their ceramic bezels??? Is there an easy fix to this?

Really bummed right now...
Old 12 July 2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Oh, man... that sucks but honestly I'd let it go. You probably would need a new bezel. And it'll happen again. My wife has a Rolex and although she does pride the piece if it gets banged up, well, it gets banged up. It's her watch, right?

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2014, 03:00 PM   #3
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Oh, man... that sucks but honestly I'd let it go. You probably would need a new bezel. And it'll happen again. My wife has a Rolex and although she does pride the piece if it gets banged up, well, it gets banged up. It's her watch, right?
Yes, my wife is so careless with her watches that I cringe sometimes when I see her... I've come to accept scratches on ss surfaces but this is something that would bother me greatly if it was my watch... but I guess the watch is hers .

I guess I'm also having a hard time understanding the point of having a scratch proof bezel by making it ceramic when the numbers can be scratched!!!
Old 12 July 2014, 03:03 PM   #4
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thsiao View Post
Yes, my wife is so careless with her watches that I cringe sometimes when I see her... I've come to accept scratches on ss surfaces but this is something that would bother me greatly if it was my watch... but I guess the watch is hers .

I guess I'm also having a hard time understanding the point of having a scratch proof bezel by making it ceramic when the numbers can be scratched!!!
I understand that feeling but in all honesty if that is how she wants to wear the watch you just have to let it be. You should see what my wife does to her car. But I keep my mouth shut because my wife is who she is and I'm who I am. I can't expect her to be me. And if she was... we'd probably be divorced.

I'm sure your wife provides so much more in life than a watch.

Old 12 July 2014, 03:23 PM   #5
The_Walrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Let it go!
I should post a pic of the rims on my wife's car....
The_Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2014, 03:27 PM   #6
louis redfoot

Watch: datejust sodalite
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Walrus View Post
Let it go!
yeah, let it go...

my datejust is over 10 yrs old, i bought one at the time because i had the cash, most thought it didn't fit me. then my business hit the wall, haters started offering a few hundred dollars for it (it was never for sale). and so on...

now i have a few million, it's never looked better. i've been around. if this watch could talk. you wanna be a hustler? try rockin a rolex when you're flat broke and everyone else knows it..
louis redfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2014, 03:30 PM   #7
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Walrus View Post
Let it go!

Totally.

We had her rims insured, the dealer hates us.

Old 12 July 2014, 05:08 PM   #8
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer-PAM233
I have the same scratch at the triangle.. The ad said the whole bezel must be replaced.. So I used to live with it. Only I see it.. And that's the problem..
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2014, 05:20 PM   #9
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Guess I am the lucky one, my wife's watches are all dead mint. Don't think I could locate a single swirl on any of them.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2014, 05:46 PM   #10
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
My wife is seriously hard on her cars and her jewelry. Nothing she has looks new for long. It would drive me crazy to have my stuff look like that, but all is fine as long as she still likes it all. Only thing is, no new bracelets for her! She manages to trash the clasps and lose them. Now THAT is frustrating!
jnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2014, 05:56 PM   #11
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Same here ,my wife s six months old DJ looks worse than any of my watches have in a past 20years;-) however i like since it s just a watch

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2014, 06:32 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Although the ceramic is quite scratch resistant even that will scratch hit it hard enough.But in the real world the so called Platinum numbers are just a few microns thick coating very similar to a PVD coating.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2014, 08:40 PM   #13
bridgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Same here ,my wife s six months old DJ looks worse than any of my watches have in a past 20years;-) however i like since it s just a watch
Same here too. I let my wife wear my dj often and I noticed last week a group of parallel deep scratches on the bezel. Looks like a very small tiger scratched it with all five claws.
bridgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2014, 10:05 PM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If they don't care, and they usually never do, then let it go, it's not your watch you have to tell yourself.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2014, 02:40 PM   #15
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 16 July 2014, 02:44 PM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
I have worm my 116710ln hard and I will check next time it's out of storage at the bank. You have me wondering now
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2014, 02:48 PM   #17
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Yes, my wife is also hard on her vehicle...it doesn't take long to get all sorts of scrapes and damage even when new, hahaha. It's taken years, but I've learned not to sweat the dings and scrapes. If it was a watch I'd see it no differently, it's just stuff
CDNWatchNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2014, 03:21 PM   #18
S52
"TRF" Member

Watch: me fly-by
same issues here with my wife...

her car, phone, practically anything she handles gets destroyed... but oh well such is life. I've just learned to look the other way and be happy its not my stuff
Old 16 July 2014, 03:22 PM   #19
pfg1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622 YM Blue
Yep, had an abrasion scuff mark across the platinum triangle on the bezel of my YM Blue. I taped off the watch with masking tape, then lightly buffed out the scratch with a sunshine cloth....now looks darn near BNIB. Very pleased. Exercise caution when using a sunshine cloth.....it will polish any metal it touches, including brushed steel.....not ok to accidentally polish the brushed metal portions of your bracelet!

Good luck,
Pfg1
2019 DEEPSEA Giveaway
2018 Rolex Red SD43 Giveaway
2018 Bond Submariner Giveaway
2020 Rolex + Tudor GMT Giveaway
2020 Rolex Submariner Giveaway
pfg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2014, 04:44 PM   #20
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
I've had it on two of my gmt c's and I'm easy on watches... It's weird cause I never banged it
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2014, 06:07 PM   #21
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Can someone post a picture of the problem?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2014, 06:43 PM   #22
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Thsjiao, I have a small scratch on the gold triangle of my GMTc TT and a bit deeper one on the triangle of my YM. I wear all my watches and these kind of things happen in every day use. I am not a careless user but it's kind of inevitable that one day you will bump into something. The first scratch hurts the most, now I see the "damages" as adding patina and I am fine with it.
It's only us here who are using magnifiers to look at our watches, probably most scratches are hardly noticeable without. Just let the Mrs use her watch as she likes and you can touch up the bracelet from time to time to keep up the overall look, which I find nice to do anyway.
(Unfortunately I can't get focussed pictures)
Cheers,
joli160 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2016, 02:44 PM   #23
wombob78
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfg1 View Post
Yep, had an abrasion scuff mark across the platinum triangle on the bezel of my YM Blue. I taped off the watch with masking tape, then lightly buffed out the scratch with a sunshine cloth....now looks darn near BNIB. Very pleased. Exercise caution when using a sunshine cloth.....it will polish any metal it touches, including brushed steel.....not ok to accidentally polish the brushed metal portions of your bracelet!

Good luck,
Pfg1
Hi I am having the same problem as you. A light scratch mark on my GMT 2cermamic bezel, platinum coated inverted triangle on the 12 o'clock.
May I know in detail how did u manage to remove it? When u mentioned buffing, does it mean using just hand or a buffing equipment? Thanks

Hope u can help me as this scratch has been bugging me for years and do not wish to spend $$$$ just to replace the whole bezel for a tiny scratch in the triangle portion of the bezel

Sukamto
wombob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2016, 02:46 PM   #24
wombob78
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfg1 View Post

Good luck,
Pfg1
Hi I am having the same problem as you. A light scratch mark on my GMT 2cermamic bezel, platinum coated inverted triangle on the 12 o'clock.
May I know in detail how did u manage to remove it? When u mentioned buffing, does it mean using just hand or a buffing equipment? Thanks

Hope u can help me as this scratch has been bugging me for years and do not wish to spend $$$$ just to replace the whole bezel for a tiny scratch in the triangle portion of the bezel

Sukamto
wombob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2016, 06:33 PM   #25
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
I think it is something prevalent with the GMT 2. I used to have a TT and the triangle at 12 had also signs of wear in it.
gossbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2016, 07:51 PM   #26
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
can someone post a picture of the problem?
x2
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2016, 08:13 PM   #27
fungo
"TRF" Member

Watch: all kinds
No picture, no problem
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2016, 08:17 PM   #28
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Was inspecting my wife's ss GMT-IIc and noticed that there is a light scratch on the inverted triangle at 12 o'clock on her ceramic bezel... has anyone else scratched the platinum coating on their ceramic bezels??? Is there an easy fix to this?

Really bummed right now...
Afraid the whole bezel insert will have to be replaced myself would not even worry about it, its a plain fact of wearing no matter how careful you will pick up scratches.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2016, 09:06 PM   #29
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Let it go man. It's your wife's watch....
You should be so carefree!
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2016, 01:23 AM   #30
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
It happens. No big deal. I have a couple of small marks on my cerachrome from hammering my 116710 into one of the many things I've hammered with it. Mine are only noticeable from very close range.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote