The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you on a wait list?
Yes 158 46.33%
No 140 41.06%
Thinking about it 27 7.92%
I'll buy on the 2ndary / gray 16 4.69%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 May 2017, 01:17 PM   #31
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Never liked the Daytona so I voted 'no' and a good thing too because I hate waiting lol
Minimalist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 01:24 PM   #32
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
8-9 months before I got my white....

Still waiting for black version too.... hoping by this summer?
Same for me
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 10:00 PM   #33
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
When the Daytona-C was introduced at Basel 16 I was second on the list at my AD. After some reflection and evaluation I removed my name from the list. I have owned numerous Daytona's over the years in all metals except platinum and WG. I have always moved them along based on the size, 38.5 mm, and the money I have tied up in them. I will not pay over MSRP for any watch and more than likely will wait until I can get a discount. I have never seen or handled the Daytona-C in person and look forward to the day that it occurs. Maybe I will change my mind.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 10:59 PM   #34
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Been on "the list" (doubt this even exists in UK...) for over a year but still nothing. Ive lost hope.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 11:14 PM   #35
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I wonder if Ryan Seacrest was on a waiting list, if he paid retail, got a discount or paid premium above MSRP.
Sporting it this morning on Kelly and Ryan.

123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 01:38 AM   #36
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I wonder if Ryan Seacrest was on a waiting list, if he paid retail, got a discount or paid premium above MSRP.
Sporting it this morning on Kelly and Ryan.

Looks like a 6263 to me but hard to tell.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 01:57 AM   #37
33JS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 50th Ann
Not me. Don't like it and too small. Took my name off a GMT list when the Coke failed to materialise too.

Sent from my SM-G355H using Tapatalk
33JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 02:02 AM   #38
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Looks like a 6263 to me but hard to tell.
You are absolutely Spot On Sir.
That's indeed Ref 6263 Big Red.
I bet my bottom dollar Ryan's vintage Daytona is from 1974

meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 02:13 AM   #39
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
I gave up...
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 02:15 AM   #40
chet
"TRF" Member

I'm friends with the owner of a large AD and he owed me a favor. I told him I wanted a black one in Feb and got it ~6 weeks later at MSRP.
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 01:55 AM   #41
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
As I have an SS white Daytona, getting a Ceramic white Daytona may seem redundant, and since I have issue on the legibility of black dial Daytona, I did not list my name with my AD.

On the other hand, I have listed my name with the AD for the BLNR. I believe it was around March of 2016, thinking that most people would now line up for the Daytona.

It's been more than a year and still just promises from my AD. What irks me is the frequent promise that they will prioritize me and I will finally get one in January this year. Another promise in May, still none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:04 AM   #42
RMC12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf/Hulk/1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by zion_rasta View Post
I gave up...
Me too. I rang my AD on the morning of it's release and 'put my name down' Have since spoken to them a few times but it has become abundantly clear they have other clients who spend more money than I do with them so I have stopped chasing. I do not blame them btw but it seems obvious from my recent discussions that I will be waiting a looong time!

I am seriously interested in the new WG Daytona now so not worried about the SS.
RMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 06:15 AM   #43
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Put my name down within 10 mins of announcement and was told 12/18 months. 12 months later I'm now being told another 12 months. I've bought several pieces from this AD but TBH I'm not convinced how much weight that carries.

I'm not paying 2c above MSRP and will wait as long as it takes.

In the meantime I'm listed for 50th Anniversary SD at another AD which I reckon I will see inside 3/6 months due to a bit of recent networking...
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 06:18 AM   #44
KingRichard
"TRF" Member

I'd be on a waiting list in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Such an attractive piece.
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 06:23 AM   #45
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC12 View Post
Me too. I rang my AD on the morning of it's release and 'put my name down' Have since spoken to them a few times but it has become abundantly clear they have other clients who spend more money than I do with them so I have stopped chasing. I do not blame them btw but it seems obvious from my recent discussions that I will be waiting a looong time!

I am seriously interested in the new WG Daytona now so not worried about the SS.
Would you pay retail or close to it on the WG Jon? Or wait for a discount?
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 06:28 AM   #46
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
You are absolutely Spot On Sir.
That's indeed Ref 6263 Big Red.
I bet my bottom dollar Ryan's vintage Daytona is from 1974

Beauty!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 06:43 AM   #47
RMC12
"TRF" Member

To be honest I spoke to an AD who said I had no chance of a discount for some time. I think I'd be happy with retail if it meant I could get it fairly soon. Sounds like it might be a couple of years before discounts are available. Absolutely no interest in paying above retail though. Certainly not the £36k Chronext are quoting!! Possibly discounts available for buying more that one reference at the same time.
Old 24 May 2017, 07:49 AM   #48
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Watch: Daytona C 116500LN

I have nothing but respect for those who have the patience to wait, but be advised I had this on my wrist less than 24 hours after deciding to pay a little bit more to the grey market. The way I look at it, MSRP is not real, that's the "special insiders" price for those who are connected, commoners like us pay the real market value which right now is about $17,000 or $3,500 more.

It's Spring, Summer is coming, life is too short to stand on principle and deprive oneself of a desired luxury over a few dollars.
schnitzerphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:53 AM   #49
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Well I got my black one for $12,400 out the door a year ago. I have been on list for white and expect to have in next month or two. So it's worth the wait IMHO!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:57 AM   #50
illusionest
"TRF" Member

yes waiting, and, no still don't have it, still waiting for "the call". Been waiting since it was announced :)
illusionest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:54 PM   #51
RMC12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzerphilip View Post

I have nothing but respect for those who have the patience to wait, but be advised I had this on my wrist less than 24 hours after deciding to pay a little bit more to the grey market. The way I look at it, MSRP is not real, that's the "special insiders" price for those who are connected, commoners like us pay the real market value which right now is about $17,000 or $3,500 more.

It's Spring, Summer is coming, life is too short to stand on principle and deprive oneself of a desired luxury over a few dollars.
To be fair, that's not a bad way of looking at it!! And if you're happy then that's all that matters.

Great shot by the way!!
Old 24 May 2017, 07:56 PM   #52
RMC12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Would you pay retail or close to it on the WG Jon? Or wait for a discount?
Quote:
To be honest I spoke to an AD who said I had no chance of a discount for some time. I think I'd be happy with retail if it meant I could get it fairly soon. Sounds like it might be a couple of years before discounts are available. Absolutely no interest in paying above retail though. Certainly not the £36k Chronext are quoting!! Possibly discounts available for buying more that one reference at the same time.
Neil, the above reply was obviously in response to you. I hadn't realised I didn't quote your original question until now!
Old 24 May 2017, 09:02 PM   #53
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I'm on a wait list at an AD since November 2016. I don't have a purchase history at the AD because I recently relocated to the area. I'm told I'm number 2 on the list (black). I'm sure that is true but I don't believe the list is the "only" list. I expect that before anyone gets called, the owner decides if they will keep it for a VIP or even the grey market channel.
Last month I posted about an AD I visited in Germany that had a white Daytona in inventory which they showed me and all the popular sports models (BLNR, hulk, subs, etc) in their case but none were for sale. Of course they had lists with supposedly hundreds waiting and it would take years for people to get a watch. I suspect if a VIP wanted any of those pieces, they would get them. I also expect that if I was willing to purchase a precious metal piece, I could have bought the white Daytona too but that is just my conspiracy theory.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 09:29 PM   #54
thk1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500, 116610
#2 on the list for white at AD I have relationship with (2 Rolex in 2015 and jewelry since) since April, 2016. Later it was revealed that is the sales reps list - also manager list, owner list, etc. Have occasionally followed up since with no solid answer.

Was in AD a few weeks ago and this time actually talked with the owner. He indicated has had zero since February, but I should be ready for a call in a month or two. Subsequent conversation with sales rep indicated the key was meeting me and he realizing I'm a collector and not a flipper - next one is definitely mine. No doubt this shall be the case - straight shooter with a good overall reputation and past experience.

Also have name on list since last summer at closest AD - single location, family owned. Fast talking, pushy scumbags. Went in on Valentine's day to look for gift and inquire. The same Manager that I watched put me on 'the list' loudly disavowed any such thing, then called the next day to state they aren't getting many and it'll be years, but if I pay in full right now that is considered a guaranteed order and it should be about 3 months.

Uh, no thanks to upfront in full. I'm frankly losing interest and wonder if a blue Sky Dweller is preferred at this point.
thk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 09:45 PM   #55
zesty55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Geez, years waiting for a steel chrono! I'm new to Rolex, is this normal going on a list for years for a popular watch of theirs?

Maybe this only happens with overly-popular new steel models, and Rolex isn't interested in putting more resources into making those because they make more money on PM models?

In any case, hope everyone waiting gets theirs sooner rather than later! Sounds like lots of 'fake' spots (folks leaving themselves on that don't really want one, or already have one; folks on multiple lists that only want one) and I imagine minds & circumstances can change easily in such a time. I'd hope that'd put the extreme end of the wait down from 5 years by quite a bit!
zesty55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 10:47 PM   #56
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Neil, the above reply was obviously in response to you. I hadn't realised I didn't quote your original question until now!
Yeah, understood, Jon. I think discounts will be tough, spoke to an AD recently and while they clearly have waiting lists on the SkyD and SD43 he was trying to imply they had a wait list on the Daytona too, after pushing him he clearly didn't, and this was not central London, but if this is the attitude then it will be tough, and I just hate to pay retail on a PM piece. Will have to hunt around, luckily I'm in no rush.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 11:28 PM   #57
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Still waiting on my black 116500, though I have the option to take a white instead if I chose to or it comes first, once my name comes up.

Wish I wouldn't have put my name on the list at an AD in such a populated area
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 03:59 AM   #58
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Confucius Says

" It is much better to want the Daytona you do not have than to have the Daytona you do not want "
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 04:14 AM   #59
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

i put my name on the list around May 2016 time frame for DaytonaC white at my New York AD. Waited until early Feb 2017 - got the call!

I've been a special customer with them for a while now...
They said they put my name down
I put it out of my mind
Then I got the phone call 8-9 months later that it was in ready to be picked up

I knew I was getting one from them so I didn't think about paying one cent over retail. However, if you REALLY want the watch and can't wait then just pay the small premium over retail. Because if the wait lists are to be believed, people may have to wait years depending on when and where that person is on the list and how many pieces the AD receives - if it is years then if you factor in price increases it will work out to be close in price. Regardless, is $3000-$4000 really all that much when you're spending $12,400 on a watch?
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 05:53 AM   #60
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Well I got my black one for $12,400 out the door a year ago. I have been on list for white and expect to have in next month or two. So it's worth the wait IMHO!
Yes - got call today from my AD so 1 year later have it. So be patient eventually you will get one if you are on a list. Crazy thing is they both came in early June a year apart. Again well worth the wait versus paying premium.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote