The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 17 December 2011, 09:52 AM   #1
burneyr
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster Professional strap wearers

I have a new Speedy Pro inbound, and wanted to ask you guys with straps if you prefer the standard clasp, or a deployant?

Looking at all the pics posted in this forum, it's hard to tell what most of you guys are using.

It appears that the deployant would be far easier to get the watch on and off, and cause less wear to the strap. However, I don't know if it is comfortable, secure, etc.

Any help would be appreciated, ready to strap it on!

Oh, and a HUGE thanks to Fr. John+ and his AD. Quite easily the most pleasurable and hassle-free watch purchase I have ever made.
burneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2011, 11:23 AM   #2
caballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV/116520/118238
The omega deployant is fantastic, though relatively expensive.
Id go for a regular tang buckle
caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2011, 01:12 PM   #3
MikeyP
"TRF" Member

I really like it on a strap, and I just recently bought an OEM standard tang.

Check it out in my recent thread: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=207864
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2011, 01:52 PM   #4
burneyr
"TRF" Member

Mikey, thanks for the link, those are sweet!

Kinda glad everybody is happy with the buckles since you can get 12 Omega buckles for the cost of one Omega deployant. I plan to have 2-3 straps to change the look, so I wouldn't have to change the deployant from strap to strap.
Old 19 December 2011, 05:44 AM   #5
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Got the deployant, with omega croc strap. Lucky to find it brand new on the bay. I love it.

Totally secure, never popped open. I have heard people say there is a chance to drop the watch with a buckle, when putting on/taking off, which isn't really a risk with the deployant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speedy.jpg (94.1 KB, 1001 views)
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2011, 06:13 AM   #6
Dream99
Banned

My advice would be to invest in the deployment, your strap will last longer and look very cool, plus you are so used to this fastening system with all watch bracelets anyway. And yes they are very comfortable to wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0016 - Copy.jpg (75.2 KB, 991 views)
Dream99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2011, 06:16 AM   #7
alam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream99 View Post
My advice would be to invest in the deployment, your strap will last longer and look very cool, plus you are so used to this fastening system with all watch bracelets anyway. And yes they are very comfortable to wear.
I'm considering this very option...what's the right number for the Omega deployment clasp to fit the Speedy?
alam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2011, 06:59 AM   #8
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alam View Post
I'm considering this very option...what's the right number for the Omega deployment clasp to fit the Speedy?
The correct deployant depends up the width of the strap at the tang or buckle end. Speedy Pros are 20mm at the lugs but some straps taper down to 18mm or 16mm. That is why Omega offers two deployants, 18mm or 16mm.

The Omega deployant is expensive compared to the buckle but IMO is well worth the money. Straps will last longer and the deployants makes taking the watch on and off more secure. The low profile of the Omega deployant makes it very comfortable on the wrist as well.

My dealer has the best prices on Omega accessories including straps and deployants but he and I recommend going with aftermarket straps.

Fr. John+
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2011, 07:13 AM   #9
alam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
The correct deployant depends up the width of the strap at the tang or buckle end. Speedy Pros are 20mm at the lugs but some straps taper down to 18mm or 16mm. That is why Omega offers two deployants, 18mm or 16mm.

The Omega deployant is expensive compared to the buckle but IMO is well worth the money. Straps will last longer and the deployants makes taking the watch on and off more secure. The low profile of the Omega deployant makes it very comfortable on the wrist as well.

My dealer has the best prices on Omega accessories including straps and deployants but he and I recommend going with aftermarket straps.

Fr. John+
John - thanks. Any idea the size [tape end] of the strap on the Speedy that comes fitted with the leather strap [3873.50], also could you share the details of your dealer? thanks again!
Old 19 December 2011, 09:09 AM   #10
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
John - thanks. Any idea the size [tape end] of the strap on the Speedy that comes fitted with the leather strap [3873.50], also could you share the details of your dealer? thanks again!
Check for a PM.

My dealer should know which deployant will fit.

Fr. John+
Old 21 December 2011, 07:34 AM   #11
DiamondJack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few
I have a pre-moon 69 speedy and have the Omega deployant clasp on an Ofrei racing strap with curved ends.

The deployant clasp is really comfortable and allows the leather strap to go inside against your wrist so no metal touching skin..... If that makes sense

DiamondJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2011, 12:00 AM   #12
rkm

Watch: Rolex Sea-Dweller
My Speedy Pro (3570.50) on Alligator and double deployment. Very nice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 224.jpg (93.0 KB, 935 views)
rkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2011, 12:36 AM   #13
Dweller of the Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkm View Post
My Speedy Pro (3570.50) on Alligator and double deployment. Very nice!
+1

Me too, I prefer wearing my speedy on the OEM alligator/folding clasp
Dweller of the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2011, 01:24 AM   #14
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
I have an aftermarket alligator strap on my Speedy that I really like. I like it so much that when I put the bracelet back on and sized it I thought "Ugh, this watch is going to be worn on a strap no matter what. I might as well sell the bracelet." Anyway, I keep it on a tang buckle since I've never found a deployment for my little 6.5" wrist that would fit properly. Here are some obligatory pictures. Hope you figure out a good solution!

WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2011, 02:17 PM   #15
Craigger
"TRF" Member

Which strap is that?

It's the exact golden brown I want for my 3572. It looks perfect!
Craigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2011, 11:11 PM   #16
jmsrolls
Banned

I've tried many straps on my Speedies over the years including these:

Omega racing/rally

Omega alligator

Omega shark

Black Hirsch Medici

Black straps make for too much black for me and I like curved ends so my favorite is the gold brown Hirsch Medici.

Over time it develops a "bomber jacket" patina and vintage look:

Well-worn on the left and new on the right:

And my favorite deployant, the Omega foldover, works with the Medici.

Fr. John†
Old 23 December 2011, 12:24 AM   #17
gaopa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Fr. John, you know that I'm a bracelet man. However, I must say that your Speedy on that beautiful brown Medici strap with deployant looks great! Cheers, Bill P.
gaopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2011, 01:54 AM   #18
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
I don't have an Omega deployant but am a big believer in deployants. If you don't want to cough up the money for the $300 Omega version, you might try Bob Davis' butterfly version-- inexpensive and very nice quality.

The biggest reason to use a depoyant, in my mind, is security for your watch when you take it on and off. If you wash your hands and want to remove your watch, a deployant make it harder to drop your watch on a tile floor. The next best reason is ease of putting your watch on.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2011, 02:22 AM   #19
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigger View Post
Which strap is that?

It's the exact golden brown I want for my 3572. It looks perfect!
It's a Freda Watch Straps 884 matte Italian Alligator. Be aware of two things though: 1.) this is a "short" size only but it's perfect for people like me with a small 6.5" wrist that never can find short enough straps. 2.) I ordered the Cognac color and used several different methods to darken the strap and get the color you see here.
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2011, 02:33 AM   #20
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Here's a great ballistic nylon by our friend, Carl...

This is the "professional" setup

I have this strap and it is the most comfortable and easily adjustable, being velcro...

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2011, 03:21 AM   #21
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaopa View Post
Fr. John, you know that I'm a bracelet man. However, I must say that your Speedy on that beautiful brown Medici strap with deployant looks great! Cheers, Bill P.
We all know how forum posts sometime get us in trouble, Well, Bill's very innocuous post did me in again. Seeing his post and knowing he was around, I innocently called him on the phone to say hello.

He happened to mention that a friend in Pennsylvania had just dropped the price on a special piece. Bill pointed me to the link and gave me the seller's phone number. I hung up with Bill, called the seller, and closed the deal. The missus stood by as all this happened with arms crossed and head shaking.

Should be here on Saturday. Another white dial but not Omega or Rolex.

It will definitely be a white Christmas at my house - albeit, the dog house.

Fr. John†
Old 24 December 2011, 01:03 AM   #22
Hansch99
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M, 116200
Quote:
Any idea the size [tape end] of the strap on the Speedy that comes fitted with the leather strap [3873.50]?
If you buy a 3870.50 or 3873.50 from a dealer, I'm pretty sure you'll get a strap that tapers from 20mm to 16mm, which I think looks a little strange on the wrist. The Speedy is a pretty big watch, and to have the leather band taper to 16mm seems a bit odd, and seems to wear much narrower than 16mm bracelets, such as a Rolex oyster or some of the vintage Speedy bracelets.

If you're buying an OEM Omega strap and deployant, I'd recommend the 20mm to 18mm variety.

As others have said, they're very comfortable, secure, and convenient. The only thing I don't like about them (aside from their cost) is that you have to lay the watch on its side when you take it off.

Here's my 3570.50 on the 20-18mm strap:
Hansch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2011, 01:09 AM   #23
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

A bit of colour.

alaska15.jpg
Old 24 December 2011, 01:16 AM   #24
alam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansch99 View Post
If you buy a 3870.50 or 3873.50 from a dealer, I'm pretty sure you'll get a strap that tapers from 20mm to 16mm, which I think looks a little strange on the wrist. The Speedy is a pretty big watch, and to have the leather band taper to 16mm seems a bit odd, and seems to wear much narrower than 16mm bracelets, such as a Rolex oyster or some of the vintage Speedy bracelets.

If you're buying an OEM Omega strap and deployant, I'd recommend the 20mm to 18mm variety.

As others have said, they're very comfortable, secure, and convenient. The only thing I don't like about them (aside from their cost) is that you have to lay the watch on its side when you take it off.

Here's my 3570.50 on the 20-18mm strap:
Many thanks! these were precisely the details I was looking to confirm!
Old 24 December 2011, 01:19 AM   #25
alam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
I've tried many straps on my Speedies over the years including these:

Omega racing/rally

Fr. John†
John, is this a 20/18 band?
Old 24 December 2011, 01:43 AM   #26
alam
"TRF" Member

Another question about the original Omega Cocro straps

The OEM leather straps designed for use w/the Omega deployant clasp, what's their thickness at the end where they connect to the clasp?

I decided to get the Omega 20/18 clasp and would like to get an aftermarket cocro strap but w/similar grain as the original - any suggestions for a quality real, leather cocro strap?
Old 24 December 2011, 02:02 AM   #27
Hansch99
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M, 116200
The trick is you have to get a strap that is relatively thin and non-padded at the end for it to work with the deployant...I bet 3mm would work, but I think my Omega is 2mm. I'm not familiar with any non-OEM, aftermarket straps available that are meant to be used with the deployant, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Also, you should keep in mind that the OEM Omega straps are specifically designed to be used with the deployant, and accordingly have longer lengths (particularly on the 12 o'clock side) than the typical tang strap. If you try to convert a tang strap to use with the deployant, the deployant may not sit on your wrist correctly.
Hansch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2011, 02:24 AM   #28
jmsrolls
Banned

The original Omega foldover deployant had two pins for the strap holes. These pins were specifically spaced so as to work only with Omega straps.

The current deployant has only one pin and will work with most any aftermarket strap that is 16mm or 18mm at the buckle end so long as the strap is not too thick.

I have found that the current 18mm deployant will work with most Hirsch straps.

Realize, of course, that the keepers will have to be removed.

Fr. John†
Old 24 December 2011, 03:27 AM   #29
alam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansch99 View Post
The trick is you have to get a strap that is relatively thin and non-padded at the end for it to work with the deployant...I bet 3mm would work, but I think my Omega is 2mm. I'm not familiar with any non-OEM, aftermarket straps available that are meant to be used with the deployant, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Also, you should keep in mind that the OEM Omega straps are specifically designed to be used with the deployant, and accordingly have longer lengths (particularly on the 12 o'clock side) than the typical tang strap. If you try to convert a tang strap to use with the deployant, the deployant may not sit on your wrist correctly.
This is good to know!! what are respective lengths? Thanks!!
Old 25 December 2011, 03:42 AM   #30
burneyr
"TRF" Member

What to do now?

Thanks for all the replies, but now I have some additional strap questions if you could help me out.

My watch arrived, and my straps showed up a few days later. I intend to use Omega buckles on a couple, and deployants on a few others. For now, I'll have to make do with aftermarket deployants until I can pick up an Omega model.

First, this is a standard size strap, but I'm wondering if it is too short? The buckle adjusts directly in the middle of the adjustment range. However, it is nowhere near center, almost at the edge of my wrist. This is not uncomfortable, just looks funny, like the top half of the strap needs to be a bit longer. Is this normal?

Second, I have two different deployants right now, a Hirsch and an Axel Jost. Looking at the pair, the Hirsch has a more pronounced curvature, and is shorter. Does anybody have an experience with either? Looks like the Hirsch might dig more into the wrist if the placement wasn't spot-on, or the Jost might cause the strap to stand up off the wrist somewhat. Looking how the strap comes to the edge of my wrist though, the Hirsch seems like the better choice. My strap order was incorrectly filled, and one was sent in error so one of the two will be returned.

Also, how long does it generally take to break a new strap in? I placed it on the little Omega display in the box and shut the lid. It formed a good bit overnight, but the back of the watch still wants to ride up a bit off my wrist.

I'm loving this new watch though, I should have bought a Speedmaster years ago!