The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 March 2020, 10:34 AM   #31
HACKNSACK44
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Congrats!!
Old 1 March 2020, 11:32 AM   #32
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
That’s funny. The inverse happened to me.

I got called for an SD43 and when I showed up, they presented a black DSSD.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 11:33 AM   #33
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
What a great ending to your hunt, talk about good timing. Big Congrats to you.. I know your enjoying that Beauty!!...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 02:33 PM   #34
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

Congratulations

Awesome piece.
My first Rolex and definitely the most versatile.
bay-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 02:37 PM   #35
T-Bag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNoob604 View Post
I have been wanting to get the SD43 since it was released but at the time I had other financial compliments that were more important so I held back on the purchase. Fast forward a few years to 2019, I was ready to make the purchase and it was a good time because it marks both my personal life (marriage) and professional career (establishing my business corporation) milestones for 2020. However, like all new Rolex buyers without any previous purchase history, I was not able to source one at any of the local ADs. Some of them said they don't do "waitlist", some of them are not willing to put me on the "waitlist" (reason: too many people already on the list) and one of them said they do first come first serve. I have also tried calling neighbouring provinces and all the ADs said they don't have it and can't help me. 

Next, I thought I will just go grey but there is only one grey dealer in my city and at the time he didn't have the watch available either. The only other route is to get it online which means I will have no idea if the watch will be too big for my wrist or not (6.75") and I have to pay premium pls taxes. After a long struggle, I gave up the idea because I had to pay $5k extra (including tax) and I was worry that the watch may be fake or partly fake. A few months later I was on a trip to multiple major cities in China, Hong Kong and Macau where I have been to many of the ADs but the results were the same. In Hong Kong, I did get a chance to try out the watch at a brick and mortar grey dealer and felt the watch size was perfect but I didn't want to spend $18,000 CAD (roughly $13,400 USD) plus 12% tax and 5% duty.

After a few months, I decided to call the AD in my city that said they had a first come first serve policy which I communicated with their general manager on email before (at the time she said she doesn't have one in stock). The sales representative told me they had a two-tone Sea-Dweller and a 44mm Deepsea black dial (I felt it was too large both in diameter and thickness for me) which I kindly rejected. After the call, I felt I should pay her a visit the same day because this was the first time an AD has offered me any sports model. It was snowing heavily that day but for some reason, I felt I had to go. When I arrived she showed me the two-tone Sea-Dweller in the case but I told her it was a bit too much for my taste and maybe let me try the Deepsea (not in the case). She left to get the "Deepsea" from the safe. When she came back, she told me she had made a mistake and guess what? The watch in the safe was an SD43 and the rest was history.

Side note, one of the AD in my city told me to buy $40,000 in jewellery and they will get me the watch.
I too have an SD43 and love it. On a side note, Vancouver is beautiful. Beautiful city. While I was there last year Iwent to Rolex Boutique GWC and they couldn’t have been nicer
T-Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 02:37 PM   #36
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 02:47 PM   #37
JasTPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your story~ fantastic piece!

JasTPE
JasTPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 02:54 PM   #38
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have been wanting to get the SD43 since it was released but at the time I had other financial compliments that were more important so I held back on the purchase. Fast forward a few years to 2019, I was ready to make the purchase and it was a good time because it marks both my personal life (marriage) and professional career (establishing my business corporation) milestones for 2020. However, like all new Rolex buyers without any previous purchase history, I was not able to source one at any of the local ADs. Some of them said they don't do "waitlist", some of them are not willing to put me on the "waitlist" (reason: too many people already on the list) and one of them said they do first come first serve. I have also tried calling neighbouring provinces and all the ADs said they don't have it and can't help me. 

Next, I thought I will just go grey but there is only one grey dealer in my city and at the time he didn't have the watch available either. The only other route is to get it online which means I will have no idea if the watch will be too big for my wrist or not (6.75") and I have to pay premium pls taxes. After a long struggle, I gave up the idea because I had to pay $5k extra (including tax) and I was worry that the watch may be fake or partly fake. A few months later I was on a trip to multiple major cities in China, Hong Kong and Macau where I have been to many of the ADs but the results were the same. In Hong Kong, I did get a chance to try out the watch at a brick and mortar grey dealer and felt the watch size was perfect but I didn't want to spend $18,000 CAD (roughly $13,400 USD) plus 12% tax and 5% duty.

After a few months, I decided to call the AD in my city that said they had a first come first serve policy which I communicated with their general manager on email before (at the time she said she doesn't have one in stock). The sales representative told me they had a two-tone Sea-Dweller and a 44mm Deepsea black dial (I felt it was too large both in diameter and thickness for me) which I kindly rejected. After the call, I felt I should pay her a visit the same day because this was the first time an AD has offered me any sports model. It was snowing heavily that day but for some reason, I felt I had to go. When I arrived she showed me the two-tone Sea-Dweller in the case but I told her it was a bit too much for my taste and maybe let me try the Deepsea (not in the case). She left to get the "Deepsea" from the safe. When she came back, she told me she had made a mistake and guess what? The watch in the safe was an SD43 and the rest was history.

Side note, one of the AD in my city told me to buy $40,000 in jewellery and they will get me the watch.
Great story.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 03:02 PM   #39
PandaLover
"TRF" Member

What a cool story
It looks great on your wrist
Congratulations!
PandaLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 03:05 PM   #40
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Congratulations!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 11:10 PM   #41
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
I didn’t know that the Vancouver market was that though. Congrats on the new piece.
Giovannibravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 12:35 AM   #42
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
This is a four-year-old thread.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 05:10 AM   #43
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Nice story, and you showed great patience. The most interesting part of the story was your feeling that you must go visit her, even though it was snowing. Meant to be. Huge congrats!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 05:50 AM   #44
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The should be shamed for this type of behavior. Absolutely ridiculous. They have the right to do as they please, but this tells you a lot about their business model.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 07:27 AM   #45
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
This is a four-year-old thread.
lol exactly.
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 07:31 AM   #46
noshame
"TRF" Member

Congrats from a fellow 604'er!
Old 28 January 2024, 07:54 AM   #47
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by painexpert View Post
Great story.

What’s your motive I need to ask? You have resurrected many many older threads in the last couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote