The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 March 2020, 11:32 PM   #31
DantonIzzo
"TRF" Member

No, I think it is appropriately rated. I actually love it because I can find them at relatively good prices, compared to Rolex. I actually gave up on Rolex and recently purchase a Reverso, which I love!
DantonIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 12:37 AM   #32
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
They make too many of the wrong watches, at the wrong prices and promote the brand ineffectively.

Other than some reversos, there isn’t a reference anyone really talks about and they absolutely have no beach to board room references to play ball with the complete domination of Rolex Sports.

It’s bad. Bad enough they might be in real trouble.
That's a little extreme. Just because they don't have a hype machine sports watch model like the Daytona or Royal Oak doesn't mean they are in trouble. That would be like saying every brand outside of Rolex, AP, PP, and RM is in real trouble. TBH, I like the brand more for not having contorted itself to spit out a steel sports watch like the Lange.

I do agree though, they are missing something exciting in the model line in the $15k-$35k range....
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 05:56 AM   #33
chappuy1750
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: JLC
I really do like my MUT date and have a soft spot for JLC in that I really *want* to like them, but often there is something just a little bit off about the the design. For example, the MUT is remarkably thin and a tech achievement. But the deployant strap on it is ridiculous (IMHO) as it is twice (or maybe more) the thickness of the case. I specifically bought that watch because I wanted thin - not just a thin case but a thin, fitted watch all the way around. As a marketer, I'd say they are ticking off boxes of what they think WIS want with no real world feedback.
chappuy1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 01:58 PM   #34
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I love JLC. I don’t think they’re underrated, I think they’re just not hyped up like some other brands. That’s fine with me, it means I can actually afford them.

Their situation would be improved if they could produce a killer sport watch. They tried with the Polaris line, and they had the right idea, but they just kind of lack character. And I’m saying this as a person who really wanted to love the Polaris.

My favorite watch is my JLC Master Compressor Chrono. I think it’s a great original design, and it’s innovative in a number of ways. And the best part - I paid less for it than I did for most of the other watches in my collection.

DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 06:31 PM   #35
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
only rolex retains/appreciates in value. but JLC is no chump-change
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 08:17 PM   #36
ts3
"TRF" Member

I have always liked the brand but somehow JLC never exactly offered what I wanted at the given time.

In the 2000s I considered getting a Master Compressor but found them a little too quirky in the end. Also wondered how well they'd stand the test of time. In lieu of their more recent re-editions (such as Polaris and Geophysic) I'd rather get the original and the Reverso is just not for me.

The one area where JLC has always excelled in IMO is affordable steel dress watches. But at this point a basic JLC dress watch would hardly get any wrist time over my IWC Mark XV beater (kinda dressy on strap) and my 3998P Calatrava. And if I were to add a complicated dress watch I'd rather go Lange or Patek.

Still like JLC but it will likely not happen anymore.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2020, 12:19 AM   #37
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
I have a love-hate relationship with the brand.

The watches are affordable, if that is a word you can use when it comes to luxury, and well made in general. However, there have been quality issues that, while minor, leave me wanting more.

The comment about the company being public is spot on. Most investors could not give a damn about the longevity of the brand as long as PEs and margins are good. That's why generalization of luxury or "masstige" is the word of the day. Pump up the volume, increase the price, increase the profit, repeat.

I will still buy a JLC though ;-)
Old 7 March 2020, 12:57 PM   #38
Justindo
"TRF" Member

JLC is basically unknown to the average watch buyer but I don't think they're underrated by those in the know. I would argue that JLC is the best value in high end (not ultra high end, as that would go to ALS) watches today. That written, they have some quality control issues and their Dallas service center is beyond atrocious. Still, if you're looking for a steel dress watch in the $4000-$10,000 range, I can't think of another brand I'd sooner recommend. For the price of an entry level Rolex, you can get a Patek quality watch, albeit in steel, with a movement that actually fits the case it's in. And their ultra high end watches have amazing movements.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2020, 02:36 PM   #39
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I love JLC. I don’t think they’re underrated, I think they’re just not hyped up like some other brands. That’s fine with me, it means I can actually afford them.

Their situation would be improved if they could produce a killer sport watch. They tried with the Polaris line, and they had the right idea, but they just kind of lack character. And I’m saying this as a person who really wanted to love the Polaris.

My favorite watch is my JLC Master Compressor Chrono. I think it’s a great original design, and it’s innovative in a number of ways. And the best part - I paid less for it than I did for most of the other watches in my collection.

Hah, I started following you on insta because of the JLC photos...
Old 7 March 2020, 05:38 PM   #40
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

I'm a fan boy. And as to value some models have appreciated or retained value eg Geophysic True Second Boutique edition, Tribute to 1958 Geophysic.

Try finding another brand offering a dead beat second complication for less than $10K.

CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2020, 06:51 PM   #41
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
I'm a fan boy. And as to value some models have appreciated or retained value eg Geophysic True Second Boutique edition, Tribute to 1958 Geophysic.

Try finding another brand offering a dead beat second complication for less than $10K.

[/url]
I really like the Geophysic True Second especially when it first came out and is JLC's most handsome watch in my opinion, and is way too much overlooked.

That being said, Habring has in-house dead second watches for around $6k.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 01:09 AM   #42
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
I really like the Geophysic True Second especially when it first came out and is JLC's most handsome watch in my opinion, and is way too much overlooked.

That being said, Habring has in-house dead second watches for around $6k.
I stand corrected.. The Habring Jumping seconds model looks like a cool watch with an unmistakable Germanic design ethos. Movement finishing is on par with a $6K watch.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 01:20 AM   #43
chappuy1750
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: JLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post

That sector dial chrono is really striking.
chappuy1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 01:56 AM   #44
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 16800
Jaeger Le-Coultre is severely under rated?

Agree with others that the value is definitely there. And they’ve put out some great watches over the yrs. But I don’t understand the decisions they make. Why wouldn’t you put a watch as cool as the Tribute to Deep Sea in continuous production? They don’t even make anything like it, but it’s clearly in their DNA.

I mean, look at this beautiful watch:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 01:15 AM   #45
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
Hah, I started following you on insta because of the JLC photos...
I have to post more JLC photos then! Thanks for the follow
Old 9 March 2020, 01:22 AM   #46
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post
Agree with others that the value is definitely there. And they’ve put out some great watches over the yrs. But I don’t understand the decisions they make. Why wouldn’t you put a watch as cool as the Tribute to Deep Sea in continuous production? They don’t even make anything like it, but it’s clearly in their DNA.

I mean, look at this beautiful watch:

Yes! They should have stuck with the Deep Sea watches. Admittedly the Master Compressors are too weird to appeal to the mass market, but the Deep Seas were awesome AND had market appeal. I had a Deepsea Chronograph and loved it, for some reason I sold it and now I cry a little bit when I think about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 9 March 2020, 04:24 AM   #47
ajw45
"TRF" Member

I know I bagged on JLC for not doing a great job as a contemporary luxury watch brand but maybe that wasn't fair. Richemont did quote solid growth for the brand along with IWC in 2019 so the brand does appear to be doing well, maybe there's no need to over modernize and mass market the brand. JLC's history supplying engineering/innovation and movements for the holy trinity + Lange + others is unique in the watch world and they are still one of the few that is truly head to toe in-house for full watch making. JLC branded watches are only part of their broader impact and contribution to the greater watch industry.

If one were to play the long game, to look beyond the last few years of steel sports beach to boardroom hype, JLC's core capabilities and expertise in all facets of watchmaking provide it a foundation for continued innovation, design, and relevance in the future. JLC is the anti-RM - continuous focus on advancing core watchmaking skills in-house, a long and storied history, brand accessibility across the widest range of price points, product vs marketing led strategy, and a great balance of value and luxury. I think that there's a longer horizon to manage for luxury watch brands then other industries/categories (e.g. tech or fashion) and even if JLC is slightly underrated at the moment the brand is bigger than contemporary trends and the swings of secondary values. Heck, I'm sure Romain Jerome watches were hotter than JLC at some point and had great resale values but I don't think anyone will be looking for a vintage titanic watch in 30 years.

Old 9 March 2020, 09:08 AM   #48
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calatravato View Post
Private companies like Patek, Rolex, and AP don’t really care about maximizing profits, so they underproduce and underprice their product. This leads to the hype you’re seeing today and a thriving “grey market” which charges the market clearing price. It’s great for the brand, though
How does this make any sense? Go back to 2014, same strategy, no hype whatsoever.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2020, 05:12 PM   #49
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
How does this make any sense? Go back to 2014, same strategy, no hype whatsoever.
Can you elaborate? Who had the same strategy in 2014, and what was that strategy?
Old 11 March 2020, 03:36 PM   #50
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Jaeger Le-Coultre is severely under rated?

Admittedly a sample size of one. Bought this limited ed. 1 of 800 Polaris date with the hand lacquered and opalescent painted triple plane blue dial, brand new with an 8 year warranty for well under what a no date sub would cost. The overall quality of the watch imo, is a level, or 3, above Rolex. I cannot find fault with it. And I’m super picky. It winds from the slightest wrist movement, and gains a fraction of a second a day, everything is precise, perfectly lined up, nothing even a hair off. Rare I find a watch so perfect. And that hand lacquered and painted dial is truly remarkable. An unexpected bonus is the lume is insanely good and it’s probably the most legible night time watch I’ve had. And, 200m WR.

I don’t doubt some have had issues. But this watch impresses me immensely, and seems like the bargain of the century in sport watches.

Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 10:28 PM   #51
Exiztence
"TRF" Member

2x push crown and caseback on screws, the 200wr is very "paper" like, barely suitable for swimming according to the manual but nothing beyond that, it does look pretty thought but sub will not leak and even 3135 which has been in production since what 1989 has 48h PR compared to the JLCs 38h which is just pathetic. I really wanted to like it but it just feels like lot of cost cutting was done on this watch, saw the LE few months ago and it does look good compared to the regular production dials which look like they are made from plastic.
Exiztence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2020, 12:17 AM   #52
GK12345EMAIL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ, Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
Admittedly a sample size of one. Bought this limited ed. 1 of 800 Polaris date with the hand lacquered and opalescent painted triple plane blue dial, brand new with an 8 year warranty for well under what a no date sub would cost. The overall quality of the watch imo, is a level, or 3, above Rolex. I cannot find fault with it. And I’m super picky. It winds from the slightest wrist movement, and gains a fraction of a second a day, everything is precise, perfectly lined up, nothing even a hair off. Rare I find a watch so perfect. And that hand lacquered and painted dial is truly remarkable. An unexpected bonus is the lume is insanely good and it’s probably the most legible night time watch I’ve had. And, 200m WR.

I don’t doubt some have had issues. But this watch impresses me immensely, and seems like the bargain of the century in sport watches.

Beautiful pics.
GK12345EMAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2020, 01:59 PM   #53
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post

Amazing dial! I love that it's both rich looking, unique, and yet a nod to vintage JLC dials of the past. The core Polaris line was didn't inspire me at launch but his limited edition and the limited WT were both awesome offerings and I think good hints at the potential in the Polaris line and how JLC could develop the series in the future.

I've heard deliveries of the current Polaris watches slowed in advance if the now cancelled Baselworld well before coronavirus mania so I expecting to see some new exciting Polaris models for 2020.
Old 14 March 2020, 07:23 AM   #54
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
My experience is that my Geophysic is one of the most accurate, robust, and beautiful pieces I own. It’s been a wonderfully dependable piece and I can’t image parting with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 05:56 AM   #55
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member

Another thumbs up for the Polaris.
The dial is absolutely mesmerising in the flesh.
Can't fault the watch in the couple of months I've owned it so far. Well built, good size, super comfy composite strap and 8 year warranty to boot.

IMG_030.jpg
chunkythebulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 02:31 AM   #56
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Im on my second JLC (Master Compressor Dualmatic) and I love that it is a little under the radar but has the pedigree to go toe to toe with other brands. A lot of their designs don't particularly impress me but I will go on the record as saying that the duometre line is one of the best pre-owned buys today.

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 03:26 AM   #57
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
JLC definitely has heritage and horological cache. Like the others say, their marketing is lousy. I cant remember the last time I saw an ad in a magazine for them. I certainly remember them in marvel's Dr.Strange but that is really it. I say they rest on their laurels but should make some moves despite the moniker They are the watch maker of watch makers after all.
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 10:52 AM   #58
GK12345EMAIL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ, Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketime View Post
JLC definitely has heritage and horological cache. Like the others say, their marketing is lousy. I cant remember the last time I saw an ad in a magazine for them. I certainly remember them in marvel's Dr.Strange but that is really it. I say they rest on their laurels but should make some moves despite the moniker They are the watch maker of watch makers after all.
Lately it seems their preferred method of marketing is to create boutique only editions with a blue dial, a case marked “1 of XXX Limited Edition”, and to sell at full list price vs a normal 20-30% discount.

It’s unfortunate that, barring a few models, their watches are often thought of as boring
GK12345EMAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 11:34 AM   #59
Seaborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Brand was soft pre-covid.
Now... mega plush tp.
Seaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 12:20 AM   #60
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

They should have kept the Deep Sea line and I think they need a production model with the memovox complication.

The Polaris line is...eh ok but why in TF does “the watchmakers watchmaker” put a 38hr power reserve movement in the Polaris?!? That stupidity is enough for me to not want to own one. There is NO reason Jaeger shouldn’t have a desirable steel sports watch

astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote