The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 August 2020, 01:52 PM   #1
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Going camping!

My family and I have been habitual travelers for the last 10 years or so, mostly visiting international destinations and hitting up every continent save Africa and Antarctica, for now. Times have changed and we will probably be home-bound in the Midwest (by choice) for the next several months at a minimum. We’re very lucky to have a ton of natural beauty in the great state of Michigan and we’ve been taking advantage of the natural beauty all around us.

As a tween and teenager long ago I hiked a camped a ton with the Boy Scouts and separately with my dad and friends. That pastime went to the back burner as my school, career, and our growing little family moved to the forefront. Time to shake off the cobwebs and go camping! We booked a campsite in northern Michigan near Mackinaw City and just bought a bunch of camping paraphernalia to keep my wife and kids comfy for our first adventure. Equipment has definitely advanced over the last 20 years

Anybody else into camping on TRF? Would love to hear about your experiences and any tips you’ve picked up
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 01:58 PM   #2
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Take me with you
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 03:12 PM   #3
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

Check out outdoorgearlab for awesome reviews on camping essentials if you're still amassing camping gear. Order as much as possible from REI for free returns/exchanges if things don't work out.

Off the top of my head:
- Invest in a good comfortable sleeping pad, especially if you're car camping and have room in the car.
- Solar showers are great, we bring them camping. Make sure your soap and shampoo are 100% biodegradable
- Don't keep any food or scented stuff in your tents, bears will wan to come check it out
- We love our made-in-the-US Yeti cooler, keeps ice packs frozen for days on end even in the summer daytime heat in the Sierras
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 03:12 PM   #4
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I go quite a bit here. I like to find a space with water to fish and paddle board during the day, but that often means bugs so getting a good deet free repellent is important. Also get headlamps for the whole crew.

Don’t bother being a gourmet chef the first few times out. Simple is more fun, you’ll figure out what packs in and out well for you quickly. Brats, s’mores, and a big container of potato salad is easy. Doing dishes should be minimized.

Enjoy it! It’s such a great way to build memories with the fam that doesn’t cost a lot.

CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 03:32 PM   #5
Cazador60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5513
Beautiful pics CamSLC. We just got back from camping in the High Sierras at 8000 ft. My son is camping with friends in Zion right now. We love to camp, fish and hunt.
Cazador60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 03:42 PM   #6
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Going camping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
My family and I have been habitual travelers for the last 10 years or so, mostly visiting international destinations and hitting up every continent save Africa and Antarctica, for now. Times have changed and we will probably be home-bound in the Midwest (by choice) for the next several months at a minimum. We’re very lucky to have a ton of natural beauty in the great state of Michigan and we’ve been taking advantage of the natural beauty all around us.

As a tween and teenager long ago I hiked a camped a ton with the Boy Scouts and separately with my dad and friends. That pastime went to the back burner as my school, career, and our growing little family moved to the forefront. Time to shake off the cobwebs and go camping! We booked a campsite in northern Michigan near Mackinaw City and just bought a bunch of camping paraphernalia to keep my wife and kids comfy for our first adventure. Equipment has definitely advanced over the last 20 years

Anybody else into camping on TRF? Would love to hear about your experiences and any tips you’ve picked up
Tips on things to Bring: Matches, lots of Beer and Booze, nice air mattress and pillow, TP, water and Steaks, corn on cob, beans and Serious breakfast food - eggs, bacon, sausage, coffee, etc.
My max in a tent is 2-days. Have FUN!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 09:40 PM   #7
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I miss the days of back country backpacking and camping my my friends. Good times.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 10:18 PM   #8
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
I backpacked in CO for 20 years when I was younger, but now I don’t want to carry 70 lbs on my back at elevation anymore. We wanted to spend more time outside, so were getting up early on the weekends (5 AM-ish) to go hiking/fishing, but had to drive 1-2 hrs after breakfast and often times by the time we got to the lakes, it was hot out and we had missed the morning hatch/fishing. So we bought an RV last month so we could camp by the trailheads for an earlier start. So far just a couple of shakedown trips to test out systems (no trailhead parking) as we are getting ready for trip to MT to visit my wife’s family and AL to visit mine - my mom turns 90 in Oct and dad turned 92 last May.

While I loved waking up by an alpine lake at 11,000 ft above sea level when I was younger, I’m loving waking up in new places and having a shower and nice dinners now too.

Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 10:37 PM   #9
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
I backpacked in CO for 20 years when I was younger, but now I don’t want to carry 70 lbs on my back at elevation anymore. We wanted to spend more time outside, so were getting up early on the weekends (5 AM-ish) to go hiking/fishing, but had to drive 1-2 hrs after breakfast and often times by the time we got to the lakes, it was hot out and we had missed the morning hatch/fishing. So we bought an RV last month so we could camp by the trailheads for an earlier start. So far just a couple of shakedown trips to test out systems (no trailhead parking) as we are getting ready for trip to MT to visit my wife’s family and AL to visit mine - my mom turns 90 in Oct and dad turned 92 last May.

While I loved waking up by an alpine lake at 11,000 ft above sea level when I was younger, I’m loving waking up in new places and having a shower and nice dinners now too.
Looks like the perfect size camper for my wife and I!!! Can you share some details? MPG, Upfront cost....etc???? So nice!!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 11:46 PM   #10
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
Looks like the perfect size camper for my wife and I!!! Can you share some details? MPG, Upfront cost....etc???? So nice!!
2020 Tiffin Wayferer 25QW - gets about 14 mpg doing 70-75 with no tow vehicle. The 2021's are being built with a composite floor, which lightens the coach and gives another 250-300 lbs of cargo carrying capacity. They are built with really nice interiors (more weight) than Winnebago and other competitors so they are pushing the weight limits once you get people, gear, food, and fluids loaded, but the 2021 seems to have improved. We just pack light and don't travel with a full tank of fresh water - so far so good.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Old 5 August 2020, 12:12 AM   #11
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Drinking Georges De Latour Private Reserve out of a plastic no spill sippy cup - Now That's My Kind of Camping
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 12:26 AM   #12
royerlich
"TRF" Member

Camping near the dead sea

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
royerlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 01:06 AM   #13
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
I grew up camping in the sierras in California. We were almost always in an RV or trailer.

More recently I just spent 4 days at Jalama beach on the California coast for the first time. Beautiful spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 02:05 AM   #14
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
If you're tent camping, always nice to have something to wipe your foot on before going inside. It can get messy in there quick.
Old 5 August 2020, 02:18 AM   #15
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
Drinking Georges De Latour Private Reserve out of a plastic no spill sippy cup - Now That's My Kind of Camping
Some sacrifices had to be made when we went with a Class C rather than Class A RV!
Old 5 August 2020, 02:55 AM   #16
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:

Agreed. There's something to be said for a comfy bed and a decent shower each day.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 05:00 AM   #17
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Take me with you
Paul you're always welcome. I'll let you borrow a USC ballcap or sweatshirt, your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct.matt View Post
Check out outdoorgearlab for awesome reviews on camping essentials if you're still amassing camping gear. Order as much as possible from REI for free returns/exchanges if things don't work out.

Off the top of my head:
- Invest in a good comfortable sleeping pad, especially if you're car camping and have room in the car.
- Solar showers are great, we bring them camping. Make sure your soap and shampoo are 100% biodegradable
- Don't keep any food or scented stuff in your tents, bears will wan to come check it out
- We love our made-in-the-US Yeti cooler, keeps ice packs frozen for days on end even in the summer daytime heat in the Sierras
Great minds think alike! I ordered everything from REI except for a hatchet they didn't have in stock. Outdoorgearlab is quite helpful given the plethora of options out there. My wife has never been tent-camping to my knowledge, and my 2 boys are softies, so we're going to have to ease into this activity. I got an self-inflating sleeping pad that fits 2 adults with side bolsters that should just about approximate a Four Seasons bed for my wife and me The kids will have to suck it up on the cheap thermorest type self-inflating pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post
I go quite a bit here. I like to find a space with water to fish and paddle board during the day, but that often means bugs so getting a good deet free repellent is important. Also get headlamps for the whole crew.

Don’t bother being a gourmet chef the first few times out. Simple is more fun, you’ll figure out what packs in and out well for you quickly. Brats, s’mores, and a big container of potato salad is easy. Doing dishes should be minimized.

Enjoy it! It’s such a great way to build memories with the fam that doesn’t cost a lot.
Great piece of advice regarding the headlamps, I have one, and just ordered a couple more for the kids. We have some compact but powerful CREE LED flashlights as well. We've also got DEET products to the max as we dayhike a fair amount around here. I agree regarding the food, nothing fancy. We will have a grill that sits over either the campfire or a little fire-safe, as well as a 2-burner propane camp stove. Basic cook kit and dining kits for everyone too. Worst case scenario my picky 7-year-old will have to survive on S'mores alone, which he would do daily if it was up to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Tips on things to Bring: Matches, lots of Beer and Booze, nice air mattress and pillow, TP, water and Steaks, corn on cob, beans and Serious breakfast food - eggs, bacon, sausage, coffee, etc.
My max in a tent is 2-days. Have FUN!
Great tips! I'm guessing we will do a hearty breakfast (who doesn't like eggs?), light lunch snacks, and grilled goodies for dinner every day. Some Rose and Moscow Mules to round things out

Quote:

That is an amazing set-up you've got there. I've never really considered the idea of RV-ing as we are mostly city travelers, but it sure looks appealing and so convenient, a great way to maximize one's time in the outdoors while minimizing transit times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
If you're tent camping, always nice to have something to wipe your foot on before going inside. It can get messy in there quick.
Making a note right now to pack up the microfiber cloths! Knowing my kids it will be a lab experiment within hours of setting up their tent, which is why we got 2 small tents instead of one for all of us to jam into.
Old 5 August 2020, 10:44 AM   #18
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
I just returned from a two week 4200 mile trip to Wyoming and Colorado in my 4x4 Sprinter. More glamping than camping! Wife and daughter stayed home. Jut me and the hound! It was great! Did some trail running, hiked a couple 14’rs. Also saw some cool wildlife! Had lots of beer and grilled a fair bit!

roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 02:33 PM   #19
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Quote:
I was going to recommend buying a few boxes of wine, removing the cardboard and just going in with the space bags! I suppose your way is a bit more refined!
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 02:36 PM   #20
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Seriously though, just keep it simple. Definitely bring stuff for s'mores, but hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, baked beans, things like that are what camping is all about. There's nothing worse that hauling in a bunch of stuff that just needs to get washed.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 02:39 PM   #21
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie1 View Post
I just returned from a two week 4200 mile trip to Wyoming and Colorado in my 4x4 Sprinter. More glamping than camping! Wife and daughter stayed home. Jut me and the hound! It was great! Did some trail running, hiked a couple 14’rs. Also saw some cool wildlife! Had lots of beer and grilled a fair bit!

We've been thinking about a Sprinter van build. Do you have solar panels on your roof and did you go with a bathroom/shower or without? We're ok with outdoor showering and digging holes but I have seen some super cool setups with shower and rv toilet inside.
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 10:53 PM   #22
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
I was going to recommend buying a few boxes of wine, removing the cardboard and just going in with the space bags! I suppose your way is a bit more refined!

Back in the backpacking days, we’d share carrying alcohol and of multiple varieties. One to two people would usually carry 2 bottle of wine poured into plastic Nalgene bottles to reduce weight, while someone else would carry a plastic bottle of Jim Beam with powdered lemonade mix for pseudo-Lynchburg Lemonades over the weekend. Whoever wasn’t carrying the alcohol, carried the 1/2 & 1/2 and butter up to the lake and put it either in a snow bank or in a nearby stream to keep it cold for the morning coffees and for cooking sauces over the weekend.
Old 6 August 2020, 08:33 AM   #23
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Going camping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct.matt View Post
We've been thinking about a Sprinter van build. Do you have solar panels on your roof and did you go with a bathroom/shower or without? We're ok with outdoor showering and digging holes but I have seen some super cool setups with shower and rv toilet inside.

200 W of solar on the roof. Full wet bath with shower. I would not have a van without a full bathroom. Espar diesel heater. I’ve done a lot of upgrades as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2020, 10:53 PM   #24
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

We made it! Had two great nights in a campground just outside Mackinaw City. I chose this place on the recommendation of a friend so that we had bailout options for food and supplies. It was great for that, but we also decided that next time we are going to a place that doesn’t allow for those big camping trailers and RVs. We were two little tents in a sea of Jayco trailers

Mackinac by uscmatt99, on Flickr

The forecast changed to rain, and we decided to modify our plans and head to Mackinac Island. So we packed up and booked a couple nights at a charming little hotel with a bed, sofa bed for the kids, and a coffee maker. This place is beautiful, a few pics from our walk last night.

Old 24 August 2020, 12:02 AM   #25
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Going camping!

Good call. I never liked tent camping around RVs.