The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 August 2020, 04:31 PM   #31
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny1989 View Post
I hear what everyone is saying. But surely you’d take a YG DD40 over a steel RO (in terms of which one is more ‘special’)?
Nope. I chose the ap diver with bracelet over the gold rolex gmt. Rolex are dog 💩 compared to ap and i own two rolex. I would compare rolex to omega and even then i would pick my speedy pro over my gmt everyday of the week.
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 05:39 PM   #32
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I have three Rolex and for what they are, I don’t think anything can touch them. But AP is in a different league.

I don’t think by having a Rolex in precious metal suddenly puts it in the same category as a steel Royal Oak. Sure, if you see watches as jewellery and appreciate precious metal over finishing and movements, then a PM Rolex wins, but I don’t see it this way.

I have a white gold Daytona and I’m a huge fan of it, but would choose my steel Royal Oaks and Offshores over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 05:50 PM   #33
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
It depends on what you compare. Maybe the 116500 white over the 26331st Panda. However, there is no Rolex that you can compare with 15202st.
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 07:41 PM   #34
dj-dulux
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver
Quote:
I hear what everyone is saying. But surely you’d take a YG DD40 over a steel RO (in terms of which one is more ‘special’)?
I have the Diver (the most basic AP), its just not in the same league as the Rolex. I have been looking at PM Rolex this last week, 40mm DayDate in WG, 40mm Sub in YG. I am going for the 15500, its just feels more special.

Dupe...
dj-dulux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 08:02 PM   #35
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj-dulux View Post
I have the Diver (the most basic AP), its just not in the same league as the Rolex. I have been looking at PM Rolex this last week, 40mm DayDate in WG, 40mm Sub in YG. I am going for the 15500, its just feels more special.

Dupe...
I want this diver, a special one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14450719-8zkc7n4f6asz69ju15wn43or-ExtraLarge.jpg (141.1 KB, 222 views)
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 11:25 PM   #36
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
To each their own, no need to compare these two big brands together. It's totally personal taste or preference, most people own both.

If both of them are the public company and have their stock trade in the market, I would choose to own Rolex stock more than AP stock.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 11:39 PM   #37
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
To each their own, no need to compare these two big brands together. It's totally personal taste or preference, most people own both.

If both of them are the public company and have their stock trade in the market, I would choose to own Rolex stock more than AP stock.

Well said.

Why call a watch brand dog-sh*t on a forum dedicated to watches. It’s lame.
Old 3 August 2020, 11:55 PM   #38
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelflash View Post
for finishing, ap better. For usability, rolex better. For prestige, ap better. For brand awareness and recognition, rolex better. For exclusivity, ap better. For resale, rolex better.
+1
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 11:56 PM   #39
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15450ST Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Rolex doesn't make a watch that is equivalent to a RO. In price sure but not based on an objective examination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFlash View Post
For finishing, AP better. For usability, Rolex better. For prestige, AP better. For brand awareness and recognition, Rolex better. For exclusivity, AP better. For resale, Rolex better.
There was just a lengthy thread covering this same topic on the Rolex portion of the forum. Everyone has their own personal preferences / bias but I think these two quotes sum it up perfectly. Although in the current market conditions a RO does hold value just as well as a Rolex, long term is anyone’s guess.
Sg6067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 12:09 AM   #40
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
I want this diver, a special one!
I’ve tried on that reference and it is amazing
Old 4 August 2020, 12:27 AM   #41
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
About a month or so ago I was looking hard into either AP/PP or a gold Rolex.
I kept sending the Mrs pieces I liked... finally she came out with it.
Something to the effect of:
"Aren't you ready to upgrade from Rolex"
Ordered a 15400 Blue dial soon after.
Not a single regret.
I have three Rolex still and will probably keep them, but the AP is in a different league IMO.
Old 4 August 2020, 02:53 AM   #42
phow
"TRF" Member

My SS Rolex's are my favorite daily watches. They are more comfortable. I don't worry about them taking a hit or two. And they are great looking pieces. I love them and will continue to buy more of them.

However, NOTHING that Rolex makes in SS or PM is comparable in terms of fit and finish to a SS RO...

As others have already said, AP is simply in a different league.

To put it in perspective for those that haven't yet experienced AP ownership, I would compare the gap between Rolex and AP to be similar to the gap between a brand like Oris and Rolex.

^ I know that may be a controversial statement but it's the best way I can illustrate the gap between these two manufacturers for those that don't have personal experience with AP.

I remember how much of an overall quality difference there was when I went from my Oris Aquis to my first SS Rolex Sub. That same feeling hit me when I got my first SS RO. It's just a league above anything that Rolex produces.
phow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 09:17 AM   #43
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

I owned a ceramic SS Daytona and an RO. Huge gap in the elegance of the case/bracelet finishing. Like most replies here, no comparison with the latter being superior. I like the weight as well of the RO on my wrist. That said, they are both keepers.
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 09:17 AM   #44
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Own and love both. There is no question that the RO finishing is miles better but that is also the reason why I enjoy wearing the Rolex. Less of a worry on a night out even in PM because I know it’s less likely to show blemishes.
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 11:46 PM   #45
leisen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFlash View Post
For finishing, AP better. For usability, Rolex better. For prestige, AP better. For brand awareness and recognition, Rolex better. For exclusivity, AP better. For resale, Rolex better.
Well said.
leisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 01:23 AM   #46
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Most will agree that AP is probably a step up from Rolex. My question as a newbie is this: which Rolex model would you say is the ‘equivalent’ to a steel RO (in terms of levels)? I know it’s a matter of opinion, but, for example, is the RO a step up from the two tone bluesy? Is it a step up from Rolex pm?

I would say they are possibly somewhere between Rolex TT and Rolex PM for what it’s worth. Interested to hear the thoughts of more experienced people...
I believe it’s not comparable in those terms. Materials are one thing, finish is another. The finish on an AP will be better than the finish of a Rolex regardless of material. But the material of a gold Rolex is of course more expensive than that of a steel AP.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 01:25 AM   #47
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post

Most people own both? I‘m really happy most people are doing that well

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Old 5 August 2020, 02:20 AM   #48
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
You may have just been joking, but I think it was implied the “people” he was referring to are the AP owners on this forum. If this is the case he is correct. Most people here do own both.
By the way Nav thank you for the knowledge you’ve been sharing in your recent posts regarding movements and finishing. It has been insightful
Old 5 August 2020, 05:18 AM   #49
Wrist party
"TRF" Member

I think owning both isn’t that much of an issue, if you work hard enough or smart enough. In terms of branding, pricing and finishing, AP is indeed a step up compared to Rolex, especially their bracelets, which is artful! But those aren’t so user friendly in daily life due to the absence of micro-adjustment mechanisms, plus it’s just painful to look at a beautifully finished work to be scratched, while I got no problem leaving marks on my Daytonas. Although I also have no problem rocking ROOs all day long, it’s just the bracelets on RO are too nice to be damaged.

As for Rolex, I don’t think any of them are worth the hype. Very nicely made watches and rock solid for daily beating but that’s just it, I used to go a long way (playing the AD games, etc.) to get myself the 116500LN Panda, and I found myself deeply disappointed by the actual white dial, so I turned it down and switched to the 116500LN Black dial, which IMHO is so much better, then sourced an additional 116519LN steel dial on oysterflex, the perfect PN dial IMO, as for models other than the Daytona, I’d say just leave them, stop chasing
Wrist party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 05:28 AM   #50
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Haha I would agree that most AP owners own both but most Rolex owners do not also own AP.
phow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 06:23 AM   #51
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
RO vs Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Rolex doesn't make a watch that is equivalent to a RO. In price sure but not based on an objective examination.

That’s what I was thinking too. Nothing wrong with Rolex though.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 06:30 AM   #52
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
That’s what I was thinking too. Nothing wrong with Rolex though.

For sure. Lately my Rolex have fit my needs more so than the RO to be honest. But that doesn’t mean I think they are comparable.
Old 5 August 2020, 06:33 AM   #53
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrist party View Post
I think owning both isn’t that much of an issue, if you work hard enough or smart enough. In terms of branding, pricing and finishing, AP is indeed a step up compared to Rolex, especially their bracelets, which is artful! But those aren’t so user friendly in daily life due to the absence of micro-adjustment mechanisms, plus it’s just painful to look at a beautifully finished work to be scratched, while I got no problem leaving marks on my Daytonas. Although I also have no problem rocking ROOs all day long, it’s just the bracelets on RO are too nice to be damaged.

As for Rolex, I don’t think any of them are worth the hype. Very nicely made watches and rock solid for daily beating but that’s just it, I used to go a long way (playing the AD games, etc.) to get myself the 116500LN Panda, and I found myself deeply disappointed by the actual white dial, so I turned it down and switched to the 116500LN Black dial, which IMHO is so much better, then sourced an additional 116519LN steel dial on oysterflex, the perfect PN dial IMO, as for models other than the Daytona, I’d say just leave them, stop chasing
I feel exactly the same. I was chasing the 116500LN Panda for years and then when I finally found one and put it on the wrist it was, meh... No offense to anyone but the white dial looks like plastic. For MSRP fair but for twice MSRP it's overpriced and I would rather go PM Daytona. I realize now why Rolex saves the sunburst dials for the PM. PM Daytona is the only way to go but for the price I would rather have an AP.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 07:24 AM   #54
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg6067 View Post
You may have just been joking, but I think it was implied the “people” he was referring to are the AP owners on this forum. If this is the case he is correct. Most people here do own both.
By the way Nav thank you for the knowledge you’ve been sharing in your recent posts regarding movements and finishing. It has been insightful
Indeed, that was just a light hearted quip, knowing first hand how one can appreciate both :)

Thanks a lot for the kind words my friend, happy if what little proximity I have to the subject can be of interest.

Old 5 August 2020, 08:53 AM   #55
LoudBryan44
Banned

Watch: Hublot Aerofusion
I'd take AO over rolex anyday to wear personally.
LoudBryan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 06:15 PM   #56
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
Personally i wear my Rolex as my daily during work. Other than that its my AP or Tudor.

There's no denying Rolex is infinitely more comfortable than most APs. But as many mentioned AP is just miles apart in terms of quality.

If you had to do a comparison i would say the Daytona is almost the equivalent of an RO in SS but just a few steps lower.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk