The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 January 2018, 11:28 PM   #1
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
First Rolex Purchase Advice

I will be hopefully pulling the trigger this year on a Rolex. Coming up on a milestone birthday at the end of the year I have decided the time is right. After looking at many TRF classifieds I have decided this will probably be the way I go. The only thing that bothers me is this would leave me buying a watch on site only. This would also be the case at most AD's since they have low stock anyway or I would buy out of state. Should this make me nervous? I am looking at a 116610LN, 116710BLNR or LN, and lastly a 126334. This would likely be my one and only nice watch for life, or at least that's how I will plan for now. I don't dive or travel a lot and spend most of my time in shorts and flip flops or business casual. I feel all these would fit the bill but being as how this may last a lifetime not sure which to choose. Any input would be appreciated.
derekhayden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 11:46 PM   #2
uncufunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126613LB, 1501
have you tried on any of these watches? I'd go with the sub or gmt as a one and only
uncufunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 12:02 AM   #3
Hramez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Philippe
GMT BLNR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hramez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 12:05 AM   #4
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Go try them all on and see which one you bond with the most. Everyone has different feelings, but there's no wrong answer.

Personally, I'd go 116610LN. That's an all-time all arounder.
Old 26 January 2018, 12:06 AM   #5
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It doesn't matter as much where you buy the watch from, as long as you've managed to try them all on.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 12:08 AM   #6
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncufunc View Post
have you tried on any of these watches? I'd go with the sub or gmt as a one and only
I have tried a Sub many years ago pre ceramic. I am leaning toward the GMT as of now but for some reason the DJII has been looking more attractive lately. I have plans to go to some AD's next weekend and hopefully try on some if they have stock.
Old 26 January 2018, 12:10 AM   #7
rossi46
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
It doesn't matter as much where you buy the watch from, as long as you've managed to try them all on.
100% agreed.

It does seem strange to wire thousands of dollars to a stranger you met online, but many of us have done just that. Do your due diligence by checking out sellers' reputations on the "Who's who?" subforum here.

There are a number of resellers that have built up impressive reputations over the years. Some have even parlayed their success into true B&M storefronts. Not pawn shop in any way, but true businesses.

Once you have the watch on your wrist and go about your daily life, where you got the watch from will pass from your mind pretty quickly. Personally, I find the "AD experience" to be completely overrated. At least in NYC, sales people generally know very little about the product and almost seem bothered to attend to you.
Old 26 January 2018, 12:11 AM   #8
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
This is what I am hoping wont be a problem. I had an 216570 so I am fairly sure the Sub and GMT I would feel comfortable buying without trying on. I will have to try on a DJII just to get that out of my system. It seems like every time I get it narrowed down something new grabs me
Old 26 January 2018, 12:14 AM   #9
uncufunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126613LB, 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhayden View Post
This is what I am hoping wont be a problem. I had an 216570 so I am fairly sure the Sub and GMT I would feel comfortable buying without trying on. I will have to try on a DJII just to get that out of my system. It seems like every time I get it narrowed down something new grabs me
hahaha. easy fix: become a flipper or have a collection
uncufunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 12:14 AM   #10
meganfox17
Banned

meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 12:24 AM   #11
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Just visit an AD and ask to try them on. Then come back and buy on TRF
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 12:26 AM   #12
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Just visit an AD and ask to try them on. Then come back and buy on TRF
Old 26 January 2018, 12:29 AM   #13
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Being out of production, DJII's are becoming scarce among AD's, with little choice of material, bezels or dials.
In the NY area many AD's have a couple of DJ41's in the case.
Old 26 January 2018, 12:38 AM   #14
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Being out of production, DJII's are becoming scarce among AD's, with little choice of material, bezels or dials.
In the NY area many AD's have a couple of DJ41's in the case.
My fault, I am looking at / for a DJ41. My OP had that but then I subsequently called it a DJII in other posts. Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking this would be fairly easy to find and try on at a local AD. It seems only the sport models are few and far between. Trying the DJ on will either clear things up for me or make them worse.
Old 26 January 2018, 12:39 AM   #15
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
This would likely be my one and only nice watch for life......
That's what I said nine months ago.......as I'm now shopping for a second one. Find solace in that if it's not a perfect lifetime fit, the resale value will allow you to get into something different. Good luck!
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 12:42 AM   #16
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Find solace in that if it's not a perfect lifetime fit, the resale value will allow you to get into something different. Good luck!
Thanks, this is my thinking and what pushes me towards Rolex also. Seems like for resale the BLNR would beat out most. Afraid I would lose some on a DJ41, at least form what I have seen.
Old 26 January 2018, 01:08 AM   #17
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Seems like for resale the BLNR would beat out most. Afraid I would lose some on a DJ41, at least form what I have seen.
Quote:
This would likely be my one and only nice watch for life...but being as how this may last a lifetime not sure which to choose
I'm confused.Contradictory statements here.My initial post was based on what you said at the beginning. You haven't tried on the watches yet and now it's the resale value of BLNR? Please enlighten me
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 01:30 AM   #18
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
I'm confused.Contradictory statements here.My initial post was based on what you said at the beginning. You haven't tried on the watches yet and now it's the resale value of BLNR? Please enlighten me
I have yet to try on any of the watches I am looking at correct. Although I did have a 216570 which would make me feel more comfortable purchasing a Sub or GMT if I could not find one to try on. The resale value was only brought up as a response to another member who brought up reselling if I decided on another watch in the future. Hope this clears up some of the confusion.
Old 26 January 2018, 02:43 AM   #19
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

You didn't mention your wrist size, but if it's 7.5" or more, I'd suggest going with a ceramic Sub or Sea Dweller. The ingenious variable-length glidelock bracelet (fitted as standard equipment on the dive watches) will ensure a perfect fit out of the box, and will come in handy during your long hot summers, lol. And, imho, you simply can't go wrong with the classic, handsome, iconic beauty of the Sub or SD. I'm also a big GMT and DJ fan, but with a 7.5" wrist, I almost always need an extra bracelet link (the 5mm Easylink extension just doesn't do it for me). As a repeat customer, my AD always helps me achieve a perfect fit. Another strong reason for shopping at an AD. Good luck with your search! Regards, -rick.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 02:50 AM   #20
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for all the good advice. I will be making a weekend of hitting AD's and trying on pieces hopefully in a few weeks to help narrow it down. I would probably be fine with any of my choices. While dropping $10K is a drop in the bucket for some on this forum it's not a everyday activity so I tend to over think things. Hell most of my cars I have bought are in that range....but never been a car guy or wanted a payment I appreciate the time people take to give opinions on things I am sure some seem trivial.
Old 26 January 2018, 03:21 AM   #21
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the good advice. I will be making a weekend of hitting AD's and trying on pieces hopefully in a few weeks to help narrow it down. I would probably be fine with any of my choices. While dropping $10K is a drop in the bucket for some on this forum it's not a everyday activity so I tend to over think things. Hell most of my cars I have bought are in that range....but never been a car guy or wanted a payment I appreciate the time people take to give opinions on things I am sure some seem trivial.
I know what you mean.

But in the world of Rolex a 'mistake' can be corrected simply by selling the old watch. You'll get most of your money back provided you didn't overpay in the first place. (eg. don't pay more than MSRP for an SD43)
amh is offline   Reply With Quote