The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Reference Library

Old 19 April 2015, 01:53 PM   #61
spd707
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Great post! Very informative!
spd707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2015, 11:58 PM   #62
joejeweler

Watch: Rolex 114060 Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

(Super)Luminova:

A Japanese invention from the company Nemoto, the non radio-active substance, Luminova, was introduced in 1998 when Tritium was (at least widely) banned. Time spans for the use of Luminoa is:

a) 1998 - 2000: Dials (again) marked "SWISS" at 6 o' clock

b) 2000 - : Dials marked "SWISS MADE" at 6 o' clock.

The terms "SuperLuminova" and "Luminova" describe the same paint compound. Technically, there is no difference between the two, but "SuperLuminova" is a term reserved by Nemoto's European partner, Tritec.

SuperLuminova is not (yet!) known to discolour by age. But SuperLuminova is quite fragile and does not like humidity which can make it crumble. Some companies solve this issue by applying a thin coat of clear lacquer to the markers of the dial.

(sources: Luminous markers and this article.)

OK,.....from the highlighted description of SuperLuminova above its stated "it is quite fragile and does not like humidity".

I just purchased a new Rolex 114060 No Date Submariner and I'm wondering about the single raised "bump" of this material on the outside of the bezel ring?

It's certainly "exposed" to the possibility of physical abrasions,.... AND you can't get any more "humid" than a trip in the ocean or lake!

So what gives on the the long term prospects of this small dome of lume holding up, given it's exposed location? I can't see a coating of lacquer overcoming the listed deficiencies.

It has been over 3 years since this model has come out, and many more of the previous versions of the Submariners and Deep Sea Models,....

......has anyone had a problem with this lume area of their bezel?

If not,...perhaps Rolex fits a small dome sapphire cover over the lume paint in this area??? Just wondering......
joejeweler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 09:52 AM   #63
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejeweler View Post
OK,.....from the highlighted description of SuperLuminova above its stated "it is quite fragile and does not like humidity".

I just purchased a new Rolex 114060 No Date Submariner and I'm wondering about the single raised "bump" of this material on the outside of the bezel ring?

It's certainly "exposed" to the possibility of physical abrasions,.... AND you can't get any more "humid" than a trip in the ocean or lake!

So what gives on the the long term prospects of this small dome of lume holding up, given it's exposed location? I can't see a coating of lacquer overcoming the listed deficiencies.

It has been over 3 years since this model has come out, and many more of the previous versions of the Submariners and Deep Sea Models,....

If not,...perhaps Rolex fits a small dome sapphire cover over the lume paint in this area??? Just wondering......
I believe the pearl is fully encased, not a drop of lume on the insert.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2015, 07:10 AM   #64
Mr.H
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Tank you Larry, very informative. As other vintage owners will attest, many still glow after 40+ years.

My 1967 5513 still glows
Brandrea, please elaborate on how the glow work on your 1967 5513. I have the same watch, and it glowes just a little without light exposure. With light exposure, the glow is strong and last for some minutes at least. But not for the fulø night.
Mr.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2015, 12:29 PM   #65
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejeweler View Post

There is a sectional drawing of how it's done somewhere but simply put its completely enclosed by some sort of transparent material. Like the poster above said in a way. It's like a pearl inside a sealed glass. This is how fake bezels are easily recognized IMO.
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2016, 04:01 AM   #66
greg171282
"TRF" Member

Fantastic info
greg171282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2017, 09:20 AM   #67
Chris Was Here
"TRF" Member

Watch: A McCallitt
Most informative. I had no idea about Tritium/Luminova technology, and wondered why some watches shine bright in the night while my GMT1 goes into stealth mode soon after the light's turned off....
Chris Was Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 10:03 PM   #68
Polo3478
"TRF" Member

Wow. Thanks for the great info!
Polo3478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 09:21 AM   #69
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Would you say that the new 214270 Explorer 1 has the best Rolex lume so far?

cheers!
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2019, 04:56 AM   #70
Oyster84
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126613LB
I know it's old but great post nonetheless. I'd love to have my dial markers coated with Radium! It glows, glows, and glows some more. It just goes to show, that they don't make anything like they used to. Oh it causes cancer? Well so does EVERYTHING else... lol
Oyster84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 08:31 AM   #71
milwatch126
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1962, 5512
Great post. Any info on gilt exclamation mark and under line dials? Were they a mix of radium and tritium luminous?

Thanks,
M
milwatch126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2019, 09:27 PM   #72
poppop1955
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Very informative for someone looking to purchase his 1st Rolex like me.
poppop1955 is offline   Reply With Quote